• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
...What's the center? Isn't America's version of center basically just right-wing to the rest of the world? ...

Not from where I sit. Seems like extremes on both sides to be honest. This forum is a great example of that. I consider myself to be a fairly liberal person, but considering the touchiness of certain topics, I typically try to refrain from joining in said discussions because I fear certain opinions or even suggestions of thought I may try to voice will be considered, well, more than opinions or ideas and get me banned.

I love Era, but truly, I think everything going on in the world has made everyone everywhere extremely uptight and volatile. It's just different sides of the same coin.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
He lied about both of these things. He didn't embrace dick. He ran on racism, and the racism is what got him the vote.

What does any of this even mean. You can't just call yourself "left and progressive" without mentioning a stance or three if you're asking for clarification. ERA isn't exactly the most left place if you go on gaming side btw.
Huh what do you mean "what does this mean?"? What's not to understand?
I don't mean gaming side btw.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Yes, that's a product of a two party system and of course a long history of crazy racism, slavery and mounds of other bullshit baked in.

Like that's how warped things have been. Democrats would BE the conservatives in many parts of the world and the GOP would be the crazy niche right wing fascist party.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Not from where I sit. Seems like extremes on both sides to be honest. This forum is a great example of that. I consider myself to be a fairly liberal person, but considering the touchiness of certain topics, I typically try to refrain from joining in said discussions because I fear certain opinions or even suggestions of thought I may try to voice will be considered, well, more than opinions or ideas and get me banned.

I love Era, but truly, I think everything going on in the world has made everyone everywhere extremely uptight and volatile. It's just different sides of the same coin.

Just out of curiosity: are you caucasian?

Huh what do you mean "what does this mean?"? What's not to understand?
I don't mean gaming side btw.

For me, for instance, being "progressive" seems like universal health care and free college are starting points. Push further left and you should hit universal basic income. Further than that is housing as a right. Just saying "I consider myself left" doesn't really mean much to me?

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Just out of curiosity: are you caucasian?

For me, for instance, being "progressive" seems like universal health care and free college are starting points. Push further left and you should hit universal basic income. Further than that is housing as a right. Just saying "I consider myself left" doesn't really mean much to me?
There are obviously different levels of left. There isnt a single "left", that is not something that is up for debate.
I still cant understand wtf you mean by "what does this even mean?". You obviously grasp that there is things such as "further left".
For example, I dont believe in UBi, yet. Sooner or later, yes, but not right now. I also dont believe in planned economy and full on communism. I believe in a heavily regulated free market. Social democracy.
How is that hard to understand? Geez

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
There are obviously different levels of left. There isnt a single "left", that is not something that is up for debate.
I still cant understand wtf you mean by "what does this even mean?". You obviously grasp that there is things such as "further left".
For example, I dont believe in UBi, yet. Sooner or later, yes, but not right now. I also dont believe in planned economy and full on communism. I believe in a heavily regulated free market. Social democracy.
How is that hard to understand? Geez

You've gotten incredibly defensive about what was a really innocuous question, my guy.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
You've gotten incredibly defensive about what was a really innocuous question, my guy.
It wasn't innocuous, not in the way it was stated and not in it's meaning. It was weird, frankly. Maybe you didn't start this topic to discuss, just to signal your position and to wane out any potential dissenters "centrist" to jump on? Idk.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You pose an extremely loaded question, then tease the person. If we are to discuss the negative effects of our uniquely ameican tribalism, what good does pointing out his ethnicity do?

That question was aimed at a completely different person. Also:

It's not about "teasing". you can't just say "Yeah I consider myself one of the most left, progressive people I know". You have to ground that in something, because I don't know what that means because I don't know you.

It wasn't innocuous, not in the way it was stated and not in it's meaning. It was weird, frankly. Maybe you didn't start this topic to discuss, just to signal your position and to wane out any potential dissenters "centrist" to jump on? Idk.

See the above. And frankly, I don't really care to "jump on" anyone. The question was what it was.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
You're asking exactly the right question OP, this is what leftists have been saying a long time. "Meeting in the middle" means ceding to radical nationalism and imperialism

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
That question was aimed at a completely different person. Also:

It's not about "teasing". you can't just say "Yeah I consider myself one of the most left, progressive people I know". You have to ground that in something, because I don't know what that means because I don't know you.

See the above. And frankly, I don't really care to "jump on" anyone. The question was what it was.
I did ground it enough by saying there are more-left people on era. That was my point. Not that I am exactly X. I don't owe you and kind of explanation at all and I don't care that you don't know what "left in my circles" mean. That wasn't the point. The point was: I consider myself left but era has lots of people further to the left.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You're asking exactly the right question OP, this is what leftists have been saying a long time. "Meeting in the middle" means ceding to radical nationalism and imperialism

I've thought the statement itself was meaningless for a while, but then I started thinking about how the right is moving further right and that's when I was like "Yo...how the fuck do we meet in the middle then? I'm just warping my own stances."

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately there are major issues that almost all peoples can agree on: equality for all, the safety of children and the welfare of our elderly, for instance.
  • Equality for all: False
  • Safety of children: False
  • Welfare of our elderly: False
Your post is a good reminder many people are swimming in a pond of misconceptions.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Also: I'm not finna sit here and go back and forth with people who want to argue and claim persecution when I've tried my best to be kind. So I'm not responding anymore to people who are being disingenuous, ya'll have fun.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
SolidScientificErne-size_restricted.gif
cursed gif

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
To me, meeting in the middle means two parties get something that they want. Maybe both groups don't get the #1 thing they want, but instead they both get #2 of what's on their lists.

Its garbage when it comes to US Politics, and Democrats should never fall for it.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Well, you see, it's always the Democrats that must meet Republicans in the middle, rather than the other way around. This becomes an important distinction when the Republican version of "the middle" continues to move to the right.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017

You mind expounding on the equivocal extremes on both sides? No one's ever been banned on Era for being a liberal.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
For real? I don't know much about Australian politics, but don't you at least have universal health care and strict gun laws?
We do but we are still a relatively conservative country. For example same sex marriage laws came in after the US and weed is still illegal here.

Our gun laws where brought by the Liberals (our right wing party) when John Howard was PM. We never had the same gun culture as the US so it's a bit hard comparing them.
With healthcare what is Bidens platform? I know the one Bernie wanted was more left than ours, we do still have private insurance to go along with it and there are still some out of pocket expenses. And if the US already had universal health care I doubt Biden would want to scrap it, where if our conservatives could they could imo.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
It's just something people say to sound like they have the high ground in politics.

Reps have learned that they can wallow in the muck and appeal to base/ primal human fears to grab power and votes, fooling people into voting against their own self interest. Dems want to look like "the adults in the room" but ultimately this is a capitalist nation and what's best "for the people" will often times be things that don't serve that. Plus, that stance doesn't actually mean you care about people. It's just a way to say "I tried" and have an excuse when nothing gets done.

A good example is black voters.
Being black in this nation from a voting stand point often times comes down to "This side actively hates you and wants you to suffer/ die" and "This other side doesn't openly hate you and will play ally ... but doesn't care to actually do things that would help you because ya know, money ... and will straight up support things that hurt you because of money to. But wanna ya gonna do? Vote for the other guy?!?!".

But I try to avoid political take in general because IDK how to convince people that they should care about other people.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Don't worry OP, whatever that center is Joe Biden and the fascists Repubs will find it

Biden going old-school and meeting with newspaper columnists including @GeraldFSeib Biden tells them why he's optimistic on bipartisanship: "Republicans are beginning to realize that there is a center that has to be responded to"

Where is that center? Doesn't matter! We'll all go there together, hand in hand.