• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
My wife is allergic to cats, and I am not, so I've been telling her we can get a hairless cat. She's all, "I don't want to pet a walking ballsack" or whatever.

But after some googling I've come to realize that yeah it may be a bit weird to lay, pet, and cuddle with a literal walking flesh bag.

Anyone have one?

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of love them, though I've never had one. A Devon Rex might be a good alternative? I think they're hypoallergenic, or can be, and they have very short coats so they avoid the balls look.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
1. There are furry breeds that are also hypoallergenic.
2. I think your wife doesn't want a cat.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I think they look strange from an aesthetic point of view and feel a mild dislike, but I've never pet one. I had the same feeling about pugs until I finally met one (yes, I know they're still Bad, don't worry, I won't be supporting the pug industry any time soon), and immediately fell in love, so I am hesitant to say I straight up dislike them because I need to pet and hang out with one first.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that people who are allergic to cats are actually allergic to cat saliva, and not their fur?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
42343242545.gif

Like all cats, I have infinite love for them.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Ive always wanted to get a Sphynx, but my girlfriend is allergic to the saliva, not the dander.

Other breed Ive wanted to get is a mini scottish fold. Or just a scottish fold.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think wrinkles are cute on animals, so though they are a bit different, they are cute in a way.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Well it isn't the perfect solution for someone with really bad allergies - although my mom is allergic to cats, she can deal with the Devon Rex breed of cats. They lack the outer coat of a normal cat so they shed allot less and their fur feels more like a poodle. Devon Rex still have dander so we also use Allerpet C once a week. Devon Rex + weekly Allerpet C wipe down = no allergies. Oh yeah, Devon Rex like hairless cats are an indoor breed since their coat wont stand up to the cold like a regular breed so they always seek warm places. They are also very playful, loving, and intelligent but will overinduldge in food if you let them.

Here is Jemma, my mom's 2.5 year old Devon Rex:

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They are really sweet looking, me and the wife eventually want to get one.

She actually does cat sitting and looked after a young boy sphynx called cheeseburger. He was super sweet, a little crazy but also really loving.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I've never seen one in person I don't think. I love fuzzy kitties but I reserve judgment on hairless ones. My first instinct is they're not as cute

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Used to hate them and think they are goblins.

Friend got one.

I now love them and still think they are goblins.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I think they unfairly have a bad rep. They can be pretty cute, and I've heard they also have very good and lovable personalities.
I wouldn't go out of my way to adopt one though (too expensive anyway), but if one were to fall onto my lap, I'd take care of it and love it as much as my other cats.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I find them ugly but I like them anyway, a pet is more than how it looks.

And you can do cosplay with them.
51rlDOIs4iL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
I find them ugly but hey, cats are cats. The most likeable bastards to ever exist

Since the wife got allergy you can always go for a British Short Hair. They're adorable and your wife will be fine :)

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I find them ugly cute, way more to my liking than some other breeds. Would love to have one down the line tbh.

Their paws are the stuff of nightmares, tho:
ce7bd6f59a35aab44435880a67c58f6a.png

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Look terrifying in picture, but when you see them up close it's actually adorable seeing them acting like normal cats.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They Look gross, but my friend's Sphynx cat loves cuddles, is super friendly and craves attention.
Not something I'd get, but I can appreciate them.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I love them, we almost got one a few years ago.

Apparently they need to be bathed semi regularly.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Yeah, I'm pretty staunchly in the "this is literally what every cat looks like under the fur, you just want to ignore it" camp.

I think they're adorable, bizarre though they may seem at first. Then again, I also like hairless dogs like the Chinese Crested, so maybe I'm the weird one.