• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of these games are Souls-likes?

• The Surge

Votes: 155 75.2%
  • Code Vein

Votes: 128 62.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 66 32.0%
  • Darksiders 3

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • God of War 2018

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Salt and Sanctuary

Votes: 116 56.3%
  • Nioh

Votes: 160 77.7%

• Total voters

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
did you know dark souls invented combat where you can't instant cancel your attacks into dodges? it's true

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
1. Animation priority
2. Combat with stamina bar
3. Consequences for death with enemies respawning and loss of experience points (with chance to reclaim)
4. Synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer systems with some or all of the following: messages, coöp, invasions
5. The aim is to give player a sense of accomplishment when they overcome difficult challenges
6. Rpg systems for leveling up your character
This.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Darksiders 3 doesn't feel like a "soulslike". It's an action/adventure with a pretty twitchy combat (especially in the rebalance), rather than any kind of RPG with serious character builds. It's less of an RPG than Darksiders 2 was. OTOH, it DOES have some really cool shortcuts and switchbacks that come into play as you gain more Hollows, and the world is largely a huge honeycomb (except for the last area, that's basically ripped out of Soul Reaver 1 and only accessible via a single entry point).

Haven't played Hollow Knight yet, so I can't say anything about that.

I think that resource-management combat is a part of the general "Soulslike" definition, though. More "free-flow" (probably a better word than "button-mashing" or "twitchy") combat systems, like Darksiders or Sekiro don't really make the cut.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when i hear that i picture monster hunter combat but in a more traditional semi-open adventure.

crudely.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to nail down specifically, they just have that certain je ne sais quoi (:P). There's no end-all, be-all, set of criteria but if a game has some combination of the following, it could qualify: an emphasis on punishing combat, intricate level design, loss of experience upon death (usually with the opportunity to get that XP back), "bonfires" for marking progress, and minimal storytelling. It may not have every of those things, and there may be more of those similarities that I'm missing, but the point is that genre definitions are murky lol. It's all fun and games :P

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
1. Having a bonfire inspired checkpoint system

2. Having a lost of resource upon death

3. An oppressive world that encourages caution

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My old list from the other thread, condensed:

- Exploration: Frequently intricately designed levels with looping shortcuts
- Difficulty: Challenging encounters full of dangerous ambushes and traps, to provide a constant sense of danger
- Combat #1: Stamina-based methodical combat, focusing on blocking and evading and finding correct openings
- Combat #2: variety of weapons and playstyles
- RPG: Character building/customization via stats and equipment

This (correctly) excludes Hollow Knight and Blasphemous and Sekiro and Monster Hunter, but (also correctly) includes Salt & Sanctuary, The Surge and Nioh.

Optional: online coop/PvP, character creation, penalty upon dying (e.g. loss of currency/XP, losing max HP, etc.)

"But bonfires and Estus! Interconnected world!" -- ASGFSDGDFHD NO. STOP. Demon's Souls had neither and it's literally the OG Souls. It'd also exclude Bloodborne lulz.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The social aspect is the most unique attribute of the souls games and too often I see people singling out the difficulty.

It needs the social aspects combined with difficulty and risk of losing XP/currency/souls when dying.
Community messages left across the various locations, Co-op & Invasions.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I'm just pleased you had the good sense to not include Sekiro.

Although multiplayer/co-op are a big draw for some people, I always play Souls and Bloodborne offline my first time through. That's why I don't consider the online component a core element in what makes a game a souls-like.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
My old list from the other thread, condensed:

- Exploration: Frequently intricately designed levels with looping shortcuts
- Difficulty: Challenging encounters full of dangerous ambushes and traps, to provide a constant sense of danger
- Combat #1: Stamina-based methodical combat, focusing on blocking and evading and finding correct openings
- Combat #2: variety of weapons and playstyles
- RPG: Character building/customization via stats and equipment

This (correctly) excludes Hollow Knight and Blasphemous and Sekiro and Monster Hunter, but (also correctly) includes Salt & Sanctuary, The Surge and Nioh.

Optional: online coop/PvP, character creation, penalty upon dying (e.g. loss of currency/XP, losing max HP, etc.)

"But bonfires and Estus! Interconnected world!" -- ASGFSDGDFHD NO. STOP. Demon's Souls had neither and it's literally the OG Souls. It'd also exclude Bloodborne lulz.
This is it, right here.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling
If a game doesn't have a lack of difficulty options and a toxic fanbase obsessed with its own superiority then I don't think it could be considered Souls-like.