• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
What do I want out of a Live action avatar series? I would say that a stronger emphasis on the actual fights for starters. I know the dialogue and character interactions are a must too, but I'm going to pretend that this should go without saying (even though it still has to be brought up if we use Shmalaony's film as a jumping off point...)

But yeah, if there was one thing I always loved about the series besides the writing and comedy, it was the fighting sequences. Each one was so brilliantly done and unique and even Legend of Korra (for some of the fights anyway...) also knew the importance of having memorable fights and making the most of the benders on-screen. You got to see how creative each character can be with what tools they had at their disposal, and even Sokka with no bending abilities got to showcase how brilliant he was in fights too.

This was a big reason why I hated the film since (besides the acting) the actual fights felt like "I did the thing... are you impressed?" rather than "I'm going to move this mountain and drop it on your head!" The fights in the show felt like there was an impact whereas in the film you had... uhh...

p4lsyyz4pgv01.gif

You couldn't have had the rock be bigger? In the show, that probably would be what one bender could do with little effort. Not six grown men having to dance before casually moving the rock towards someone else who then fires if off as though it got fired from a cannon.

If you are going to adapt the show, then try and match the show in terms of what characters can do and not have them get KO'd so easily that you question why they were even there to begin with.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I want the show to not be stupid like the movie.

Cartoon: Earthbenders are imprisoned on a metal platform in the middle of the ocean, cutting them off from their element.
Movie: Earthbenders are imprisoned in a valley ...

Cartoon: Firebenders produce their own fire
Movie: Firebenders depend on a source of fire which would make it incredibly easy to cut them off but by extinguishing the fire pot.

Cartoon: The benders use martial arts and the elements move along with them, making it look like the elements are extensions of their bodies and are directly controlled.
Movie: Benders do a dance, when they are finished they hold a pose and a random unimpressive effect is added.

Cartoon: Establishes how names are pronounced
Movie: Fuck it

Cartoon: Nations based on Inuit, Tibet, China, Japan (and other asian influence)
Movie: Good guys white, bad guys brown

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
ugh, why did you remind of this?

i just want the show to be halfway decent so i can watch and hopefully enjoy it, i'm super easy to entertain the bar isn't set too high... i just have a bad feeling about this one. even worse about the live action Cowboy Bebop but that's for another thread

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i really hope the kung fu choreography at the very least is up to par.

i learnt a lot during inktober when I was trying to animate bending. The elements have to respond to the movement. It's not a magic spell where the motions and the flow of the body is unrelated to the elemental occurances. The movement is the magic and the magic is the movement. It's all one.

Here's what I made last year
J2nhZG1.gif

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

i learnt a lot during inktober when I was trying to animate bending. The elements have to respond to the movement. It's not a magic spell where the motions and the flow of the body is unrelated to the elemental occurances. The movement is the magic and the magic is the movement. It's all one.

J2nhZG1.gif
Yeah this. I can't take other fictions with elemental magic seriously anymore because they just turn the elements into a projectile of some sort. Even Korra was borderline doing this but thankfully the later seasons rectified it.

Great animation btw.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All I hope is that the creators have free creative/budgetary reign. I think most issues would be solved by that.

And even if it ends up sucking I can easily ignore its existence.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just make it how it was in Ember Island and everything will be fine.

I want to see Toph as a buff ass dude because that shit is hilarious. Extra points if they include the scene where she almost drowns, gets saved by Suki but thinks it's Sokka and kisses her on the cheek. Do all of that with the buff dude please.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I'm probably gonna get hate for this opinion but I actually liked what the movie was trying to do by diversifying the nation's and making the fire nation South Asians. I want to see more of that.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
They are making a LA Avatar: TLA Netflix show? News to me, I must be really out of the loop LOL. Seems unnecessary?

Zellator

Sep 14, 2018

J2nhZG1.gif
Holy shit, man! These are awesome!

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
I just hope it's successful so that Netflix decides to buy the IP from Nick and then makes additional animated series. Specifically, older Aang and co and more Korra.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I want to know what they'll do with "The Great Divide" just ignore it or remake it or something; I find it hilarious the show itself made fun of it later
I should really get back to reading Loopy's stuff.
Just looked this up, didn't know it was a thing, I'm curious. Never heard of Aang/Mai before, the idea of it makes me snicker

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope it's successful so that Netflix decides to buy the IP from Nick and then makes additional animated series. Specifically, older Aang and co and more Korra.
This has been partially covered in the comics, but it would definitely be cool to see animated.

If the live-action series is successful though, I'd expect Netflix to fund more live-action, not return to animation

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The comics have been great with team avatar and the world around them dealing with the after effects of the 100 years war and all the technological progress that happened and all that it entails.

Oct 30, 2017
I have 0 faith that I'll be anywhere near as good as the cartoon, but I don't want to say "for it to not be made" because that just seems cruel to say. Kinda dumb it's adapting the cartoon. I'd rather it follow another avatar.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
That might work with Katara and Sokka, but youth and naïveté are defining characteristics of Aangs personality. Aging him up will not work without readjusting his character.
Finding a twelve year old actor who can properly portray the wisdom and maturity of Aang will be a nigh impossible task. Not to mention if they plan on running this show for six years (cut each season in two), he'll be 18 by the time it finishes. Which would be weird considering the show only takes place over a single year. I think you can age him up to his late teens and still keep his youthful ignorance in tact.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have 0 faith that I'll be anywhere near as good as the cartoon, but I don't want to say "for it to not be made" because that just seems cruel to say. Kinda dumb it's adapting the cartoon. I'd rather it follow another avatar.

Same, dude.

I just finished rewatching the series and it's like, why would anyone do this? I can't safely believe that the effects will be good enough to do the show justice.

That being said though, the best part about the series was the writing between the characters, like Zuko and Iroh. Unless they do the exact same thing again, I'd rather them just leave it alone. I don't want to risk it looking melodramatic and cheesy, or just worse in general. It was already perfectly nuanced.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm probably gonna get hate for this opinion but I actually liked what the movie was trying to do by diversifying the nation's and making the fire nation South Asians. I want to see more of that.
Yeah, I disagree, the original characters didn't need diversifying. M. Night had to do that because he made every other main character white. (Let's not forget fucking Jesse McCartney was originally supposed to be Zuko, too). The Fire Nation is based heavily on China and Imperial Japan, it reaches through all of its imagery, it doesn't need to be made South Asian just for diversification's sake.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
People blame them for the clusterfuck that early Korra was.
Even though the majority of problems can be traced back to Nickelodeon mishandling them at almost every step of the way. If they were granted the same amount of freedom and control as ATLA then I think Korra would've turned out much better. But even then what we got was still good even if it didn't live up to the ridiculously high standards of the first series. Which leads me to hope that Netflix gives Bryke free reign to handle the show and that they get a really good budget.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
This is the first I've even heard of this. I don't really have a preference one way or the other. Liked the first series, Korra was so-so. Movie sucked. So I don't really have any high expectations. I'll give it a watch and judge it accordingly when it hits. Do they have a tentative release date?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
It doesn't matter if new adaptation will be good, bad or mediocre -- the fact they're doing to begin with means that they think first show didn't get enough attention due to it's "inferior" medium. That's just facts. It's literally the definition of selling out.

It would have been better if it was at least an original story with new characters -- but no -- they're (re)doing ATLA. That's the THIRD time the same story is being retold in about a decade.

I think that's an interesting opinion. I would be genuinely interested in knowing more about why you think the fact they're creating a live version of the show necessarily means they're thinking animation is an inferior medium. Is it related to something the creators said in the past that I might have missed?

Stories adaptations from one medium to another is something that we see very frequently. Artistically I find it super interesting, and is usually in no way a critique of the validity of a medium over another. Novels to movies, movies to theater plays, video games to movies, novels to graphical novels, etc... Granted it's not always a success, but really, why not do this kind of stuff? If the creators play to the strengths and limitations of each of the respective mediums, it can be interesting. I don't see why a specific story needs to stay limited to its original form.

I agree it might have been more interesting to have new stuff instead of the old story retold, but since Netflix was the only company willing to spend money to pick up The Last Airbender universe, let them have a shot at creating a live show out of it. And I think it's because the original animated show was very successful that they want to give this a shot. If it works and people likes it, it might even mean we'll get new stuff after the original story has been retold. And if it ends up being absolute trash, well the original animated show will not suddenly disappear. Especially with its excellent recent blu-ray release.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind Season 1 being a bit redone, it's by far the worst compared Season 2 and 3.

Some episodes like The Great Divide are horrendous filler and need to go.