• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
I think the newest, recent release, was that Phantasy Star Idola mobile game which a lot of people saw as a rip off to that Fate/Go mobile game.

I've been in a phantasy star community for over a decade, and we're rather starved for a new installment. I'm all skin and bones right now.

I know a few people played the japanese version of Phantasy Star Online 2, but didn't like it as much as the older games. I played the japanese version for a little bit myself but I ended up dropping it. Knowing me, I'll probably give it another shot once it comes to the West.

Personally, I really enjoyed Phantasy Star Portable 2 way back on the PlayStation Portable. I had a lot of good times there.

Sadly, we never got Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity or Phantasy Star Nova.

What about you all?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I would love a new single player Phantasy Star, I don't trust developers of modern JRPGs to make a new one that isn't some embarrassing otaku trash filler fest. Remasters of the old games like M2's version of PSI would be nice, though.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Phantasy Star 5 that keeps the traditional gameplay, but with modern tech like Dragon Quest XI.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A remake of PSO Ep 1, 2, & 4 or just a HD remaster of the same thing. Cross platform, cross save, no independent game subscription fees this time.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
PSO3. Wouldn't mind a new AAA-ish single player JRPG too. Hell while we're at it, lets get a Platinum action game. Or better yet, let them do PSO3's combat.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Give Rieko Kodama a AAA budget for an RPG. Phantasy Star V, Skies of Arcadia 2, new IP, whatever.

A PSO3 that's global from the start and commits more to the distinct "PSO" aesthetic would be good too. PSO2 seemed to be trying at first, but it went out the window fast and now the story is just cheap pandering nonsense and the designs are garbage.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
A new PSO with a similar bleak and hostile tone as episode 1.

Combat design inspired by the Souls games.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Rieko Kodama still works at Sega, please put her to work on another game and Skies of Arcadia too.

I have zero interest in any Online/Universe/Portable games, I view it as an entirely different series.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
PSO3. Wouldn't mind a new AAA-ish single player JRPG too. Hell while we're at it, lets get a Platinum action game. Or better yet, let them do PSO3's combat.
The combat is easily the best thing about PSO2 (aside from the character creator) so not sure why you would bother getting Platinum to do it. It really wouldn't be much different.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd like to see remakes of Phantasy Star I, II and IV with modern graphics while retaining the brisk pace of battles from those games.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I'd say Phantasy Star V, but IV was a pretty conclusive ending for the series. I suppose a new game's story wouldn't have to centre around defeating Dark Force though.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Phantasy Star Online HD on the Switch or on all consoles\pc with crossplatform.

Phantasy Star 1-4 remake or a reboot would also be nice.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star Online back. I don't even want it in HD. I don't want voice chat. Just give me the fucking game. I'll pay like a hundred bucks plus a monthly fee. Just give it to me.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Phantasy Star V, but IV was a pretty conclusive ending for the series. I suppose a new game's story wouldn't have to centre around defeating Dark Force though.

This is the main reason I'd also just accept a Skies of Arcadia 2. From what I recall, that was more or less originally meant to be the start of a new RPG franchise to be a successor to classic PS since IV capped the series pretty well. Not that there's nowhere to go AT ALL for classic PS, as possible directions for that have come up interviews as well, but outside remakes, a Skies 2 would probably be a better direction to go.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sega should give it to Zeboyd, pull a Sonic Mania with a new entry in the style of the first 4.

I'd love a single player PSO-style game again too

Deleted member 44122

id like to see a remaster (or virtual console release or whatever) of phantasy star online episode 1&2. i spent countless hours with this game on gamecube

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
I mean, they made Shining Resonance Refrain which is from a far less popular IP so I couldn't understand why they couldn't just make another single player Phantasy Star.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want some JRPG turn based, single player, story driven Phantasy Star. Something like this in game form:

This post's got me confused. You know Episode Oracle is based on the single player story of PSO2, right? It may not be turn based, but still, it's very much available in game form.

kakistocrats

Oct 29, 2017
PSO3 would have to be a real paradigm shift for online co-op. It would have to boldly distinguish itself from competing experiences like MH:W or FFXIV - within the space of a single trailer, it would have to win over not just JRPG players but a lot of the types of gamers who were anticipating the release of Anthem. It couldn't just be an update of PSO2. On impact, the first glimpse people got of the game would have to make everyone feel like a viable new challenger had entered what has become a extremely crowded space.

At this point I'd probably rather see a full-scale re-imagining of PS1 than a brand new mainline single-player PS5. PS4 was a truly thrilling and masterful conclusion to the series that made each of the three preceding games more compelling by association. I remember beating PS4 for the first time and wanting to do nothing so much as go back and experience for myself the adventures of Alys that were referenced so often, but being put off by PS1's archaic graphics and gameplay.

I think a strong AA or AAA remake of PS1 would be of interest to a lot of people given how inaccessible that game feels by modern standards, and if it hit, I think it would generate a lot of excitement about the possibility of other remakes by that same team, given how beloved IV is and how well IV incorporates elements of all three of the preceding storylines.

Going right into PS5 would be kind of a scary prospect. IV didn't leave any loose ends left to tie up and the classic turn-based JRPG gameplay the series is known for isn't, in itself, going to drive a lot of interest in a new title after such a long hiatus. A PS1 remake seems like the safest bet to rekindle interest in the series, and anything more ambitious than that would probably sell more if it were called PSO3 rather than PS5.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
This, very much. First post nails it.

I would also have liked to see PSIII being given a second chance. Remake it, rework it, reimagine it, bring that little bit of extra lore back into a state that fits with the rest of the series. That game was not very good, on many levels, but it can still be part of the story.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Loved -PSO but don't think it's aged well and PS02 is going to disappoint a lot of people when they finally get their hands on it. Needs a new modern full fledged sequel with a new combat system.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
We need Phantasy Star 5 badly - I'm currently playing PS4 for the umpteenth time and its still the best 16 bit RPG.
If I ever ran an indie studio this would be what I would want to make. That's what I wished Piers Solar would've been.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Reiko working with the EO team on a Phantasy Star V.

PSO2 on all consoles+PC globally, crossplay and crossprogression.