• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you like the monestary segments?

• Yes! I loved speaking to the students and fishing!

Votes: 145 45.5%
  • Eh, I could take it or leave it, it's not a big deal.

Votes: 100 31.3%
  • No, I thought it to be unnecessary and I wished they focused on the battles.

Votes: 74 23.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
We've had camp sections in past games & I think some sort of middle ground between that & the Monastery is appropriate. The cast gets pretty huge in the most recent games (between Fateswakening babies & multiple houses) which really pads out the length of the monastery stuff a lot. That said some of the customization & social options were very welcome. I think it needs to be pared down & a bit more focused, but there's a lot to like about what they were trying to do.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
  • Tone Down the Sexualization of the Ladies
    • It's honestly gotten to the point where it's getting annoying, especially for F!Byleth (whose outfit doesn't make much sense for a mercenary or a professor).
To be fair, only 2 women in the game (out of 10-15) are sexualized. It's a massive step forward compared to Fates or Awakening.

Deleted member 54170

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Enough with the Corrins and Byleths and back to a fixed protagonist. Customizable main characters are bad for the story.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I liked the monastery sections in Three Houses...for the first few hours. However, running around that huge map, talking to everyone, finding lost items over and over again...It got pretty boring after awhile. If it comes back in future titles, I'd like to see it streamlined in some way.

I loved being a teacher to my units and setting up lesson plans every week though. Something about training my students in certain fields and unlocking their hidden potential was just really engaging to me. It made me really care for the characters in a way that past FE games haven't, and seeing them get stronger throughout the game was immensely satisfying.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what makes some people think that FE is more anime now than before. Old FE games are like old anime, and new FE games are like new anime, and tbh 3H does a massive strep in the right direction compared to the original 3DS games on this regard.

I feel like the old games were gameplay focused. Story, setting and even art design served to complement the gameplay, the battles.

While on 3H I felt the opposite. The social element were the biggest focus of the game while the strategy part just complemented that. You spend way more time doing social stuff than strategy stuff.

My biggest gripe isn't with the art direction, I expressed myself poorly, you are right that old FE games looked like old anime.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the monastery and teaching, although it'd be cool if the next FE game was more of a "travelling" adventure like older FE (7 and 8) for example, and the monastery instead was like a military camp that changes through missions, while also letting you explore small towns or small sections of big cities.

I also would like dungeons, like Shadows of Valentia's, to return.

Finally, improve the visuals please. The models look pretty good, but the resolution is terrible and the known visual glitches are quite odd.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a single, fleshed out story path. Still bitter about playing Blue Lions and how many holes there were in the story in Three Houses. I understand that was intentional but personally, I did not like it at all.

I also want them to make the main character have a real personality too. Byleth was a very, very boring character to me but that might be because of the path I played. The backstory there wasn't very developed in the Blue Lion route.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59562

Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
User banned (3 Days): Using autism as an insult
Poll didn't apply to my problem with the game: it wasn't good enough to make me want to play the whole story

I did like the game and spent 130 hours on it because at its core it's fun and the management is fun and the route where you kill the dragon illuminati pope for being a dumb shifty bitch was cool. But the characters and plot are mediocre, as in engaging enough and not producing more than irritation, but not good enough to paper over the technical and design shortcomings of the game.

The Blue Lions route broke me around the time of realizing Dimitri had a fucking pointless story and I forced myself to see it through for no good reason besides hoping for some good maps in the finale.

I want:
More maps
More bold character writing, fewer stock character types and affectations, harem anime could potentially be written by people who aren't cretins inside and still marketed and sold to cretins
Less story routes since 200 hours of story mode is too damn much and the stories are written by people with no talent or interest in their material
More objective types and win conditions
And for these to lead to branching combat scenarios or story paths like say avoiding engaging Claude in the gronder field battle leading to a different outcome or something or forcing a surrender by taking choke points in a fort or something
Less homophobia
Higher performance and graphical quality targets
Less asinine and antisocial 'social link' type stuff, almost all gifts work, the tea parties were insulting and boring like an autistic shut-in fantasy of what talking to humans could be like. They were meaningless and revealed nothing but the rank incompetence of the modelers and environment artists
Support systems where outcomes matter more and can be affected meaningfully by dialog choices
Stronger sense of battlefield and tactics, the jrpg leveling is fun and invests me even in thinly written characters, but I never felt like a tactician or that tactics were a big part of battle besides the basic don't let units die and gang up on enemies tactics. I wanted to feel more like Napoleon of animetown.

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Reduce the amount of "paths" to max. two or return to a single one that has different outcomes depending on actions the player did within mission and during the interim time. Three Houses is great, but you can see that they went out of time or ideas with the reuse of many elements between the 4 paths in there.

Monastery stuff was pretty cool, but went tedious too fast, if they can manage to tweak it, i'd love to have that return.

Child chars can return, but only with an ingame time-skip. No more dimension or time travel shenanigans. And they are fixed, so no date sim outside of the main char.

More classes, especiall unique ones, and yeah, no more gender locked ones.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
- No school
- No calendar
- One path, multiple endings and side branches
- More axe and bow lords
- Keep the assassinations and dark stuff
- Less teenagers, more adults (the Radiant games are the way to go)
- Bring dragons back
None of the cast are teenagers (discounting 18/19 yos) after the time skip. Also Ike is 17 in Path of Radiance so??????

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Poll didn't apply to my problem with the game: it wasn't good enough to make me want to play the whole story

I did like the game and spent 130 hours on it because at its core it's fun and the management is fun and the route where you kill the dragon illuminati pope for being a dumb shifty bitch was cool. But the characters and plot are mediocre, as in engaging enough and not producing more than irritation, but not good enough to paper over the technical and design shortcomings of the game.

The Blue Lions route broke me around the time of realizing Dimitri had a fucking pointless story and I forced myself to see it through for no good reason besides hoping for some good maps in the finale.

I want:
More maps
More bold character writing fewer stock character types and affectations, harem anime could potentially be written by people who aren't cretins inside and still marketed and sold to them
Less story routes since 200 hours of story mode is too damn much and the stories are written by people with no talent or interest in their material
More objective types and win conditions
And for these to lead to branching combat scenarios or story paths like say avoiding engaging Claude in the gronder field battle leading to a different outcome or something or forcing a surrender by taking choke points in a fort or something
Less homophobia
Higher performance and graphical quality targets
Less asinine and antisocial 'social link' type stuff, almost all gifts work, the tea parties were insulting and boring like an autistic shut-in fantasy of what talking to humans could be like. They were meaningless and revealed nothing but the rank incompetence of the modelers and environment artists
Support systems where outcomes matter more and can be affected meaningfully by dialog choices
Stronger sense of battlefield and tactics, the jrpg leveling is fun and invests me even in thinly written characters, but I never felt like a tactician or that tactics were a big part of battle besides the basic don't let units die and gang up on enemies tactics. I wanted to feel more like Napoleon of animetown.
Just curious, do you mean the lack of gay options for M!Byleth, or is there Persona-levels of homophobia in Three Houses? I'm genuinely asking here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the Monastery segments were the best parts of that game. The Fire Emblem stuff was good too.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I liked some of the mechanics that used the monastery but not the monastery itself. If they do bring it back or expand it I would like to have an optional menu that lets you access all the functionality without having to run around.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The dialogue and character interaction parts of Three Houses, Birthright and Awakening we're what drew me to the games and saw me finish them.

I'm not much of a fan of the combat gameplay and just play on Normal Casual. I'm there for the stories and characters. I'm pretty indifferent if the dialogue requires running around a hub or is a smaller area or menu driven.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I liked the monastery idea at first but after about halfway through the game it became very tedious. And on a 2nd playthrough just exhausting.

Oct 25, 2017
If they keep the social stuff, they need to tighten it up a bit. Running around a giant area making sure I talk to everyone, pick the right activities, find some hidden items was just too much of a chore and felt like I was ticking off items in a big checklist.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I'm fine with the teaching part, but wandering around giving every student a lost button until one claims it sucked. Focus more on battles.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
While on 3H I felt the opposite. The social element were the biggest focus of the game while the strategy part just complemented that. You spend way more time doing social stuff than strategy stuff.
I agree and disagree with you. I agree that the game has too much "Monastery" stuff: fishing, lots of supports, bad sidequests, tea time etc... and I would like the next game to have more varitey during the no-combat sections, or less of those sections. It's true that older games were far more direct: battle, cutscene (short one), maybe 1 or supports and another battle, rinse repeat.

But I disagree that the new game is less gameplay-oriented. 3H has lots of deep mechanics tied to how your characters fight: free-flow class system, lots of personal skills, free weapon use between classes, lots of customization for each character regarding strong/weak points. I mean, in older games your Knight guy was going to promote to General with roughly the same stats every time you played it, while in 3H you can try lots of party compositions and crazy strategies. I agree that the map design is not that good, and that the game feels stretched during the 2nd half as the monastery stuff doesn't work that well during 20+ chapters, but I feel that this game allows the player to do much more than the older ones, where the main big decisions out of battle were limited to who you want to use in X battle, and some special weapon use (both decisions are in 3H too).

I think that a game that uses the class system from 3H (expanded and improved), that has better or less non-combat sections and that has better map design should be the ideal FE game.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No more split routes. Give me one long, interesting story. TH pulled it off a lot better than Fates, but it still suffers a bit in regards to consistency and pacing because of it.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the monastery segments and hope they return in some form.

One thing I wish they would change is the overall game structure. The idea that you have to replay dozens of hours to see all the possible outcomes is a bit too much. I'd prefer a more streamlined story.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
More varied maps, they get repeated a lot.

Keep the teaching, that mechanic is addicting. Calender is all right too.

More places to explore and talk with characters besides the Monastery like in an army camp or a different town.

Give Byleth a personality please.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Oh yeah and revamp (or bring back an old version) the class system. It sucked SO much in 3H. Ugh

The class system is killing the map design since it can't be certain you will have a certain class at a certain point of the game. Too much flexibility can be a BAD thing.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Another character like Edelgard that people will still be arguing about 6+ months after the game is released.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The class system is killing the map design since it can't be certain you will have a certain class at a certain point of the game. Too much flexibility can be a BAD thing.

I think making the class promotion a bit more linear might already help. It just doesn't make sense that i can level up merc and then jump to mage for a few levels to unlock a Sage promotion for example.

At a certain point, classes should follow a logical promotion path, but i'd like to have split promotions like back in the older games Cavalier -> Great Knight or Paladin, for example.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it needs to knock off with the shit treatment of gay male romance options, and also just add more same sex romance options in general.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think making the class promotion a bit more linear might already help. It just doesn't make sense that i can level up merc and then jump to mage for a few levels to unlock a Sage promotion for example.
Well, I think that the requisites are balanced enough to prevent this, you can always save and try to unlock a promotion until you're succesfull but this is not an intended mechanic. If something, they shouldn't do more sex-locked classes, and if they are going to do Master classes, I'd appreciate more classes to have all times a good Master class promotion. If I have a male Mage, I should be able to choice between the Horse mage and a more powerful but fragile standard mage.

I know the Master classes in 3H are most of the times only an option and that the 4th promotions are enough to beat the game, but it feels quite bad as it is.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The biggest issue with the Monastery was there wasn't enough to do there. Flesh it out more with a lot more activites and now we have something.
Don't take it out though, and I suspect they won't given the games critical and commerical success

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be more fun if the main character had nothing special about them.

I also wish they would redevelop the combat systems and class system the way they redeveloped everything else.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Include an actual difficulty at launch so it's not baby's first rpg where your decisions don't matter and everything can be steamrolled.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ditch. The. Calendar.

It sucks in Persona and it sucks here.

Yes. The calendar doesn't improve the experience at all, it makes everything more stressful than it needs to be. I recruited literally everyone except Leonie because of the calendar screwing me over in the last two months before the skip.

Honestly, though, I'd just prefer all the dating sim elements go away. The support conversations were even worse than usual this time around because of the school setting.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Yes, I liked the social sim stuff and want to see it deepened/expanded in the next game with more things to do. It doesn't have to be a school, you could just walk around town with your units.

This.

I feel like it's getting tedious as I'm nearing the end, and find myself Auto-ing a lot of things with the school, but I don't dislike it. An army camp or a town where you can interact with your allies would be great in future titles, so they don't think they have to redo school. You can train and teach in other ways.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
There were moments in Three Houses where cut scenes felt noticeable absent.

I'd like to see something like the monastery improved, not done away with. Same with the social stuff in general.

A difficulty somewhere between hard and maddening.

A main character who isn't a robot.

Side missions that aren't so repetitive.

More complex, dynamic battles that aren't just waves of enemies.

Less repetitive conversations with characters repeating the same hangups over and over again.

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Something similar to the monastery segments in 3H would be cool but more fleshed out, with more activities.

I also really liked the dungeons in Echoes so I wouldn't mind if they tried something like that again.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No more split routes. Give me one long, interesting story. TH pulled it off a lot better than Fates, but it still suffers a bit in regards to consistency and pacing because of it.

Trouble is having multiple routes is great advertising. People were talking about which house they'd choose for months all over social media , including here. And getting people talking is how you sell more copies, so I imagine we will have multiple routes in some sense in every game going forward.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The monestary isn't a bad idea, but it was just way too much. If they took it out again I would not miss it though. Also the game needs to be not piss easy. They need to balance the difficulties properly.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Honestly there are a lot of directions they could go in that would make me happy. A direct Three Houses sequel/prequel, FE4 remake that fixes all of that game's issues wrt tedium, another game in the style of Fates/Awakening with a less animu story, or just a straight-up other traditional FE game in the vein of something like Blazing Sword or Path of Radiance.

Monastery I could take or leave. It works in the context of Three Houses but it didn't really affect my enjoyment much overall.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I think the support conversations in this were some of the best ever. Regarding the Monastery stuff, I'm more of a fan of the old-school style with going from map to map with each map offering different challenges and/or progressively increasing in challenge.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
i think a big part of what makes the monastery a bit of a bummer is that it's *just* the monastery - i get why they didn't have you running around other maps, it probably would have taken way more resources. but now that they have the engine and some assets, it would be cool if the next game had explorable cities or even an overworld.

i'm picturing something like the city/castle segments in shadows of valentia, but rendered in as much detail as the monastery and letting you run around and speak with everyone. maybe, for example, these segments could happen after a battle, so you can explore and see the aftermath of a city that your army has freed or investigate in a stronghold that your army just conquered. i think more variety in the exploration maps would go a long way toward making the exploration phases more engaging, as opposed to just feeling like you're checking off conversations with characters in the same location.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I want *MORE* monastery stuff to do. I want like 3 to 4 times the amount of activities, but less of the routine stuff. Get rid of lost items. Find better ways to let me motivate my students and not have such a tiny point allocation to start with. Once you get the hang of it, it just becomes a matter of stashing gifts and lost items, grabbing a meal with the right people, and jogging around for quests.

I would also love season changes within the monastery. If it's winter let's see some snow and students wearing appropriate clothing for that weather. Have it rain. Have it be swelteringly hot. Have students roaming about, if possible.

I loved exploring the monastery, but I feel like the experience within has an ocean of opportunity for improvement.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be more fun if the main character had nothing special about them.

Yeah this is another good one. It gets kind of tiring and uninteresting when the main character is just oh so special who everybody is instantly infatuated with. I love how Ike was just a nobody mercenary who just happened to be caught up in continent-spanning war and political turmoil just by chance, and the player is mostly learning things about the continent and lore the same time he is.