• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Recently built a PC for my fiancee. It's white with the RGB lights set to purple. She loves it.

For my PC I turn off as much as I can. I even took off the dumb plastic shroud that the motherboard had over the IO and VRMs.

I guess the one RGB setup that I've been tempted to try is to get an old beige PC case, and build something modern in it and have the lights set to look like old amber colored LEDs.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
My general PC and gaming PC both have it

it's okay and I don't really mess with it - using the default color

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that lights up on my PC are the little purple LEDs on my case fans.

I don't need or want any light other than that coming from my computer (besides like, LED indicators and the monitor, of course).

Oct 27, 2017
Personally i always found RGBs tacky turn off every RGB on my PC and peripherals that come with it though i turn it on my keyboard when the room gets dark of course to see the lettering clearly that serves a purpose, even then it's just a static colour not random colours flashing

I'd guess the majority of people here likes the RGBs that's fine, there's RGB in everything nowadays even mouse bungees that's crazy lol wonder what they'll come up with next
giphy.gif
I work in the gaming industry and I swear I'm the only one on the team that thinks this shit is lame and corny looking. Everyone else loves it.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I try to avoid as much as possible. Hunted down a meshing case without windows and loaded it up with ugly brown noctua fans.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I avoided it in my new PC, but I have a RGB keyboard (which is on my other computer now) and I really miss it going back to my old mechanical keyboard without any lighting. For a keyboard, it's surprisingly helpful and looks pretty slick.

I have no interest in my PC case glowing, I don't find it incredibly gauche but I wouldn't bother even if I had decided to get the PC with the side glass panel like I had originally intended.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think RGB is fun. My CPU cooler, GPU, RAM and motherboard all have some.

I can't figure out how to use any of the software, though, so my PC just has a bunch of rainbow unicorn lights lol. I actually like the colors, so I don't mind, but it would be neat to be able to control it.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Not for me. My keyboard and mouse light up, but mouse you can't see when it's in your hand, and the keyboard is just for typing in the dark.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I like cases with a glass panel to show the internals. LED is very nice to make it more visible in a dark room.
But just 1 color though, rainbow just looks stupid.
My keyboard is a Logitech G413, which is red backlit, so that's what I use for my case as well.

I also prefer a simple LED strip over RGB fans. Don't like the look of that round RGB shape

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I mean for me personally, that shit is tacky and gaudy as fuck, but if you are into it, hey, do you. I'm not going to go inside someone's house and talk shit about the skittles PC they made, but I'm just not going to do that myself.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I like it on my keyboard. Not on the rainbow-animated mode, but I like it lit up in a single colour to see the keys out of my peripheral vision easier. I vary up the colour between white, yellow, and light-blue.

In the PC case I've turned off the RGB. Honestly it's a gimmick. I don't even look inside the tempered glass, I might as well have just got a solid case tbh.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I'm of the firm opinion that my electronics should be out of site and (more importantly) out of earshot. to that end, i keep everything (pc as well as consoles) in a 19" rack in a separate room from my play space. To that end, i don't actively work to turn off RGB elements, but I do think that they are gaudy and in poor taste in most implimentations.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to forget that you can just set it to your favourite color rather than have it in rainbow mode.

And, please, use OpenRGB. Don't use the malware from Corsair etc.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I don't like LEDs. I use plain case fans, turn off any lights I can and even cover up any that are too bright, like the blinding white LED on my external hard drive.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My feelings on something that doesn't really affect anyone else is:

DO WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT AND MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to forget that you can just set it to your favourite color rather than have it in rainbow mode.

And, please, use OpenRGB. Don't use the malware from Corsair etc.

WARNING!

This project interacts directly with hardware using reverse engineered protocols. While we do our best to make sure we're sending the right data, there is always some risk in sending data to hardware when we don't understand exactly how that hardware works.

There have been two instances of hardware damage in OpenRGB's development and we've taken precautions to prevent it from happening again.

• The MSI Mystic Light code reportedly bricked the RGB on certain MSI boards when sending certain modes. This code has been disabled and MSI Mystic Light motherboards will not work with OpenRGB at this time.
  • There were reports of bricked Gigabyte Aorus Z390 motherboards caused by dumping SMBus address 0x68 in an attempt to reverse engineer the RGB. Due to this, the SMBus Tools page on OpenRGB is hidden by default now as it has no real use to non-developers. Additionally, the RGB Fusion 2 SMBus code is disabled by default because, although it works on boards it is meant for, probing this address (0x68) could damage Gigabyte Z390 boards.
  • To enable the MSI Mystic Light or Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2 SMBus code, you must uncomment the functions in main.cpp and recompile.

This kinda scared me?

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal

This is the impression I'm getting from a lot of the replies here, that rainbow spectrum is the only color scheme that exists in RGB. Addressable colors is RGB's greatest strength. I have a single color set for my entire system and it quite frankly works well.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It can be cool if done well. I have a prism cooler, because it was shipped with my Zen 2 CPU and it actually looks and performs really well, but everything else is just too bland and my tower is positioned in a way to block the look inside.
However, I like my "breath per key" lighting effect on my keyboard.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
This kinda scared me?
The MSI stuff was already fixed (it's just disabled for now for safety but will be re-enabled in the future)

The Gigabyte stuff happened because of using debug features that aren't intended for users in the first place, but rather for developers.

I haven't had any problems using it. If you want to play it safe, wait a few days after a new release before updating to see if there are reports of any issues. Honestly using an "unofficial" program is always a risk, but OpenRGB is pretty robust nowadays.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was hyped about building my first build with it. Now actively avoiding the silliness.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I am more bothered by the people that complain about RGB lighting any time they catch sight of it, than the lighting itself.
Let people enjoy what they want. Don't be such a boomer.

My case is a white Fractal R5 with a solid side panel, and no RGB lighting at all.
It's about as plain, minimalist, and unobtrusive as you could get for a standard ATX case.
https://abload.de/img/pic_dispwdjlb.jpg

My old GPU (1070 Strix) did have RGB lighting though, which put out a subtle orange glow from the vents at the back in its default state, and it did not bother me enough to install ASUS' software to disable it.
The motherboard has some kind of accent lighting too, but I disabled that since it could be done via the BIOS rather than having to install software.
I do have warm RGB lighting at my desk though:
https://abload.de/img/genelec-desk-hxjre.jpg

While I don't personally care for the clear glass side paneled, rainbow neon everywhere look, I still think some of these RGB builds look good.
I'm particularly fond of the look of monochromatic RGB accents, or slight variations in hue, behind a mesh.

Here's a few random builds I pulled off Reddit to show what I mean:

https://abload.de/img/96knvc4ygob61b2jo1.jpg
https://abload.de/img/jur8dl8v7c761pnjoh.jpg

https://abload.de/img/15vpshcas0c614xjz4.jpg
https://abload.de/img/bo27ggo6y4a61c0jmr.jpg
https://abload.de/img/ebntusp33f761brjs7.jpg

https://abload.de/img/kkz28e2cbva61tmj3i.jpg
https://abload.de/img/1mg61daf5fa612fj3t.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
People really into this stuff will look back in 15 years and go
tenor.gif

The whole "pc gamer look" of guy with headphones in a black/red gaming chair and pc case, with "killer/assassin/xtreme" naming conventions for all accessories including a fucking ram stick, it's all so cringey by itself it didn't even need the lights, yet here they are.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The MSI stuff was already fixed (it's just disabled for now for safety but will be re-enabled in the future)

The Gigabyte stuff happened because of using debug features that aren't intended for users in the first place, but rather for developers.

I haven't had any problems using it. If you want to play it safe, wait a few days after a new release before updating to see if there are reports of any issues. Honestly using an "unofficial" program is always a risk, but OpenRGB is pretty robust nowadays.

I saw your post and automatically thought of a friend that had to stop using his Nzxt software because it was freezing his system. But then read the disclaimer and got kinda scared tbh.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If it's all just random rainbow of parts and colors and cables it's tacky/cheap as hell, but can look really nice if care is taken into considering the design and how the layout, parts (RAM, CPU cooler, GPU, Motherboard etc)/case, cable management etc all work together into a cohesive design.

Look at interior design… most people really suck at it and it's just a random collection of different furniture, lighting fixtures, paint colors, textures etc, but if you get a good interior designer, everything in the room works together to create one cohesive feeling. PC building is like that…

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Single color lightning is fine when not overdone. But it's like anything, when they're is too much of it and especially it's a mesh of too much color it's dreadful.

9ec0a3c8d8b31b009dcf73221d90cfdd--desks.jpg

Something like this is fine.

awm15r3nt_cnb_00060rb055_gy.psd

And this too.

Only thing is that with laptops you'd get the insecure "I don't want anyone to know I'm a gamer!" types complaining about something you can turn off.

All the while people still want this back:
OIP.BvZRD9RA4KwwMSzO1OF8rQHaEK

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I dont even have a window on my case just so in the even a piece I buy has RGB I never even see it....I never need to install dumb software to switch it off.
It simply doesnt exist to me.

But no lie this looks cool as fuck.
0oofrfu.gif

DxkiRvq.gif

I like mine in single colour mode.

20201121_144832.jpg

Holy.....this is clean as fuck.
Ive been teasing you about your RGB love but this actually looks good.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
I saw your post and automatically thought of a friend that had to stop using his Nzxt software because it was freezing his system. But then read the disclaimer and got kinda scared tbh.
Lots of people are using OpenRGB and there are 0 reports of bricks nowadays. If an update were to break something, they'd notice within minutes of releasing it and it would be pulled back immediately. You don't really have to worry. You can join their Discord if you want to ask around and reassure yourself about the safety of using it:

Join the OpenRGB Community Discord Server!

Check out the OpenRGB Community community on Discord - hang out with 15263 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Besides, it's not like the manufaturers themselves didn't fuck up from time to time. Using any kind of software to control any kind of hardware is always a risk in itself.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
My motherboard has RGB, my keyboard has and my mouse ... I dig it. Looks nice in the dark.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I looked down on them like any sane person. Then I built my new PC and put fucking RGB everywhere because it has a bloody window so you want it to look nice.

In my defense, its all set to a gentle white rather than full rainbow. In my non-defense, I also got a bloody RGB *power cable* for my GPU and MB that animates..

So the middle ground - you have an increase in aesthetics compared to the old beige sealed-off boxes, so it makes sense to add a dash of pretty. Rainbow puke is probably too much IMO but its all options

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Custom PCs are custom. If people wants to turn them off, having them set to rainbow or single colors, then it's fine either way!

I personally find the rainbow too distracting, but I like the colored lights.

SneakyBeans

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I did a new build with RGB everything. I was planning on having it be like my last build, which only had static blue lights, since I liked the kind of aquarium feel it had. Was going to just set my new build to static single color but I can't get the software to recognize or control anything. Everything is mismatched and it looks like unicorn vomit. I have to turn it off at night to be able to sleep lol

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
While I appreciate the keys of my keyboard being lit, I don't need a glowing PC, and I certainly don't want to spend extra for the "privilege"

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't mind it in moderation or within a cohesive color theme. I have a NZXT H700 case, which has a glass side panel and dark blue trim, so I mainly used blue LEDs to accentuate look. The only exception is my GPU which I set to random as it's kind of a centerpiece to the entire thing.

UHR5Md6.jpg

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the black setup combines very nicely with the white lights of my keyboard and mouse. My case has a glass panel but only the Asus GPU has a small white light.

Honestly I'd like to put some RGB stuff in there. The memory needs to be upgraded in the future so I could get some for more white lights, but I'm a bit hesitant about bloatware for colour picking.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I like RGB strips on the back of my monitor/desk. Nothing too bright, just enough for decent bias lighting. I have my keyboard set to the lowest brightness, nothing crazy.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I'm not into it. I built a new PC that's rotten with it. When i have some free time i'll figure out how to turn most of them off. But like some have said, i think it looks OK on the peripherals like the mouse and keyboard.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only have RGB lights on my mouse (Logitech G502) and my headset (Logitech G633). Three small case fans are permanently blue, but I can't really see them, and intended for them to be accents more than anything else as my case does have a window on it. I run the Logitech stuff as a single colour (red), no animations, and I'm happy with that. I find the rainbow and animations a bit distracting but to each their own.