• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
!!e!Uplg!2M~$(KGrHqJ,!i!E0EyV9Ej-BNP3gcEQGg~~_35.JPG

This game blew my mind as a young pupper in the old times. 3D graphics on a handheld?! WTF. Nintendo replicated the original SM64 "WTF" moment for a younger generation who missed out! What are your memories of SUPER MARIO 64 DS (2004)?

Last edited:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't miss out on the original Super Mario 64 on release (though I may have been a bit young to appreciate how mind blowing it was) and I still found holding it in my hands on my DS crazy when I got it that Christmas. I just sat in the castle garden listening to the birds in the background for awhile, running around a bit. It felt crazy!

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nothing really. I never was interested in picking this up even though I had the OG DS.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I had an N64 as a kid but didn't get Mario 64. The DS version was my first play of it and I loved it.

Sure I didn't know what the comparison was before I eventually played the original. But for people like me who had a DS as a tween, it was a great time. One of my most cherished DS games next to Mario Kart DS.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing, despite playing Mario 64 for the first is probably being one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I thought seeing a real 3D handheld platformer was the most surreal thing. I loved it despite playing it all with the DPad. It really did feel like a turning point in what handheld games could be to my young mind that still remembered getting the original Mario 64. The additions were cute too. The minigames are still some of the best use of the touch screen on the system...

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Playing with that stupid thumb nub thing on the strap and getting frustrated- being obsessed with one of the included mini-games for awhile. Bouncing back to my PSP thinking that Sony was going to own handhelds. lol

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
To me it means we're a year away from it being double the length of time between the original and the DS version.

We're due for a proper remake Nintendo bring it on

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already had a PSP at the time, so the graphics were certainly not something to get excited about. Played a demo at a store and hated the controls, so I never bought it.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
"Hey cool I can play Mario 64 in my hands without booting up my N64 from storage"

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The most glorious minigames ever with a weird take on SM64 on the side.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
It was my first experience playing SM64 at all and I really enjoyed all of it.

Played it years later as an older teen and still really enjoyed it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64 is an important game to me but Super Mario 64 DS doesn't really mean much to me. I barely played it and I am glad it exists, I don't have any preference for it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up with Mario 64, playing the game on a handheld totally rocked my world. I didn't think such a thing was possible back then.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
A miserable pile of secrets.

I really wanted to check out all the new content, but I just couldn't stomach the DS controls. I tried again years later on the 3DS, which was a little better with the analog pad doohickey, but I dunno, I guess it was just too late. Played a few levels and said "meh" and never went back. I fucking loved the original and played it a 100 times from beginning to end, but I was burned out before the turn of the millennium. No idea how speed runners do it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
That shitty SM64 port without a stick and with a run button.

Sorry.

yuuuuuuuuup

had some sweet touchscreen minigames though. the original mobile games tbh.

also a terrible reminder of my mortality. there's been more time between now and sm64 ds than there was between sm64 and sm64 ds when it was released.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"Wow, Jolly Roger Bay isn't completely fucking hideous, just a bit dull and empty"

It's decent. Wish they'd update this port to run in a higher resolution and have more traditional analogue controls.

Never was a huge fan of the original 64 though I can appreciate its importance at the time, and I think most of the changes made aside from not having a joystick are positive ones.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought it was cool to be playing Super Mario 64 on a handheld and I loved all of the new content. Shame about the controls. If they could make a version with proper analog controls it would probably be the definitive version for me

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Just meh. Playing it felt off, like, I couldn't get a full grasp at the controls. And they also did my boy Wario a crime, poor man is useless.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I hated not getting to be Mario for what felt like ages, and the new stuff all felt like it was from one of those lame rom edits. Original for me.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was released far too early as it would have been great on the 3DS. I also hated the game controls and couldn't get into Mario 64 till I played it on the original N64, though I 100% the game on the Wii U.

Plus it's the only time we get to play Yoshi in 3D.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I remember being disappointed that the rightmost door in the character select room just contained a star and not a secret extra character.

The star hidden in the mirror room is still my favorite star/shine/moon location in any 3D Mario game.

Overall I really loved it. Played it to 100% completion, lost the cartridge, bought it again and played it to 100% for a second time.

The touchscreen minigames were amazing too. I swear half of them are better than modern mobile games.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A game with some interesting new things but with extremely gimped gameplay compared to the original.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the game even existed ws amazing at the time. I absolutely hate playing it though (and even did back then). I would love it if we got another Mario 64 remake that included the new content from DS but gave us proper controls along with a classic mode that is just the OG Mario 64 with better graphics and camera controls.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I love Mario 64 and I really disliked this version. I was super excited to get it but dropped it after a few hours. The controls just made for a worse experience than the original and the new characters didn't do anything to add to the experience for me personally.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
It means that no matter how good the game is if the control sucks.
Also it shows how much the industry has evolved in 8 years, the character models for the ds had much less polycount than the 64 version and yet they look much more similar to artwork assets

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was definitely an inferior version of Mario 64, but it had some neat ideas. It was the first time you could ever play as Yoshi in a 3D platforming space, actually.

The best part of the game that I never really see anyone talk about was the minigame collection though; I remember playing them for hours and hours.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
It's the game that I got with my launch Nintendo DS as a ten-year-old boy. Absolutely hated it due to the controls and have never tried playing the original Super Mario 64 because of it (which I probably should one day). Got WarioWare Touched! shortly after and never looked back.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Mario 64 feels like it should have Wario in it, to me. The weird secrets in the overworld and some of the specific new enemies definitely feel like spiritual associates of Wario game design ideas.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
Only version of SM64 I've played. Got it as a kid with my original DS and was blown away.
Never had any problems with the controls – I think the complaints are overblown. Got all 120 original stars and most of the bonus ones too.
Lots of good times with the minigames, as well!