• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I love them! Pretty sure the look will grow on you once you get to know a Sphynx and realize how amazing they are.

Personally I have two Devon Rex kittens. Some people seem to suffer from allergy problems from this breed, while others don't.
The breed can also differ alot in how thick their coat of fur is. My oldest cat has much less hair than my little guy.
I would urge you to spend some time with the specific cat breed to ensure that they don't trigger any allergy reactions, before commiting to anything. Any respectable breeder would understand that.

I just wanted to say I love your cats :3c

I'm extremely allergic to all pets but I consider all cats cute.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is allergic to cats, and I am not, so I've been telling her we can get a hairless cat. She's all, "I don't want to pet a walking ballsack" or whatever.

But after some googling I've come to realize that yeah it may be a bit weird to lay, pet, and cuddle with a literal walking flesh bag.

Anyone have one?
hairless cats are not hypoallergenic. Also I'm quite fond of sphinxes.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cat allergies are caused by stuff in their saliva that they then get on their fur when they groom themselves. So while a hairless cat sorta helps them not shed a bunch of fur with their saliva on it all over the place, you actually want a cat that has less of that stuff in their saliva.

The cat with the least amount of it is...

siberian-cats-alla-lebedeva-26.jpg

The Siberian Forest cat. You want one of these giant hairy beasts. You'd want to check to make sure your wife doesn't have a reaction though, so you'd want to find a breeder that would let you visit.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're cute!
According to my Allergy doctor, hairless cats won't solve allergic reactions. The allergies come from their skin oils.

Well that's my memory of what he said.
I can (somewhat) confirm. My girlfriend's grandparents had a hypoallergenic dog and I could only stay there for about 4 hours before I became a sniffling, red-eyed mess. From what I understand people's triggers can vary, but for me it's easier to just not have a pet than it is to get a pet, get attached to it, and then realize that you're still allergic to something on this hypoallergenic dog/cat and have to give it away.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They're good little pets just like a cat with hair. They just look different is all. Still absolute sweethearts if raised in the right conditions.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I really want a Sphynx when my current cat passes on but I worry it will turn out to be a wrinkly one instead of a smooth one. I'm sure I'd still love it but I don't know how much petting it would get...

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
my wife says after our cat dies a hairless one will be only one shes consider.

Im done with any animals

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
hairless cats are badass and as cute as their furry friends. its better to have a naked cat than no cat at all!

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think they're pretty cute in a goblin-y kind of way. And you get to put sweaters on them during cold months!

My least favorite looking cat is the type with a short snout. Something about them reminds me of an old man.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
As someone who is allergic to dogs and cats, I will go my whole life without a pet as I am currently before I ever have a hairless cat. Sorry but no way.