• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Even that may not be the case. In BC modes, PS5 downclocks GPU and CPU and even disables some of the GPU Compute Units to better mimic PS4(Pro).
That's not the case for every game, I'll quote my post from another BC topic.

"Achieving this unification in functionality took years of efforts by AMD as any roadmap advancement creates a potential divergence in logic. Running PS4 and PS4 [sic] titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity. The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title-by-title basis." Just before the time code is the graphic that says "Backwards Compatibility" and lists the three modes, PS5 native mode, PS4 Pro legacy mode and PS4 legacy mode.

Now, we can nitpick this statement and say he only mentioned running PS4 titles at boosted frequencies but if we infer that he meant to say "PS4 and PS4 Pro" titles, then we can also infer that when he says boosted frequencies he is referring to frequencies beyond what PS4 Pro uses, otherwise there is no boost at all if the top end of the backwards compatibility modes are PS4 Pro speeds.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Has it be actually confirmed that this exactly what boost mode would do? I was assuming more likely than not that 1st party developers won't spend an ounce of time working on this for older PS4 games which IMO, looks terrible compared to Microsoft's treatment of this.

How is MS treating this? it's an automatic res+fps bump. no different than what MS is doing and being praised for. outside Gears 5 we have no word on the other games upgrades besides auto fps+res bump.

Spudstercool

Jul 14, 2019
I don't mind the economics of paying for upgrade/remaster patches or whatever.

My main disappointment with the whole Spiderman PS5 Remaster situation is that they've (so far) denounced any method of importing your PS4 Save Data. I hope this doesn't imply there's some technical limitation with doing so which would prevent other PS5 remasters/upgrades from doing the same thing.

I do understand that the new PS5 Spidey Remaster is probably treated as an entirely new game/binary, and therefore might be treated separately from the PS4 version on a PS5 system - but it sets a strange precedent for the future of re-enjoying PS4 games on the new system.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is Microsoft confusing people by enhancing shit tons of games for free and people think that's what 'BC' is?

A game like Until Dawn, which has an unlocked framerate and very poor performance will likely play much better on PS5 at a locked 60 fps. But it will still be locked to 1080p resolution because it never received a Pro Patch.

Boost mode didn't help it for shit either. Ugh, I love that game but so choppy in so many places.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks God I sold my ps4 this year and didn't bought anything from this amazing last year. (Death Standing, The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima) Now when I purchase a PS5 I wouldn't have to pay extra for the enhanced versions

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Bc has nothing to do with does. The ps4 version will work on ps5 like other games.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
It tells you that they worked their butt off to get a PS5 version up and running and they believe that deserves compensation.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
That fits narratives much more cleanly than otherwise.

But we need to blame Sony for how bad their PR team is right now and how silent they are right now.
I need to read random tweets of random people explaining stuff that isn't even that hard to understand.

You read that title and you think it's one thing...when it's actually another.

I'm sure Insomniac is doing more than a simple patch because they are also releasing Miles Morales right now.

They are doing a terrible job thoughout 2020 to say anything at all.
They did that presentation last week and then they went quiet. Barely even any mention of a pre-order starting or anything. Geoff was doing PR for them.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Boost mode on PS4 Pro boosts games without Pro-patches to their max, so a game that would run ~25 fps on base hardware for example would run 30 on a Pro, without a patch by the developer. PS5 boost mode was listed under backwards compatibility in Cerny's presentation, so it's safe to assume it'll do the same here and boosts PS4 and PS4 Pro games to their max (in the case of uncapped framerates and dynamic resolutions) without the need of a patch by the developer. Especially with devs like CDPR promising that the PS4-version of Cyberpunk 2077 performs better on day 1 on PS5.

I guess that means Uncharted 4/TLoU II single player with no noticeable improvements. They already run stable and are locked to 1440P.

Lame...

God of War at 60 FPS under performance mode... Cool! Locked to 1080P. LAME...

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I don't think there's been any reports of any upgrades going to the extent that this one has, at least as described by Insomniac. So to that end, I don't think there's any support for your notion.
I'm extremely doubtful. It took them a long time to finally put together that statement on what the PS5 will include. I'll eat crow if the PS5 version is a true remaster, but I'm not buying it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What did TLOU Remastered teach us about PS4?

Nothing at all. Spider-Man Remastered is a separate game.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Nothing. Remasters are different than games played via BC.

We hoped there wouldn't be any remasters but don't know the extent of BC yet.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Enhanced BC, whether from the PS5 or the Xbox, was never going to be an actual substitute for remasters. It might cover some of the same bases a bunch of remasters do, e.g., resolution, frame rate, and loading times, but a developer putting in actual work to remaster a game for this or that platform is just a different thing.

Well, Heutchy Method stuff (X1X and Series X running 360 and OG Xbox games) is often totally on par with some remasters, but that's wizardry and requires human sacrifice or something. And it's also because some remasters are pretty low effort. I'm talking stuff like the Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia collections on PS3, you're literally better off playing the Xbox version on X1X.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guessing BC games will just be PS4 Pro versions with faster loading. Maybe better frame rates or higher resolutions (4K native) at a stretch for certain games, but nothing like an actual Remaster.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
How is MS treating this? it's an automatic res+fps bump. no different than what MS is doing and being praised for. outside Gears 5 we have no word on the other games upgrades besides auto fps+res bump.
A game like Uncharted 4 that was originally coded to run at 1440P and was at a stable 30 FPS would run just like that on PS5 unless ND decides to patch to upgrade resolution/FPS.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
It looks like Sony is doing what Nintendo does with its Wii U to Switch ports, add just enough new content to justify full price.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely doubtful. It took them a long time to finally put together that statement on what the PS5 will include. I'll eat crow if the PS5 version is a true remaster, but I'm not buying it.

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that you believe this to not be true:

Just to be clear too - this is far more than an increase in resolution/framerate and tagging surfaces for ray-tracing. We have put a significant amount of work and effort into the Remaster. From my blog on the matter:

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game's art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console's horsepower. You'll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You'll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We'll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller's haptic feedback. Lastly we're adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."

Do you have any support for this belief or are you just proffering some fantasy based on cynicism and pessimism?

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
For Sony's 1st party games it looks bad. Maybe God of War's unlocked framerate mode will hit 60 via the Boost mode. I still have hope for Last of Us 2 and Tsushima - because they just came out - to get free upgrades.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
A game like Uncharted 4 that was originally coded to run at 1440P and was at a stable 30 FPS would run just like that on PS5 unless ND decides to patch to upgrade resolution/FPS.

hence why it's automatic. if ND redo the models, lightning, shadows, LODs and etc etc like Insomniac is doing with Spider, you bet they will ask for money. i kinda expect a free upgrade for TLOU2 and GOT and GOW since those are cream brulee games, everything else simply res/fps bump via boost mode.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
But we need to blame Sony for how bad their PR team is right now and how silent they are right now.
I need to read random tweets of random people explaining stuff that isn't even that hard to understand.

You read that title and you think it's one thing...when it's actually another.

I'm sure Insomniac is doing more than a simple patch because they are also releasing Miles Morales right now.

They are doing a terrible job thoughout 2020 to say anything at all.
They did that presentation last week and then they went quiet. Barely even any mention of a pre-order starting or anything. Geoff was doing PR for them.

Sony's PR being bad is a true and accurate description of what they're doing.

Making shit up in order to further a platform war-by-proxy has nothing to do with PR and everything to do with it being just another day that ends in Y.

Jul 20, 2020
Will be alot of excuses but it shows Sony thinks their brand is above good will. Control got a lot of backlash for essentially doing the same, but Sony will do the same because they know their fans will defend. They should be called out for this.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that means Uncharted 4/TLoU II single player with no noticeable improvements. They already run stable and are locked to 1440P.

Lame...

Yes. However ND went back and patched both UC4 and TLoU Remastered with Pro Patches well after the fact so I don't think new patches would be out of the question. Not sure about 60 fps since sometimes that creates issues in engines but I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped a patch for UC4 that allows it play in full 4K.

Same with God of War- wouldn't be shocked to see a patch that ups the max resolution for performance mode.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
For Sony's 1st party games it looks bad. Maybe God of War's unlocked framerate mode will hit 60 via the Boost mode. I still have hope for Last of Us 2 and Tsushima - because they just came out - to get free upgrades.
For God of War, I think it will for SURE hit 60 FPS without question. What would be nice is if we also if performance mode delivered 4K + 60 FPS for PS5 owners

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. However ND went back and patched both UC4 and TLoU Remastered with Pro Patches well after the fact so I don't think new patches would be out of the question. Not sure about 60 fps since sometimes that creates issues in engines but I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped a patch for UC4 that allows it play in full 4K.

Same with God of War- wouldn't be shocked to see a patch that ups the max resolution for performance mode.

Oh yeah, that's good point.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Lame...

Yeah, it's safe to assume this'll be the case. But seeing as these are first party titles, it might be worth it for Sony to at least enhance the resolution to 1800p or maybe even native 4K if that runs well without further optimalisation. They're giving some these games away for free after all as part of the PS+ Collection. So they should look nice to customers buying a 4K console who are going to experience those games for the first time. Wouldn't be that hard to do either, since in the case of God of War it already has 4K assets baked into the game.

Now if we for example take Arkham Knight, that's a 30fps 1080p game that's locked on both of those things. Rocksteady isn't gonna sell more copies of that game on PS5 since people who came from Xbox will most likely have played it on there already if they're interested in it. So to them it's not gonna be worth it. But first party? Who knows. I can see it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Just so I'm clear, you're saying that you believe this to not be true:

Do you have any support for this belief or are you just proffering some fantasy based on cynicism and pessimism?
Like I said, I'll gladly eat crow. I'm curious to see what separates the PS4 version from the PS5 version. "Take a picture, write it down." I have an ounce of skepticism and I'm going to hang onto it for now. Given what you've shown me, it's more likely to be a remaster, but I'm going to maintain some doubt here that it will be worth the price tag.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Were I to venture a guess.

Boost mode and relatively small patches for older games will be free. That's resolution and frame rate bumps, but not any significant changes.

Full on remasters a la Spidey are gonna cost money.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder what'll happen with Last of Us 2 if there's an upgrade. Seems insane to just sell the PS5 version separately as it would probably be full price since the game just came out.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It tells us that BC will provide things like improved load times, graphics, etc, but they won't be full scale remasters with updated features like full advantage of SSD or ray tracing. Remember, this Spider Man was what they were using when the Wired articles previwing the system were written each year
This is why I wanna wait on next gen version sku's of games. Hopefully the free upgrades to next gen versions are actual next gen versions. And not BC enhanced games.

The OP using this as a comparison to BC....

They can insist it's a remaster all they want, but it's Smart Delivery with a price tag.
That's not exactly what the OP is asking tho. Are we asking about BC enhancements....or free upgrades to next gen versions.....

Pretty sure this game qualifies as a next gen version of Spider-Man. On that note, it sucks. But....this isn't about BC enhancements.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
It tells us nothing. It's not a next-gen patch, it's a remaster. The OG game still is backwards compatible with the PS5.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can play your original copy with enhancements without any cost.
The new version is a Remaster, not just an upscaled version. They are different games.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Lame...

Wait... people actually think Sony should demand their studios to go back to all games released on PS4 and update them for free to the PS5 now?
Wow...

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I think we can all safely say that the enhancements of BC would always be extra resolution and framerate. I doubt you are gonna see any noticable improvement in textures or other visuals