• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Hi All,

My son is desperate to start recording his gameplay so that he can upload videos to YouTube. I have no idea what kit he is going to need so was hoping the forum could point me in the right direction.

He mainly plays on his Xbox in his bedroom. We have a designated PC room and he occasionally plays in there too. Is there a device that can be moved between the 2 and record gameplay? He wants to capture his party chat too including his own voice......how would he go about doing that?

I think the format he is generally going for is to record a short intro (so will need webcam + mic) and then show his gameplay.

Any help would be much appreciated.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
For the Xbox, look for a Elgato HD60. You can just use the Xbox Gamebar to record gameplay on PC. (shortcut Windows key + G)

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
It's been a long time since I've done it, but I used an Elgato capture device then and I know they're still popular now! Very straightforward. The 4K60FPS version would do them for a while, I'm sure.

EDIT: As for a mic, something like a Snowball pretty effectively splits the difference between not breaking the bank / having quality sound. Don't forget a popscreen, too!

OP
OP

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen that but was a little confused as to what the difference was between the HD60 and HD60s. Does anyone know?

Any recommendations for webcam and mic?

Is it straightforward to record his party chat including his own voice?

Thanks

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Elgato hd60 is a good choice. I use it currently and it works great on both my ps4 and Xbox one. Just make sure the specs for your pc are good enough. Also the computer needs to be near the Xbox one. A snowball for a good mic and Logitech he webcam are good choices. A good light should be next on your list.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
As mentioned, however, let me add my two cents. The Elgato HD60 S is a good device (external), as is the AVerMedia Live Gamer Mini. If they are just going to capture 1080p footage then both are great.

Also keep in mind that the Elgato HD60 S and HD60 S+ (4K passthrough) requires a USB 3.0 port. The Live Gamer Mini does not, it uses 2.0 and has near-zero latency. It's also a few dollars cheaper.

You also can place a Splitter that connects to the Console and TV ->, so you don't have to reply on the passthrough of the device. The good thing about that is if the capture device is off, or the PC is off, you can still play the console.

OP
OP

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Elgato hd60 is a good choice. I use it currently and it works great on both my ps4 and Xbox one. Just make sure the specs for your pc are good enough. Also the computer needs to be near the Xbox one. A snowball for a good mic and Logitech he webcam are good choices. A good light should be next on your list.

Thanks.

His Xbox and the PC are in separate rooms. Does the Elgato have an SD card slot?

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
A severe lack of morals
Racist tendencies
A massively overinflated sense of self worth

With all of those three things, he's bound to be sorted!

(Seriously though, get an Elgato HD60 or HD60S, a Blue Yeti/Yeti Nano and he'll be set)

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks.

His Xbox and the PC are in separate rooms. Does the Elgato have an SD card slot?

It does not. You'll have to have it hooked up to some sort of smart device to offload video.

They do not. If you require an SD Card Slot, then the only options are the AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus and Live Gamer Portable 2. Both can capture footage without the use of a PC, and capture to an SDcard.

Keep in mind, these are headless, so if problems arise, you won't know until it's too late.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
So for capturing gameplay from PC you need to use an external device? I thought recording softwares could do the job just as good.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

No. As someone else said look to avermedia. I believe those options are good but as someone else said you may not know there is an issue until it is too late. Also I have heard Avermedias software isnt great. Elgato's isnt much better however you can record using OBS.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
There are several different software options for capturing from PC. I currently use OBS, which takes a bit to set up, but it's free and good quality.

Recording on PC just requires software. The actual equipment comes in when you want to record console gameplay.

Great, I also use OBS on my PC for streaming. I thought having a capture card might somehow improve the performance, guess I was wrong.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Great, I also use OBS on my PC for streaming. I thought having a capture card might somehow improve the performance, guess I was wrong.

The only time you really need to think about that is if you're playing something at super high fidelity and resolution and you want to offload capturing that super nice picture to another PC. Then you would use a capture card to connect your gaming pc to your streaming PC.

But if you're playing at 1080p, you don't really need to do that.

OP
OP

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all of the replies.

Does anyone have experience with recording party chat from console using Elgato (including their own voice) and can explain how it's done....I've read that there is an additional cable required to be able to record your own voice?