• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
In Injustice comics after Superman kills the Joker, we are treated to this conversation between Superman and Batman

batman-loves.jpg

batman-loves-2.jpg

So I think this was a pretty hilarious thing to say and he was probably speaking through grief. I mean, what about all the villains Superman and Batman himself doesn't kill? Does it mean they love them too?

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly did the Joker do to the Superman, to end up blaming Batman that he allowed it?

Also, are they both siblings in these comics? They look identical.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Superman and WonderWoman are pretty much different characters in that universe by design.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of the metawankery being applied to actual character dynamics, at least, in the way some writers and fandoms do it.

The Joker loving Batman thing I think plays okay, even it's getting way old at this point, but trying to force logic onto series that run for 50+ years into character development just doesn't work.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
What exactly did the Joker do to the Superman, to end up blaming Batman that he allowed it?

These are images from the Injustice comic (which is a prequel to the game) where the backstory is that Joker kidnapped Lois who just became pregnant and when Superman came to rescue her he was exposed to kryptonite-enhanced fear toxin which made him see Lois as Doomsday, Superman ended up killing Lois and his unborn child by taking them to space plus Lois heart was linked to a bomb that destroyed Metropolis

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
These are from Injustice where the backstory is that Joker kidnapped Lois who just became pregnant and when Superman came to rescue her Joker gave him a kryptonite enhanced Fear Toxin whihc made him see Lois as Doomsday, Superman ended up killing Lois and his unborn child by taking them to space by mistake plus Lois heart was linked to a bomb that destroyed Metropolis

Wow, OK, thanks.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Batman doesn't love the Joker, he feels responsible for the Joker

The Joker, however, does love Batman. It's a reason why Harley Quinn hated Batman for so long

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These are images from the Injustice comic (which is a prequel to the game) where the backstory is that Joker kidnapped Lois who just became pregnant and when Superman came to rescue her he was exposed to kryptonite-enhanced fear toxin which made him see Lois as Doomsday, Superman ended up killing Lois and his unborn child by taking them to space by mistake plus Lois heart was linked to a bomb that destroyed Metropolis
Imagine the amount of force Supes uses to punch Doomsday and instead he uses that on Lois. Her body would fuckin' explode

Oct 25, 2017
Superman suddenly developing a murder boner after him usually trying his best to reason with people and not hurt them is why I am so tired of evil superman.

The same thing could be said for all of his villains before Superman decided to punch Joker in the chest, unless in this universe Superman was always murdering people.

Never forget in the game Superman basically melted a hole in a child's brain when he killed Shazam.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Superman is emotionally devastated and he's just freaking out and that's the spirit it should be taken in.

But also whatever that's like an interpretation you will see in some mainstream comics. They usually don't mean in terms of romantic love its like shorthand for spiritual connection.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Pretty sure no one takes Injustice seriously.
Unfortunately some do.

I've even had people tell me that is the most realistic version of Superman.

As for the scene itself, Clark is grieving. I am never going to tell someone that they are wrong in their grief.

The problem is that he is Superman. And he can do horrific things in his grief. Injustice is interesting because of that.

The problem with the story overall is that Superman should never actually act like that. I can buy him killing the Joker because The Joker kills Lois.

What they can't buy is that the Man of Tomorrow would suddenly changed his entire worldview because of the death of a loved one.

Injustice's Superman can be forgiven for his initial actions, but he cannot be forgiven for the rest

Oct 25, 2017
The Injustice comics ate maybe like the only fun cracked mirror version of Superman because they take some time to set it up and inciting action is so hilariously traumatic that you kind of go okay fine

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Tom Taylor takes a stupid premise and runs with it. If you haven't read Injustice, it's far, far better than it has any right to be.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Superman suddenly developing a murder boner after him usually trying his best to reason with people and not hurt them is why I am so tired of evil superman.

The same thing could be said for all of his villains before Superman decided to punch Joker in the chest, unless in this universe Superman was always murdering people.

Never forget in the game Superman basically melted a hole in a child's brain when he killed Shazam.
The point of Superman is that he never breaks in fact

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Unfortunately some do.

I've even had people tell me that is the most realistic version of Superman.

As for the scene itself, Clark is grieving. I am never going to tell someone that they are wrong in their grief.

The problem is that he is Superman. And he can do horrific things in his grief. Injustice is interesting because of that.

The problem with the story overall is that Superman should never actually act like that. I can buy him killing the Joker because The Joker kills Lois.

What they can't buy is that the Man of Tomorrow would suddenly changed his entire worldview because of the death of a loved one.

Injustice's Superman can be forgiven for his initial actions, but he cannot be forgiven for the rest

Tell these people to read Kingdom Come Superman.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure no one takes Injustice seriously.

In the sense that it's non-canon, sure, but Injustice overall is a great story. Harley in particular has some of her best moments in any story in it.

Bruce and Clark have always been depicted as fairly similar looking, to the point that they've impersonated one another's civilian identities at times to allow Bruce and Batman or Clark and Superman to be seen in the same place at the same time.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These are images from the Injustice comic (which is a prequel to the game) where the backstory is that Joker kidnapped Lois who just became pregnant and when Superman came to rescue her he was exposed to kryptonite-enhanced fear toxin which made him see Lois as Doomsday, Superman ended up killing Lois and his unborn child by taking them to space plus Lois heart was linked to a bomb that destroyed Metropolis
That's a bit convoluted a plot. Is this a Miller plot? As it is a bit:"and then, and then, and then,...". Like a toddler telling about their father taking them to the zoo.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of the metawankery being applied to actual character dynamics, at least, in the way some writers and fandoms do it.

The Joker loving Batman thing I think plays okay, even it's getting way old at this point, but trying to force logic onto series that run for 50+ years into character development just doesn't work.

Exactly.

None of it makes sense anyway

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

what the fuck

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Superman is mad with grief from Lois's dead. Don't take what he's saying seriously, it's not supposed to be face-value writing.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing so much at this. It's so ridiculously tragic. I was about to ask if they killed his puppy too and then you post they killed Jimmy, hahaha.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Why do people think Injustice is stupid? It's not really any dumber than your average comic book story.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's any real commentary Superman is emotionally devastated and is just lashing out

I doubt Tom Taylor is really painting batman as secretly loving Joker (though Joker in his own twisted way loves batman) it's Injustice Superman just being angry

Batman even says you know it's not true to emphasize Superman is just saying shit because he's angry

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
While it probably isn't in the comic, Batman is most definitely the average white person dream mentality that they can dress up and go beat up the baddies they have 0 idea of how they look like. Of course he loves the Joker, it's a big part of the fantasy.

The real actual baddies have families and come from low income, system discrimination, situations in which organized crime replaced the state (like in poor regions of the world, including some of the west), and straight up desperate situations. Things Bruce Wayne doesn't know and tries to wipe away by doing charity (from his mind).

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
What about that one time Joker went to start shit in Metropolis, Superman stops his plans and then Batman says it was a test and Supes failed it.

Or something along those lines, Superman says next time the Joker will return to Gotham in a casket, again, something along those lines.

Batman not getting a handle on the Joker never sat well with me. Shitheel keeps coming back one way or another.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I never bought how easily so many of the heroes in the Injustice universe so readily accepted Superman's fascist, authoritarian rule. Even worse, they went along and helped install Superman as the defacto tyrannical ruler of Earth. If all it took was one tragedy (it was a rather big tragedy, but still) for half the heroes in the Injustice universe to go full villain, then Earth should have been under the heel of the heroes much sooner since I'm sure there were other villains that tried to pull similar acts of villainy like the Joker did.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While it probably isn't in the comic, Batman is most definitely the average white person dream mentality that they can dress up and go beat up the baddies they have 0 idea of how they look like. Of course he loves the Joker, it's a big part of the fantasy.

'Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?' kinda-sorta-but-not-quite-but-sorta broaches that in one of the stories.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Injustice comic so much. It's the dumbest concept ever, and Taylor owned it. It's almost as if he asked, "So with these Kryptonian nanite pills, would that let Alfred beat up Superman?" And someone said, "Yeah, I guess so?" and then he wrote this. Freaking perfect.