• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of RE 5

• 10/10 (Amazing)

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • 9/10

Votes: 79 17.1%
  • 8/10

Votes: 154 33.3%
  • 7/10

Votes: 126 27.2%
  • 6/10

Votes: 64 13.8%
  • 5/10 and below

Votes: 32 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
A poor man's Resident Evil 4.
Pretty much.

I feel the co op focus is what holds it back the most. If it was designed as a solo RE4 type of game (like they planned at the start) it would have been way better as a single player game.

At the same time, the co op is great. The issue is that you need friends to make it great and it is not realistic to believe that you can get the guy and girls together whenever you want to play.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played through the game very recently in co-op, and even if some of the mechanics feel a bit dated these days, it's still as great as I remember.

I haven't played it single-player for more than maybe an hour or two.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Took the more arcade elements from re4 and made a greatly replayable experience.

such a good time back in the day.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's incredible just how much better 4 is, I could complete 4 over and over again but I never stuck with 5 until the end and I tried like 3 times or more, it's a very solid game mechanically, but it has absolutely none of that RE4 magic.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Its basically RE4 less successfully re-implemented as a co-op game.

So instead of a terse, balanced single player game, we now have something that's replayable (due to its jump in/jump out onlne co-op play nature), and as such ammo is farmable and shortage is pretty much not a thing.

Playing it as a single player becomes "lets manage the bad AI of my partner-the game" where you usually just utilize your partner as an inventory mule, but purposefully not give him the best weapons/ammo other than the crap that you, the player, doesn't want, since they will just waste that shit and make piss poor decisions. Also, while RE4 traded a lot of the horror for action, RE5 just takes most of what remained away.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my most ever re-played game. For a while it was all I really played, doing solo and co-op runs over and over.

It's a bad Resident Evil, but a good game.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's amazing how much they improved on the core gameplay of RE4, everything is improved and insanely polished, it just feels great to play, they just failed to build a strong campaign around it.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game sandwiched between one of the best games ever and one of the biggest dissapointments ever.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I love this game and think it's the best coop TPS ever made. That said I have always found the reaction to be very interesting as there are some wild swing in how people respond to a game that by all accounts is just a poor version of RE4 which since RE4 is about the best action game ever made still means RE5 is a top tier action game.

Coop is self explanatory, if one plays solo they will have a different experience, many times a frustrating one. I played this game every way, I know how to best control the AI, always have on follow and stay close and give them the smg and that ammo, and treat them like a moving item box. If the AI ruins the experience for someone that will affect their view but that's not a real analysis of the game. So we have a bunch of people angry at the game before they even analyze the levels, the enemies, the combat scenarios, it goes to show how important player comfort is.

What I don't get is people who can play this in coop and think it's poor. Maybe it's my taste in shooters, I do not care for cover shooters. Gears is a fine series, great at many times but the whole jump behind cover and pop and shoot bores me. RE5 continues the RE4 style of making you use the environment and every shot count as your offense and defense. It's an intense kind of TPS that few games manage to replicate and if they do they don't have the variety and level design of RE5. Think of all the wild situations you are put in, the insane variety of environments, the constant stream of new enemies, new weapons, there is something interesting in every room. Much like RE4. So how can you think this game is poor?

I think this just goes to show how delicate the balance of action , level design and pacing is to a game. RE5 is slightly off of RE4 and the reaction is so wildly different. Yeah stages are a little to big, segments go on for a little to long. Bosses are a bit more puzzle like leading to some frustrating moments which are game killers to many players. Everything is off just a little and that little can make something go from greatest action game ever to a 7 or a 6 to some people, that's wild.

Anyway I love it. Loved the story, love all the quality of life changes, mercenaries is the best in the series. This is a top tier RE game to me, a better coop TPS than Gears or whatever other TPS you throw out there.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing i remember about it was the absolutely horrible aiming system. Made me almost drop the game, but i pushed through. It was nothing special to me.

Feb 16, 2020
Don't really even think it's special as a co-op game. I basically played all of the local co-op shooters of the 360 era with my friend and honestly this was one we both shrugged off, despite me being massively into Resident Evil and my friend basically playing anything.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
RE5 is a 6/10 if played solo and an 8/10 if played co-op.

It's also for the most part just a retread of things RE4 already did, except slightly worse.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
An 8. Lots of dumb fun like RE4 but without any of the charm. Thankfully you and a friend (hooray co-op!) can skip the cutscenes and not miss much.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Worst mainline Resident Evil game. Might actually prefer 0. Boring environments, enemies and bosses. It encompasses pretty much everything I hated about the state of gaming at the time.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Good co-op shooter, not so great follow up to one of the greatest survival horror games of all time. Wish the stuff like mirages and temperature mention in early interviews made into the final game.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Much better than 6, inferior to 4. Had a ton of fun with the co-Op though. Also it's racist as shit and that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth these days.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing it recently again. Hadn't played it since launch really. I think it's alright. I'd give it a 7.

I've never played it co-op though, and I'm not really interested in it either.

I'm glad they got rid of the tank controls from 4, at least.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
It's understandable that people would be disappointed by it because of what they want or expect from the RE series, but I think it's like a 9.5/10 in single player and 10/10 in co-op. There's no game with a better co-op campaign.

The graphics hold up, too. In my opinion, playing on PC, it's still one of the best looking games out there. The quality of the character models from an artistic/stylistic standpoint have maybe been matched by other games, but not really surpassed, and the limited polygon/texture budget was so well managed that they still look comparable to newer games. The camera work and overall cutscene direction is still the best there is. The story isn't really all that special, but it's sold really well by quality of the production. It's been a real disappointment to me that other games haven't really been influenced by the quality of the cutscenes in RE5. Even RE6 and RE2 are a step down in terms of camera work.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Resident Evil 5 is a treat, I just replayed it with my brother.
And goddamn is it beautiful, even with that shitty-ass green filter.
People minds must have been blown back then.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
great game. It doesn't quite hit the highs of 4, but it is a GREAT coop game and still retains the RE horror and more importantly the camp...

I mean come on, he punches a boulder.

And Sheva is great and deserves better

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Solid 8.

Beautifully executed, with arguably the best co-op experience out there, some really good gameplay mechanics and combat loop, plus, an incredible amount of polish.

The game falls short in specific areas like level design, enemy encounters/boss fights and sometimes painful to watch cutscenes. Seriously, those clips have an amazing direction, but oh boy, if the dialogue isn't offensively bad.

I still replay it from time to time. It's no RE4 tho it's layers ahead of 6, thankfully.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was my Game of the Generation. Beat it on multiple platforms. Got 100% on the Xbox 360. Always on co-op. Beaten it with four different people I know, and would jump into random games as well. I still plan to play through it a few more times.

Resident Evil 6 was my game of the year for 2012. I only beat it once, though. I plan on playing through it with my wife soon.

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
Playing it co-op with someone at work and it's a blast!

The only thing I hate about the game are the QTEs.

Failed many due to inebriation.

Solid 7.5/10!

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a 7. It's grown on me over the years, but I'm still not a huge fan of the focus and pacing. I do love Sheva, and her character was really well fleshed out compared to most RE characters (if you read the supplementary material).

A fun game, but with a few stronger flaws, and an overall enjoyable experience. Especially in co-op.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb as shit (not in a good way like RE4) and overstays its welcome.

Legit can be fun in Co-op though.

Also Chris punching a boulder and everything about Wesker are legit hilarious.