• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alessandro

Oct 27, 2017
You immediately feel uncomfortable while a sense of dread creeps in.

You lie down and lift your legs to facilitate blood flow but it doesn't help. Heart is pumping at crazy rates, breathing becomes harder as your throat seems to shrink.

A shriek pierces your head as if someone inside your skull was screaming at the top of his lungs. As you can't maintain your eyes open, an interrupted flow of memories comes to mind.

White lumps start appearing and slowly engulf your vision, you claw to life while regret and sorrow approach.

In the end it kinda feels like going to sleep so for a while you'll to get scared shitless when you go to bed.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Depends on the order in which your organs stop working. If your heart goes first don't expect it to be painless.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who drowned trapped in the back of a submerged car and was revived later. She said as the water covered her it was intense pain and panic until she coughed and couldn't stop the inhaling reflex. Ice filled her chest and everything just...stopped. Her body stopped struggling, her brain calmed down, and she thought to herself "Well, I tried my best, but that's the end." She waited a bit and slowly blacked out. Then she woke up in a hospital bed.

She does not recommend the experience if you can avoid it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Being dead, logically, you wouldn't feel a thing as your brain activity would cease and you'd technically not exist anymore.

The process of dying ? Depends on how you are actually dying. I'd wager an hemoraggy from a car crash is most likely very different than dying of old age or from a heart attack.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I always envisioned it like my sleep paralysis that hit me one time in bed. I was awake and lying on my bed when I just remember that it felt like my body had shut down. As soon as that happened I tried to move to no avail. I remember after that my head drifting to its side and, my eyes slowly closing which freaked me out. After that, darkness and complete shutdown. I got freaked out to the point I didn't want to sleep for the next couple of days. So yeah, that's my take on it.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
My extremely religious mother had a series of heart attacks this past summer, and was revived 12 times before making it to the hospital.

She survived, but her entire universe has been shattered, as all she remembers was darkness and black voids. She has been reassessing her entire life and belief system for the past few months.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine the feeling would be like the horniness that gone in a second after you jerking off.

Wtf, is that its!? Wtf happened!?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If they have internet in afterlife that connects to our world I'll let you know in about 60-65 years.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Imagine being on a plane for 18 hours. Getting off and heading home, and laying in the most luxurious bed. You close your eyes and the feeling of bliss overcomes you. Then remember the time before you were born, there you go.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I imagine at the end as your brain is finally giving in, it goes all fuck you mode in screaming agony "aaaaaaaaaaah fuck you body I'm taking you with me aaaaaaaaaaaaaah" and fires off all your cells to feel pain.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was knocked out once by a bag someone had improperly stored over my head on a train.

I didn't hear it, didn't feel it, nothing.

I guess that's what death is like.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
It felt like a pass out for me, all was black and silent; when i woke up i remember feeling a big remorse and desire to keep living more than ever.

It's interesting to think about death and stuff, but enjoying life feels even better.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
I was clinically dead for about 5 minutes. I was also under 5. I passed out due to the inciting event. Died at some point in it and came back to life but I wasn't conscious so I can't tell what part of it was me being dead and what part was random subconscious brain murmur. I remember it feeling like a glitch. I remember black and white high intensity colours (not just the white was high intensity but also the black) and feelings of floating. I ran into another version of myself that told me I was dead (told me I ceased to exist to be precise). I ran into what now I realise is a future version of me. I remember being on a cloud (this is definitely non dead self as I remember this one the last) but I couldn't see anything around me but felt like what a cloud would feel like. People say it's peaceful dying in your sleep - given my experiences no I think your brain gives you some weird fucking imagery which is far more nightmare fuel than dying while awake which while painful won't cause your mind to go weird.

My mother was clinically dead twice. Once due to pneumonia and once due to chicken pox. I think my grandmother and great grandmother too might have experienced it but there were no sophisticated machinery to actually read if you died or if all life signs just went below minimum threshold.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Pretty good, I hope. When I start to kick off, I hope my last thought is something along the lines of, "Man, this is great. I should have done this a long time ago."

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
i almost died, was in a coma. it's just like being in a dream. eventually the dream ends without you realizing it and then you're gone. nothingness. luckily i woke up.

Oct 27, 2017
Painful at first but once you accept it it's like falling into a comfortable sleep. Until someone saves you and then it's painful again. That's my guess from nearly drowning and starting to lose consciousness. That sinking into a bowl of spaghetti thing from the first page isn't far off from how I felt lol.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Why did I open the thread? Thinking about nonexistence makes me panic. :/

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
My mother said it was nothing but darkness/black out. (She was dead and then they defibbed her back.) I forget how long she was gone. A couple of minutes at least.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like when you go to sleep, or are put under anesthesia but with pain depending on how you fucked up.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knows as it's a huge mystery.

Even some of Christianity infers two separate experiences at the moment of death where believers are taken to the presence of God and non-believers sleep until Judgment day.

Hate to be that obnoxious person with pithy responses but I think the proper response to "what is it like to die?" might as well be "what is it like to truly live?". Death isn't anything we have control over and nobody truly knows so it's best to not worry or think on it too much - except maybe as a motivator.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Dunfisch

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the thread, what I find interesting is that the various statements about a void, loss of sensation, complete darkness - if these are what some people report, then doesn't that by definition imply a sensation the mind, or what's left of it, can interpret? It's like... "I can see nothing, but I'm aware of the nothing". It's either there's more to it, or that's simply the last thing people register before loss of consciousness, so naturally there's nothing in the interim until rescuscitation. Presumably the brain isn't generating any neuronal activity of import anymore, so naturally you'd remember literally "nothing".

Certainly, there's wildly differing reports. A lot of going into the void, others with out-of-body, some going into the light and even classic going to heaven. Either people experience greatly varying states of death in whatever manner their dying brain fires of it's final signals, or there's much more to religious definitions of heaven and hell than I'd expect - either some form of heaven or the void / cessation of conscious being as an interpretation of punishment.

Next thing you know, all the gods in human history are real and jostling over your soul - Buddha might reincarnate you or if found guilty of sin discard you to the void. The biblical god admits you to heaven, though there doesn't seem to be any real opinion on a purgatory here, when regarding the question of Satan.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I expirenced it once: it was when the Eagles cameback from 21 points down to beat my Giants on a punt return TD to win the game and destroy our playoff chances....it was not good.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I always wondered for people who die peacefully in their sleep, they say brain activity can last to upwards of 10 minutes after you die, so in that time would it be possible for the person to be dreaming and then how would it go considering you couldn't wake from that dream? Usually if something happens like "dieing" in your dream you automatically wake up rather abrupt, but how would the brain deal with this when you're already dead? Would you keep dreaming or would it just quickly turn black? Would you still be dreaming but in a black void?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I was knocked unconscious in a motorcycle accident. There's a period of nothingness in my recollection of the events. I imagine it's something like that. On the one hand I don't want to die. On the other, when it happens I imagine all will be fine - I won't feel or think anything.

Oct 28, 2017
screenshot_20191224-1k6ke5.jpg

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I have an untestable hypothesis that people who experience their life flashing before their eyes in near death experiences are experiencing the brain trying to block out the trauma of dying by presenting an alternative. While it may be a flash, I imagine it's a slower process in a dying brain that plays out while the body shuts down.