• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
How do you envision a new future when we hopefully completely get on top of the virus. Will there now be more and more protocols in place for possible future pandemics, will there be more research facilities, more money spent on good hygiene awareness. Will governments provide more funding in healthcare in terms of staff, management, PPE in order to deal with such a crisis, or will we revert back to the "old normal" which led us to the mess we are in now.

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't speak for America because y'all Buck wild down there but in Canada I'll continue to wear a mask. I haven't been sick since this whole thing started and it's awesome.

I hope stores continue their cleaning policies and I hope next summer all the bars and restaurants do the same large outside patios.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Businesses will go back to old habits the moment governments drop the current requirements (not talkng about US only). Some people will keep doing what's necessary but generally speaking? The public doesn't give a fuck and have the memory of a goldfish, they just want their haircuts and going out for dining.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, if everyone had common sense, followed rules and were basically polite as possible things could be pretty smooth minus the jobs losses. The near term impact is going to suck no doubt and long term, hoping it's not more awful but it would be lessoned somewhat if governments did a good a job to get us through it, support and people followed the rules and then some. Don't deal with it properly, it will just last longer and cause more damage.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New normal is the same as the old normal, minus the millions of dead small businesses

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
For the US, I kind of fear that we'll go back to the status quo for "normalcy", but I think it depends on who's in charge and any new regulations that are put into place. Jobs may be hard to come by for a while, but for some, I think telecommuting will be an even bigger incentive with jobs and schools. I don't expect masks to last or any changes to the US healthcare system which I was hoping would prove to the masses how shit it is considering people are getting sick and that losing jobs = no medical insurance (my mother in law had COVID, and immediately after healing, lost her job and insurance).

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're already living in it. The world of business, commerce and travel will gear back up alongside a set of bare minimum guidelines that allow them to remain trading "safely". People in general will either forget, decide for themselves that the pandemic is over or rationalise living with it to whatever extent they need to in order to go "back to normal".

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
To everyone saying "There is no post-covid", once a vaccine and effective treatment are available, and distributed, we will be post-covid. Obviously it'll still be around, but so are measals, rubella, bubonic plague... but we can deal with those effectively, or have vaccines that deal with it. So it'll be no different than that, that's what Post-covid is.

I really don't see it being much different than the world pre-covid. We might have more hand washing measures, hopefully Canada gets more sick days, maybe we'll see more masked people when they have a cough.

But otherwise, I don't think things will change all too much. from pre-covid to post-covid.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Can't speak for America because y'all Buck wild down there but in Canada I'll continue to wear a mask. I haven't been sick since this whole thing started and it's awesome.

I hope stores continue their cleaning policies and I hope next summer all the bars and restaurants do the same large outside patios.
This is so disrespectful but 100% accurate, lol

Because of the increased risks covid poses compared to the flu, I think we could see aftereffects that don't look significant at first but become so quickly.

There's going to be enough rational people who understand it's more dangerous than the flu and don't want that shit, that habits are going to noticeably shift. Enough that businesses could be permanently impacted. And thanks to the stupidity rampant in America and conspiracy idiots everywhere, there will be a constant cultural friction over it.

The irony is that stupid people will probably work against their own aims by continually making an argument and fight over it. They're just going to help keep it in the public consciousness similar to how anti-vaxxers have made people continually aware of discussion over vaccines.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Remote working, more outsourcing, greater automation, higher taxes, greater absolute and relative poverty, higher death rates from unmanaged chronic diseases for a bit and some civil unrest. Hopefully improved infectious disease surveillance. I'd like to think this is a once in a lifetime event, but it may well not be.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Cities will become a lot more fucking lame once all of the small businesses/restaurants are gone

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
We never went back to normal after 9/11 and in some ways that was less detrimental to every day life.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new normal is a few hundred thousand less living people and millions of jobs / businesses gone. Sounds wonderful.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
None, we never get rid of it or even get it under control, vaccines don't pan out, and we find out immunity lasts some pathetically short amount of time. Just lots of death forever, at least in America.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Culturally I imagine people would be much more open to wearing masks if sick. Kind of the way Asian cultures are okay with wearing masks when sick to prevent spreading to others, and the practice grew after they dealt with other pandemics like SARS and H1N1. Cleanliness and sanitary practices may grow as well. Hong Kong cleaned up a TON after SARS hit.

Work-wise some places might be more okay with remote work.

Medically, people might need booster covid vaccines on a regular basis, like we do with flu shots.

On the negative side, I feel like anti-maskers/antivaxxers and the like will grow because of confirmation bias. The people who didn't wear masks/didn't get vaccinated and were lucky enough to not get sick will feel justified in their views, and will continue to push them.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Basically as soon as the government drops the requirements it'll be back to the way it was pre-Feb 2020.

I'd *hope* that more people learn from this and stay home when they're sick, or use a mask when out if they're sick but lets be honest, thats not going to happen. Our world will be filled with filth and bacteria once again.

The only possible benefit i see is the work from home/hybrid model being implemented more and hopefully the push for internet access being a right/more readily accessible to everyone.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new normal is not something you really want to see.

This honestly IS the good time. Please enjoy it. Please.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much hope the US learns anything. MAYBE a few more people will wear masks then they're sick and/or they go to airports and malls, but that's about it.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Honestly, not having to wear mask all day is what I'm waiting for. Although I'm impressed with how used to it I am now.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I think there will actually be less sickness once the vaccine is out, but in different ways. The mask "stigma" in the US has been dramatically lowered during this so people might actually wear them when they're sick with a cold or flu while out and about and at work. This will in turn create less sickness overall in the US during cold and flu seasons. I also think people will just generally have better hygiene and will actually wash their hands when they wouldn't have a year ago. A lot more people will continue to work from home now that companies see it as viable and possible more cost effective. This could lower traffic on the roads and by default create less pollution.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My complete non-expert guess is that the economic decline for non-wealthy folks will continue to decline for a couple of years, stabilize at a lower point than it's at now, and never quite rebuild back to the pre-COVID normal because of lack of circulation of wealth and due to ongoing huge disruptions from increasingly worse climate change consequences.

The wealthy will be unaffected in their upward trends for a while. They'll be effectively convincing us normies to blame each other for our problems while they live an entirely different existence in relative obscurity and free of plight thanks to their ultra wealth.

COVID-19 will just continue to be a wildcard for human existence in countries with poor wealth distribution or just low cumulative wealth, not because the capability of it being dealt with don't exist, but because those in power willingly want its prevention to be exclusive or because those in power don't have the resources to obtain and distribute treatments and cures.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
People around me already act like it wasn't a thing to begin with, and are back to normal. So about the same, with more death

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Once vaccinations become a thing then it will be back to normal even if it is a yearly type thing we have to get.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Echoing what most people are saying, it'll pretty much be back to pre-COVID behaviors in terms of everyday life, but with a lengthy rebound time for those that have lost work in industries whose deaths were accelerated by COVID.

I'm also going to venture to guess that you will see an immediate reduction in remote work once employers start looking at numbers. Certain industries can make it work; others absolutely struggle with it due to communication. The one I work in is one of them. I don't expect to be able to pull the remote work card again for quite some time once we're out of the woods, and to be honest, I don't think I'll want it for a while.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
After 5+ months of this, we're in a new normal right now. It sucks.

Once Trump is gone and competent people get a handle on our national coronavirus response, things will improve. I just hope to get to go to a concert, a sporting event, and a movie during 2021.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
almost all white collar jobs will remain remote, i'd imagine. which will probably worsen the class divide

personally i'll probably continue wearing a mask everywhere except home. finally came around to why it was common in other countries pre pandemic

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a couple of hundred thousand people die can apparently happen without any real consequence.

So I expect the new normal will be seeing lots and lots of people die to preserve the economy.

Enjoy.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Trump - No such thing as new normal, just more death, economy in shambles
Biden - mitigated spread & deaths until a few years down the road when a vaccine is widely available, economy remains in recession for a few years

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
- Restaurants industry collapses. Food trucks and takeout-only will rise.
- People move closer to their jobs so the don't rely on public transportation. High-rise condominiums will spread out to suburban areas.
- Acceleration in VR technology. Affordable VR solution will be available. Massive VR socialization places. We're getting closer to Ready Player One world.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Do you know that episode of Deep Space Nine set in 2024 OP? That, that's exactly America's future (and probably the UK's).