• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest QoL improvement the series can make moving on to next-gen is eliminating load times completely - everything is seamless and you can access the workshop, gathering hall and various areas instantly. Another seamless feature has to be the online multiplayer - this needs to be a quick in and out instead of the quest board SOS searching.

They don't have to mess around with the weapons too much aside from refinements here and there, but I would welcome a new weapon type addition as I'm sure they would nail the gameplay aspect of that.

In terms of environmental mechanics, I'm not sure what else they can come up. I don't think they would bring back underwater combat since people weren't too fond of that. Aerial type combat may be a bit silly to pull off for the series, but maybe? They have the Glider Mantle and air vents in various areas to make you glide up for mounting attacks in World, so they can probably add to these mechanics somehow.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No fucking handler
Cutscene skipping
Coop campaign from start to finish
Less running around
More well designed and balanced monsters like in classic MH

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Change armour skills back to the way it used to be. Unique weapon models. Bring back the more dumb stuff like a jet engine dragon.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Cross-play

Improve the online coop to allow for full seamless campaign playthrough

Take MHW and put it on steroids

Make the charge blade even more complicated

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't had a new weapon since 4 so I think one's overdue. Unless they bring back playable Palicos, but I felt they were a bit halfbaked compared to everything else. Then there's the obvious stuff like all of the old favorites, better weapon models, easier co-op campaign support, etc.

Cross-play would be awesome of course. So would load times that don't take 50 years, but those are true for every current gen game.

In terms of actually new stuff, I'd like to see more monsters to cover up some of the obvious lacking elements and statuses. Iceborne gave us more water, sleep, and paralysis monsters, but they still can't compare to the number of fire and blast monsters. Some weapons only had 1-2 weapons for certain elements and statuses before stuff like Kulve and Safi, and that's a shame.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
More well designed and balanced monsters like in classic MH

Which monsters were well designed and balanced to you from classic MH?

The Bulldrome while being with 20 other Bullfangos was definitely some bulls***.

Also, that legendary hip check from Plesioth definitely had a fair and balanced hit box.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
It's pretty perfect for me as it is I think. More of the same is all I'm excited for. The one change I can think of is maybe remove that weird limitation of not being able to join another player until they've seen the cutscene for a new monster. Made helping my friends out in the story quests kind of a hassle.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
More monster variety, or in other words, bring back more of the beasts, insects, spiders and others. I know we're still going to see wyverns (including old ones that didn't make the cut, like Khezu), but please...enough for now.

At least 2-3 new weapon types, as we've been stuck with the current number (14) for several years, now.

Better online integration for campaign. Should not be a thing that 4U had a better setup with everybody seeing the same cutscene compared to World making the others stay at base until the host saw the cutscene.

Bring back Prowlers. Especially "Beast" Prowlers. But to be honest, I expect this to be something the "Portable" team will handle more than the console team...

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
fixing the story mode coop, ye
aside from that, just more mons and less deco RNG

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I think load times would naturally be way better thanks to every console having an SSD.

Weapon-wise, I hope they push for more incentives to use elemental weapons. I'm still finding it more easier to just use a non-elemental since you don't have to squeeze in as much skills.

But in general they already have a winning formula with the fighting, they just need to cut out even more of the "tax work" and streamline getting new players up to speed.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
More difficult game akin to mh4
Make online lobbies like that game too, don't overcomplicate it
Better endgame, not a fan of how they did it in world
Faster loading times
New weapons

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
How do you all feel about having all ranks available (Low > High > Master) instead of waiting on an expansion to add the final rank?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Make online lobbies like that game too, don't overcomplicate it
The only way you're gonna make lobbies work like the old games is to gut SOS. That's the only reason people don't use them like they did back then. And if everyone's using SOS instead of lobbies, that just means they think it's way more convenient.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
How do you all feel about having all ranks available (Low > High > Master) instead of waiting on an expansion to add the final rank?

Not a fan, I like this current set up. Low is the tutorial, High is where to hone your skills, Master is the challenge. In theory anyway.

Beside, all that means is that the expansion would add ANOTHER rank.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As far as accessing everything goes, there is the MR gathering hall in MHW, and that has just about everything you need except for palico safaris. Making everything accessible through menus instantly I think wouldn't be good...you gotta have a village/town.

I want underwater combat back. That, and the ability to go from home base, leave on an expedition, and go through every single map in the game and back home through tunnels, bridges, whatever, with absolutely no loading screens. Also I second what someone said in bringing back the other monsters - I want the congalalas, daimyo hermitaurs, tetsucabra, plesioth, gobul, lagicarius, seltas, gore magala, MASSSSIVE elder dragons, and more. Of course a few of those also go hand in hand with underwater combat. We need an environment where the monsters truly have the upper hand, not Like being on land with our comfortable "air" and "ground".

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I like the expansion formula because it gives them an obvious chance to look at Low and High as a whole, see what went right/wrong and what's missing, and then fix it in one fell swoop instead of just trying to patch it up piecemeal as people fall off the game inevitably.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Mega fast load times.

Something like the guiding lands from World, but in the scope of the other levels.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
All weapons having appropriate visual designs and not that half assed shit you see in World.

New weapon type. Big Boomerang or ball and chain.

Cross play.

Making it so you can experience the game with friends without all the bullshit of having to quit out because they made the cutscenes the only reason you can't just play with friends from the getgo.

Oh and better endgame. It was better in old MH. The current endgame is not nearly as good.

MrBungle26

Feb 20, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
RE Engine MH would look so damn good. Definitely reduced loading times and crossplay.

Edit: Also change the way story missions work in co-op. Becomes annoying having to watch the cutscene first before you can play co-op on those.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Interconnected open world
More physics (breakable foliage, water)
Shared multiplayer cut scenes and story
Mounted combat
Trainable mounts
Flying mounts
Large player count battles
More set piece fights
Faster load times

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
1.Vastly improved matchmaking. Its just too clunky to get into a hunt with others. I should be able to just get matched with others doing the same hunt instead of opening a room and hoping someone will join someday. I played dauntless for a bit and the only thing I would take from that game is the matchmaking. I pick a hunt, game populates players in the slots as the game loads, we jump in and steal the monster's skin. If I'm doing lobbies in a co-op game its because I want SPECIFIC people to join.
2. Make the weapons look like they used to, as crazy and as bold looking as the monsters you got them from. A ton of weapons in MHW look like they should be for a modular system rather than a dedicated weapon built from a monster you hunted.
3. A couple of new weapons as its been a while since any new weapons were added in, and I don't really consider the slinger/clutch claw to be a weapon as its universal.
4. With the vastly improved CPU performance on next generation hardware, we should hopefully get a bump in the complexity of the world itself. More things coming into play in the ecosystem.
5. Bring back all the MHW/MHW:I monsters and build the roster up from there.
6. 60 or 120 FPS on console. I think this game just feels better to play because the game feels more responsive and there's much more clarity in movement conveyed at higher framerates.
7. Handler sucks. Sorry. Shes just there to react to things and get nearly eaten constantly because she's a ditz who keeps wandering off alone in a land where a good 50 percent of its residents consider her to be "bite-sized".

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loot boxes, battle pass, microtransactions, silver and gold editions and day 1 promo items that are store exclusive.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
Monster Hunter with no load time will be amazing, imagine a seemless open world for MH

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
More seamless multiplayer, and bigger incentive to play in the same space (shared community hub).

More weapon and armor design variety

Less tracking monster grinding / padding

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Less tracking monster grinding / padding

I think they should break tracking quests out into they're own thing. MH monsters are just so obvious when you find them lumbering in their room. It would be cool if there was a stealth, stalk, camo type mission where you find the monster that's hiding and tag it. Monster studies could be another interesting type mission where you have to find and observe the monster but not alert it to your presence. Maybe bring in wind and scent direction, noise detection, etc. So the challenge would be finding the monster then observing it with perhaps taking pictures. Then for hunting missions the monster is already tagged.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A working match finder. The one in World has been broken as hell from day one

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's sacrilege. I'm getting that out of the way immediately.
But damn if I don't want a better camera / lock-on system.

I played MANY hours of Monster Hunter World (my first MH game) and I could never get used to it, to the point where I gave up and moved on to other games.
If it had a proper system, I'd probably still be playing it. It has all of the elements I need to be addicted to a game, except that one critical feature.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Streamlined matchmaking. Almost no loading. Outside of these two I'm pretty darn happy with iceborne we even got a full layered system for weapons and armor which is just amazing.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Better handling of assigned quests. The fact it locks it to one player until a cutscene plays is pretty shit. Just add a notification if you're joining someone's assigned quest for the first time that you'll be exposed to the cutscenes.

The way assigned quests are handled in the game make multiplayer feel like something you should only dabble in after the story. This seems to counter the focus on instantaneous co-op with the SOS system.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Dauntless lately, and I'd like to be able to play the next MH on my Switch and PC without any issues as well. The accounts should be shared across platforms.

I'd like better multiplayer integration. Matchmaking needs to be way way better.

Really, I'd like my time to not be wasted with poor UI/UX, long loading times, etc.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
- No tenderizing
- New weapons, even if at the expense of others taking a break (who would mind if GL took a break, lol)
- Fast aggressive monsters that test your dodging skills like Velkhana
- More ammo types variety for guns