• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
i think metroid prime 4 will be perceived as a flop when it comes out and only beats prime 1's sales record by a little bit instead of being a breakout 10million success.
What the hell... Nobody expects Metroid to sell all that much. Considering the previous sales of the franchise's games, 1 or 2 million could already be considered a success.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm laughing so hard at anyone saying Anthem

It's going to make so much money

I know most people here don't like GaaS shared world shooters but the general public loves them. Division 1 sold a shit ton and so will Anthem.
It can be both really. Anthem will probably be a GaaS/MTX nightmare but the somewhat less informed FIFA/COD/Destiny crowd will still be all over it (naturally).

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
May I ask what the purpose of the quote chain was? Was it just because you were surprised so many Anthem?
I guess so? Its not that I didn't expect some to say Anthem but the overwhelming negative response to it is a bit surprising. I think it just shows that Bioware has an uphill battle to fight after ME:A (not to mention everything else that has happened tied to EA). It will be very interesting to see if the attitude toward this game changes at all closer to release as more previews and demos become available.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be laughing at any and everyone saying Days Gone. That game will sell exceedingly well just because of the subject matter alone, nevermind gameplay, characters or narrative. I expect it to be an upset sales wise. I think Crackdown 3 have a tepid reception, and will be less successful than something like Sea of Thieves. Left Alive would be my pick. I'm genuinely interested in the game and has many elements from what I think would make for a brilliant game but what has been show seems like MGSV-lite. But whatever, I'll take it.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Based on how all less popular FPS series sell these days, I think Metro Exodus could do poorly. I'll still be there day one though!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be laughing at any and everyone saying Days Gone. That game will sell exceedingly well just because of the subject matter alone, nevermind gameplay, characters or narrative. I expect it to be an upset sales wise. I think Crackdown 3 have a tepid reception, and will be less successful than something like Sea of Thieves. Left Alive would be my pick. I'm genuinely interested in the game and has many elements from what I think would make for a brilliant game but what has been show seems like MGSV-lite. But whatever, I'll take it.
I agree about Days Gone selling well.

However you really think a Triple A MS first party game that has an online multiplayer shooter with destruction component and can easily be played by Xbox owners on release using Game Pass is going to have a tepid reaction? lol

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I really want to root for Days Gone because I'm from Oregon and that game takes place here, but I just can't muster any interest in that game.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
I think dying light 2 might not be the hit WB will have in their financial forecast it's not going to bomb but mk 11 will save that quarter.
Anthem is not impressing most vocal gaming fans but mainstream media and the destiny community will be there day one
This is a tough first quarter the only gurantee is both Capcom and Square Enix will report no matter how successful launch weeks KH3 and RE2 Remake failed to meet expectations

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
LOL @ "Unless you count Game Pass downloads". A subscription service like GamePass subsidizes First Party costs eliminating games bombing from purely a traditional game sales perspective. And that's not even getting into GaaS multiplayer component of Crackdown that will be used for further monetization. Some of ya'll have to quit thinking outdated when analyzing MS first party games from now on.

I agree but it still blurs how well a game truly performed though. Like if Knack wasn't a launch game, it probably wouldn't have sold millions, enough to get a sequel. If some of these games weren't on games pass, maybe they wouldn't have made a sequel. That can be seen as good or bad. You might get a sequel for a game you like that wouldn't have performed great traditionally, or you can take it the bad way as resources are being spent to make sequels for a game a lot of people didn't truly care for. I guess it all depends on how they look at the metrics for each game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree but it still blurs how well a game truly performed though. Like if Knack wasn't a launch game, it probably wouldn't have sold millions, enough to get a sequel. If some of these games weren't on games pass, maybe they wouldn't have made a sequel. That can be seen as good or bad. You might get a sequel for a game you like that wouldn't have performed great traditionally, or you can take it the bad way as resources are being spent to make sequels for a game a lot of people didn't truly care for. I guess it all depends on how they look at the metrics for each game.
Indeed. How a game truly performs will become less and less relevant to MS service based gaming future. It's about catering to as diverse and broad an audience as possible with new content that ranges from niche to mainstream to maintain and increase subscriptions to their ecosystems of Gold, Game Pass, and xCloud.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Indeed. How a game truly performs will become less and less relevant to MS service based gaming future. It's about catering to as diverse and broad an audience as possible with new content that ranges from niche to mainstream to maintain and increase subscriptions to their ecosystems of Gold, Game Pass, and xCloud.
Unless a game sells incredibly well, in which case they will almost certainly share sales figures for that game. GamePass does indeed do all that you say, but traditional sales are still impactful and desirable to MS. GamePass just gives them an easy out to share better sounding numbers when things aren't so rosy, kind of like "Playstation Family" did for Sony.
MAU and recurrent sales of MTX have changed what "success" looks like, but having the good, old fashioned brand of large up-front sales is still a highly desirable outcome that all companies strive for and boast about.

Also, the gleeful desire for some games to bomb by many posters in here, completely disconnected from reality, is disheartening.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This thread doesn't need to exist. After reading the gamer outrage thread I think we need to start trying to post positive instead of thriving around hate and negativity.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I mean the biggest flop will technically be some big expensive game that gets cancelled. Because that's 0 return on the expenses.

So... Wild maybe? That game is in a void.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
The most interesting thing to reflect on in this thread is that Metroid Prime 4 technically 'was' a flop.

Thank you Retro Reboot

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crackdown 3 will probably take care of the 2019 bomb of the year early

The Division has a huge playerbase, even if they nly pull half of the original's playerbase back it won't be the flop of the year.

Anthem will do worse then expected but if Battlefront 2 didn't flop I don't think Anthem will either since it's still going to pull a chunk of players that love Destiny and those that wanted to ike Destiny but wanted a third person Destiny and then there will also be a chunk of Warframe and former Warframe regualrs.

Rage2 will likely do far better then some people expect. I actually think a chunk of Destiny players will gravitate to Rage2. Given the timing, I only think Sonic team racing is releasing around the time and if what they're rolling out as some form of co-op is decent and the game has pretty much no microtransactions, by May people will be begging for something fair and fun and Rage2 plus some good reviews will be a an optimal option. No games media person that's gone hands on with Rage2 has said it was even mediocre. They've all said it's FUN. Aside from that the little bit of the jungle environment gameplay is pretty refreshing and so different from the wasteland sand that's been shown so far and it makes me want to see what else is in the game.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah February. The best time to reflect on the year that was.

UY5Key7wStXT64lTe5FKHVt9IRLffwlRz5681yVhsJs.jpg

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I dont think they will be the biggest flops since they likely dont have a big enough budget to compete for it, but I'm gonna say either daemon x machina or astral chain. New nintendo IPs usually dont do that well. Astral chain has the platinum curse going for it, and daemon x machina will flop because people are expecting it to be a way different game than it actually is.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm doubling down on Days Gone after that atrocious wedding trailer. The character animation and cutscene transitions are a generation behind. Looks garbo.

Also the story and setting are derivative trash

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
crack3 probably takes the cake even this early on, although Anthem already looks like it's an honorable mention.

Feel like Dreams will flop financially, although I hope it sells 3-4m. 😔

Oct 25, 2017
When we saying biggest flop is that critically or commercially cuz some of these picks the most out of touch shit I've ever seen

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony haven't even released any numbers for Spider-Man yet, so there's nothing to disprove what I wrote in my post. The fact that they're being so tight-lipped and quiet in regards to Spider-Man's sales makes that last line declaration look like it's right on the money more than anything.
this post and the one from the flop thread is some funny shit. All that's missing is the dig you grave scrubs gif

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown 3 being a flop implies anyone expected it to do big numbers. Did people expect that? Didn't we all know it was going to be a commercial bust? To me, the biggest flop would be a game like Anthem that had incredibly high expectations and might really wreck a studio if it doesn't do well enough. I think Microsoft is just happy to kick CD3 out the fucking door, lol.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I think the backwards hat isn't an attachment. They can't take it off because it is the head.

I even watched the awful mini-documentary where the creative director is desperately trying to convince everyone the game isn't just some love letter to really shitty television shows that arrived ten years too late.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Day's Gone is one Sony first party exclusive that I'm fully indifferent towards, but I don't understand why people think it will flop.

It won't.

It will be a success both in the critical and commercial sense. I think Sony has earned enough trust for it's flagship first party.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Crackdown 3 isn't a flop until Microsoft releases those Gamepass stats. (Edit; ^ lol) They're going for a different release strategy here, I don't think they care too much about sales, so much as GamePass subs and downloads. They turned a clunker into a loss leader, solid car salesman tactic if it pans out.

Anthem is a GaaS so jury's out on that until the playerbase dries up. PS4 hasn't had a major exclusive in a hot minute so Days Gone might do okay although I still think it just looks like TWD and SoA had a midlife crisis baby. Rage 2 might actually do okay if people are itching for a new game in May and all these big open world titles underwhelm.

Control is the game I'm the most worried about seeing drowned out. I love Remedy.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If an brand new $60 game have to rely on $10 per month service to pad it's numbers, its a flop.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By this Gamepass logic, MS can never release a flop then. Where is the bar set if Crackdown 3 isn't a flop.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Even with Gamepass, CD3 is a flop, the game had something like 5 studios work on it and probably 6+ years of active development, which didn't go well. It would have been an expensive game and not one that'll keep someone subscribed to Gamepass.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
By this Gamepass logic, MS can never release a flop then. Where is the bar set if Crackdown 3 isn't a flop.
They beat the system 😮

how can a netflix film flop? Bright sucks but it did great, Mute's terrible but who knows how it did? I think Crackdown 3 is a cult classic in the making and it's gonna bomb at retail for sure but calling it a flop a week out is burying it while its still alive

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Are we talking critically, commercially or both? If we're talking commercially, are we accounting for budgets or just looking at lowest sales?

I think Anthem might be the biggest flop. Bioware has been working on it for a very long time, critical reception has been tepid at best and it will likely sell below expectations.

Crackdown 3 is also a contender, although I don't think anyone really had high expectations for it to begin with. MS just kind of released it with little to no marketing so they obviously have low expectations as well.

Left Alive. Doubt that's that expensive to make compared to some other games though.

Left Alive is a AA game with minimal marketing. It will probably be profitable with under 2 million sales.