• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With the announcement that Sony would be skipping E3 this year they said:

"We will build upon our global events strategy in 2020 by participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe. Our focus is on making sure fans feel part of the PlayStation family and have access to play their favorite content. We have a fantastic line up of titles coming to PlayStation 4, and with the upcoming launch of PlayStation 5, we are truly looking forward to a year of celebration with our fans."

So what do you think they've got planned? I'm thinking hundreds of manned kiosks setup around the world in stores and maybe other places, just like they did with the PSVR, but on a far larger scale. You'll be able to try out the DS5, experience the power of the PS5 and 3D audio via headphones in a quick session, which should help a lot of people who might have been on the fence about jumping to next gen.

I'm sure there will be tons of other fan expos and stage shows as well, but I think these manned kiosks will add up to hundreds of events.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
They will show up to the various lunches I have invited them to so we can talk about the Legend of Dragoon remake

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Assuming it's not PR speak, it probably just means hundreds of small events around the world.

As well as any other big event that is not E3

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they will be participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Maybe similar to the PSVR demo kiosks they had on set days at BestBuy. I thought it was really cool to have a demo with a Sony Rep to explain the benefits.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem that difficult to interpret. They will participate in hundreds of consumer events across the globe.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a code for them getting out of the consumer electronics business. RIP Playstation.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
lol, but hundreds of events do not exist. So this has got to be something they're going to be doing. The question is what will that something be?

On the lead up to the PS4 didn't they do a bunch of portable demo stations around the world? I imagine that plays a role in what they're talking about.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Probably exactly what it states. They'll probably be sending a bunch of their exclusive games or games that they have exclusive marketing rights for out to different events where gamers can get on a line to play the demo of whatever games. This can go for different events like PAX, NYCC etc. Last year they had Iron Man VR and Predator Hunting Grounds @ NYCC(along with a statue of Sam from Death Stranding that people could take pictures with.). So, they'll probably be doing things like that across the globe at different events. It can also mean that for various events such as GDC, TGS and all of those game shows where different things get announced, that Sony could possibly announce a game or two at different game conferences. They can also bring back 'Road to Greatness' and possibly do another worldwide tour or something for gamers/consumers.

However, I don't think this means they won't have State of Plays or (maybe) a PSX within this year.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are being literal. Didn't they do roadshows for PSVR?

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
"consumer events across the globe" is an incredibly vague term. Hundreds of whatever you want to fit in that description could easily exist.

Yup, that's why I'm thinking the manned kiosk thing makes sense. It builds upon what they did with the PSVR and when all is said and done tens of thousands of people will get a chance to try out the PS5 before launch. If it's a great experience then the positive word of mouth will spread extremely quick.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
They'll count tournaments and smaller conventions I bet.

This too. I know Sony has sponsored events like SFV Tournaments and other fighting games so this will likely go under that 'consumer events' umbrella. I don't think they were being literal in terms of the number but there's a lot of "consumer events" that they can be at.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Likely this includes all the random pop-up displays at shopping malls and airports that they seem to love doing.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
How small do you think the planet is? There are always events in some part of the world, probably in the tens of thousands directly related and hundreds of thousands tangentially related to gaming.

Hey if you've got a list then I'd be happy to see it :)

I tried doing a search to figure out how many gaming related events there are globally each year but it doesn't seem like anyone's really compiled a proper list.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
lol, but hundreds of events do not exist. So this has got to be something they're going to be doing. The question is what will that something be?
Are you sure? All over the world, over the course of the year, you don't think there's a hundred video game consumer events where Sony might have a booth?

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
10 Events in London. 2 Between Scotland and the benighted North. The land of my fathers can go whistle. Disabled peeps could watch E3, not so easy to roll up to whatever Sony thinks will replace it -_-

Oct 27, 2017
I think it means Sony are gonna walk out on stage, dick in hand, and tell the crowd to suck it because Sony bought the Silent Hill IP and are bringing Silent Hills back exclusively for PS5.

Or it means they'll appear at trade shows, put up kiosks, appear at fighting game tourneys etc.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Are you sure? All over the world, over the course of the year, you don't think there's a hundred video game consumer events where Sony might have a booth?

Not that I've been able to find based on my searches. Like I said above, if anyone is able to point me towards a list then I'd be happy to take a look :)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Some guy in a Sony polo setting up a table at a student center at a college probably counts as an "event".

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea how you'd get such a list, they're run by different companies and bodies but if you think that every major city will have at least one consumer electronics event a year then it's really not a stretch to assume that Sony will try and have a presence.

Wiki has this list but I have no idea how extensive it is: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gaming_conventions

And there we go, thank you. I stand corrected, there are potentially hundreds of events globally they could participate in :)

Still, I think the koisk thing is probably what they're going to be doing.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Some PS5 reveal event with some select theater screenings that have some free swag involved. I think they did that back in 2014 for E3.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Basically anything where they're showing off PlayStation products to the public is probably considered a consumer event to them. Kiosks, demonstrations, launch parties, a handful of conventions, etc. So "consumer events" is just a broad and vague term for them to fit it all in.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't have to be gaming focused, I went to a technology exhibition once and they had loads of PlayStation stuff alongside 3DTVs and VR tech demos. I'm not even in the industry, just living in a major city means you're exposed to a huge variety of conferences and expos you didn't know existed. For example, if you're in a big city, I bet you'll have one about cement.

What is this malarkey...

Well I'll be...

😲

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking since Sony is transitioning to a third party publisher that they will be showing off some of the first party ports at Nintendo and MIcrosoft's events.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Well I figure they mean they'll either:
A) be participating in a lot of small local expos, not just the big ones.
B) be setting up there own demo stations in shopping centres around the world.
C) be doing a combination of both the above.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Big PlayStation meeting sometime this year, hold viewing parties in hundreds of theatres around the world like they've done for conferences in the past, each is an "event" = hundreds of events.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A "consumer event" to a company the size of Sony can mean dozens of different scenarios so it's not outrageous for their extremely-well-funded-PR-team to come up with that claim and their extremely-well-funded-legal-team to sign off on it as airtight.

A "consumer event" can be anything from a kiosk at a mall or Best Buy to PR reps showing up on a local morning AM radio/tv show across dozens and dozens of US markets to doing a booth at Tokyo Gameshow.