• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Not going to happen. They'll point to old games being available on PSNOW, and that's it.

PS3 will be especially difficult since it was such a unique architecture.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I have about 0.9% Hope.
It would honestly be lower, but i really really really wanna have BC

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
PSNow is their solution for backwards compatibility. The full list of day one PS4 compatibility is still unknown.

I would imagine at the showcase there will be some new announcements on both fronts, but I doubt we'll know a whole lot until very close to launch, and they'll announce the situation in a hidden blog post.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
0% LOL
Sony simply doesn not believe that supporting these games will bring a commercial return to them.
PS4 BC is important to try to lock current customers into the ecosystem instead.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
1 and 2 are easy to do, but 3 is impossible.

I also think Sony doesn't want that. They want to push PS Now for that.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
El Zilcho.

kTEsGY3.jpg

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
If Sony's been holding this ace up their sleeves all this time then this Wednesday is the time for them to pull it out IMO. This has been debated to death for years and the latest web page blurb from Ubisoft brought the topic back to the forefront. So the question is, do you think Sony will announce PS1/PS2/PS3 BC on Wednesday in some way shape or form? It could be disc based, PSN download based and/or PS Now based. Do you think it'll happen and if it does what form will it take?

Or do you think this Wednesday would not be the time to talk about it, assuming such a BC program exists?

EDIT: I would love having a console that could play all of the PlayStation collection.

Jul 1, 2020
That line about PS5's audio chip being similar to PS3's SPUs makes me think that someone at Sony has at least thought about it. They will eventually have to replace those PS3 based PSNow server blades with something or just drop PS3 from the service entirely.

Third Strike

Nov 11, 2017
The PS2 rereleases on the PS4's PSN store will probably be the only PS2 games that will natively plan on the PS5. Maybe they'll announce that they will add more titles to the lineup, and if we were really lucky, maybe bringing over the PS1 Classics from the PS3/PSP/PSV to the PS5, but that's highly unlikely.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it already handled through PSNow? I expect that to continue and hopefully strengthen. The way Nintendo switch handles it is perfect for me

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm missing a poll :( I like one-sided polls, makes me feel like I have a chance of getting it right. But yea, they've pretty clearly messaged that it's not coming - and it's never seemed like a priority.

PS Vita BC, though...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason why Microsoft is marketing their console as being the "most compatible" or whatever.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
They already said that they offer BC through PS Now, that won't change. Maybe they will add PS1 games there as well...

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's just as likely PS5 will have BC with Sega-CD and play HD-DVDs and pull double duty as an automated roomba style vacuum.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If that were true this thread wouldn't exist.

I thought that kind of sarcasm in here would be funny. I will clarify that yes it's incredibly embarrassing that both Sony and Nintendo are so horrible about keeping their past games alive while Microsoft is giving free 4k updates to OG Xbox games that will boot on a new console 20 years later. I sadly think there is 0 chance Sony will do it this gen especially when everyone can't stop talking about how excited they are for the demon souls remake coming to PS5. I am not saying a remake shouldn't be happening, but to me Sony is thinking can't give them a better version of the old when we want them to buy the new. That's just my hot take on the situation

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The depressing talk here makes me think I should buy the digital edition. I've essentially been all digital all generation but somehow I assumed PS5 would get legacy BC and then I would need the disc drive. If it won't have BC then I'll rather get the DE since it looks better.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I don't know if they will or not, but it sure feels silly knowing that they could *easily* support us using the PSX/PS2 titles we've purchased on PSN over the years, and they currently don't.