• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
edit: I just realized there was a similar thread made a month ago, but I'm an idiot and wrote this up and posted before checking, so oh well. lol

I just finished all 8 stories on the Switch version and clocked in roughly 100 hours.

I definitely enjoyed the experience and the vision the devs had for this game, but looking back I would like to see these improvements for a sequel if they ever decide to make another:

1. The storylines need to be intertwined better and more engaging
The premise was interesting but I feel they could have done so much more to connect the storylines of the 8 characters better. To me, they all seemed rather disjointed apart from the occasional party banters that pop up similar to the Tales series (just not as good). There were also many times where the writing was pretty lazy and everything played out way too conveniently.
Alfyn, in order to save Ogen from dying, has to concoct a rare elixir that an apothecary gave him as a child as he had the same disease. He somehow has a flashback where he remembers asking Graham the ingredients and he suddenly remembers he needs a rare ingredient called an Ogre Feather. This rare specimen just so happens to be in the forest right next to the town you are in. lol
I feel like there were a lot of cases like this, too. Also the sidequests in this were rather dreadful and mostly uninteresting, I really want to see some better side content for the sequel.

Perhaps this will be more of a focal point for the sequel and this game was just a foundation to introduce all the characters and lore. There were some cool instances where things connected, one example being:
Graham Crossford, the apothecary who healed Alfyn in his storyline, was later revealed to be the author of Tressa's adventure book she got at the beginning of her quest.
Perhaps there were more cases of this happening and I just didn't notice or come across it as I didn't complete every sidequest or did the post-game content.

2. The world was grand, but too linear for my liking
This was something that was a little disappointing. The world and locations the devs created was great and you can tell a lot of care was put into this game, but the majority of the game when traveling or dungeon raiding felt like you were just on rails the entire time, and each area was the exact same where the exploration options they do give you were multiple paths that concluded with opening a chest every time. I'm not asking for an open world game or anything like that, but something in between where it's not as linear and exploration is exciting and a little more rewarding. New towns and locations are a given, maybe even a brand new continent? Even the current continent we are on has many areas that we can not explore or are not even filled out.

3. The lore was surprisingly deep, hopefully this is expanded on
This is not really a criticism but rather a hope they ramp things up for a sequel. Apparently this game has a crazy epilogue which is completely optional:
After finishing all 8 stories and completing all of Kit's sidequests (Kit is the son of the apothecary Graham Crossford) among some others, a final sidequest opens up called The Gate of Finis. This was hinted at when you defeated Olberic's Chapter 4 boss and Cyrus' Chapter 4 quest in obtaining a book about it. Inside you face the "true" final boss of the game called Galdera who just so happens to be a pissed off god who created the continent of Orsterra but was banished by the other 12 gods when he attempted to seize all the power for himself. He apparently somehow has a demi-goddess daughter who's in the game and frees him? I mean, this game is fucking crazy and it's insane how much lore there is and it's all just optional content that most people probably won't even see or care to look into.

4. More options for battling similar to Bravely Default
Without equipping Cyrus' "Evasive Maneuvers" ability (which lowers the random encounter rate by 50%) I felt the game had way too many random encounters which made the game a bit of a slog to play. With it enabled it was fine, but I shouldn't have to take up a skill slot for this. It would be nice to get some of Bravely Default's customization like adjusting the random encounter rate from high to zero or being able to speed up battles if you're fighting trash mobs and don't want to flee. I much prefer the system where you see the overworld enemies so you can engage if you want, however I realize random encounters was a design decision to mimic old school JRPG's.

5. More character customization!
Things like more jobs to choose from (12 right now), seeing your character's gear change based on what you put on (your clothes change only based on jobs), more weapons with unique looks, more spells, just go crazy.

There's probably other things I'm missing I just forgot about, I'm sure others can elaborate on. Besides that, I honestly want more of the same when it comes to the game's modern yet retro look, the OST was awesome, and the combat system was dope. The combat system was probably the best part of the game IMO and kept me coming back for more. Just adding/tweaking with all of this and not deviating too much because these are the things that made the game great in the first place, like maybe the option for non-active party members to get some XP so they are not severely underleveled when you do get around to using them.

So now that it's on PC it gave more people the chance to play it. What do you want to see for the sequel? Do you want it stay on Switch with PC later or a simultaneous release with Xbox and PlayStation added, too?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A good overarching story with tons of different ways for the character stories to interweave and react to each other depending on the order in which you play them.

Also mix up the activities in each chapter. It all felt a bit too templated.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Op, I agree with everything you said.

I would also like to see the level scaling working better. It was kind of a pain leveling everyone up. And the game became way too easy after the first few hours.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I would like to see the accessibility options from BD1 & 2 come back for Octopath 2. I know it's different teams, but was really bummed to not see that there.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
Make the Boost/Break system even more necessary during battles so we can quickly weed out opinions of those who didn't bother to learn how to play.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It needs boss battles that don't feel like they take an eternity, storylines that are actually worth playing through, party members who interact with each other in meaningful ways, and a game design structure that isn't literally an infinitely repeating loop from hour one to hour one hundred.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting Octopath is a sub 4GB game (3GB to be precise) so it fit in a fairly cheap cart last year. The sequel can be on a 8GB or 16GB cart and you could easily double/ quadruple the assets (including more Voice acting) without doing anything technical. And really, I expect SE would go big and hit 16 GB at minimum considering the number of discount sub $60 games release on 16GB carts this year indicate it's already fairly cheap, likely the same cost as 8GB in 2017 which is an equivalent to a BR disc. 32GB in 2020 even possible.

They could even do something like include the original Octopath game in the sequel and tie those original 8 narratives into the rest of the game without breaking a sweat and allow existing owners of Octopath to transfer save data into the sequel to pick up on the threads of the original story and have the 8 show up as supporting characters in the new story, either with a time skip, a continuation of the original 8 stories, or a story in parallel to the Octopath story from last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BizzyBum

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Op, I agree with everything you said.

I would also like to see the level scaling working better. It was kind of a pain leveling everyone up. And the game became way too easy after the first few hours.

I found once I leveled up Cyrus and unlocked all of his skills it became easier, yeah. And that's not even unlocking the secret class of Scholar for him which gives him every elemental spell at his leisure that can triple attack all enemies. lol

There were still some interesting dynamics to pull off, though. I usually opted to use Ophelia's divine skill on Cyrus which gave him the ability to use his spells four times in one turn for three turns which helped a ton to break bosses and do massive damage.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Make the secret boss fight less bullshit. That's the only thing I have left to do in that game now but I think I'm done.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't necessarily want a more epic story (I found a lot of charm in the little tales from the original) but I want the characters to have more importance in the story of each other, make them seem like they're an actual team aside from the occasional banter in a tavern or whatever. Make the fact that they're characters in an overarching plot matter.

Aside from that, keep everything the same. Maybe improve a few things but I believe that OT already nailed battle system, artstyle and music.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather they use the same engine/graphical style and make a completely different game with a different name, perhaps focusing on another quirk of 16 bit RPGs.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
i want to see them tie the character stories together in an interesting way. absolutely loved the first game but was a little disappointed when i realized their stories never really tied together.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I lost interest in the game once it became clear there weren't any strong narrative reasons to continue. Change that.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I would like them to loosen up on some of the restrictions in the battle system to make it more like Bravely Default. Let us use duplicate subclasses, for example. Even let us change main classes and use duplicates, too.

Give us experience share across the entire party. That would make balancing the game much easier for them, too.

Make every dungeon have a unique theme. If there have to be fewer dungeons, I'll take that trade-off. The dungeons just don't feel interesting to explore when they're only slight variations on a few themes.

Storywise... I just want better writing. Octopath takes too many words to say very basic things. I just want more compelling plots, I don't know how else to say it.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
- Having the story arcs be intertwined
- Visual representation of equipped gear

Not much else tbh.

OP
OP
BizzyBum

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It needs boss battles that don't feel like they take an eternity

I had a setup that melted bosses by the end.

Break a boss, have someone cast a physical defense debuff on him, buff Olberic's physical attacks with the Warrior skill Abide, then unleash his divine skill Brand's Thunder with a Battle-tested Sword with the Surpassing Power skill equipped and you could hit a boss for like 30-50K depending on resistances. Buffs and debuffs are HUGE in this game.

If you're lacking BP just have another party member give him an Energizing Pomegranate (L).

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
To be on PS5 lol

Seriously though, hopefully they don't jump straight to Octopath 2. That studio claimed to want to do a new game every year, and implied to do that they'd need 4 IPs total.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
More triggers in the story that happen when different party members with different skills/storylines are in the game. I love Octopath traveler but the team never felt as close knit as the cast of Bravely.

Have more classes to choose from, and have the characters capable of interacting with each others stories. It would dramatically mix up replays of the game and make the player have more investment in their choices in the beginning of the game.

For example bringing Therion along on Olivia's questline should have ramifications and they should interact with each other as they're opposites. The skits were nice, but the skits really needed to be in the main story.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Better dungeons, with puzzles. Even more classes and better use of the characters path actions like Steal or Scrutinize. Also, it would be really nice if they could add an encounter toggle 0% to 200% like Bravely Default.

I actually like the main structure of the game, so I wouldn't change it.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
A better and more intricate plot. I don't care if there is an overarching narrative or not, I just want the level of story quality displayed in that first demo. And I know those chapters were pretty much pulled from the final game, but there wasn't a single character's storyline that didn't leave me disappointed overall.

Except maybe Tressa's, because Tressa is the best
Octopath-Traveler_2018_07-11-18_001.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Less grinding. Love the world, music and characters. Story could be better but I'd love for it to be a bit easier between chapters with huge difficult jumps. Hate grinding needlessly

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
A full voiceover rather than luring players in by starting with one before cheaping out on it but not lowering the price accordingly.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Double it, octopath traveler times two.
Now you play the same dungeon 16 times.

Nah but for real. Character interaction, story linked and a bigger threat instead of spending 90% of the time telling cute stories

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
More interaction between characters during other storylines.

Other than that just more of the same. I absolutely loved Octopath and I'm Day 1 for the sequel.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly just having an interconnected story and like a social link system would go a long ways to improving what they have now.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
A different overall structure. The game became a slog starting from the third act because you were always doing the exact thing.

OP
OP
BizzyBum

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Make every dungeon have a unique theme. If there have to be fewer dungeons, I'll take that trade-off. The dungeons just don't feel interesting to explore when they're only slight variations on a few themes.
Better dungeons, with puzzles.

Yes, this is something I forgot to mention.

After awhile the dungeons became too samey and I honestly didn't bother with a lot of them after I realized this. Good for completionists who wanted to kill every secret boss, though.

Also, Therion being the only character who could unlock the purple chests was a bad mechanic.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much time it would take to do it, but even if they want to do this "eight different character arcs!" approach they got to intertwine those stories man. Maybe have different branches depending on the order you do the scenarios in or who you do it with (like for example, maybe if you do one two character's chapters, it forces a bad guy to ally himself into another character story's villain when he wouldn't have done this otherwise, etc).

And also, they need to have the characters interact with each other a lot more than they did. I was just expecting a couple of lines of unique dialogue depending on who you brought to which character quest, but you end up getting even less than that with your party being just mute for the most part outside of random, easily missable skits.

I don't even care if they end up bringing back all the same characters, because man, there was so much untapped potential in that story

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I never made the effort to try. I was already at 100 hours and kinda burnt out, maybe I'll come back to it at a later date.

Why is he bullshit, and what level is your party at?

I don't mind the grind. But there are mini bosses before the final boss that you have to go through and you can't save in between. If you die at any point, you have to go through them again. I like to figure the boss out without looking at guides on internet but it will be incredibly boring to have to fight them over and over until I figure the final boss out.

OP
OP
BizzyBum

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I don't mind the grind. But there are mini bosses before the final boss that you have to go through and you can't save in between. If you die at any point, you have to go through them again. I like to figure the boss out without looking at guides on internet but it will be incredibly boring to have to fight them over and over until I figure the final boss out.

Oh damn, so it's like Mega Man style? That would be pretty awful to die and having to redo it all.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some way to lessen the grind (Speed up, autobattle, something...) I got burned out around everyone's 3rd chapter.

OP
OP
BizzyBum

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nah but for real. Character interaction, story linked and a bigger threat instead of spending 90% of the time telling cute stories

The post-game epilogue which is completely optional and something most people don't complete if I had to guess has that bigger threat you are looking for. This goes back to my #3 point in the OP in hoping the next game goes crazy with this lore that for some reason is hidden away in this game.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
edit: I just realized there was a similar thread made a month ago, but I'm an idiot and wrote this up and posted before checking, so oh well. lol

I just finished all 8 stories on the Switch version and clocked in roughly 100 hours.

I definitely enjoyed the experience and the vision the devs had for this game, but looking back I would like to see these improvements for a sequel if they ever decide to make another:

1. The storylines need to be intertwined better and more engaging
The premise was interesting but I feel they could have done so much more to connect the storylines of the 8 characters better. To me, they all seemed rather disjointed apart from the occasional party banters that pop up similar to the Tales series (just not as good). There were also many times where the writing was pretty lazy and everything played out way too conveniently.
Alfyn, in order to save Ogen from dying, has to concoct a rare elixir that an apothecary gave him as a child as he had the same disease. He somehow has a flashback where he remembers asking Graham the ingredients and he suddenly remembers he needs a rare ingredient called an Ogre Feather. This rare specimen just so happens to be in the forest right next to the town you are in. lol
I feel like there were a lot of cases like this, too. Also the sidequests in this were rather dreadful and mostly uninteresting, I really want to see some better side content for the sequel.

Perhaps this will be more of a focal point for the sequel and this game was just a foundation to introduce all the characters and lore. There were some cool instances where things connected, one example being:
Graham Crossford, the apothecary who healed Alfyn in his storyline, was later revealed to be the author of Tressa's adventure book she got at the beginning of her quest.
Perhaps there were more cases of this happening and I just didn't notice or come across it as I didn't complete every sidequest or did the post-game content.

2. The world was grand, but too linear for my liking
This was something that was a little disappointing. The world and locations the devs created was great and you can tell a lot of care was put into this game, but the majority of the game when traveling or dungeon raiding felt like you were just on rails the entire time, and each area was the exact same where the exploration options they do give you were multiple paths that concluded with opening a chest every time. I'm not asking for an open world game or anything like that, but something in between where it's not as linear and exploration is exciting and a little more rewarding. New towns and locations are a given, maybe even a brand new continent? Even the current continent we are on has many areas that we can not explore or are not even filled out.

3. The lore was surprisingly deep, hopefully this is expanded on
This is not really a criticism but rather a hope they ramp things up for a sequel. Apparently this game has a crazy epilogue which is completely optional:
After finishing all 8 stories and completing all of Kit's sidequests (Kit is the son of the apothecary Graham Crossford) among some others, a final sidequest opens up called The Gate of Finis. This was hinted at when you defeated Olberic's Chapter 4 boss and Cyrus' Chapter 4 quest in obtaining a book about it. Inside you face the "true" final boss of the game called Galdera who just so happens to be a pissed off god who created the continent of Orsterra but was banished by the other 12 gods when he attempted to seize all the power for himself. He apparently somehow has a demi-goddess daughter who's in the game and frees him? I mean, this game is fucking crazy and it's insane how much lore there is and it's all just optional content that most people probably won't even see or care to look into.

4. More options for battling similar to Bravely Default
Without equipping Cyrus' "Evasive Maneuvers" ability (which lowers the random encounter rate by 50%) I felt the game had way too many random encounters which made the game a bit of a slog to play. With it enabled it was fine, but I shouldn't have to take up a skill slot for this. It would be nice to get some of Bravely Default's customization like adjusting the random encounter rate from high to zero or being able to speed up battles if you're fighting trash mobs and don't want to flee. I much prefer the system where you see the overworld enemies so you can engage if you want, however I realize random encounters was a design decision to mimic old school JRPG's.

5. More character customization!
Things like more jobs to choose from (12 right now), seeing your character's gear change based on what you put on (your clothes change only based on jobs), more weapons with unique looks, more spells, just go crazy.

There's probably other things I'm missing I just forgot about, I'm sure others can elaborate on. Besides that, I honestly want more of the same when it comes to the game's modern yet retro look, the OST was awesome, and the combat system was dope. The combat system was probably the best part of the game IMO and kept me coming back for more. Just adding/tweaking with all of this and not deviating too much because these are the things that made the game great in the first place, like maybe the option for non-active party members to get some XP so they are not severely underleveled when you do get around to using them.

So now that it's on PC it gave more people the chance to play it. What do you want to see for the sequel? Do you want it stay on Switch with PC later or a simultaneous release with Xbox and PlayStation added, too?

Pretty much all of this, but mostly 1 and 2. Also, is it too much to maybe mix up the ultra-cliche JRPG anime dialogue too?