• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rare, Insomniac & Nintendo EPD have the best selling New IP Exclusives this gen. Are you surprised?

• You gotta be kiddin me, Yes!

Votes: 36 19.8%
  • No, these things happen

Votes: 69 37.9%
  • You don"t know what you're talking abt

Votes: 77 42.3%

• Total voters

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm fairly sure Sea of Thieves has been the most successful new IP from Microsoft this generation. Don't think the OP is wrong with that assumption at all.

With 5 million Xbox accounts that have played the game in August, the best selling new IP at launch for Microsoft this generation and the game coming back in the European sales charts this winter, I'm fairly sure it has done well.

The game has a really active community and fanbase. And Rare is doing a lot of work to add stuff to the game.

GamePass or not.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
It's funny how people think they the Era actually reflects the gaming market. There was some hype during launch, a bunch of streamers and youtubers played the game, the game seems kid friendly for parents and the coop system incentivises you to convince your friends to buy it and play it with you... Even though this forum hates it I think it is pretty safe to assume Sea of Thieves was actually a relatively sucessful game saleswise.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's funny how people think they the Era actually reflects the gaming market. There was some hype during launch, a bunch of streamers and yotubers played the game, the game seems kid friendly for parents and the coop system incentivises you to convince your friends to play it too... Even though this forum hates it I think it is pretty safe to assume Sea of Thieves was actually a relatively sucessful game saleswise.

It was successful, probably 2-3 million level successful which is honestly still really good at this point. It's just that using amount of players and such is a pretty dumb metric, in that case Mortal Kombat 'sold' like 20 million units.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised about Sea of Thieves as Microsoft has barely had anything this generation whatsoever. Horizon is easily believable. 12 Switch holy shit...that's a surprise and very depressing actually but it does fit with Nintendo and the vast majority of their user base so at the same time, I guess it's really not surprising. Still depressing though.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Of course Sea of Thieves is the best new IP, it's the best IP already

Have you ever done a 2 hour voyage with your squad only to have someone roll up on you with like 30 secs notice, totally push your shit in, but you somehow stay alive because they keep hitting the same spot on your ship?

Then when you go onto their ship and take them out, steer their ship into a goddamn mountain and sink it?

Shit is cash money

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I didn't realize that Sea of Thieves would sell that well. Always thought it'd be more niche than Rare even expected. You don't hear much about it anymore.

We don't know what Sea of Thieves sold or didn't sell. The OP made up numbers based on "player count" PR, then managed to imagine up an additional 3 million to tack on to those numbers for good measure.

I think we can assume it's Microsoft's best selling new IP in terms of their studios (per the OP's premise), that's certainly a fair assumption, but we can't say the player count is units sold.

Last edited: