• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Resident Evil 2 Remake marks the death of the franchise. This isn't 1998, proper survival horror isn't in vogue anymore. The kids want explosions and set pieces now.

This is an interesting take. Game isn't getting a ton of hype, but I think it does well. I have never played any RE and don't really play any horror games at all, but I am eyeing this as my first dive into the genre.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't bet against Rage 2 (Or pretty much any Bethesda title)doing horribly.

What gives you any confidence to say this? Pretty much every Bethesda published game in the last 2 years has disappointed. Rage 2 doesn't look like it will reverse the trend. Doom is probably the only solid entry in recent memory.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Omg... people really out here predicting days gone and anthem will flop

Anyway I was about to say Bayonetta 3 or Daemon X Machina, but I realised that both likely have very low budgets and even a small amount of sales could be considered successful.

Odd pick but I think ninjala

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Crackdown 3 will brag about a bunch of players but no one is gonna buy it
Microsoft will continue pushing their extremely weird and twisted "records" to make it seem better than it is.
"Record broken: 1,000,000,000 buildings destroyed in only one week!" "biggest amount of destruction in a videogame in 2019" etc

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem has my vote. I worry it will be a hollow experience with a thin veneer of story holding things together with an endless grind fest for gear to drive MX. I guess there is an audience for that and it will still sell millions, but I think it gets middling reviews and sales below EA expectations.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Control. I bet most of you people forgot about it until you read this post.

Honorable mention to Dreams, because it's gonna super bomb but at least it's also gonna become a cult hit.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what sales insiders like Benji and MatPiscatella think about the predictions in this thread?

Sometimes games that sell few units end up profitable and above a company's expectations, and sometimes a game can make the top 10 sellers of the year and disappoint terribly.

'Flop'is just incredibly subjective and relates to either inconsistent or unknown expectations.

So, shrug.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Anthem will botch the launch, but ultimately not flop like the originally Destiny. So if anything, Dreams will probably flop, even though it'll probably turn out real well. I'm hyped for Metro but I'm doubtful of its chances to not flop.

I am convinced Days Gone is going to find an audience that is outside the normal resetera user base. Basically a silent majority that likes motorcycles, zombies, and old school "badasses"

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Unfortunately heavy promotion sells games...

Anthem with a bullet, beautiful visuals, unoriginal gameplay, tripe story, Microsoft's Destiny clone no one asked for. It will get the same kind of success Destiny 2 has, just does the job, nothing special.

Honorable mentions: Control, Biomutant, Rage 2, Division 2.

Days Gone will do fine, besides the graphics, zombies and survival story will swallow the walking dead fanbase at least

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Crackdown 3, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Not cause I want to play it, I just wish nothing would bomb.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Anthem will bomb review wise but will sell pretty well. Bioware depends on it so fingers crossed.

Edit: I see a lot of people mentioning Days Gone but I highly doubt it. That game has a big appeal to the casual audience, almost feels like an Ubisoft game in that regard. I have no doubts Sony will be happy with the game's performance.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah what is up with the Day's Gone pessimism? It looks like a really interesting game that's going to have that Sony Exclusive polish.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
To add to my previous post on the titles in this thread, Anthem is 100% not going to flop. People are gonna be eating lots of crow on that one. And I can't wait for the guy who said REmake 2 to reply to me, lol.

Microsoft will continue pushing their extremely weird and twisted "records" to make it seem better than it is.
"Record broken: 1,000,000,000 buildings destroyed in only one week!" "biggest amount of destruction in a videogame in 2019" etc

Jesus Christ, dat post history. As said by many people already, Game Pass day one release means CD3 is not going to flop. Look at Forza Horizon 4 (best selling Forza Horizon despite launching on Game Pass), SoT (Rare's best selling title to date), and SoD2 (as I explained in my previous post). Why would Crackdown be different? No need to be salty.

Control. I bet most of you people forgot about it until you read this post.

Honorable mention to Dreams, because it's gonna super bomb but at least it's also gonna become a cult hit.

Shit, you're 100% right, lmao. I forgot about that game despite loving Remedy. Control is a definite candidate for flop of the year. Should've kept the Max Payne IP, guys.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Of the few big, announced games that we know, probably Dreams. The elevator pitch for that game is just... not great. Or I haven't heard a great one, yet.

Although lol, whoever mentioned Control, I had to edit this post because that may actually be the correct answer.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Ghost of Tsushima selling poorly, and I don't want it to - it looks really artistically gorgeous, but not necessarily that fun.

If the pitch is "The Witcher 3, but no fantasy or sci-fi elements and it's in early medieval Japan," I'm worried that it'll have a tough time getting the WRPG audience OR a big Japanese audience.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Flops are completely subjective based on expectations and resources put in. Incidentally, those are two factors we don't have a good grasp on until after the fact when it is revealed in interviews or financial briefings that a game did not sell as well as expected.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Anthem without a doubt.

Bioware fans are probably going to hate it
It's going to be compared to destiny
EAs terrible reputation at the moment is hurting most of their games
It isn't blowing anyone away right now

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem, Dreams, Days Gone, Death Stranding and Rage 2 are all prime candidates for the bomba title

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
anthem, rage 2 and dreams might do badly. I dont think Sony will let Days gone or Death Stranding fail, they will market those games out the asshole the closer they get to release.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I have played Anthem and anyone who thinks it will flop is in for a surprise. Willing to take bets on it.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think Rage 2 is the most likely, especially with it being held off of Steam

Anthem will be a hit

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Rage 2

Published by Bethesda who have a dreadful reputation and keep shitting the bed.

Not on Steam.

Is on the Bethesda launcher.

First game sold poorly.

Will probably have no reviews at launch due to Bethesda publishing.

Comes out in the middle of Summer.

giphy.gif

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether you like it or not, traditional metrics determining a game's success by sales alone no longer applies to the subscrption based services Microsoft is pushing.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
I haven't been impressed with a EA game for many years so I will says ANTHEM, sadly

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, realistically Rage 2 is the prime candidate right now. It might do okay on consoles, but it's no Fallout in terms of getting people to download the bethesda launcher on PC. and the first one didn't do well.

Metro would be a relatively safe second bet - but that depends more on the expectations for the game on the devs' part.

Anthem's gonna do fine at launch, but will live or die on its continuing content, same (or at least similar to) Destiny.

I honestly haven't seen any real hype for Days Gone, but I'm sure the PS4 sell-through numbers will help it to some extent - but IMO it depends moreso on if/when TLOU2 release date gets announced.

SaintJonathan

Jun 5, 2018
people saying days gone are deluded.

you really think a sony exclusive is going to commercially flop? with that marketing machine behind them?

literally the only sony exclusive to flop so far was gravity rush 2 and that was entirely because noone even knew the game existed

Hey how's The Order doing?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Days gone seems like the easiest pick at this point. Multiple delays, from an unproven studio, etc. Zombies are still big business so it may be okay. Just nothing like Spiderman or gow

Days Gone confirmed success in this case. Your Sony related prediction history isn't the best, lol.

Bend is not an unproven studio. They have a good classic and portable portfolio, there's currently no reason to believe they wont carry that success over to the console market.

Days Gone hasn't recived multiple delays. Just one for roughly two months.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what sales insiders like Benji and MatPiscatella think about the predictions in this thread?
I imagine they'll be laughing at the Anthem, The Division 2 and Days Gone shouts.

For vita sure but this ain't the vita! Lower standards for sure for portable games
You're honestly making it worse for yourself.

Bend has made more than Vita games. I mean Days Gone... seriously that is your pick? You're gonna fall on your sword for this one as well?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I could see Ghost of Tsushima selling poorly, and I don't want it to - it looks really artistically gorgeous, but not necessarily that fun.

If the pitch is "The Witcher 3, but no fantasy or sci-fi elements and it's in early medieval Japan," I'm worried that it'll have a tough time getting the WRPG audience OR a big Japanese audience.

I dunno, that can go either way. How many western (or Japanese for that matter) gamers know a lot about or care about semi-accurate ancient Egypt? And yet, that completely alien culture did not deter people from loving AC Origins.
I know, it's AC, a hugely successful franchise, as opposed to a new IP, but still, the cultural unfamiliarity may not harm the game too much (or can even be appealing).

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey how's The Order doing?
http://www./game/73107/the-order-1886/
https://www.mweb.co.za/games/view/t...-sales-success-shows-reviews-dont-matter.aspx
https://wccftech.com/ready-at-dawn-ceo-the-order-1886-sales/
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/uk-chart-the-order-1886-shoots-to-first/1100-6425454/

Pretty well. The game was undoubtedly utter garbage, but thanks to the Sony hype machine, it sold more than enough copies to be labelled "not a flop" and more in line of "success."

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Sonic racing. The characters don't have enough appeal, they should have stuck with the full Sega cast. They have also left it far too long since transformed, and lost the momentum /positive traction they had from transformed.