• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hammerfell or High Rock?

• Hammerfell

Votes: 96 14.4%
  • High Rock

Votes: 55 8.3%
  • Immense scope: BOTH

Votes: 205 30.8%
  • STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! YOUR THREAD-MAKING PRIVILEGES ARE NOW FORFEIT.

Votes: 310 46.5%

• Total voters

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Make the magic better than in Skyrim, at least make it Oblivion level. Having to equip magic in your hands was terrible and it was also pretty underpowered outside of stunlocking and illusion.

I expect a significant improvement in gameplay again, similar to the improvement from Morrowind - Oblivion, and Oblivion - Skyrim. Oblivion went to real time combat and removed dice rolls, made magic better by being able to cast it with a shoulder button press. Skyrim made the combat animations better and weightier, though the magic went back to MW level for some reason. I expect better animations/sword swinging combat again, and them to rectify their mistake of removing Oblivion style magic system.
I expect the third person animations will also be better, naturally. Skyrim was a huge improvement over Oblivion.

I like the Hammerfell ecosystems so that could be cool, and swordsinging sounds cool. I really want the moving trees though.

I hope they have a meatier rpg system. Keep the perks honestly, but make them more drastic. Make forking paths that completely change the feel of combat. Make choosing sword specialization give me new swinging animations and shit to visualize my skill level.
Attributes! because I like it. I want to run like the wind because my speed stat is maxed.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Aside from the obvious "improved writing", in full honesty (and I guess a lot of people are going to disagree with me) I think they should drop the third-person and instead make the first person super robust. Just borrow some pages from the Dishonored textbook. They can also borrow some devs from Arkhan like how they brought Id devs to aid with Fallout 4's gunplay.
Honestly I don't think you're all that off. Maybe have the third person viewpoint, but the moment you draw your weapon, you go into first person.
Make the magic better than in Skyrim, at least make it Oblivion level. Having to equip magic in your hands was terrible and it was also pretty underpowered outside of stunlocking and illusion.
THIS THIS THIS

There's so much menu fiddling required in Skyrim, I'm honestly wondering if I missed something about the controls.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I wrote down this idea on r/elderscrolls speculation/ideas thread a while back and it's been on my head for a long, long time, so I'll just post it here too:

Something I have always fantasized about in The Elder Scrolls is a bestiary that you can update along the course of the game, and have it be dynamic. It goes like this. Say you find a vampire, and as usual you attack it and kill it. Your character makes an entry about the vampire; just a simple sketch drawing and a brief description. Next time you see a vampire you happen to attack it with a silver sword, and your character notices and documents that silver weapons are more effective against vampires. This suggests a system that certain enemies are stronger / weaker to certain damage types -- something that has been present on all ES games, anyway. Just contextualize it into this wider game system.

You can even have it be a little unique side quest. After you are 100% done with all the critters and beasts of Hammerfell (or whatever the location of the game is), you can hire an artist to do actual paintings and illustrations for your bestiary. Then you go to a library and have it published. How awesome would it be to find your book in general merchant stores after a while? And even in bandit corpses if they add it to the leveled lists.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I wrote down this idea on r/elderscrolls speculation/ideas thread a while back and it's been on my head for a long, long time, so I'll just post it here too:

Something I have always fantasized about in The Elder Scrolls is a bestiary that you can update along the course of the game, and have it be dynamic. It goes like this. Say you find a vampire, and as usual you attack it and kill it. Your character makes an entry about the vampire; just a simple sketch drawing and a brief description. Next time you see a vampire you happen to attack it with a silver sword, and your character notices and documents that silver weapons are more effective against vampires. This suggests a system that certain enemies are stronger / weaker to certain damage types -- something that has been present on all ES games, anyway. Just contextualize it into this wider game system.

You can even have it be a little unique side quest. After you are 100% done with all the critters and beasts of Hammerfell (or whatever the location of the game is), you can hire an artist to do actual paintings and illustrations for your bestiary. Then you go to a library and have it published. How awesome would it be to find your book in general merchant stores after a while? And even in bandit corpses if they add it to the leveled lists.
Oh this is great.

I also want a hunting guild (maybe not a full-fledged big guild, but whatever) that eventually has you tracking down unique mighty specimens with names and lore attached. Like remember that one gigantic slaughterfish in a thieves' guild quest in Oblivion? that sorta thing.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Oh this is great.

I also want a hunting guild (maybe not a full-fledged big guild, but whatever) that eventually has you tracking down unique mighty specimens with names and lore attached. Like remember that one gigantic slaughterfish in a thieves' guild quest in Oblivion? that sorta thing.
I would love a hunter's guild. Something like an archaeology guild would also be cool -- tracking down fossils of ancient creatures that we only hear about in the lore (like flying whales) or even fossil remnants of the Daedra that raided Tamriel during the Oblivion crisis. TES games have a lot of exciting potential. :)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like the games to feel like time has passed and also respect your character's position. I want the world to react more after you've attained such high ranks. Maybe have some endgame stuff where you actually participate in the politics of the region, wield power, and things of that nature. LIke by the end of a lot of them you're a walking deity with multiple ancient relics of untold power and who has stood up to gods. The world should react to that in a way that doesn't feel hollow.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Oh this is great.

That's a fantastic idea

One of the best parts of FF12 was the hunts. It could be an off-shoot of the fighters guild but probably better as it's own guild. Sorta like the arena in Oblivion, but this is Hammerfells main entertainment, like a provincial monster hunting competition.
The people who give you contracts are high up politicians or whatever, and you can gain influence with certain people in that way. Maybe some ask you to hunt for alchemical ingredients (livers, excretions, etc) so you would favour them for certain characters (for unique ingredients), and some would want you to hunt beasts for materials (scales, etc) for blacksmithing and such. Lots of potential.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I would love a hunter's guild. Something like an archaeology guild would also be cool -- tracking down fossils of ancient creatures that we only hear about in the lore (like flying whales) or even fossil remnants of the Daedra that raided Tamriel during the Oblivion crisis. TES games have a lot of exciting potential. :)
So it would be like tracking down those giant whale-thing skeletons in breath of the wild?

I could see these being fun, but I think they would have to lack the waypoints to be engaging to track down. I'd like more quests and tasks designed around hints, honestly.

Oct 17, 2018
Better combat.

Enemies that don't scale with your level but are rather a set level so you can potentially wander upon a spooky ass level 40 or whatever when you're level 1, or vice versa you can find level 1s while you're level 40.

Loot that isn't locked to your level so you could potentially find a daedric weapon really early if you're extraordinarily lucky since atm it's shit and locks loot to be around your level so you just find iron and steel shit everywhere early on with no chance of finding the good shit. Also make it so the Master locked chests actually contain good loot please instead of spending 20 minutes opening one only to find 3 gold coins and a fork.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
-Better combat with better animations, give weapons impact and have enemy reactions for gods sake
-VR support day one

This is my small list, and neither will happen :p

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That's a fantastic idea

One of the best parts of FF12 was the hunts. It could be an off-shoot of the fighters guild but probably better as it's own guild. Sorta like the arena in Oblivion, but this is Hammerfells main entertainment, like a provincial monster hunting competition.
The people who give you contracts are high up politicians or whatever, and you can gain influence with certain people in that way. Maybe some ask you to hunt for alchemical ingredients (livers, excretions, etc) so you would favour them for certain characters (for unique ingredients), and some would want you to hunt beasts for materials (scales, etc) for blacksmithing and such. Lots of potential.
Like most of my list, I lifted it from FudgeMuppet ( the concurrent playthrough idea is all mine though, unless I missed it in like ten "5 things we want in Skyrim" vids they made. The last couple observations on open world design are from my LTTP playthrough of Skyrim). If half the shit they want got implemented in TES 6, it would be an amazing game indeed... even if they kept all the Gamebryo jank.

Last edited:

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
IMO, Starfield will tell us if ES6 has any potential. To be quite honest, 2019 was so bad for Bethesda that I've lost all respect for the studio. Part of me thinks they've developed Fallout 76 and ES: Arena to tide them over until their big projects, but these games suck so much ass that I can't help but think they've lost it.

That said, ES6 needs to be amazing. I think the #1 priority is to make sure the combat feels great. Skyrim's melee combat is so bad it hurts. At the same time, I don't want Bethesda to mimic Kingdom Come, Elder Scrolls is a lot more accessible. Still, there's gotta be a way to make combat not feel so poor.

I also want better quests. Skyrim's got a lot of shitty ones. Give me choices and consequences.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a sucker for survival modes. Like the Frostfall Mod for Sjyrim, so I would love to see a desert where you can die of thirst and heat.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
If they're gonna stick to the old engine, then I want increased scope, if it's gonna be something brand new, not another iteration, I'll gladly settle for one region, doesn't matter which one.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A living breathing encomy for each settlement with trade

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm a sucker for survival modes. Like the Frostfall Mod for Sjyrim, so I would love to see a desert where you can die of thirst and heat.
I wouldn't mind minor survival elements like in Zelda.

It would be cool if you could stay cool on the desert by staying in the shadow like in the Gerudo Waste or if ice-enchanted items or frost spells could cool you.

The same with fire in the cold regions (which do exist in Hammerfell afaik)

Oct 30, 2017
Probably not a popular opinion, but I would like to see them triple down on Radiant AI/Story and indulge in systemic gameplay. If it becomes a focal point, it could really be an amazing component of all of the other simulation aspects of TES.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Honestly? A different developer

Pretty much this. I want a new engine that doesn't suck, combat that doesn't suck, better location and enemy variety, better voice acting, better writing, better animations, better balancing, towns that consist of more than 5-10 houses, quest design that doesn't require you to follow a quest/map marker, and better RPG mechanics. Basically just scrap everything but the atmosphere and scope/scale of the world.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I honestly would like to see them either revisit a region a different game already used or use multiple regions, with some being new and some being old. I don't think restricting them to only use a different region for each game has a lot of value. At least not to me.

I want them to finally squash some of the old classic issues with the engine and actually takes some huge steps forward instead of slightly iterating on the old gameplay concepts and giving us things we didn't really ask for or want.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't really care about the jank, but it would be nice to have more interesting quests. The world building and exploration was already awesome in Skyrim, but most of the questlines were unfulfilling.

For the story, I would actually prefer a warring states-style progression without a main "savior of the world" quest. A bunch of factions that you can choose to align with, which also dictate where you start out in the world, and basically expand on the stormcloak/imperial dynamic but where you are more of a cog in the conquest machine and not a central figure. I guess I would love to see some full-scale battles in TES. Probably not possible even next-gen but would still be sweet.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Set it in one of the beast regions (Black Marsh or Elsweyr) instead of being cowards (i.e. setting it somewhere lame like High Rock or Valenwood)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
some kind of automatized queuing/consumption of healing items. i'm not a stickler for "immersion" but opening a menu and downing 10 potions and a cheese wheel in heat of battle can really take you out of it

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Mainly what I want is meaningful exploration. I want to find cool shit because I found it not because I hit a certain level.

Aside from that I don't really care as the world and lore are sufficiently immersive. I think this was the biggest issue with fallout 4.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care what the setting is, it just needs two things:
1. Mod support
2. Don't be broken garbage like Fallout 76.

Hopes are low.

Oct 26, 2017
They really need to blow me away with AI systems and generally focus on systemic gameplay.

I really have low expectations though.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
More builds, flexible schools of magic, more weapon types, mire powerful misc skills(barter, speech, pickpocket, etc.)

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is considered hot take, but more NPC in the world, even if they are just background, non-interactable ones just to make the world feels more alive.

In Oblivion there was this hilarious moment where Sean Bean gives awe-inspiring speech before going to war that was supposed to be a big deal in the history of Tamriel.....to a 10 or so City Guards lmao.

If they want to keep the number of NPC limited only to important, interactable one, then don't bother with stuff like this. Keep it on a smaller scale like Morrowind and save the "big" events on the background.
---------------

I liked oblivion way more than skyrim. Make it closer to oblivion.

I played Oblivion last year and I personally think it was a good middle ground between Morrowind and Skyrim. Not as "inaccessible" as Morrowind, but also not as dumbed down as Skyrim.

Awesome questlines too, easily the best out of the three I played.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Find a way to make combat encounters engaging.

Broader enemy design that makes encounters feel unique. Enemies with clear strengths and weaknesses, enemies that aren't just humanoid most of the time.

No level scaling.

This is just top of my list because things like exploration are already great, with combat being the one glaring weakness.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going through Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood right now and it doesn't hold a candle to Oblivion's.

It's kinda funny because I expected Oblivion to be really forgettable entry, because when people talk about ES, Oblivion rarely came into discussion (outside the meme material), it's either Skyrim or Morrowind lol.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
-Better combat with better animations, give weapons impact and have enemy reactions for gods sake
-VR support day one

This is my small list, and neither will happen :p

Those are top of my list, and both will happen! Bethesda has always dealt in prioritizing immersion, and they've released both Skyrim and FO4 in VR. I would bet money that they'll have some sort of VR support, possibly even ground up. Todd Howard also specifically said they're working on animations in an interview (I think it was a geoff keighley interview). All I know is it HAS to be better than Skyrim. It's been about a decade.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Those are top of my list, and both will happen! Bethesda has always dealt in prioritizing immersion, and they've released both Skyrim and FO4 in VR. I would bet money that they'll have some sort of VR support, possibly even ground up. Todd Howard also specifically said they're working on animations in an interview (I think it was a geoff keighley interview). All I know is it HAS to be better than Skyrim. It's been about a decade.
But if it launches with VR how will they sell me a new version a few years later haha

stn

Oct 28, 2017
More like Morrowind in terms of quests, hand-holding, loot, and other things.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Skills and evolution thereof to be based on mechanically interesting applications, not just high numbers.

Absolutely no "you must have level X in [whatever] to pass this numerical skill check" stuff. That's some real nonsense.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I only really want two major things from TES VI.

1. A relatively warm and welcoming atmosphere like the one found in Oblivion.

2. A main story that doesn't feel restrictive like it does in Skyrim & Fallout 4. I don't want to be forced into a role like the Dragonborn. I want to feel like I'm truly free to be a thief, mage, etc. without feeling like I need to actively ignore the main story. I don't want a missing child to chase after. I want the opening of the game to be as open-ended as possible to allow for more role playing opportunities. The strength of Bethesda games is in the freedom to be whatever kind of character you want to be... for some reason they seem to actively want to discourage that feeling of freedom with their theme park storylines and it sucks.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I know they'll never do it because then they couldn't milk it for 20 more games, but I'd love to finally be a Dwemer/see Dwemer society before everything went to shit, the snow elves and more stuff around that whole dispute and the races themselves.

In terms of gameplay I think they moved in the right direction from Skyrim to Fallout 4 with its "named companions" having more personality and more reactive lines, but there are modded characters like Inigo who are still miles ahead of anything Bethesda has produced in terms of companions and almost beats out Mass Effect at times.

What I really want is more branches in quest design, because Skyrim was already moving in the right direction in that regard, more factions and better faction quest lines.

I'd love more in depth romance/character motivated development of the plots and sidequests. I don't need a voiced protag but I'd love to be able to better define my character and that definition of the character determine say where I spawn in the world and such.

in terms of mechanics, it's hard to separate what I like about Skyrim that's from a mod and what's actually just in the game. I think scale is good, more dungeons, more combat encounters that don't favor the sneak and shoot methods due to it being the easiest way to handle it. Customization should be far better than it was but I highly doubt it will be.

But yeah more quest variety and player control would be nice, even if it came at the cost of some freedom in certain sections.