• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Come after a Switch port of Metroid Prime Trilogy HD Collection.
Haha, that's about it for me too, I REALLY want to have the Prime Trilogy in Switch.

I'm sure it'll look really good and play well, so I don't have any crazy expectations there.

Only specific thing is maybe too have scanning to be a bit easier. Don't have it be it's own seperate visor you have to switch to anymore, just have it as something you can use with any visor.
It could open up things like having scannable objects only visible with certain visors.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, that's about it for me too, I REALLY want to have the Prime Trilogy in Switch.

I'm sure it'll look really good and play well, so I don't have any crazy expectations there.

Only specific thing is maybe too have scanning to be a bit easier. Don't have it be it's own seperate visor you have to switch to anymore, just have it as something you can use with any visor.
It could open up things like having scannable objects only visible with certain visors.
They've got more buttons to work with now. They could easily assign scan visor to holding down one of the shoulder buttons.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
To meet them? Be as good as either MP1 or 3 and look pretty (as pretty as whatever platform it's on, whether it's the Switch, hypothetical Switch Pro or even a successor console, would reasonably allow with a consistent 60fps).

To exceed them somewhat? Include gyro aiming that works very well.

To exceed them a lot? Fully playable in VR.

To blow my fucking mind to smithereens? Make it third person, have it play like Other M (except have analog movement and map the damn controls to an actual modern controller, not a sideways wiimote that feels like a NES controller) but otherwise have the world, lore and exploration of the Prime games.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and be a good (hopefully great) Metroid Prime game, with all that implies. What else should it need to do?

The whole point of the thread is that I don't know what that implies. These are non-answers. If Metroid Prime 1 is a great Metroid Prime game, what can 4 offer vs a remake of Prime 1? Is the Metroid name more valuable than the actual contents of the game at this point?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'd want it to feel like a triple A non-nintendo game, really.
Like have it be a different kind of Nintendo game, sort of how Metroid, Returns and Super felt at the time.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a particular fan of the Prime series, so honestly my main hope for Metroid Prime 4 is that it's willing to break with tradition and try out new ideas. Most obviously, I think it probably ought to adopt a dual-analog setup to allow Samus to rotate and strafe simultaneously. It could also be neat to use gyro controls to allow Samus to move the reticle around the screen and quickly paint multiple lock-on targets without actually having to shift her viewpoint. And varying up the room sizes to include some much larger caverns and outdoor environments could be especially effective in making the world feel more alive, I think.

But more generally, I'd prefer to see a much more minimalist approach for MP4, with combat, text logs, scan visors, and rote backtracking de-emphasized in favor of isolated atmosphere, fluid movement, and an organic sense of place.

And it'd be swell to see space jumping and shinesparking finally included in a meaningful way, with level design dense and vertical enough to make good use of them.

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly I don't get the idea that Prime's environments are at all "gamey" either. They don't feel forced to fit a theme, and a ton of work was put into tying them together through shared elements like Chozo art and architecture and Space Pirate installations, and there are subtle elemnts that hint at transitions like the heat venting from the ground in the lower parts of Tallon Overworld that lead to Magmoor. Some areas are "physically" connected, like the sunken frigate, which I guess would be the "water" area, which feels well justified and is actually physically connected to the rest of the area, or the view into the impact crater from the elevators in the Phazon Mines, which of course isn't really connected but grounds you in the setting and makes some logical sense. Phendrana feels a bit disconnected I guess, there isn't a strong transition between it and Magmoor, but it continues so many elements from the Chozo Ruins that it doesn't feel inconsistent.

I actually think that Corruption has the least well executed envrionments in the trilogy sadly. I struggle to remember a single room from the Pirate Homeworld aside from that main courtyard and the room where that giant worm thing was being dissected. The later portions of Bryyo weren't great, IIRC a large part of lower Bryyo was taken up by basically a big square of corridors connecting a couple of repeated Space Pirate installations you had to take out. The icy area there was neat but very small, and talk about your jarring transitions. Skytown is awesome conceptually and its exteriors are gorgeous but its interiors were pretty repetitive from what I remember. I think Echoes had stronger environments at least in the light world. A lot of Agon is kind of bland, but Torvus is brimming with detail and is really solidly constructed in general. Sanctuary Fortress is nuts and has the most abrupt area transition in either of the first two games, but everyone forgives it because of how hard it allowed Retro's artists to flex. I have mixed feelings on it, but it styles on the Pirate Homeworld for sure, and has much more variety than Skytown.

FROM goddamn rules. Prime is my favorite game of all time, but Dark Souls is in the fight for second. I think Bloodborne is the apex of their art direction so far, but Dark Souls has a Prime-like groundedness to its connected setting, and crazy variety with few real misfires. Sekiro was a disappointment to me from an art direction perspective. As much as I loved how Bloodborne looked I hope its nightmarishly intense hyperreality isn't the basic template for all of FROM's games going forward. I didn't like how it overtook Dark Souls III's look, Dark Souls was fantastical but still more neutral and DSIII felt too much like a Bloodborne derivative. Wonder what Elden Ring will bring.

I agree with some of these takes, but I will fight to the end that Corruption had the best art direction :p. Something about 3's as well though, because I think DS3 is FROM's strongest work artistically. I just wish Retro's character/creatrue art was as good as their environmental art... FROM definitely has them (and everyone else) beat in that regard.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Climbing up ledges.

After DOOM 2016 and Prey 2017 I feel spoiled with this kind of traversal. It just feels fun and it looks like Doom Eternal will also feature more first-person parkour through its levels.

Retro should be taking some notes, too, as well as trying to craft areas that can top what has come before, meaning to say great level designs from Quake(1) and the original Metroid Prime where levels loop around on themselves.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The whole point of the thread is that I don't know what that implies. These are non-answers. If Metroid Prime 1 is a great Metroid Prime game, what can 4 offer vs a remake of Prime 1? Is the Metroid name more valuable than the actual contents of the game at this point?

Fair enough. I see what you're getting at, I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me personally at least, Metroid Prime 4 doesn't need to do anything mind-bogglingly different or amazing for it to meet my expectations. I would prefer it to hew more closely to Metroid Prime 1's design ethos with one larger interconnected world rather than a light world/dark world (MP 2) or several smaller worlds (MP 3), sure, but even if it doesn't or it tries something totally new, as long as it plays, looks, and sounds like a new Metroid Prime for the HD era and the usual Metroid Prime level of quality is there, I'm going to be perfectly happy with it. I don't think there's much it could do to disappoint me out of the gate unless they try to make it, like, Metroid Prime 2-2 or something.

What I mean is, IMO there are a lot of people out there for whom the concept of innovation acts as too much of a gateway to enjoyment or perception of a game's true value, and those people are sure to complain if Metroid Prime 4 is "just another Metroid Prime game." But for me, I don't need Metroid Prime 4 to reinvent the wheel. If I sit down to play it and it delivers the high level of quality across the board that the previous games in the series have offered, especially 1 and 3, MP 4 will have done everything I needed it to do to meet my expectations.

I hope this makes more sense and helps explain my position a bit better!

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Hmmm, I want it to be the spiritual successor of the original Metroid Prime: Focus on exploration and adventure, not shooting, a similar control system (auto-aim, lock target). Isolation and investigation unknown environments, eerie/electronic soundtrack, backtracking to unlock new areas with new power-ups... a big and varied maze-like map. Use the scanning system again as a way to develop lore and tell the story.

I'd love Retro to use 110% of Switch's power to get the best presentation possible. After re-playing Alien Isolation on Switch the last few weeks I kept thinking about how good could Metroid Prime 4 look if they take extra care. Some horror/puzzle elements inspired by Alien Isolation would work great in Metroid, too.

Keep the core game as a 1-player experience. I don't think this game needs multiplayer matches or an online element. Maybe as DLC after release. Focus on polishing the story mode to the max before adding other modes.

Last edited:

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I agree with some of these takes, but I will fight to the end that Corruption had the best art direction :p. Something about 3's as well though, because I think DS3 is FROM's strongest work artistically. I just wish Retro's character/creatrue art was as good as their environmental art... FROM definitely has them (and everyone else) beat in that regard.
Yeah, FROM's character and creature art is just mindboggling. They're the best (and I think Bloodborne was the best of their best :P). Retro's definitely no slouch in that department though, it's going to be amazing to see what they can do in the Prime universe with more modern hardware in general.