• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hammerfell or High Rock?

• Hammerfell

Votes: 96 14.4%
  • High Rock

Votes: 55 8.3%
  • Immense scope: BOTH

Votes: 205 30.8%
  • STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! YOUR THREAD-MAKING PRIVILEGES ARE NOW FORFEIT.

Votes: 310 46.5%

• Total voters

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
ES 6 needs to be a much more ambitious game that tries to push the boundaries of what we've come to expect from Bethesda and open world games in general
They definitely seem to be ambitious, the way they talk about Starfield and TES 6 is kind of strange honestly. I'm expecting procedural generation to be core to Starfield and TES 6 as well, it sounds like they're heading in that sort of direction anyway. Hopefully it's well executed and this stigma around proc gen can die down.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A space where you can see yourself living in, not the usual "you stole a fork and now the person living there wants you dead" stuff

Also, combat that isnt fucking awful would be great.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Elsweyr setting.
Actually good writing.
Spellmaking to come back.
Interacting guild storylines, like in Morrowind.
No Jeremy Soule music, as he's apparently a rapist now.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in any of the poll choices, but as a person that is still playing and messing around with Skyrim, I hope they make the controls and combat better. I installed the Nemesis Ultimate Behavior Engine replacing FNIS, and a lot of good mods to go with it like, "Character Behavior Enhanced" and the gameplay is getting ever so slightly closer in feel to Demon's Souls. They really need to work on the controls and combat. That changes everything.

This game is so old, not my video btw.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I want Bethesda to not ruin the game trying to implement some half assed monetization scheme that further alienates it's fanbase.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I kind of want Max Richter to do the soundtrack. Though he might be better for a sci-fi open world game than a fantasy one.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like Elder Scrolls (More of a Fallout guy), but I can think of a lot of ways it could be improved.

• New Engine: Let's face it, the old engine is crap. Virtually every other major company is using technology that let's them make open-worlds of greater scale, visual density and complex systems. Tech that makes accommodations for intricate motion capture, navigable vertical environments and a multitude of custom set-pieces inside a massive play space is already fairly standard. By the time EDS6 actually releases, that expectation will shift closer to "this is a bare minimum" for a franchise of this pedigree.

• Return to Complex RPG Systems: Branching dialog. Character builds that are a commitment to certain play-styles with clear strengths and weaknesses. Multiple means of progressing your character beyond grinding, so that hitting the soft cap doesn't feel like such a drag.

• Embrace the M rating: We don't necessarily need limbs flying, but part of the issue with Elder Scrolls combat has always been that visual feedback for attacking enemies isn't relative to the actions being taken. Swords should puncture and wound. Fire magic should senselessly torch things and immolate flesh. Also, the typically stiff and corny NPCs could stand to color their vocabulary with some swear words and slang.

• Iterate on Fallout 4's Emergent Gameplay: When you play a Bethesda game, you want to explore and come upon unique locales brimming with visual storytelling. Fallout 4 is not a perfect game, but it does justice to those quintessentially Bethesda moments. I still remember how awesome it was to find a bell tower in the dead woods, climb the spiral staircase and summon an alpha Deathclaw. There was no quest marker guiding me there, I didn't have to fight through a 5-floor labyrinth of bad guys to open a chest, I just wandered and found adventure. When I think of what an EDS6 needs to do, I imagine all the fantasy tropes coming alive. I want to wander into a graveyard and have zombies scramble from the earth and attack me in hordes. I want bandits to capture me on the side of the road and throw me into an gladitorial arena to fend for my life. I want to stumble upon a mythic creature sleeping atop a pile of jewels in a cave on the side of a mountain. More localized and personalize events like this break up the monotony of typical dungeon crawling.

• Make Martial Arts/Unarmed viable: Okay, I just want this. RPGs are about expressing yourself. I like to do that with my fists. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to do a Kung-Fu build. I should be able to sneek up on folks and snap their necks if my unarmed is high enough. If I go to a martial arts master, I should be able to pay him a sack of gold to make organs explode by hitting pressure points (as a finisher, in the same way sometimes you can randomly decapitate in Skyrim). And if nothing else, going into a blood rage as an Orc should allow me to cup my hands together and smash skulls for a power attack. I should feel like punching/kicking is weighty and fun.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Any setting is fine with me, just make it look great, play fine (I actually like Skyrim gameplay, but I'm not saying it couldn't be a lot better), and have an enjoyable world to explore.

I loved the dungeons in Skyrim that each had something unique about them, it made exploring the world even more enjoyable.
If they can expand upon that maybe to the level of the Witcher 3 where each side quest or dungeon feels meaty and consequential then I'd be in heaven.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Would be 100% fine with a map as big as Skyrim's, or even smaller, just WAY more polished.
And more unique surroundings and stuff. In Skyrim I got pretty sick of eploring basically the same cave over and over again.

Other than that:
  • Fewer bugs
  • Better combat
  • Better writing
  • Climbing
That said, I loved my playthroughs of Skyrim, so I don't want to act like they didn't get anything right, by any stretch of the imagination. Just that there's still a lot to gain.

edit:
Any setting is fine with me, just make it look great, play fine (I actually like Skyrim gameplay, but I'm not saying it couldn't be a lot better), and have an enjoyable world to explore.

I loved the dungeons in Skyrim that each had something unique about them, it made exploring the world even more enjoyable.
If they can expand upon that maybe to the level of the Witcher 3 where each side quest or dungeon feels meaty and consequential then I'd be in heaven.
Also definitely agree with you about the side quests.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
A return to form. Fallout 4 was a misstep, but otherwise every game this team has created has been ambitious as fuck and set new gold standards for the industry.

I still believe Fallout 4's settlement system shows that ambition though, even if it wasn't for everyone. It's a whole new gameplay pillar, and it's okay not to like it. Same way some people like stealth in these games, some love being a mage, others love focusing on melee. Even the main story can be ignored. They're all amazing pillars. And the settlement system is a great non-combat addition (that needs a lot of changes, sure, but as a foundation it's amazing).

I also appreciate that they tried to tackle one of their recurring criticisms in FO4 - that factions are too independent from one another; faction choices don't affect much; and you can be master of all factions at once. FO4 nailed all those complaints, but sadly its main story was god awful so it was mostly moot =P

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More than anything, TES VI needs to have rock-climbing and gliding just like Breath of the Wild has. Make both of these actions skills that you improve over time. The game needs that because it would influence the level design of the game in that the world would be much more varied and have more verticality.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I want a mainline game to be set on the Summerset Isles. They are imo the most beautiful and magical region the Elder Scrolls have to offer. Unfortunately they just recently used them in the online game, so I doubt they will be featured in any of the mainline games anytime soon.
Other than that I hope for a more varied environment than Skyrim wherever the next game it is set; I hope they will significantly improve the character models and animations (I was recently playing Skyrim and they are atrociously bad); and I hope the story and writing will significantly improve, because both Oblivion's and Skyrim's story and writing of the main quest was so unexciting to me that I rather burned myself out with all the side quests and side activities. I never completely finished either Oblivion's or Skyrim's main story.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I want to go back to Cyrodil and kick those Elves out. Then I want to take the fight to the Summerset Isles.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they expand upon the companion design they've created for Fallout 4. Bethesda finally writes companions with a personality that lasts longer than 5 seconds and it was enjoyable to have someone who wasn't just a combat pack mule.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Aside from the obvious "improved writing", in full honesty (and I guess a lot of people are going to disagree with me) I think they should drop the third-person and instead make the first person super robust. Just borrow some pages from the Dishonored textbook. They can also borrow some devs from Arkhan like how they brought Id devs to aid with Fallout 4's gunplay.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Fallout 4's settlement building. Please include it in the next Elder Scrolls game to some capacity. Perhaps not in excess as Fallout 4 did it, though. But like, my personal plot of land to build on? Like, lad, give it to me. Lemme build. Keep it, Bethesda.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hammerfell. Sword Singers. Great deserts and coastal tropics. Fuck yeah.

Bring back the full range of stats.

Work on the combat. Weapon fighting should feel grounded and weighty.

Make 3rd person more viable, please.

More magic utility outside of combat ala Morrowind.

No level scaling. Dangerous, legendary places should feel that way. Make me earn it. Safer places should likewise not become epic.

Choices that matter. I don't want to be able to be in every guild and faction. Give me a story where my choices shape it and close off other possibilities forever. On that note...

Daedra factions!!

Better engine would be nice, but yeah...

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
  • Spell crafting (Bring it back pleeeease!)
  • Romance (Same-sex is a must)
  • Voiced MC
  • Better and longer storylines for Mages Guild, Dark Brotherhood (I want them to be loooooong)
  • Job Professions that give you notoriety (would love for my character to be known across the land as a skilled herbalist)
  • Make unarmed combat flashy as hell (this is a leap, I know XD)

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when they said NPC had a job, had a routine, that it would feel alive?

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Interesting combat. Enemies shouldn't be damage sponges.

Better storytelling. Use cutscenes, action camera angles, etc wisely.

Better character development of core characters.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Great storytelling.
Great lore.
Great quests.
Great factions.

Basically the opposite of Skyrim.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
1) Better combat
2) More quest solution options based on character build.
3) co-op -not mmo. But ability to explore with a friend.
4) lots of exploration (my favourite bit of es games)

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
The usual Bethesda jank please. Nothing game breaking, just the hilarious quirks / bugs.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I'd be fine with whatever setting they chose, and basically whatever combat/levelling mechanics. What I want is an actual story, with actual characters and dialogues this time. The joke they have in place of these very important parts of an RPG in all their latest games won't cut it anymore. In order to achieve this, they probably would have to replace their whole writing team (well, maybe apart from some of the people responsible for the lore; the lore is quite good) with new talents. I mean, after Morrowind all these aspects went steadily downhill in all their subsequent games. Already in Skyrim I'd say that dialogue, characters and story (both the main story and the side-stories) are not that much above atrocious levels, and Fallout 4 is a complete joke with its four dialogue "options" (I can't even call Fallout 4 an RPG in my right mind).

Sadly, my gut tells me that they will go even further downhill in the future instead of improving, so I don't really have any hopes for TESVI.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
To add-on to questing, I'd like to see an option to add Morrowind-style questing where you have to read your quest log to progress through your quest rather than rely on your compass pointer. The casuals can have the option to keep their compass pointers if they insist

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
• option 5: Valenwood

Seriously though, I hope it's a lot like Skyrim. No online stuff, no over complicated combat, huge interesting world with lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
All I want is tighter combat and gamefeel. All of Bethesda's games have the same floaty, unsatisfying combat and movement.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The most important thing is they need to find a way to make exploration / dungeon crawling rewarding. Skyrim went really boring after a while due to the rewards being completely useless. I'd also like to see them add some major dungeons / areas unaccessible until the endgame. Give us something to look out to.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I want skills instead of perks, and a certain degree of RNG back, I want to be able to kill any NPC and severe the thread of prophecy, I want to be given actual directions to get to a place without having to rely on a waypoint.
Basically I want Morrowind with modern graphics (When I say Morrowind I mean its game design, not the location).

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I want radiant quests gone. Nothing makes the game feel more artificial than endless generic quest loops. They were all over the frigging place in Fallout 4.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I'd like to see a Vampire faction. Volkihar from the dlc was pretty cool.

I want radiant quests gone. Nothing makes the game feel more artificial than endless generic quest loops. They were all over the frigging place in Fallout 4.

I agree with the sentiment that radiant quests were terrible in Fallout 4, but I wouldn't want them entirely gone. I just want them out of any sort of spotlight. Picking radiant quests from a notice board is a fun, repetitive activity that sort of gives something to do between quests.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I want their writers to look at what Interesting NPC's did and learn something about interesting characterization.

Interesting NPC's makes skyrim so much more of a better playthrough.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
-Better writing
-Better animation
-Better combat mechanics

All of these I'm pretty much done with in Bethesda games. If they don't evolve all 3, I don't think I'll continue playing their titles.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
TES is easily in my top 5 favourite game series out there for many reasons. I would love to see improvements to the combat though I think one of the reasons it's a challenge is because they allow you to play in both first and third person and though I could be wrong I feel like they would have create two systems to work well in both perspectives.

I would love to see a little more depth return with things like proper stat management and a greater amount of magic abilities (I hated that they got rid of the lock picking spells from alteration).

I would also like to have player choices matter a bit more, I've never liked that I can become the mage guild master without knowing any real magic as an example. Other than that I really just want more Elder Scrolls, I preferred the more vibrant environments of Oblivion than I did the snow covered Skyrim so a game set in the Summerset Isles, Elswyer or Highrock would be my preferred choices.

One way or another I'll be excited for it once it's within a realistic release window, I'll probably avoid most resetera threads about the game though.