• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hammerfell or High Rock?

• Hammerfell

Votes: 96 14.4%
  • High Rock

Votes: 55 8.3%
  • Immense scope: BOTH

Votes: 205 30.8%
  • STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! YOUR THREAD-MAKING PRIVILEGES ARE NOW FORFEIT.

Votes: 310 46.5%

• Total voters

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The Elder Scrolls is an interesting franchise. It's potential as an immersive role-playing fantasy game is absolutely immense. The newer games, while approachable, have paired certain aspects back and yet, there is something special to these games that sets them apart, even despite their apparent flaws and some jankiness. It is regrettable that the task of realizing the potential is often left to the modding community, but still there's something special about these games goddamnit.

So in this thread, let us write out our hopes and dreams for The Elder Scrolls VI.

So yeah, first of all. the setting. The fans have narrowed down the probable location to Hammerfell, High Rock or both. Out of these two, I would definitely prefer Hammerfell. High Rock is pretty much the Game of Thrones Westeros region (albeit with more French and Celtic influences, rather than British, although they'd totally be voiced with British accents so it's moot) with knights and multiple petty kingdoms and families squabbling and plotting for dominance, so I guess that would be very marketable, but it's also more traditional fantasy and I'd like something more exotic. Hammerfell is no Morrowind or Black Marsh in terms of weirdness, but it is more exotic than High Rock and the last couple of regions. It is basically a fusion of Middle East and (mostly) North Africa and is predominantly populated by fantasy black people. There's also kind of an order who are basically fantasy Jedi complete with magic lightsabers they conjure up with their minds. I assume that last part would feature heavily in marketing. It is an arid region with deserts, but there are more biomes than just deserts, there's also lowlands matching that of the trailer, coastal regions that could have some Pirates of the Caribbean shit going, cold mountains areas and etcetera. They could easily make it more varied than Skyrim in terms of Biomes. So I think Hammerfell would be a bit more fresh and very cool Plus you could track down Nazeem's relatives and kill every single one of them. Who's in the Cloud District now, bitch?

Alright, now for actual desires:

• Emphasize role-playing. This is the single greatest asset of this franchise and they should stop deemphasizing that in favor of surface level thrills. Make your race choice matter, make your choices matter, make your skills and builds matter. Maybe the Mage's guild won't actually recruit some dumb brute who can barely cast a spell and you need meet certain stat requirements before you join? Maybe there are some factions that would be closed to you based on your race choice or at least require you to do extra shit in order to let you join. Maybe some minor quests would only be available to certain races? To further steal this idea from YouTuber FudgeMuppet, imagine an Argonian NPC which would only trust a fellow Argonian with certain information, starting a quest.
  • In fact, let's have a crazy awesome thing and enable us to have multiple playthroughs going on at once with multiple characters. Maybe you'd be able to share your XP/ Levels between playthroughs? Maybe even do something radical and enable the player to switch between characters like in GTA 5. It's so goddamn jarring to be an honorable warrior one day and then go killing innocents as some Dark Brotherhood asshole the next, as it is to be THE GRANDMASTER AND SUPREME LEADER OF LITERALLY EVERYTHING by the end of the day. Maybe even integrate that one mod that allows to pick an origin. Let your first character be the Dragonborn type with all the scripted tutorials and the subsequent characters can be anyone from a diverse set of options.
  • Have quest-lines with multiple solutions and branching paths. Some options that may only open to you if you have hit certain levels in certain skills. And I don't mean just dialogue.
  • Speaking of branching quests. There should either be more guild options or certain guilds/factions should have serious branching. This further emhphasizes role-playing while enriching the game for even those who don't care. Like say, there's a mages guild and their opposing faction is a bunch of evil necromancers. Early on your faction captures either the leader of the enemy group or a high ranking officer. While conversing with them behind the bars or whatever magic shit they're locked in, they try turn you to the dark side and go all "necromancy is the pathway to many abilities some consider... unnatural". That would be the branching point and you can either defect to the evil guys or stay in your lane and someone else busts them out, continuing the story with you running with the good wizards. Both paths would give you pathways different magical powers and if my above idea is approved, you can do both in concurrent playthroughs. Someone may have a skill-set ideal for a certain faction, but have their character misaligned ideologically. Like what if I wanna be a "good" assassin like in AssCreed and not some Sithis-worshipping nutjob who lives someone's evil basement, what if I want to be an unscrupulous criminal and not some Robin Hood noble thief? Multiple quest-lines, branching quest-lines or even ones where you get to create and shape your own faction. All these would do the job.
  • Speaking of factions, have it be like New Vegas where depending on your actions you may improve or worsen your standing with those groups.
  • Bring back cut skills, spells and add some new ones. Bring back the attributes and birth stones in character creation.
  • Speaking of races, just integrate that Races of Skyrim mod.
  • Have exploration be facilitated via visual landmarks more than cursors popping up on the compass or on a pre-populated map. More "what's that over there?" less "what's that marker" over there.
  • Have a map that's a bit more spaced out than in Skyrim. Bits of empty space here and there are not necessarily a bad thing. Having caves, bandit hideouts and everything within ten steps of each other makes Skyrim feel more like a glorified theme park at times.
  • Quest writing and scenarios that are at least as interesting as in Oblivion. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty in my judgement of Skyrim, but so far it feel like a bit of a step down both in terms of what you normally have to do in terms of the flavor fluff around it. I don't think there's gonna be a quest as cool as that Whodunit.
  • I'll just post this FudgeMuppet video:

I want everything he said.
  • This is a bit difficult but make NPCs feel less like robots. They feel like broken robots at times. TES NPCs are all unique and have their own routines, possessions and often quest/story roles but the other side of the coin is well, this:

And no, Skyrim isn't THAT much better, just a lot less funny. Alternatively, double down on hyper-jank and make the best, most comedic game of all time.

These are some of the things I want. FudgeMuppet runs a series called Things We Want in Skyrim and I find their desires pretty agreeable. A lot of what I just posted is inspired by the channels ideas.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
A new engine and a better team of writers. Combat that doesn't feel like smacking a pillow against everything.

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hammerfell would be an excellent setting, a nice contrast to Skyrim.

Spell crafting would be great to see, maybe better smithing, all the Hearthfire stuff should be improved and in the base game.

A bunch of stuff really, but that's what comes to mind.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Things I want:
  • Combat improved
  • World more densely packed with things to do
  • Higher quality of quests
  • Massively improved NPC behaviour/interactions
  • Far more unique tilesets (dungeons in particular)
  • Puzzles to be more in-depth
  • Story to be good
What I expect:
  • None of this
  • Bugs

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like them to address a bunch of the major technical and polish shortcomings that have been present in all their games since Morrowind.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
No voiced protagonist
Actual dialogue
Decent quest design
Not to be actively worse than Skyrim in any other area than graphics

See what I'm getting at? You obliterated one franchise Bethesda.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
- New engine, but we all know they'll reuse the same one.
- Multiple regions, Hammerfell and High Rock.
- Better storyline, more complex missions and multiple choices
- Jeremy Soule' soundtrack, it's not TES without his music.
- Better animations.
- More focus on magic spells.
- Better combat system.
- More balanced game overall.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
- no Emil Pagliarulo as main writer
- better combat. Like, much better
- proper support above 60 fps, proper mouse options in the actual options menu

the rest, im good. I love TES.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be the massive leap forward that Fallout 4 wasn't. It can't be incremental improvements.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
They need to totally redo the magic system. Skyrim's magic system was absolute ass. Go back to the Morrowind system or the Oblivion system at the very least. Give me spells to levitate, unlock doors and chests, and do cool shit besides spam fire, lightning, or ice. Bring back spellmaking as well.

Also keep the Fallout 4 companion system, that was one of the few improvements to the Bethesda formula that they made and I'd like to see it in ES. It's obviously nowhere near as good as Bioware or Obsidian companions but it's a start and is far better than the previous model.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I want really improved is the combat(magic needs an overhual) and better weather variety. Oh and fewer stats to keep track of, being a mage required me to have way too many magic stats to keep track of to be great at using it.

I was pretty good with everything else in Skyrim.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I want it to be more like morrowind and less like skyrim.

Not going to happen but we can dream right?

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
I think Hammerfell would be pretty great. They could do some really interesting stuff with a desert area.

Honestly, I'm past hating on Bethesda. They put out mediocre products, and their business practices are shady, but as long as they deliver something like Skyrim, I'm sure it will be a fun distraction for awhile. There is no other developer who has made anything on the scale of TES games with the same enjoyable gameplay loop. It's far from perfect, but it's fun while it lasts. As long as they don't diverge too far from the formula they've established in past TES games, it should be good.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hammerfell will be a great after Skyrim. But I'd prefer Summerset Isles or Elsweyr.

The image they should looks like High Rock/Daggerfall tho.

Oct 26, 2017
Major things i want:

- Actual side quests and FACTIONS with GOOD, G O O D STORYTELLING
- Chracter creation with fluid class system
- NO RANDOM FETCH QUESTS, less of this shit and more of well designed quests
- Improved combat system
- AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A THIRD PERSON, MAKE THIRD PERSON ANIMATIONS, IF NOT GO FIRST PERSON ONLY

Thanks.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
A mix of TES III, IV and V with memorable quests, more unique items and lots of stuff to discover. Also no auto levelled things, no radiant anything. Give players xp for actually completing quests and embrace complexity in an RPG. If I have to sit through a watered down Skyrim, I'll bite into my foot.

I'd also need an arena and an adoring fan for personal purposes.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to feel powerful as a mage, and i want more in depth role playing mechanics. I want a relationship and marriage system with actual dialogue, meaning, and choices

Oct 25, 2017
Hammerfell would be a wonderful juxtaposition to chilly Skyrim.

Bring in the craziest fucking lore. I want my character to achieve CHIM. We live inside a dream!

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'm down with Hammerfell. AC Origins completely shifted my perspective on desert locations, and I would definitely be intrigued to see Bethesda's take on a sandy open world. Not to mention, Curved. Swords.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Combat that doesn't feel like smacking against everything.
- proper support above 60 fps, proper mouse options in the actual options menu
I feel like combat, specifically melee is a bit of a conundrum and that they'd have to give up some staples to make substantial improvements.

Making good first person melee is tricky enough, but it has been done. People praise Dark Messiah, Condemned and a couple of other games. But the problem is the viewpoint toggle. Even if they make good FP melee, it can't be seamlessly translated to third person and it's not like it is remotely reasonable to expect them to make two combat systems. I guess Jedi Outcast which people praise a lot is sort of a melee TPS, but that is more agile and acrobatic than TES could reasonably be so I really don't know.

Still there's a number of small things they could do to make it more palatable, as mods have already done.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It needs to be the massive leap forward that Fallout 4 wasn't. It can't be incremental improvements.
It wasn't so much that Fallout 4 was incremental improvements, it's that they "improved" in all the wrong directions. They gutted all the RPG elements, mechanical and story wise and we were left with a poor man's single player Borderlands.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Just capture that feeling Oblivion had at launch, bring something really amazing looking with breathtaking places to explore (which is ironic cause Oblivion looks pretty crappy now). We'll see if it's possible again or not, think Oblivion launched at a unique time.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Less dependence on systems to carry the game and more on well crafted content that uses those systems. Bethesda's RPGs have solid systems, but in recognising this it seems they've come to believe that the systems are what makes the game fun rather than the great content they built on top of them. The result has been a large number of samey quests that boil down to "go here and kill stuff", more and more since Oblivion with limited exceptions. If it means we get fewer quests then fine, hell even if it means a smaller world. Give me better crafted content using your systems, don't just give me the systems themselves.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
Bugs

I wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game without bugs haha

Seriously, I would love if they managed to capture the atmosphere and immersion of Oblivion, with better writing and more RPG elements.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would like dungeons to deviate from the typical design that was overdone in the likes of Skyrim and Fallout 4, in that they all have this template of dungeon > big boss at the end > big chest with loot > shortcut back to the beginning.

It just comes across as cheap means of fulfilling gratification for the player when almost every single dungeon in your game plays out like this. It's boring and predictable. Bethesda should focus on a less theme park esque design with their open worlds being riddled with a bunch of copy and paste dungeons that are only a few feet from each other that differ little from each other save for the occasional backstory told through a journal, scrap of paper or an overabundance of skeletons placed in a very particular manner. Fewer, more intricate dungeons that have much more effort put into them. Quality over quantity, such and such.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I would like dungeons to deviate from the typical design that was overdone in the likes of Skyrim and Fallout, in that they all have this template of dungeon > big boss at the end > big chest with loot > shortcut back to the beginning.

It just comes across as cheap means of fulfilling gratification for the player when almost every single dungeon in your game plays out like this. It's boring and predictable. Bethesda should focus on a less theme park esque design with their open worlds being riddled with a bunch of copy and paste dungeons that differ little from each other save for the occasional backstory told through a journal, scrap of paper or an overabundance of skeletons placed in a very particular manner. Fewer, more intricate dungeons that have much more effort put into them. Quality over quantity, such and such.

Agree with everything you just said.

Would also be cool if the discovery of said dungeons involved more than just running towards a marker. They don't have to full Morrowind but some signposting and hints to deduce your next step would elevate the game.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Make it an anthology game joined by a very lose metaplot rather than trying to bother with one of their stupid main quest lines. The small stories are where their skill set is at anyway. Rather than one guy being the warrior guild, thief guild, mage guild guy... make those different people you can inhabit living different lives.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Make it an anthology game joined by a very lose metaplot rather than trying to bother with one of their stupid main quest lines. The small stories are where their skill set is at anyway. Rather than one guy being the warrior guild, thief guild, mage guild guy... make those different people you can inhabit living different lives.
I think my second bulletpoint of a system with concurrent playthoughs could work well.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Better writing and quest design. Skyrim was a huge step down from Oblivion when it comes to that stuff and Oblivion was a big step down from Morrowind.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
For the game to have deeper gameplay and narrative systems.
Skyrim had me immersed for 20 hours (which is pretty good). But then you start to notice how shallow everything is. Width of an ocean, depth of a puddle.

I want to have consequences to the choices I make. Levelling, classes, narrative,... it should all matter. Make it feel like a real world.

And jesus fucking christ, work on that engine.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hammerfell for sure. Redguard culture is badass, so I want to see that explored more than what the Adventures game could provide. It also feels like they may be setting something up for Cyrus considering his voice actor was suspiciously absent in Skyrim in spite of appearing in Morrowind and Oblivion, on top of his saber and outfit being added to Skyrim late last year.

Outside setting, definitely what I want to see is a return of emphasis on roleplaying. Absolutely do not have a voiced protagonist with a predetermined background and history like Fallout 4 did, as well as more consequences for taking sides and being a "fantasy adventurer simulator," which was basically what the gameplay loop of Daggerfall was. Also of note, more variety in skills, character building, and more common large, sprawling dungeon without simple loops to and from the exit, with I guess the more modern equivalent being Blackreach. I also like the idea of concurrent character saves, since that's more or less how I played Skyrim: Making different characters to tackle different questlines, so having them all be able to technically exist in the same gameworld instead of just imagining it would be awesome.

Also, avoid leveled enemies and loot. It's cool to find something amazing early on, and I shouldn't have to worry about most human/mer/animal enemies by late-game and should be looking into tackling daedra and stuff for my challenges.

Oct 27, 2017
More redguard lore with the swordsingers and such. and please please please give me some cool ass robes and mage skills.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
For the combat not to feel like an arena shooter. People wading forward towards your face, them flailing, you flailing, running backwards healing, flailing, flailing. If the entire way you play Skyrim needs ripping up, then it need ripping up.

For the activities in the game not to feel like an absolute chore (examples: Fallout 4 settlements were a grind, Skyrim simply going through a single village talking to people is so wearying).

It needs to be snappier and lean more on the freedom that the game gives you and let you enjoy the world. You can actually make your own stories if given the canvass, hearing people prattle on with endless exposition to pad the game just isn't it nowadays.

Last edited: