• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019

MAFMDam.jpg

Physics.
Destructions.
Particles.

ZMH3bYP.jpg

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Focus on physics, animations, AI, Interactivity, storytelling that plays to the medium's strengths rather than detriment.

More of a VR push.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Games like RDR2 already have things like physics and particles that my 2080ti can't run at ultra and keep 60fps at 4K
They're really pushing the SSD and load time thing because the games themselves aren't going to be groundbreakingly different. It's not going to be like a PS1 -> PS2 leap in technology.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. 4k 60 fps when appropriate: im hopeful that 4k or resolutions close to it, at 60fps become more common next gen. I think consoles will be powerful enough to make it happen
  2. Dynamic open worlds: the open worlds of horizon zero dawn, and spiderman were nice to the eye, but they felt very static. I want the world of horizon 2 to feature robots that could attack a village at any time and cause real time enviromental destruction. I want spidermans random crimes to be even more random, with some taking place inside buildings that you could seamlessly enter at a moments notice. Like bank robberies or prison break outs. I want real time weather and day and night cycles that affect gameplay. On a windy day in spiderman you might be blown off course as you web swing, a lighting bolt in horizon 2 might strike one of the robots your fighting and give you just the edge you needed. Imagine fighting through a covenant camp in halo infinite when suddenly a stampede of wild life runs through the encampment, and essentially takes out the covenant for you.
  3. The advancement of procedural generation: the technology is already doing cool things for full planetary exploration in games like star citizen, no mans sky, and the upcoming flight simulator and beyond good and evil 2. Maybe the tech will get to a point where it knows how to realistically place cities and dot dungeons all over an entirely open planet. I envision a superman game on a realistically sized planet earth with all of dc's major cities placed in their appropriate locations, along with real world locations too.
  4. Real time destruction, is it now feasible to achieve what crackdown 3 initially promised?
  5. Every game properly utilized hdr: i want more games to take advantage of the amazing contrast and color range that comes standard on most tv's now.
  6. More applications of real world physics
  7. Banjo kazooie 3: fucking just do it microsoft i mean god damn. Look at all the money activision, sony, and nintendo made with crash, spyro, mario and ratchet this generation. Fuck i dont care if you need to put on switch to to make back the investment, just do it, please.
  8. Real time lighting when appropriate: like in horror games

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics-wise, I'd like to see effort put into rendering/post-process effects that would be too intense for current-gen to do in real time at a stable framerate. For example, Guilty Gear looks great, but there's a reason we're seeing that in a fighting game rather than an open-world RPG. My dream is to be able to get something that looks like that (not necessarily anime, but something heavily stylized to that degree) but in the open-world RPG.

In general I'd also like to see some of the processing power go towards things that aren't just shinier graphics, though, like AI and physics.

Sakashima

Mar 28, 2018
In terms of graphics, simple profiles to choose from would be nice (choice between an Image Quality profile and a Framerate profile for example). Oh, and native 4k is an inefficient use of computing power IMO (especially since I'm not gaming on a 4k screen anytime soon).

In terms of game design : getting to the part of the game you're interested in quicker (through very short loading times, but also menu shortcuts or even from the dashboard) ; deeper IA ; better use of controller specificities ; denser and evolving environments that you travel through faster ; tools to find other players who play the way you do, as opposed to random matchmaking (there's no reason to need external tools like discord to find gaming partners, or at the very least integrate those into the game).

In terms of genre, I still don't understand the dearth of action games in space, e.g. Starlancer.

And from the perspective of studios : less crunch, less time from annoucement to release, trailers more focused on gameplay, more AA. Also more varied settings please : there's more than one country on this planet...

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Bigger scale
Better lightning
Better physics
More dynamics in AI or the scripts of things to mimic them
Better framepacing

More of the same content wise or something new and decent.

OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019

Made sort of the same thread with a more focus on gameplay innovations due to new tech.

My hope is for a more interesting innovations with the new SSD's as a baseline then just 'moar faster loading please!'

Exactly, we need new things that make us go holy shit, how is this even possible? How did they do it? They must be fucking geniuses.

Things we haven't experienced before or dialed up to 100. Things that make us appreciate what's possible in a game. Things that get you really immersed again.

Not just a resolution slider and a start-up screen that loads real fast and says welcome to next-gen.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
To be more than just shinier graphics, higher resolution.

Next gen has amazing CPUs, GPUs, SSD? Ok, prove it.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
What they're aiming for. As few loading screens as possible. No more forced walking sections. No more squeezing through cracks in the walls.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
When you specifically say 'next-gen', I want new tech

- Raytracing + assets like I've never seen before
- Raytraced audio
- Physics-driven gameplay like I haven't seen before

I figure most of this stuff will probably still be PC only in the years to come, but I will be hyped if the console makers can show me some.

I couldn't give a fuuuuck about higher resolutions, and I don't expect next gen to really take advantage of VRR (which I'm finally getting into on PC).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
RPGs that aren't bland Bethesda-style WRPGs or miserable anime tripe.
Less DLC.
Less multiplayer.
Less subscription models.

OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Something like this would flop. Hard.

Because it's too much? Or because it would cost so much to make that early adopters can't recover the devs costs?

If it's the latter then that's the whole reason people buy your systems and games - to be entertained, and with next-gen, to be impressed. Invest.

If it's the former, then get gud. Live die repeat. If it has massive battles with interesting AI and lots going on, it will be different each time while still being challenging. And being so cool and impressive people will want to get good at one of the only few truly-next gen games.
Devs love scalability these days, how about scaling the difficulty based on skill.

The game would be the love child of Gears of War and Titanfall, turned up to 100.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's too much? Or because it would cost so much to make that early adopters can't recover the devs costs?

If it's the latter then that's the whole reason people buy your systems and games - to be entertained, and with next-gen, to be impressed. Invest.

If it's the former, then get gud. Live die repeat. If it has massive battles with interesting AI and lots going on, it will be different each time while still being challenging. And being so cool and impressive people will want to get good.
It's either too much or you basically want to play an interactive movie that's probably controlled by QTEs only. I don't think there's another way to control something like that in your clip. We had QTE only games like Road Avanger since the 90s but having such a game loop in a AAA game would be a huge step back in terms of gameplay. A new gen won't give you some kind of magic omnipotent power to control games in a completely new way.

The tech progress that's usually the easiest to spot for players are frames per second, resultions and "shininess" of textures in games (there's a reason why most launch titles are shiny af). Other features are often harder to spot like the iInheritance tech in Shadow of Mordor when you were climbing those ranks within the orcs. That was pretty impressive from a technical point of view, but not so much if you just played the game.

OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
It's either too much or you basically want to play an interactive movie that's probably controlled by QTEs only. I don't think there's another way to control something like that in your clip. We had QTE only games like Road Avanger since the 90s but having such a game loop in a AAA game would be a huge step back in terms of gameplay. A new gen won't give you some kind of magic omnipotent power to control games in a completely new way.

The tech progress that's usually the easiest to spot for players are frames per second, resultions and "shininess" of textures in games (there's a reason why most launch titles are shiny af). Other features are often harder to spot like the iInheritance tech in Shadow of Mordor when you were climbing those ranks within the orcs. That was pretty impressive from a technical point of view, but not so much if you just played the game.

Hell no I don't want an interactive movie - at least not what we think when we hear that these days, definitely not QTE.

It doesn't have to be that exact sequence but the scale of the battles in the background, the amount of things going on, the speed of the gameplay, that sort of thing is what I want to see. It needs to be magnificent. Not the same thing we've been playing for years just slightly crispier.

I want massive scale battles, dynamic enemies and events, just crazy shit. The battle pieces that were cut from Anthem because the hardware couldn't handle it. Turn up everything, not just the damn resolution and shadows. Let's see all the particles, the destruction, the explosions, the enemies and their interactions with other AI etc. Make it as hectic and immersive as they can. We've gotten used to the limits of gameplay of the last generation or two, which hasn't changed that much. It's time for better.

People will notice the difference in the intensity and magnitude from the get go. That's what people actually want. The things that aren't possible to that extent on current hardware. Things they couldn't imagine were possible last generation.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Less Big ass boring lifeless open worlds.

Fidelity, fidelity, fidelity.

Destruction.

Better physics and hit reactions.

Insane particle effects and better explosions.

A step forward AI.

I dont give a SINGLE FUCK about 60 FPS.

Give me fidelity and all the above.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Less open worlds + padding/bloat
Less pop-in
Better AI
Better animation
More interactivity
More custom graphical settings (resolution/framerate/effects)
Stat tracking (Don't know why that suddenly stopped being a thing for a lot of games since they matter more now for achievements/trophies)

Dec 15, 2017
I want devs to focus on 4k 60 so I can keep playing with my fx 6300 and rx 580 for a while.

And ideally what I want has nothing to do with specs. I want the gaming industry to change. That large publishers allocate budgets towards smaller single player AA games. Games that take risks. We need the AA space to thrive again like in the ps2 days.
And I would love that indie devs started to take the late 90s as a source of inspiration for their games. Early 3d and pre rendered backgrounds for example. There is more to gaming than chiptunes and NES inspired visuals. That trend was already getting long in the tooth by 2013.

And VR... VR to finally have that breaktrough in price/performance/ease of use. I wanna race in the Nordscheife and Mulsanne on the cheap.

Oh and mandatory PC/Xbox/PS crossplay. It will help the fighting genre a lot.

Last edited:

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
More PS exclusives and 60fps as a standard so that I can justify buying it and using it. Haven't played a ps4 game in a year because 30fps is a redflag for me.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
More living breathing worlds with better draw distance. I'd take something like breath of the wild, but everything like enemies and grass is rendered way farther out into the distance, rather than certain things popping popping into existence when you get close. Better physics would be nice too for grass and water.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
next generation is going to be the VR boom. i expect VR to be real big in the next 5-7 years.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
Good, innovative games and a bigger focus on performance.
At the very least put a 1440p60fps option in every game.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
OP, what kind of game do you actually want?

A mix between The Surge, Metal Gear Rising and Warriors Orochi?

Nothing that somehow couldn't be done on current gen...

---
Edit: It really depends on what you want there to be: Destructible environments, changing the landscape while fighting(craters). All that during some crazy weather happening with stuff flying around interacting with everything in the game world? That is something I wouldn't deem possible on current gen hardware.
---

What magic do you want from the new hardware?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
OP, what kind of game do you actually want?

A mix between The Surge, Metal Gear Rising and Warriors Orochi?

Nothing that somehow couldn't be done on current gen...

---
Edit: It really depends on what you want there to be: Destructible environments, changing the landscape while fighting(craters). All that during some crazy weather happening with stuff flying around interacting with everything in the game world? That is something I wouldn't deem possible on current gen hardware.
---

What magic do you want from the new hardware?

A mix between Battlefield's scale and choas, MGR/Vanquish and Titanfall. With everything turned up to 11. EVERYTHING.

That's what next-gen is for. Let's push it all to overdrive. Destruction, particles, NPC count, the explosions, the dynamic aspects to the AI and environment - as well as the movement. Just pump it all up till it feels next-gen. Don't just turn up the resolution and shadows and rinse all the power! We've had that on PC for 10 years already and it hasn't made the games funner. This gen will be a another snorefest if they do that. I need to be floored. Where's the magic? The surprise and astonishment. Impress us, come on.

Look at all these dreams and wishes for next-gen games in this thread. People are hoping for more. We need more from future games and they can be more. It's been a long 2 gens at this level. Are you gonna say ... sorry we targetted 4K60/raytracing and can't do any of that? That's the wrong decision.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want game with weather like this:

I want fighting games with the same level of graphics (not artstyle) as AAA budget games.

I want racing games to be like action movies:

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, PS4 level graphical fidelity is more than enough for me (not that I don't want it to improve). I'm more interested in better animations, better collision detection (please no sword clipping through armor), and more dynamic worlds.