• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Street level Coruscant.

Yes! God im so sad 1313 never happened.

Podracing for sure. That could be the basis of a story that isn't about bad guys trying to kill good guys for once. Give me Star Wars content that isn't life and death. Just fun adventures in this weird alien galaxy.

Yes! I would kill for a sports serial based on a shoe string garage pod racing team done with grandeur of sports shonen. Zoids style. Dear lord all that merchandise.

SW pod racers for n64 was one of the best things to come out of the prequels.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, do Episode X-XII where Rian Johnson directs them all and finds a way to retcon VII-IX with some timey wimey multiverse bullshit or whatever. I don't care how that happens. I just want it to happen.

Mar 30, 2019
More force-sensitives overall. Maybe a few that use their powers as a vocation, the Force doesn't have to mean bladed warrior wizard. I want a force user that has a gambling addiction or something. Change it up.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Actually just give me more Rian Johnson so people here can freak put with extremely hyperbolic statements about the guy and his work.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Hard gore.

Graphic sex scenes and sex position.

Swearing and vulgarity.

Pop culture references to real life events and people.

A cameo by Ed Sheeran playing himself but in Mandalorian Armor.

Hilarious catchphrases that we can print on buttons and shirts.

Also I would like a deep and meaningful story on the human condition and behaviour, the battle between good and evil and how inaction and fear leads to hatred and oppression. How the dark and light side is a metaphor for internal struggle.in our daily lives and the effect we can have on each other. But this should be an afterthought, the other stuff is much more important.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Small-scale narratives that have absolutely nothing to do with the Empire, the Rebellion, the Mandalorians or anything prominent in any of the trilogies.

Tell new stories, unburdened by reliance on the past. The universe is too big to be so small.

I agree, except I also think it's fine to have stormtroopers walk by in the background and stuff.

Mandalorian season 1 was excellent in this regard, but the finale made me think they maybe don't know what makes the show good. Hopefully they keep it personal in season 2, instead of feeling like they need to up the stakes and make it "bigger".

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Time machine to make a new trilogy with the original cast. Or to unmake the new trilogy and make a new one without any of the original cast.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
Force users or Jedi who have fundamentally different views or understandings about the force. Old EU had the Sith race treat and use it like magic, a race of universally force sensitive monks with their own practices and belief system, a race from the unknown region where force sensitivity manifested as short term future sight that they used to navigate the nightmarescape of the unknown region etc.

At this point anything about the traditional Jedi or Sith is a hard pass for me. I don't trust them to make it interesting anymore.

Feb 9, 2018
For feature films, either something during the Old Republic era or something in the distant future after Episode IX. The Skywalker Saga is over, so future movies should tread new ground. Hopefully that's what Rian Johnson's films will do.

But for TV series, I wouldn't be averse to seeing something that shows us what Rey, Finn, Poe and the others got up to after Episode IX. But there's a ton of potential stories that could be told, including filling in some story gaps before the prequels and between each of the trilogies.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
J7EyDiO.jpg
Same

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
... I just want good movies. Bonus if they don't invalidate the happy endings of previous movies.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue is the Warmest Color but it takes place in a star wars. everyone dies at the end because of the death star.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Rian's trilogy where he can shed the conventions of Star Wars and come up with something completely wild, with Filoni and Favreau giving the scripts a second pass.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Disney Lucasfilms should treat Star War's canon and even non-canon lore and continuity with respect. If the IP holders (or more specifically, the SW Story Group) themselves don't, the fans would think they are wasting their time and energy with your IP and move on to some thing else. Plenty of sci-fi IP out there to get yourself lost into. The Story Group should be stricter, more pro-active and more vocal. They should have the authority to refuse ideas from high profile creatives if said ideas has the potential to create problems for Star Wars lore and continuity. They give the impression that they're just a bunch of toothless care-takers of the IP judging from what we've seen in the Sequel Trilogy. Just to illustrate examples of the Sequel trilogy 'disrespecting' the lore and continuity:
  • Introducing relativistic kill vehicles/projectiles into the lore as a major plot point that destroys the verisimilitude and consistency of space battles in a sci-fi universe dominated by blasters, lightsabers, energy shields, turbolasers and crossbows that shoot lasers etc. is how you would turn-off the wargaming fans of your IP (ie. ARMADA and REBELLION fans) and worse, make the majority of SW fans question the danger posed by Death Stars and Starkiller Bases and the tactics and sacrifices done by our heroes to defeat them.
  • Messing around with the character development of beloved Original Trilogy characters was a big mistake. You fuck around with those OT characters means youre fucking around with the very foundation as to why most people become Star Wars fans in the first place. Why is TFA Han acting like a seedy, selfish smuggler like ANH Han? What happened to his character development at the end of ANH and in ESB? Why is TLJ Flashback Luke acting like his impulsive, prone to violence, Force-vision trusting version in ESB? What happened to his character development at the end of ESB and in RotJ? Continuity, anyone? Nothing says "I've wasted my time and energy into this IP" to a fan than seeing their beloved characters relapse into their old characterizations w/o proper setup or explanation. Show don't tell. In the movies themselves and not on some tie-in books. Their screentime and development is not something you should scrimp on.
  • Acknowledge its existence, be inspired by it, adapt and improve stories from the non-canon Star Wars EU Legends to help streamline story creation whether its for a movie or a new book or a new series etc.. That's what your MCU stablemate has been doing and it comes with the side bonus of fans generating buzz, hype and excitement to themselves and non-fans.

That's enough criticisms for now. For something more constructive as in things that i want to see for Star Wars going forward:
  • More variety in Force powers and Force-wielding affiliations. The existence of Force sensitives IS the defining characteristic of the Star Wars IP. The healthier they are story-wise, the better the IP will be. One of the key weakness of Star Wars EU for me was how similar story beats and key elements (and tech level) are regardless of era whether its KotoR, core or post-RotJ. This is because Star Wars continuity is dominated by diametrically opposed group of sword-wielding space wizards, Jedi and Sith. You could only do so much stories about Jedi's falling to the Dark side or Siths/Dark-side users being redeemed before it gets too repetitive. We need more Force-sensitives to serve as heroes and villains (or be backdrops to more mundane fighter pilots or slicers adventures) but we don't just need quantity (like lifting the Sith's Rule of Two), we also need variety. Druidic-Force sensitives, Technomancer-Force sensitives, Sado-masochistic Force sensitives, unaligned normal people Force-sensitives, Kreia-like nutso's wanting to destroy the Force etc. Since the post-RotJ timeline was rebooted and much of pre-Phantom Menace is a clean slate, i would suggest taking a look on DC' Sinestro Corps War as to how to expand your two faction dominated universe into 7 or more. Both fans and critics loved it (admittedly even Hal Jordan haters) and was quite profitable too.
  • This is more of a self-mastubatory wishlist but do get more high profile authors to write post-Sequel trilogy books and adapt and improve them later for a movie trilogy or a series.
    • Get Timothy Zahn to write a direct sequel to Rey's adventure (or Thrawn and Ezra if Filoni is not busy with them). Give him a blank check to chart the post-Sequel Trilogy direction of the IP. He is a talented writer and is a SW fan favourite even for the relapsed ones.
    • Get Dan Abnett. You want someone to try new ideas or expand the horizons of your IP or attract non-SW fans, he is your guy. From WH40k to Marvel's space characters, dude has been table-setting plenty of successful (and profitable) stories for years.
    • Get R.A. Salvatore . . . . ha, ha, i wish but the dude had a terribad experience writing SW books, he probably won't touch the IP ever again.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
A young Hutt who's father wants her to take over the family's criminal organization runs (or slithers) away to seek a better life as a Jedi but things don't go quite as planned.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Carte blanche to Dave Filoni to do whatever the fuck he wants
As much as I like Dave Filoni, even I wouldn't go that far. That said, he's arguably the best out of most of them, along with Jon Favreau. I trust the both of them, Filoni more so. I think that Filoni is more of George Lucas's prodigy than, say, Kathleen Kennedy, but then again, I think Kathy was more of a person that Lucas trusted the franchise to since he worked with her extensively.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda over similar beats and framework Star Wars uses. I need something fresh.

Sure I would still enjoy a good Star Wars film but the same notes, I want to move past the familiar beats.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Filoni should only function as a lore checker... there far far better live action directors and writers out there.

edit: and I am pretty sure they are already doing that..

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Small-scale narratives that have absolutely nothing to do with the Empire, the Rebellion, the Mandalorians or anything prominent in any of the trilogies.

Tell new stories, unburdened by reliance on the past. The universe is too big to be so small.
First post nails it. Most of the stuff OP mentioned is a lot of the stuff that is connected with my disillusionment in where we've ended up. Clones, Old Republic, New Republic, same aliens and crap bad guys. Give me something fun and exciting and unique, not retreading all the failures of the past.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Disney Lucasfilms should treat Star War's canon and even non-canon lore and continuity with respect. If the IP holders (or more specifically, the SW Story Group) themselves don't, the fans would think they are wasting their time and energy with your IP and move on to some thing else. Plenty of sci-fi IP out there to get yourself lost into. The Story Group should be stricter, more pro-active and more vocal. They should have the authority to refuse ideas from high profile creatives if said ideas has the potential to create problems for Star Wars lore and continuity. They give the impression that they're just a bunch of toothless care-takers of the IP judging from what we've seen in the Sequel Trilogy. Just to illustrate examples of the Sequel trilogy 'disrespecting' the lore and continuity:
  • Introducing relativistic kill vehicles/projectiles into the lore as a major plot point that destroys the verisimilitude and consistency of space battles in a sci-fi universe dominated by blasters, lightsabers, energy shields, turbolasers and crossbows that shoot lasers etc. is how you would turn-off the wargaming fans of your IP (ie. ARMADA and REBELLION fans) and worse, make the majority of SW fans question the danger posed by Death Stars and Starkiller Bases and the tactics and sacrifices done by our heroes to defeat them.
  • Messing around with the character development of beloved Original Trilogy characters was a big mistake. You fuck around with those OT characters means youre fucking around with the very foundation as to why most people become Star Wars fans in the first place. Why is TFA Han acting like a seedy, selfish smuggler like ANH Han? What happened to his character development at the end of ANH and in ESB? Why is TLJ Flashback Luke acting like his impulsive, prone to violence, Force-vision trusting version in ESB? What happened to his character development at the end of ESB and in RotJ? Continuity, anyone? Nothing says "I've wasted my time and energy into this IP" to a fan than seeing their beloved characters relapse into their old characterizations w/o proper setup or explanation. Show don't tell. In the movies themselves and not on some tie-in books. Their screentime and development is not something you should scrimp on.
  • Acknowledge its existence, be inspired by it, adapt and improve stories from the non-canon Star Wars EU Legends to help streamline story creation whether its for a movie or a new book or a new series etc.. That's what your MCU stablemate has been doing and it comes with the side bonus of fans generating buzz, hype and excitement to themselves and non-fans.

That's enough criticisms for now. For something more constructive as in things that i want to see for Star Wars going forward:
  • More variety in Force powers and Force-wielding affiliations. The existence of Force sensitives IS the defining characteristic of the Star Wars IP. The healthier they are story-wise, the better the IP will be. One of the key weakness of Star Wars EU for me was how similar story beats and key elements (and tech level) are regardless of era whether its KotoR, core or post-RotJ. This is because Star Wars continuity is dominated by diametrically opposed group of sword-wielding space wizards, Jedi and Sith. You could only do so much stories about Jedi's falling to the Dark side or Siths/Dark-side users being redeemed before it gets too repetitive. We need more Force-sensitives to serve as heroes and villains (or be backdrops to more mundane fighter pilots or slicers adventures) but we don't just need quantity (like lifting the Sith's Rule of Two), we also need variety. Druidic-Force sensitives, Technomancer-Force sensitives, Sado-masochistic Force sensitives, unaligned normal people Force-sensitives, Kreia-like nutso's wanting to destroy the Force etc. Since the post-RotJ timeline was rebooted and much of pre-Phantom Menace is a clean slate, i would suggest taking a look on DC' Sinestro Corps War as to how to expand your two faction dominated universe into 7 or more. Both fans and critics loved it (admittedly even Hal Jordan haters) and was quite profitable too.
  • This is more of a self-mastubatory wishlist but do get more high profile authors to write post-Sequel trilogy books and adapt and improve them later for a movie trilogy or a series.
    • Get Timothy Zahn to write a direct sequel to Rey's adventure (or Thrawn and Ezra if Filoni is not busy with them). Give him a blank check to chart the post-Sequel Trilogy direction of the IP. He is a talented writer and is a SW fan favourite even for the relapsed ones.
    • Get Dan Abnett. You want someone to try new ideas or expand the horizons of your IP or attract non-SW fans, he is your guy. From WH40k to Marvel's space characters, dude has been table-setting plenty of successful (and profitable) stories for years.
    • Get R.A. Salvatore . . . . ha, ha, i wish but the dude had a terribad experience writing SW books, he probably won't touch the IP ever again.
I kinda like Timothy Zahn's work nowadays, but I would definitely make use of him for the post-TROS era.

Sargerus

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything from KOTOR

I want Revan
I want Mandalorian Wars
I want Rakata Infinite Empire
I want Jedi CIvil War
I want the Ebon Hawk
I want HK-47

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The Raid Redemption.

But it's New Republic soldiers going into a planet still loyal to the Sith/First Order to capture an HVT and shit goes sideways.

Deeper plot, lots of melee, and maybe one Jedi. But it's a newbie Jedi with a broken lightsaber.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
More focus on pilots and space battles. It was seriously lacking in pretty much every film outside of the original trilogy. Mundane pilots like Wedge were some of my favorite characters in the old cannon.

I would also like smaller stories, the concepts of extreme class disparity in the New Republic and the struggles of regular people in this universe would be very cool to watch. Also, I would be more interested in just Force Sensitive people not Jedi or Sith. I like the idea of people just muddling through with limited powers then holy warriors caught in the same old religious feud.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Absolute pie-in-the-sky, never-in-a-million-years stuff? I honestly just want them to delete TROS and let Rian Johnson make the real Episode IX with all the actors back again.

But for things that could actually happen, I guess I'd just like to see more stuff like TLJ. I want writers and directors that don't handle Star Wars with kid gloves, afraid to do anything new because they perceive the franchise as so fragile it'll fall apart if you look at it the wrong way. Get weird with it. Tell new kinds of stories. Give it to quirky, unusual creatives and give them carte blanche. Break canon. Canon is stifling; nothing good ever came from slavishly adhering to Wookieepedia facts.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
They've done everything they can with Star Wars. Might as well start a new universe

The familiar content makes it Star Wars. If you want new content, go somewhere else

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
Jar Jar and Ewok adventures for kids (don't mix them though). No jedi, no sith, no rebellion.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Great first post. This is basically what I've had in mind for the future of the franchise since the Disney acquisition and later when I Rogue One launched.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind this but only if it were exclusively for Disney+ as I can't see it being in a theater.
You know a weekly cheeky adventures of young Han Solo and his Wookiee pal and sometimes Lando would be fine too, I don't really care where or how I just want it. There is only one other demand; no laser swords of any kind!