• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And if they go with the older X-Men status quo of Xavier's school there will 100% be a streaming series about it. In fact if they do go the school route, it is very possible they'll start with a show about the school first and build up to films from that.

Not gonna lie - a multi-season Disney+ show about a group of teenagers enrolled in Xavier's School for the Gifted (think Hogwarts) as they navigate classes, friendships, romance and training to join the X-Men would be pretty dang rad as a companion piece to the movies that emphasise that the lives of mutants isn't just about the X-Men running around saving the world.

You could look at the prejudices held against mutants through the eyes of teenagers that are just trying to grow up in a world that hates and fears them for no rational reason at all, essentially grounding the troubles that mutants face and emphasising how important Xavier's work is for the mutants that can't tell the world to go fuck itself.

Oct 25, 2017
hmmmm I think I'd like it if they took it slow, built up the anticipation

Some people want them to just open with a full X-Men movie right out of the gate but I don't think so
I'd prefer another slow burn similar to how the MCU opened. Start introducing a few solid characters first, establish them well, then have Fury Prof X show up to round everyone up. Then treat full team X-men movies sorta like Avengers movies, they're special deals that come every few years with lots of smaller scale stuff inbetween
Like maybe this time we don't need 5 full movies before we get to the avengers x-men but I'd still appreciate a measured introduction

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think the first X-Men film is a good template: Professor X already has his school and his X-Men, Magneto is already in the shadows with his Brotherhood, and the two groups have either clashed previously or are just starting to clash now. Have the classic pilot origin of someone being inducted into the school for the first time, meeting everyone, and from that plot things happen until said person joins the team proper.

Unsure what the team roster is. If the school's on the newer side the original 5 would probably be best, if it's more established maybe a mix-up of classics like the first movie works. Wolverine's guaranteed if its the latter, and the first thing they're gonna do is throw him in the costume.

"Classic" really is the key word here - Fox spent so long remixing and rebooting shit that it's been a good while since the general audience has really had some good old-fashioned X-Men goodness. But now that Marvel's fully got them we're gonna get the costumes, we're gonna get the right characterizations, and as people have noted there's a good chance to see them as an actual strike team. The MCU's done a stellar job rehabbing characters into their best selves and I like others am absolutely excited to see it done to Cyclops.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the X-Men could be all introduced in a movie right off the bat, not many of them really need a solo movie before that

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Let's obsess over Wolverine and not let anyone die ever and waste villain potential?

That is my instant gut reaction.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Team already exists, have been operating for years in secret because Xavier can wipe witnesses' memories.

First movie will be their "coming out to the world". New, colorful costumes to seem more superhero, less black ops.

Cyclops is team leader and is a goddamned boss. He keeps them running like a well-oiled machine that also flies by the seat of its pants.

Maybe they let being another 'Avengers' type of team go to their head a bit.

By the end, though, they realize that they won't get to be just like the Avengers because they are mutants and the world of humanity fears them. Gotta keep at it anyway, and do it their way.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I believe the X-men will have their big event movies where they are all together as team with various solo movies and off shoot teams in between. Basically how the MCU has been doing it so far
I believe that Kevin Feige will provide the best goddamn Cyclops that's ever put to screen.

cyclops.jpg
I can't wait to see the MCU version of these characters

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I wrote this a year and a half ago and mostly stand by it. I think its the perfect way and I think it is somewhat close to how they'll do things.

"I actually think I have a solution that makes everyone happy and solves a LOT of the problems the X-Men present as a film franchise. We start off with an established X-Men, just as we did with Spider-Man. No need to introduce mutants as a concept, just where they've been which we'll do throughout the movie instead of in a big info dump at the start.

Have the movie start with Xavier calling a big group of classic X-Men into his office. We have Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Angel, Beast, and for good measure Psylocke and Nightcrawler. They've all been X-Men for a number of years and comprise most of the senior team. Xavier thanks them for all their hard work, mentions the great job they did stopping Magneto (or another big villain we won't see anytime soon) recently and then tells them they're fired. They freak out but he explains that the X-Men aren't just a super team but a part of the school and new opportunities need to be given, both for other more senior members to lead, and for young mutants to get their chance. They ask where they're supposed to go and he tells them wherever they like.

We're then introduced to the new team. 7 members. Enough that it feels like an established part of the school, but not too huge that you can't focus on everyone. Storm's the leader but the rest of the team includes Rogue, Gambit, and Colossus as the established group. You then have the young group getting their first shot who will be Kitty, Armor, and Warpath. (I also considered M and Husk and neither would be a terrible choice) The movie focuses on these 7 and not Professor X who is a tertiary presence. He matters, but he mostly leaves the day to day leading to Storm.

That's the team. Kitty/Storm, Rogue/Gambit, Colossus/Kitty are all classic relationships to build from. Avoid Wolverine at least for now, he'll suck all the oxygen out of the room from these other characters. Maybe a brief mention of Logan jumping before he was pushed when the original group leaves to establish that he already has ties to the X-Men if you don't want him to be a new character to them when he finally shows.

This gets to have it both ways. You just established 7 huge X-Men characters, including that original 5 with a couple of additions to diversify the group and then threw them out. Right after this movie you announce an X-Force movie starring that group striking out on their own. People who want the newer characters get them. People who want the O5 with a bit more diversity get it. Psylocke seemed a natural addition to that group with Warren being there. Here we still get the strong leader Cyclops and get to really establish that group.

The X-Men have way too many good characters to contain them to one team of 5-8 people. There's a reason there are like 6 X-Men teams in the comics at any one time. With one team in the movies you'll end up with the same issues Fox had. Either you have way too few characters and fan favorites don't show up for years, classic character interactions no longer work because of the differences in age/seniority this creates and it doesn't feel right to fans. Or you stuff way too many characters in and tons of them feel like they're not in their proper roles or are background characters which is no more satisfying. One of your yearly release spots can go to an X-Men movie. If needed Marvel can crank it up to 4 releases a year to accommodate this. With Fox gone they have less superhero competition in the marketplace, making this more practical. Each one has a two year cycle though because of two different teams we cycle between. If you want an extra year now and then you can even stick a solo movie into that slot here and there. Plenty of X-Men characters could support it. You also have the option to have the two teams butt heads or team up against a greater villain. Characters can swap teams or move in and out as their schedules allow to make it more attractive to some actors as well. More potential big crossovers are not a bad thing to Marvel anyway."

The only thing I'd add compared to two years ago is that now you have Disney+ in the mix. That's more room for solo projects (maybe start Wolverine there if you want to get right to him but not suck all the life in the movies toward the character). I also think they'd be crazy not to do a young mutants show. Like Generation X, or the school characters from the Astonishing run like Glob Herman/Beak/Anole/Rockslide/etc. Seems like a no brainer.

Team already exists, have been operating for years in secret because Xavier can wipe witnesses' memories.

First movie will be their "coming out to the world". New, colorful costumes to seem more superhero, less black ops.

Cyclops is team leader and is a goddamned boss. He keeps them running like a well-oiled machine that also flies by the seat of its pants.

Maybe they let being another 'Avengers' type of team go to their head a bit.

By the end, though, they realize that they won't get to be just like the Avengers because they are mutants and the world of humanity fears them. Gotta keep at it anyway, and do it their way.
They might go with people hate non documented heroes. I can't wait to see how they do that Mutant hatred that makes sense in the MCU with all the things going on because I always found it weird people like the other heroes but hate X-men when Spider-Man could be a secret mutant.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
They have tons of material to pull from which is probably being discussed and planned as we speak.

I'm just looking forward to seeing who they bring to the big screen and the comic book nods in film.

I trust in feige to do cyclops justice.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They might go with people hate non documented heroes. I can't wait to see how they do that Mutant hatred that makes sense in the MCU with all the things going on because I always found it weird people like the other heroes but hate X-men when Spider-Man could be a secret mutant.
In the comics this was used by Jameson once to turn public opinion against him.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

If Spider-Man is a mutant, he's definitely not out and proud about it like those X-Men. Spidey is "one of the good ones".

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie - a multi-season Disney+ show about a group of teenagers enrolled in Xavier's School for the Gifted (think Hogwarts) as they navigate classes, friendships, romance and training to join the X-Men would be pretty dang rad as a companion piece to the movies that emphasise that the lives of mutants isn't just about the X-Men running around saving the world.

You could look at the prejudices held against mutants through the eyes of teenagers that are just trying to grow up in a world that hates and fears them for no rational reason at all, essentially grounding the troubles that mutants face and emphasising how important Xavier's work is for the mutants that can't tell the world to go fuck itself.

This actually sounds amazing, and a great way to really hammer in the messages of the mutant metaphor. Plus, I'd love to see mutants use their abilities in really casual ways.

In the comics this was used by Jameson once to turn public opinion against him.

I know that's why I used it.

If Spider-Man is a mutant, he's definitely not out and proud about it like those X-Men. Spidey is "one of the good ones".
CorruptHeartfeltAsiaticmouflon-max-1mb.gif

I've had someone say that to me once and I was upset the whole day. You're right though. I can see people using the Avengers or other heroes as the "Model Minorities" in the MCU

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be a lot more focus on character. The characters in the Fox X-Men movies felt for the most part so flat, trying to be so melodramatic but not having good scripts. The love triangle with Scott, Jean, and Wolverine just felt so unearned. Storm had the personality of cardboard. Rogue barely seemed like Rogue. Those character dynamics are one thing that Marvel does really well with their films.

I think eventually they will do Secret Wars I or II to tie them in to the larger MCU.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that's why I used it.

CorruptHeartfeltAsiaticmouflon-max-1mb.gif

I've had someone say that to me once and I was upset the whole day. You're right though. I can see people using the Avengers or other heroes as the "Model Minorities" in the MCU

Yeah, the Avengers or other heroes also don't represent the obsolescence of the human race. The Avengers are humans who were empowered. "This is what super beings should be."

Mutants, on the other hand are like... homo sapiens vs neanderthals. Or even the threat of AI replacing us. It's something humans can't be AND they're an "other."

At least, I think that's the best way to explain it in the movies. Plus, Spidey being a mutant or not doesn't really change the fact that your neighbor's kid is from a "superior race." So you could pretty easily hate the idea of mutants while loving superheroes. And then the X-Men being "out" mutants makes them an easier target.

I love talking about this stuff

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to the D+ potential more than I am the blockbuster movie affairs.

Mutants stories are built to be told through series.
Fox tried to do Dark Phoenix twice and failed hard both times. They failed to deliver a good adaptation and failed to grasp the fact that the story of Dark Phoenix was told slowly and built up to its finale. I don't think you'd be able to capture what made that story so great in the span of a movie. That said, having a series guide you through that story. A lot of X-Men stories definitely are built for that. That's not saying you can't make a good stand-alone X-Men movie, but maybe Simon Kinberg should've tempered his ambitions.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Fox tried to do Dark Phoenix twice and failed hard both times. They failed to deliver a good adaptation and failed to grasp the fact that the story of Dark Phoenix was told slowly and built up to its finale. I don't think you'd be able to capture what made that story so great in the span of a movie. That said, having a series guide you through that story. A lot of X-Men stories definitely are built for that. That's not saying you can't make a good stand-alone X-Men movie, but maybe Simon Kinberg should've tempered his ambitions.
They disrespected Apocalypse with a single movie's worth of resolution. As a kid who grew up with those comics, I left the theatre mad mad.

Fox was so bad at having the vision to start an MCU level event. The Age of Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix Saga could've fed them for a decade plus.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, in a similar vein as what they already do.

Genre films that happen to have super-powered beings as the characters.

I want a horror film with the Brood. I want to see coming of age movies with mutants "coming out" with their powers. I want to see the dramatic pull between human "passing" mutants and those with more obvious mutations.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I expect X-Men to be the bulk of the roster in Phase 6 or whatever. I thought they would be mingling with a lot of Avengers for the eventual Avengers vs. X-Men movie, but they seem to be going fast with newer character introductions (Eternals next, Younger Avengers soon after, Fantastic Four down the line, huge focus on casting newer and diverse heroes found in Champions and Agents of Atlas teams) and it might be merchandising character overload to add the entire mutant roster. I do think Wolverine, Storm, Sabretooth, Mystique, Professor X, Magneto, the First Class Original Five, and a few stragglers will be the few to mingle with the old guard.

But I think a mutant majority will encapsulate at least three phases (or a decade of film/TV)--meaning the biggest team-up movies won't even have the "Avengers" moniker, it'll just be "X-Men."

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
A part of me half expects them to start with Krakoa.

RCO025_1570019300.jpg

Disney's first throuple.

I would love to see them do the Weapon X arc as a series on Disney+. I've always wanted to see on the screen the actual program in action and all the stuff they put Logan through, not just flashbacks to him getting injected with adamantium under Stryker's watch at Alkali Lake or the one scene in Apocalypse where we finally see as close to a comic accurate costume as we have got so far, but I'm sure was altered to show Hugh's face for studio/contract reasons.

I am also interested in seeing how they will tackle Magneto's origin as the way it currently is known in the films is that his powers manifested in a Nazi concentration camp as we saw in "First Class". I could see them update it and have him taken and experimented on by the USSR as a possible weapon against the US. They could still keep his German and Jewish roots and just have him be from Eastern Germany or another country that was behind the Iron Curtain.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
All I know is that some people are gonna be disappointed it's not 90's enough. Others will be disappointed because they're not getting enough mutants. Like the mcu isn't gonna be 60% X-Men content all of a sudden, but some sure expect it to be with all kinds of solo films and disney+ series.

All I want is faithful characterisation, colorful costumes, Rogue being able to punch through a wall and Emma Frost being the boss that she is.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
RCO025_1570019300.jpg

Disney's first throuple.

I would love to see them do the Weapon X arc as a series on Disney+. I've always wanted to see on the screen the actual program in action and all the stuff they put Logan through, not just flashbacks to him getting injected with adamantium under Stryker's watch at Alkali Lake or the one scene in Apocalypse where we finally see as close to a comic accurate costume as we have got so far, but I'm sure was altered to show Hugh's face for studio/contract reasons.

I am also interested in seeing how they will tackle Magneto's origin as the way it currently is known in the films is that his powers manifested in a Nazi concentration camp as we saw in "First Class". I could see them update it and have him taken and experimented on by the USSR as a possible weapon against the US. They could still keep his German and Jewish roots and just have him be from Eastern Germany or another country that was behind the Iron Curtain.
A Weapon X series is a genius idea. It could work as an anthology and do a lot of work in world building.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just leave his origin the same. Dude controls the entirety of the EM spectrum; he can use his magnetic powers to extend his lifespan. If he can magnetize trees and open wormholes, he can be a holocaust survivor who doesn't look any older than 60.

It's as simple as that. Or just say he took some super soldier serum in the 60's after escaping Hydra or some shit.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The first movie should be an adaptation of Deadpool's Good Bad and the Ugly storyline which features Deadpool, Wolverine, and Captain America. Replace Wolverine with some other tertiary character, and you have your mutant introduction in the MCU.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The first movie should be an adaptation of Deadpool's Good Bad and the Ugly storyline which features Deadpool, Wolverine, and Captain America. Replace Wolverine with some other tertiary character, and you have your mutant introduction in the MCU.
I can't imagine Disney doing a 1:1 adaptation of this-but it would be incredible.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Ensemble X-Men movies that they mostly throw the usual faces into and maybe introduce some new faces while maybe using solo movies & D+ shows for less used/well known characters. Probably some more famous characters will still get their own solo movies but I imagine they'll be more the likes of Storm who deserve the spotlight more than Wolverine who already had two decades of mostly not-totally-horrible movies.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Judging by how they've handled the MCU Spider-Man... different. Very, very, very different.

I firmly suspect that the MCU X-Men will be a ground-up reworking of many of the foundational concepts. To the point where some of the more hardcore X-Men fans will be turned off by it. Just look at how much they changed Spider-Man to differentiate him from previous versions, then remember just how many (Fo)x-Men films there have been.

They are going to change things.

For example, does there need to be a mansion? Does there need to be a school? Do they need to have Professor X or Magneto? What if it's just the kids looking after themselves? What about Wolverine? Can he be punted down the road to a later film? These are the sorts of things I expect them to toy around with.

I predict they're going to boil X-Men down to its core premise - Ragtag group of mutants with cool powers standing in for marginalised groups - and rebuild it into something new. It will still be X-Men, but a different type of X-Men then we've ever seen.

Also, it's going to be more diverse. Which means that some traditionally white characters are going to be played by POC, and some traditionally straight characters are going to be LGBT+.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I can't see Marvel changing the formula up too much with the way they introduce a character in someone else's movie, the way Black widow appears in Iron Man 2 and joins the ensemble to eventually get her own spin off or Black Panther in Civil War.

We'll probably see Iceman team up with Spider-Man, Storm appear in a Black Panther movie, hopefully see Wolverine and Cap team up. Everything leading up to that big ensemble movie that features all the X-Men.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by how they've handled the MCU Spider-Man... different. Very, very, very different.

I firmly suspect that the MCU X-Men will be a ground-up reworking of many of the foundational concepts. To the point where some of the more hardcore X-Men fans will be turned off by it. Just look at how much they changed Spider-Man to differentiate him from previous versions, then remember just how many (Fo)x-Men films there have been.

They are going to change things.

For example, does there need to be a mansion? Does there need to be a school? Do they need to have Professor X or Magneto? What if it's just the kids looking after themselves? What about Wolverine? Can he be punted down the road to a later film? These are the sorts of things I expect them to toy around with.

I predict they're going to boil X-Men down to its core premise - Ragtag group of mutants with cool powers standing in for marginalised groups - and rebuild it into something new. It will still be X-Men, but a different type of X-Men then we've ever seen.

Also, it's going to be more diverse. Which means that some traditionally white characters are going to be played by POC, and some traditionally straight characters are going to be LGBT+.
There's going to be Xavier, Magneto, and a school. But the tone is going to be more in line with Hickman's era of X-Men (likely sans sentient mutant island) than anything.

They didn't give that dude full control of the X-Men line for no reason; they're going to exploit his shit for cross media works.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm going to be a contrarian and say that mutants will have their foundations in Eternals. Namor is heavily rumoured to be in that movie and he's a mutant so he'd likely be the starting point for the X-Gene and Mutantkind.

Wolverine will be probably a standalone and may get involved with the Avengers.

I could see Marvel Studios getting creative and having Wolverine be part of Alpha Flight to add value to that Marvel brand.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Fox was so bad at having the vision to start an MCU level event. The Age of Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix Saga could've fed them for a decade plus.

I know some people think Feige won't touch Dark Phoenix Saga because Fox tried and failed twice at it but I really hope he's like "this is how it's done". Not right away obviously, it's going to take some time. But maybe sometime in the early 2030's long after the X Men have been established we can finally have the proper Dark Phoenix Saga that we've always wanted with the full blown space opera aspect intact.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
There's going to be Xavier, Magneto, and a school. But the tone is going to be more in line with Hickman's era of X-Men (likely sans sentient mutant island) than anything.

They didn't give that dude full control of the X-Men line for no reason; they're going to exploit his shit for cross media works.
There probably will be, but I really don't think we can take it as an absolute certainty. And if they are, how much are those elements going to be reimagined?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I know some people think Feige won't touch Dark Phoenix Saga because Fox tried and failed twice at it but I really hope he's like "this is how it's done". Not right away obviously, it's going to take some time. But maybe sometime in the early 2030's long after the X Men have been established we can finally have the proper Dark Phoenix Saga that we've always wanted with the full blown space opera aspect intact.
You'll get the Goblin Force Saga and like it!

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
I sure hope it's a lot of crazy shit like the Savage Land, the Shi'ar Empire and Mojoworld, on top of eventually getting to Krakoa (if not starting there!). The X-Men are fucking crazy and get into the weirdest shit. Make it WEIRD.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I'm going to be a contrarian and say that mutants will have their foundations in Eternals. Namor is heavily rumoured to be in that movie and he's a mutant so he'd likely be the starting point for the X-Gene and Mutantkind.
Absolutely. I strongly suspect that the Eternals/Mutants/Inhumans are all going to be mashed together into being essentially the same thing. That just seems like a good way of streamlining things for the MCU.