• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Didn't Microsoft engineers actually do much of the coding work to enable this. They have a MASSIVE back compat advantage with their virtualised Hyper-V solution that Sony simply cannot compete with right now, Xbox can inject fixes/updates at runtime to do this. Asking publishers/devs to invest a lot of time and effort for free isn't going to happen.
I wouldn't expect third party publishers to apply enhanced BC patches to their games, but I feel like Sony's first party output, which is a huge selling point of their ecosystem, should have some minor enhancement patches to boost resolution, AA/AF, and/or unlocked framerate (especially if the game already has a performance mode). Not asking for the moon here

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It tells us that locking away a remastered version of an older game behind a new $50 game is welcomed. In reality this $20 remaster should be available to everybody who owns the PS4 version of Spiderman it's pure fucking greed and nothing more. Extract the maximum from peoples wallets on launch before offering a standalone remaster down the line.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Didn't Microsoft engineers actually do much of the coding work to enable this. They have a MASSIVE back compat advantage with their virtualised Hyper-V solution that Sony simply cannot compete with right now, Xbox can inject fixes/updates at runtime to do this. Asking publishers/devs to invest a lot of time and effort for free isn't going to happen.

and as a consumer, sony technical incompetence is literally 'not my problem'.

not sure why but i am getting more and more repulsed by sony and the PlayStation brand these few weeks.......

i love their games but the brand is slowly becoming 'unbecoming' to me.....

i guess it's always wise not to be a loyal customer of anything and remain platform agnostic and if that's sony strategy, to decrease customer 'stickiness', then congrats to them, they are in the verge of losing me as one.

i will move on, no biggie. Just as i, as one one person, am no biggie to them when they have tens of millions of enablers thinking out for sony's bottom line.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I never had many expectations out of Sony BC. It's been that way since the PS2 days. The base expectation is that your last-gen game runs the same without weird issues caused by the new hardware. You might get better load times, more consistent framerates, better texture filtering, etc., but it was never going to be like what the Xbox BC team has done, with their deeper, individualized approach to each game, allowing them not to just run, but be enhanced beyond just what you'd expect out of brute-force hardware improvements. The fact that we got all of that basically for free this gen on the Xbox side was a gift. I'm sure it also boosted sales of their back catalog, since there was a reason beyond just being able to play those old games to have them again.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not backwards compatibility--it's a remaster. It's a separate SKU developed for the new console.

Backwards compatibility is inserting a PS4 disc and playing that disc on a PS5 or launching and playing a digital PS4 game on a PS5.

Once again, are you positive you're not looking for the other Spider-Man thread?
Dude, "paid upgrade" is literally there in the title, it's a topic about both paid upgrades (which could've been free) and general BC.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
If the game has a performance mode and a graphics mode already, I feel like it shouldn't take a ton of effort to apply the unlocked framerates of performance modes to the graphics mode profile, but it could make a huge impact. Imagine peak PS4 graphics but in locked 60 fps, it would be amazing

Totally agree. Though I can see some developers maybe shying away from adding a 60 fps mode if it doesn't already exist. If the engine isn't tuned for 60 fps it's possible that there could be knock on side effects from going to 60 fps. Especially for games that become CPU bound when going above 30 fps.

But for devs who already deal with 60 fps and above (ie those who have been releasing on PC as well), fps patches shouldn't be too challenging hopefully. And proper 4K as well.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
it tells me I should subscribe to game pass and buy games from companies who respect my past purchases.

I see no reason to ever buy Sony first party games day one anymore. I 100% expect a God of War PS5 remaster when Ragnarok launches, no free upgrade, no cheap upgrade path, blog post about how much extra work was put into it.

Last edited:

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
BC on boost mode: more stable framerate when variable and more stable resolution when dynamic, with both probably being locked at the max values of the original in most cases.

Remaster: It's a remaster, wheter it involves better textures, better lighting, raytracing, better framerate, upgraded models, whatever.

At the end of the day you have the choice of playing the original or buying an upgraded version. But I agree it's scummy to not offer a paid upgrade path.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
At the very least , I would hope for all of the big 1st party Sony games to raise the framerate cap on games for PS5 to 60fps or 120fps, and for them to just let the full power of the system keep that framerate stable.

I think that's a pretty minor ask honestly, and I hope 3rd parties are allowed to give us free updates as well.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
What is the difference between a remaster and an enhancement patch for BC game? Isn't it just a matter of degrees?

a patch, generally, would change some configuration of the current game. For example; make it run in a higher resolution or framerate. Depending on how the game's resources are layed out, it might even replace or update some assets.

Some armchair-developer assumptions follow: In PS5 Spider-Man's case, its -most likely- running on the PS5 Miles Morales iteration of the engine (lets call it Spidey Tech 2.0). I believe vice-versa being the case: Miles Morales on PS4 will be running on the PS4 iteration of the engine, lets call it Spidey Tech 1.0.

Spidey Tech 2 probably has a different graphics pipeline to include things like RT, a different audio system; not to mention facilitating the engine for the SSD-speeds regarding near-instant loading and actual movement speed throught the gameworld.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, "paid upgrade" is literally there in the title, it's a topic about both paid upgrades (which could've been free) and general BC.

If you keep reading the title you'll see the letters "BC"; if you read the OP, it talks about enhancements made via BC. Those are inapplicable here as Spider-Man remastered is a separate game developed for a platform separate from the original.

It does not mean that you can't play Spider-Man PS4 on your PS5, and I believe there's even discussion of that in the other thread.

This is not BC, this is--once again--a separate title. It is not an upgrade insofar as you do not upgrade the original game. In fact, the only upgrade path available is from the base Miles Morales edition to the Ultimate edition, which adds the remaster (which is, once again, a separate SKU).

If Sony was selling an enhancement that uses the PS4 game--aka, you insert a PS4 disc and acquire a paid enhancement via the store--then you'd absolutely have a clear, cogent, and (imo) correct argument. As that is simply not the case, I am once again asking if you are positive you understand the questions and issues here.

Oct 25, 2017
BC on boost mode: more stable framerate when variable and more stable resolution when dynamic, with both probably being locked at the max values of the original in most cases.

Remaster: It's a remaster, wheter it involves better textures, better lighting, raytracing, better framerate, upgraded models, whatever.

At the end of the day you have the choice of playing the original or buying an upgraded version. But I agree it's scummy to not offer a paid upgrade path.

It's gonna be this.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: The Witcher 3 will be released on next Gen consoles with (assumingly) a comparative level of enhancements, but it will be a free upgrade for existing owners. By people's own definition here, that one would also be in the remaster camp with heavily improved graphics, load times, and ray-tracing.

www.polygon.com

The Witcher 3 is coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X

It’s a free upgrade for existing PS4 and Xbox One owners

Mar 8, 2018
It tells us that Sony's strategy is to continue to build successive walled-garden type platforms and incentivize you to buy into the newest one with special or exclusive content. It's like they're building a garden (PS5) on top of an existing garden (PS4). Sure you can always go downstairs and visit the garden on the first floor, but if you pay the price you can move some of your favorite plants to the brand new second floor and damn the lighting is really good up there.

The MS strategy is still a walled garden, to be sure, but when it comes to their first-party stuff it's more like they're bringing in contractors to spruce up the garden you already have.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
it tells me I should subscribe to game pass and buy games from companies who respect my past purchases.

I see no reason to ever buy Sony first party games day one anymore. I 100% expect a God of War PS5 remaster when Ragnarok launches, no free upgrade, blog post about how much extra work was put into it.

throw horizon, tlou2 and got in thay pile too.

fuck, i wished i bought the tlou2 physically so that i can resell that thing off.

I'm never buying sony 1st party full price at launch again and that's a lesson taught to me by sony themselves.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: The Witcher 3 will be released on next Gen consoles with (assumingly) a comparative level of enhancements, but it will be a free upgrade for existing owners. By people's own definition here, that one would also be in the remaster camp with heavily improved graphics, load times, and ray-tracing.

www.polygon.com

The Witcher 3 is coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X

It’s a free upgrade for existing PS4 and Xbox One owners

Of course it's a remaster. I don't think that was in any doubt.

CDPR is a strong proponent of goodwill and value. They added a lot of free content to TW3 post-release that most publishers would have charged a season pass for. When they did release paid expansions their quality was best in generation.

Most developers and publishers don't act like CDPR.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
throw horizon, tlou2 and got in thay pile too.

fuck, i wished i bought the tlou2 physically so that i can resell that thing off.

I'm never buying sony 1st party full price at launch again and that's a lesson taught to me by sony themselves.
Sony needs to add more value to these games now that Game Pass is such a good deal. we're paying $60/$70 for a single game and they can't be bothered to upgrade it's loyal customers for free?

do something, give PS+ users a free upgrade path

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
What "much" work? TLOU:R essentially looks the same as the PS3 game with higher res/framerate options and the cinematic character models used in-game. It's a basic ass remaster.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the best remaster of the world, but it still did more like help pop-ins, texture detail, photo mode, and QOL improvements.

I'm not expecting anything extra with Spider-Man.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
You're gonna get better resolution/framerate for PS4 games that have dynamic resolution and/or unlocked framerate. For the rest you're at the mercy of developers/publishers.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It tells us, don't expect any upgrades beyond the bare minimum of what a boost mode provides without paying for them.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's a remaster. I don't think that was in any doubt.

CDPR is a strong proponent of goodwill and value. They added a lot of free content to TW3 post-release that most publishers would have charged a season pass for. When they did release paid expansions their quality was best in generation.

Most developers and publishers don't act like CDPR.
I'm kind of in a weird spot with the word. It clearly is on console, but if it just came out on PC, we'd probably just call it an enhancement update. That's really just semantics though.

I guess the crux of me bringing it up here was that people acted like it was an unreasonable request on the consumer's end since additional work is going in, when Microsoft and CDPR have done similar work.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I wouldnt put this on the same level as Remedy's Control situation. Still its unfortunate that Sony is doing something similar but not as bad.

What Sony should do is let people but it for $20 as a standalone vs forcing people to get it only through the Ultimate Edition of $70. I get they are trying to maximize sales and likely will release it by itself eventually but some may not like that the only option for now is only $70.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of in a weird spot with the word. It clearly is on console, but if it just came out on PC, we'd probably just call it an enhancement update. That's really just semantics though.

I guess the crux of me bringing it up here was that people acted like it was an unreasonable request on the consumer's end since additional work is going in, when Microsoft and CDPR have done similar work.

Let me ask this then- does anyone think that that there is a remote chance that GTA V for for Xbox S/X and PS5 will be a free upgrade? I know that I sure as hell don't.

Do we expect similar levels of outrage when Take 2 inevitably announces that it will be a paid remaster?

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
It will be very basic. Games that run at unlocked frame rates will run higher, up to whatever cap they have. And games with dynamic resolutions will run at their max the majority of the time.

Games without those, might load a bit faster. Otherwise they'll be identical.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I think Sony will resell all their games from this gen as enhanced versions. GoT, TLoU2, Days Gone, etc. Maybe they add in all the DLC or with TLOU2 they'll add the multiplayer, but be prepared to rebuy these games. Stinks.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
If you keep reading the title you'll see the letters "BC"; if you read the OP, it talks about enhancements made via BC. Those are inapplicable here as Spider-Man remastered is a separate game developed for a platform separate from the original.

It does not mean that you can't play Spider-Man PS4 on your PS5, and I believe there's even discussion of that in the other thread.

This is not BC, this is--once again--a separate title. It is not an upgrade insofar as you do not upgrade the original game. In fact, the only upgrade path available is from the base Miles Morales edition to the Ultimate edition, which adds the remaster (which is, once again, a separate SKU).

If Sony was selling an enhancement that uses the PS4 game--aka, you insert a PS4 disc and acquire a paid enhancement via the store--then you'd absolutely have a clear, cogent, and (imo) correct argument. As that is simply not the case, I am once again asking if you are positive you understand the questions and issues here.
I think you're being too rigid here, the bigger picture can be paid upgrade (even if minimal) vs. free upgrade path (either basic BC or with bells and whistles) for playing your previous games on new hardware. This is absolutely related to the topic.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You'll get the benefit of more stable framerate due to better hardware and that's it

I think also for games that have dynamic resolutions and things like that, you'll see them hit the upper end of that dynamic resolution consistently.

So, on the whole you should see a performance improvement in terms of framerate in many games, and a mild visual improvement in some games.

Nov 2, 2018
The fact that Sony (Insomniac?) thought that a game from two years required a remaster paints a very grim picture of PS5's backwards compatibility improvements to be honest.

Either the remaster was an easy make because of the work done on Miles Morales in which case why are we paying, or the BC version is so milquetoast the remaster is in fact worth the value of its price

Not sure which is worse.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect a patch with better resolution, frame rate and loading times to be free.

For something where there are significant upgrades I can understand charging a small fee for it. They should at least give people the option of spending $10 to upgrade Spider-Man PS4 to the store PS5 version.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
repeat with me people:

BC =/= upgrade patch

one is automatic at launch day for no additional charge, other is up to the studio to decide and do.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Let me ask this then- does anyone think that that there is a remote chance that GTA V for for Xbox S/X and PS5 will be a free upgrade? I know that I sure as hell don't.

Do we expect similar levels of outrage when Take 2 inevitably announces that it will be a paid remaster?
We know from Rockstar's history that probably won't be the case. I do hold Sony than Rockstar in this regard to a different standard on this particular feature. The former is trying to persuade me into buying their box over their competitor's and said competitor is offering this exact thing.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
When I put a PS1 disc into a PS2, I didn't expect it to magically turn into a PS2 game. Likewise, I don't expect to get full-on remasters for free on PS5, you can already play them for free via BC.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It tells us that Sony has no intentions of providing enhancements for BC like Microsoft does.

When I put a PS1 disc into a PS2, I didn't expect it to magically turn into a PS2 game. Likewise, I don't expect to get full-on remasters for free on PS5, you can already play them for free via BC.

That's cool and all, but when your competitor is doing it for free and you charge full game price for the privilege of getting on your console, it's a really bad look.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Too early to decide. They made it like they did change the game to be on par with miles morales and if this is the case I'll double dip without being angry cuz miles morales looked amazing.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

This was never going to be free. This isn't BC enhancements, this isn't an upres, this isn't next gen features and upgrades planned for and budgeted in the original dev plan. This is a new remaster project with its own budget and own expenses that is rightly going to cost money to purchase. My only issue is locking it to the Ultimate Edition. If they're going to charge for it, then it should be available standalone.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
That sony does not care for their users in order to have more brand fidelity. I'm really upset with this. More over, not even savegames are carried. Damn! It is a 2yr old game!!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Too early to decide. They made it like they did change the game to be on par with miles morales and if this is the case I'll double dip without being angry cuz miles morales looked amazing.
Yeah, this is how I'm looking at it. They wanted Spidey to feel like a brand new PS5 game as much as possible. I'm not sure to what extent the rest of their games will do the same, but we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully not too much longer.