• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How impactful is a locked 60fps to your gaming experience?

• Basically essential. I will skip most games without a 60fps mode

• Near essential. I wont skip games without a 60fps mode, but i will not like it and it will annoy me

• Moderately essential. I like it, but i dont need it. Will use 60fps modes if available

• Nearly impartial. 30fps locked is fine, 60fps is nice, but will most likely use resolution/quality

• I cant tell the difference between 30 and 60, dont care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
How does it affect your gaming experience? And yes, i know, 144hz and shit is so nice. I love it too. But 60fps/30fps modes seem to be the most common console modes these days. So seeing how much it matters to people here :)

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It really, really varies. I can find enjoyment in non-60 FPS games, easily, if that's what the game was built around. You can just tell when a game is programmed around the limitation.

Games where it has a 60 FPS mode, though? No way in hell will I play it at 30.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I survived the N64 era. Anything above 20 is butter to me. The higher the better, but I ain't gonna be bothered at all by 30fps

Raigor

May 14, 2020
60fps is the bare minimum for me.

I won't play any game below 60fps no matter how good it is, my eyes are more important.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its not a deal killer if a game is 30 but its getting harder and harder for me to adapt to it these days. 60FPS in current gen games at the moment feels like a real treat. Games as a whole just feel FAR better to play - I just so vastly prefer the smoothness of a game that it effortlessly improves a game I already loved - Judge Eyes for example feels like a stuttering mess on the PS4 after playing the remaster, the combat FEELS so much better.
Even stuff like Ratchet or Spidey just feel vastly superior with better frame rates (and Insomniac manage to get pretty darn nice effects included to RT performance modes), and all those remasters/patches/magic MS BC stuff...
Its basically made the beginning of this gen so much better, and retroactively makes parts of last gen way better as well. I'll be sad when/if we go back to the likes of 30FPS with drops for games later in the gen because that'll unquestionably make games play worse, no matter how good they actually are.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I will not buy any console exclusives this gen if they don't have a 60fps mode. Luckily, so far, we seem to have had the choice. Let's hope it lasts the whole gen.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I rarely notice framerate unless we're talking N64 or Dark Souls on an Xbox 360 in Blighttown levels of bad, so I'll generally pick the effects/resolution modes over framerate modes. I can notice the difference between 30fps & 60fps if I pay attention (and just don't care that much), but over 60fps just feels like overkill.

Note, I try to make sure that all our games are 60fps.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Essential at this point and I will skip any game that doesn't support it. 60FPS is the bare minimum and 120+ is preferable.

So sick of 30fps garbage.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Basically essential for all action games or games requiring precision controls like platformers.

It boggles my mind how some people say they aren't sensitive to it.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put it this way: I would have bought Spiderman on PS4 and a PS4 console if it were 60 fps. I would not have bought Spiderman Remastered or Spiderman Miles Morales for my PS5 without 60 fps. I only bought TLOU2 when 60 fps was added. 60 FPS is minimum and non-negotiable.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I like having 60 fps but as long as the game runs at any consistent framerate that's 30 fps or above, it's totally fine by me.

I'm not gonna limit myself by refusing to play games that go under a certain fps. that's honestly dumb as hell.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Moderately essential. I will always pick it when it's a option, but I can deal with much worse framerate.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on what kind of game you're playing.

I'm not choosing a poll option because of this. It's this.

For a racing game? Absolutely necessary, even though I'm a bit of a hypocrite and bout the Vita wipEout and have played numerous racing games that weren't 60fps, but the difference is drastic and very noticeable.

For ... oh I don't know... Fire Emblem? Completely irrelevant. 60fps would not harm it, in any form, but it's not necessary.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It's nice, but not essential. Really depends on the type of game -- action stuff? Yeah, it's great. An RPG or more story/puzzle-driven adventure game? Feel free to lock at 30 and lavish on the visual details.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously prefer 60fps, will use graphics modes that enable that but it's not so important that I can't enjoy games with 30fps (or lower lol)

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Prefer 120fps.
Happy with 60.
Can enjoy locked 30 most the time (on console).

But sub 30 or 30 with dips - or God Help Us - low 20s throughout - and I'm not interested. Reason why as much as I'm a huge Zelda fan, I can't will myself to buy Hyrule Warriors.

Switch gaming is getting challenging.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Switch - prefer 60 fps, but will deal with 30 fps if I have to.
PS5 - will generally not buy/play any game that doesn't run at a locked 60 fps.
PC - will generally not buy/play any game that doesn't work with arbitrarily high framerates

Unfortunately, that last one means I won't be buying Deathloop on PC.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I don't care. I've been playing console games my whole life and didn't notice the difference until recently.

And I don't really play games that require speedy frames, so it's not a necessary feature for me.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
By your description, it's a "near essential" for me. I'll be pissed if a 9th gen releases without a 60fps mode, but I'll never not play a game because it's running at 30fps. Hell, even 20fps if I'm playing Ocarina of Time or some other game with bad framerate.

Well... maybe a "near/moderately essential" actually.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Really doesn't matter. If a game is fun a game is fun. 20 locked to 60+, or even all over the place performance, If its fun its fun.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The options in the poll kind of suck.

60fps is amazing. I love 60fps. Even higher is better. I have a great gaming PC to try and hit those high frame rates. I bought a 1440p monitor to go for 144fps instead of 4k at lower frame rates. I've spent a bunch of money to chase those higher frame rates.

Is it anywhere close to essential? Not at all.

About the only games where I feel it's essential are fast-paced FPS games. Obviously stuff like Metroid doesn't really need 60fps, but playing something like Doom or even Battlefield at 30fps or even an unstable 60fps is kinda difficult. EDIT: To a lesser degree racing games are up there with FPS games.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
60fps is now the bare minimum expected framerate in 2021. 120fps is the new standard for highly responsive gameplay/reduced latency.

Oct 25, 2017
It's great for shooters and stuff.
For any game that's not really fast paced though, I'll generally choose 4k 30 over 60 if it's a choice.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely essential. I recently tried a 30fps game again, and immediately decided I'm done with this shit. I will not play 30fps games anymore. 60fps is so much more immersive and enjoyable, and there are so many 60fps games now, I'm totally fine with waiting for a 60fps version of a 30fps game. And if that means I will have to wait for mid-gen consoles, or next-gen consoles, that's fine.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I like it but it's not essential. 30FPS plays fine for me, the only time it bothers me is if I switch from one to the other on the same game. But if it's two different games and one is 60fps while the other isn't, I really don't feel much difference after a few seconds.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
For me it's the bare minimum I'll tolerate now. I can't play the majority of things on the switch because of it

Kinda related but I also found it amusing how many people in the apple thread were talking about how 120hz on the new phone is a game changer when so many people seem to accept 30fps in games.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
For modern games, I have to admit 60fps is a must, but, I won't avoid a game if it doesn't have it, as long as the gameplay or the narrative is worth it.

Right now, I'm going trough my X360 Backlog, and most of the games are 30fps, and while you sure can' tell it's not as smooth, it's not impossible to get accustomed again to it and enjoy those games, especially when it's 3rd person.

Apr 26, 2020
60 FPS, how can I say it?

60FPS gives me hope , and stability in life.

The sight of a stable graph at this framerate in a graphics comparison video gives me comfort.
When i see it, i'll know that the comment section, that is the great parlement of opinions, will be pleased.

When actually playing any 60fps (trademark) game. The buttery smoothness of the movements and animations gives me a feeling of bliss that only an icecream during a hot summerday can match. It is something i'll be looking for, every day of my still long lasting gaming life.

60FPS isn't just something nice for me, it is the very thing that makes me feel alive and worth something.

It ...... is........ god.

I care more about stable FPS than a high fps, and simply people saying that stable 30fps is ''unplayable'' is something i will never understand

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
60 fps should be be the bare minimum these days. I'm not gonna skip on a fun game if it lacks a 60 fps mode, but I ain't gonna be happy about it either.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
#3 for me. I prefer it, but still enjoy plenty of games that aren't 60FPS, and if the developer thinks that 30fps is important to deliver a certain experience based on the hardware/time/cost triangle, then I think that's fine and I'll probably still enjoy the game.

The game I play the most right now, Red Dead Online, is 30fps, and I'm fine with it. I wish it was 60fps on consoles, I'd definitely prefer it, but the way I playt he game (boring, collecting, random PvE shit), 30fps is fine for me. Certainly hoping for a 60fps nextgen update one day. who knows.

If I have a choice between performance mode and graphics mode, I might *start* in graphics mode but then switch to performance mode. There's a funny thing that happens... When I started Control I started in graphics mode, and really liked it, then I tried performance mode and it was such an improvement, I switched over to performance mode and my brain kinda stitched in the details. I never really missed the ray tracing, and at times I'd go to settingss to make sure I was actually playing perf mode and not graphics mode.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I usually choose the 30 FPS 4K eye candy & ray-tracing over the 60 FPS buttery smooth movement, but I'm an old man with terrible reflexes who sets all his games to 'Easy' anyway.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Today it is near essential. I actively search if the game has a 60fps mode before buying. I don't care about ray tracing or 4K, as long as there's a 1080p or 1440p 60 fps mode.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Once I've played a game at 60fps, I'd say there's only a very small chance of me going back to a version that's 30 or lower.

But otherwise I'm not crying about games being limited to 30.