• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really enjoyed my time with The Outer Worlds, but I also went in having set my expectations accordingly. The game's budget – or lack thereof – was something mentioned in just about every piece of pre-release coverage. Despite looking like a New Vegas follow up, The Outer Worlds has nowhere near the scope of it.

While it's far from a perfect game I do see it as an IP with great potential. With DLC confirmed, and a higher budget sequel looking likely I'd like to hear what everyone would like to see improved in the future.

Here are some of my thoughts:

A Stronger Connection to the Player Character

The Outer Worlds starts off with what I think is a pretty damn good character creator – one that is even given narrative context in the form of Phineas searching the Hope's database. You're character is chosen out of hundreds of other colonists. Unfortunately, the rest of the game doesn't make good on making your character feel truly unique.

One of these issues comes from the budget: the game is first-person only. This means outside of the initial character customization, the inventory screen, and an idle animation, there is no opportunity to see your character. I ended up missing the third person view more than I thought I would. Maybe its partly because the game gives off heavy Mass Effect/KotOR vibes, but I also think there's just something nice about being able to see your character in an RPG. I understand that implementing a third-person view is a lot of work (animations, design implications, etc.) but I do wish there were more chances to actually see my character. Perhaps a simple shot/reverse shot during dialogue instead of the typical Fallout 3/New Vegas-style camera? I hope a sequel gives us a proper third-person option.

The other issue I have has to do with attributes and skills. While you can specialize your skills and try to role play your character in certain ways, I found the game made it far too easy to be a jack of all trades. Speech options related to Medicine, Science, Engineering, etc. don't feel special when I've barely put any points into them and I'm able to select them. Rarely did I ever feel the need to use any of the consumables in the game to boost my stats. This is more of a balance issue and one that could be corrected fairly easily. I just hope they keep it in mind for the future.

Keep the Tight Experience, Improve the Pacing

One design choice Obsidian absolutely nailed was the decision to make The Outer Worlds a shorter game focused on replayability rather than a 100+ hour adventure. The Mass Effect trilogy was similar, with each game begin ~30 hours. I'm happy to see that this is likely the route they will continue with.

At the same time, I do think The Outer Worlds could benefit from having a few more planets to explore. Having only two main planets hurt the pacing. I don't think I'm alone in saying that Monarch dragged on. I would rather the game focus on tighter experiences on a variety of planets than have one overly long quest line in a single location.

Embrace the Sci-Fi/Space Setting

Space is such a great setting for an RPG. I would like to see The Outer Worlds be more than "Fallout with a space skybox." I could take or leave the 50s style retro-future look at this point.
The end slideshow suggests the next game will take place farther in the future with more technological advancements, so I'm hopeful we'll get something a bit different.

There are general improvements I'd like to see too, like a better UI and more combat options.

A potential Outer Worlds 2 is a few years off, but I'm excited at the future for the series.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd be into it with the improvements you suggested, but also with the caveat that they actually engage with a theme beyond going, "Whoa look at how awful/wacky corporatism is!!!"

If you want to make a game with a political theme, have the confidence to actually say something.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
difference of builds - skill points and perks change how your character plays

dialog and stealth are the only trees that matter with leadership and companion bonuses you can max them both

earlier point of no return for factions, you can currently change from good / bad ending right before the last mission

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
voiced protagonist.

more environmental variety.

more armor and weapon variety, sci-fi equivalent of a caster build would be cool

better companions. they were all underwhelming besides parvati.

maybe a 3rd person option

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
More locations, have the world react more towards your actions (they actually do this well early on but it falls off later) and more guns

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
More diverse flora and fauna. I shouldn't be seeing the same plants and animals across entirely different planets.

More enemy variety in general.

More weapon variety.

Bigger differences in how you can build up a character. IE: Flesh out the RPG side more.

Larger, less linear locations and objectives.

Make it feel more like their other titles where "choices matter" and have more of an impact on outcomes. IE: More branching storylines and paths.

That's an interesting take.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I can't wait for Outer Worlds 2. What I want:

1. Third Person Perspective. TOW handled first person sublimely, but I still prefer third for RPGs.

2. If Grounded is great, add some elements of it to Outer Worlds 2 like rich biomes, adaptive environments (i.e. kill too many Canids and Raiders run wild), and survival.

3. A longer story. TOW was great but I beat it in 8 hours. For an RPG, I like around 20. I'm too busy for 70+.

4. Radio! The orchestral score is amazing but sometimes I want to rock out like in Fallout and Brutal Legend.

5. Richer graphics. TOW looks great for triple I, TOW2 is probably Triple A and should be more refined looking.

6. Multiple endings. TOW had 3, I'd like to see around 5.

7. Deeper combat. Shooting is amazing but combat only ok in Outer Worlds 1.

8. A new story and characters.

9. More crazy corporations and corporate politic lampooning.

10. A bit more grey and grey morality. While I love TOW's story, it's pretty clear Phineas good, Board bad.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Don't make a charisma build so painfully broken, or at least gimp the player in every other area to compensate if they decide to skew towards a charisma build.

I built my guy with a slight focus in charisma and science, and I didn't have to engage in any combat for the last 2 hours of the game except for the final boss. It was extremely underwhelming.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mainly just needs builds that matter and a levelling system that doesn't effectively let you master practically everything (even without the skill points invested).

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Balancing the availability of resources throughout the game worlds. The game is riddled with healing items and ammunition to the point difficulty becomes irrelevant and potential play styles become obsolete. Why invest in certain attributes, skills and perks that better your survivability when you can just spam an endless supply of healing hypos and turn any critical situation around instantly?

Another thing that I didn't mention in the OP -- better perks. The perks in the game right now are incredibly uninteresting.

This is what I was going to say as well. The perks in this game are almost all underwhelming and don't cater to any sort of interesting play styles like Fallout New Vegas.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Massively improved animations and modelling.
Writing was great, more of that.
I enjoyed the build diversity.
I think a 3rd person perspective could be useful especially for melee oriented players.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Just more of the same would be okay for me. The only 'issue' I had was staying too long on the same planet. After too much simple side quests there I just went for the ending without spending a lot of time in the final locations.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Better builds and encounter design would probably be my top. Much better loot side quests and characters too, but I think they'll nail that in 2.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd play a sequel. The setting for this game was a glorified fetch quest (just you collecting things to make the Hope come back online). If I had to narrow it down I'd say better writing & especially better CHARACTER writing. Most of the characters I didn't find interesting & actually actively disliked. Some of the crewmates they don't make any effort to endear them to you at all.

Felix just walks up & asks to join randomly. No mission to recruit, seemingly no reason. As a result I never felt any reason to talk to him. Nyoka I missed b/c it gave me the option to go & investigate on my own & just have her point me in the direction. I didn't know she was recruitable until I beat the game. I still can't wrap my head around that decision.
Vicar Max is an asshat.
I wanted to like Ellie, but when I went to do her mission & met her parents she was so insufferable that I quit the quest & decided to just beat the game.
Parvati I liked her performance, but I still think that was in spite of the writing. It was jarring when I've barely met Parvati & I finish like one mission, to have her bearing her heart to me over having a crush on Junlei. Like, they just met, I just met you, and you're already comfortable telling me this? Just felt weird.

Most of the non-companion characters similarly aren't very interesting. They're mostly shitty people in a shitty world, and almost none of them do or say anything interesting. I think they really wanted this kind of dystopian world to be humorous, but I can't think of a single time I laughed during the game. Because of that, I just chalk it up to me not liking the style of writing they were going for. There are probably a lot of people that really enjoy the writing of this game, but it did NOT resonate with me at all.

(also like someone else said, just going the dialogue build is super OP & needs to be balanced)

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I think the focus has to be increasing the ways in which the player can meaningfully distinguish his/her character and experience. TOW makes it too easy for basically any build to pass most checks for the first 2/3rds of the game, which makes your skill choices feel less significant. And the combat, because it is too easy (and perhaps too narrow in design), also doesn't press the player to make hard choices and learn to live with them. Perks feel bad because rather than help you build a cool, unique character, they just add a flavorless bonus with few real consequences (beyond QoL).

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Better writing with more teeth. Go wild. Don't just do the one shtick about corporations being bad.

More outlandish perks. +5% dmg is a snorefest.

ALIEN RACES.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
More fleshed out world, and MUCH more variety in gameplay and quest mechanics. The biggest issue with TOW for me was repetition, probably due to the budget I'm sure. The moment to moment writing was good but overall it started to feel fairly quickly like you were going through the motions.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I think the companion idea needed far more attention.

At the end of the game, they mostly felt somewhat pointless since they all don't really get involved in the ending. They needed to look at the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
1. Actual challenge.
2. Something about the battle system that stands out and is exciting(they "stole" Fallout's but implemented it in the blandest way possible
3. Romance. Just do it you cowards.
4. Element of choice that's would be far more compelling than "do you side with the local settlers/little people, or the clearly evil corporate interests that abuse the citizenry in every which way. Maybe they "tried" to find some gray area in here, but it just wasn't there.

OP
OP
TheUnsungHero26
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Another point I'll add: make the faction system actually meaningful.

Getting a high reputation with each faction doesn't require a lot of effort. The reputation also doesn't do much besides give you a better discount.

Again, I imagine this was something they had grander plans for, but couldn't execute due to budget and time.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said, third person perspective.

At least have it as an option, I spent a good amount of time customizing my character and I would've liked to see them more.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Meaningful choices. None of my skills or perks made any difference at all. The loot was all pointless too.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not convinced that the budget was to blame for a lot the flaws in The Outer Worlds. The whole design philosophy of the game felt over dumbed downed and streamlined. Everything from the RPG mechanics, perks, loot and even the overall themes in the story. Personally I'm not clamouring for a third person perspective, I've literally never played a game that offered both and executed each one well.

The first game felt like the framework to something much bigger/better rather than a fleshed out experience of a clear vision. Didn't care for it at all beyond the first few hours but I expect the sequel to be massively improved given the foundation they've got to work with now.