• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of RE 5

• 10/10 (Amazing)

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • 9/10

Votes: 79 17.1%
  • 8/10

Votes: 154 33.3%
  • 7/10

Votes: 126 27.2%
  • 6/10

Votes: 64 13.8%
  • 5/10 and below

Votes: 32 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it in years but it was a great action game for its time. Some flaws like the inventory system, complete lack of horror, disjointed missions, story and AI but a tight action game with replay value. Had a blast playing through it multiple times both co-op and solo.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
It's one of the worst RE game I've played. But I kinda enjoyed it (but there's not really a RE game I've played that I didn't enjoy at least à little). I'd rate it 5.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer 10/10
The best co-op game of all time.

Singleplayer 7/10
Just barely passable campaign but mercenaries is real good

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I played it around its PC release with a friend and absolutely loved it. Mercenaries was a lot of fun too.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It was a fun co-op playthrough with little creativity and clunky movement/shooting

7/10

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I'll say this... I remember when it was released in 2009 and not being a big fan of it... after revisiting it in the past few years I have found it fun as fuck. I would almost put it in the love category for me. Now, it's something I need to put down after binging it for a bit, but I have a shit ton of fun with it.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
It's a great co-op game.

I'm not a die-hard Resident Evil fan though, so I can't say if it's a good RE or not, but I enjoyed the hell out of playing it.

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's alright. Unfortunately, it follows RE4 and it just can't quite compare. Multiplayer probably is fun but I never got the opportunity for that. For me, 5/10

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sheva should have been the main character, not Chris. She made Chris look like the most boring protag ever. The game was fun in co-op.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
6C5092z.jpg

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I wish it had stuck to its original ideas (single player focus, slimmer Chris, more focus on Jill), but it's still one of my favorite games of all time, and probably the best co-op game of all time.

I just really hate the underground ruins section.

OP
OP

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
It's interesting looking at this thread (79% put RE 5 at a 7 or above) and the RE 6 thread (over 60% put RE 6 at a 6 or below), let alone how people feel about RE 4 (doesn't really even need to be asked tbh). It's not action people are against, it's just that RE 6 was a bloated mess.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
A fun co-op game but a poor man's resident evil 4.

At least it's better than thay trash RE6. Co-op can't save that hot mess.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed it last month, the first time going through alone, first time playing the Gold Edition DLC and right after a replay of Resi 4...

oh boy

I suppose the first thing to mention is that Resi 5 is by no means an actively bad game, it's perfectly solid stuff that has the incredibly strong base of 4 to work with and thus can deliver an enjoyable outing.

The problems come to light for me in that, this is a game that does damn near everything worse than its predecessor, as an iterative sequel it drops so many balls that it's a special case to me where I end up disliking it more than I probably should.

Alright so let me run down some of this in hopefully digestible bullet points...

- I'm gonna start with the tone, because god damn this game is a dry and dour slog on the story front. Everyone is dull as dishwater, it's all played incredibly straight while simultaneously not being scary. Some nutters out there actually dislike Resi 4's quip filled cornball extravanganza and I guess this is what they deserve then to follow that, boring dudes doing boring things, I guess Irving could almost be considered the game's attempt to deliver a zany salazar esque character but he lacks that secret spice and just comes off as desperate injection of quirkiness.

Fortunately DC Douglas tries to pull the save of a lifetime as Wesker, bless his heart, he takes the middling material and makes the best of it, manages to elevate the lategame as a result so props to Weskie.

- Combat balance never felt quite right, with two characters the tension goes out the window as they'll immediately alert you to anyone who might've surprised you, bail you out of enemy grabs, change the health system to have last chance survival stuff and the game's attempt to balance around two players leads to some lesser twists on 4's formula.
Firstly enemies are just a bit more passive even if in greater number, they go down a lot easier for most of the game (for the first half of the game you can just knife it up really), second is that the BIG enemies have to try and balance any one hit death abilities around the fact that your partner (whether CPU or actual human) can get you a game over outside your own power. Notable with chainsaw foes who are now extra tanky to try and compensate for their ten years of windup on actually swinging, instead of fear they inspire tedium more often than not (though there is the fear of "oh god Sheva, please don't stand there like a lemon!)

- co-op adds little, detracts a ton. You know what kind of co-op you're getting here, one guy pulls a switch for the other player and sometimes your path splits slightly so there's some light covering the other player stuff. Otherwise this isn't about to break nay ground in inspired co-op moments, best you'll be getting is one of you holding a lantern or the one of you drives, one of you shoots deal.

- The inventory is a disaster for the lone player especially, there is so much fucking around swapping stuff back and forth with odd limitations on how easily items can be swapped on the fly, it's a flow shattering drag that is doubly impacted by the aforementioned co-op (less space for the solo player and clumsy trying to handle inventory management in real time).
While one could commend the space limitations as really having to make you commit to weapon picks, it's not really as deep as that.
Instead please enjoy Sheva hoovering up handgun ammo even though you've handed her 400 TMP bullets that she ain't about to switch to because you can't actually make her do it seemingly.

- No treasure map? no treasure combos? boring upgrades? da fuck is this? this entire hook just went down the tubes, the merchant would be appalled.

- You spend half the game breaking crates as they need to drop enough ammo for two players

- Man I'm gonna be here all day, quick cleanup round then: bland bosses across the board, cover shooting and gunner plagas, turret sections/turret bosses, dubious native enemies (at least from a gameplay standpoint it's a shake up I suppose), lost in nightmares is a load of nothing ending in pseudo pac man.

But hey, mercs is a fun mode and co-op makes it a bit better so it has its moments, Josh has a sick spear and elbow drop.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 5 is a good game, a great co-op game. It's not just "any game is more fun with friends", Resident Evil 5 has a formula that actually benefits co-op greatly and has a lot of interesting scenarios invented around playing with a friend or other person. There's even some pretty great stand-alone moments in game design through, the combat and enemy variety is fun, and the story has some enjoyable cheesy moments (even if it's pretty simple). The weapon upgrade systems and strategizing your inventory with a partner is surprisingly gratifying. The game is chock-full of unlockables and little secrets.

There are a few iffy moments, specifically the boss battles are a bit uneven with a few of them being quite good, and other ones being some of the low points of the game. Mercenaries in RE5 I've had a lot of fun in, I think RE6 has some better mechanics but I just enjoy RE5's Mercenaries more. A lot of people sleep on the DLC, but I think both Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape are both really fun DLC chapters to play through, and even replay as both have randomized elements that are fun.

I do like Resident Evil 4 as a game more, but I think a lot of people are harsher on RE5 than they should be because of it as RE5 is honestly a pretty good game. Even while I do like RE4 more, I think people who say it's a "pale RE4" miss some of what it does very well, and even a "pale RE4 with co-op" is still a really good game.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I really enjoyed RE5 overall.

-Interesting setting: the bright sun of the African environment was a really great contrast from the generally dark settings of the previous games. I loved the early first tease for the game and, although the final version didn't quite hit that level of fidelity, it was still good.
-RE lore: after RE4 seemed to have more of a loose connection with the overarching RE story, it was nice to pull things back to the larger narrative involving Chris, Jill, the fallout of Umbrella, etc.
-Collectibles/Unlockables: I really enjoyed finding the jewels/artifacts/money to unlock character/monster models. That really added to the replay value for me.
-Great new characters: loved Sheva (bring her back, Capcom!) and Josh. I also liked Excella and wished there was more to her.
-Boulder punching: Boulder punching!

Dislikes
-Forced co-op: It was the first time RE didn't feel like primarily a solo horror experience. Wasn't a fan of that then and not a fan of it going forward. That said: I had some really fun sessions playing co-op with friends. The computer controlled AI was frustrating, though and killed the atmosphere many times.
-Troubling cultural depictions: Although the swamp majini (the Giant ones) freaked me the hell out, the depictions of the other tribal ones rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously Africa still has a good deal of tribes still existing, but do they really need to be portrayed, bones-in-the-septum and all, as spear-chucking targets to shoot down in a video game?
-Once again... Wesker: Look, I know you guys love buttery-smooth talking, shades wearing Albert Wesker. But I really don't. I think he should have started and stopped at being a brilliant young scientist that got corrupted by Umbrella, eventually working his way into the ranks of STARS, and ultimately being a traitorous ego-maniac that gets his just deserts via Tyrant death in RE1. All this Matrix shit, super soldier, spy, gobbledygook garbage starting with CV is just... nah.
-Majini's just kind of felt like Ganados Part II: Remember the end credits for RE4? Man, that made me feel terrible for the poor ganados you end up blasting throughout RE4. It was a legitimate tragic story. Unless I missed a file pick-up or something, I don't recall much of a backstory at all for the majini. It felt like Capcom was just like "Just do Las Plagas again... but in Africa." Not terrible, but just didn't pack the narrative punch for me like it did in RE4.
-No Save Rooms: Since RE5 was the first in the series that had checkpoints, I really, really missed the classic Save Rooms of the series. Not only were they nice to get a reprieve from the horrors of the game, but they always had some of the best music tracks in the series. So glad they came back in RE7.

So in closing: fun to play, had some good RE lore to chew on, but really started going down a path with the series that I didn't like as a long-time fan. Actually, I guess RE4 started that path, but RE5 took it further, and RE6 just grabbed the ball and ran with crazy legs.
So thankful for RE7 and the Remakes.

Last edited:

LazyPanda

Oct 30, 2017
BTW the furnace boss fight was real fun in co-op last night, I had already played it years and years ago on 360 with the same friend, but I basically forgot everything about it. Are there any more puzzley oriented boss fights like this one?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
BTW the furnace boss fight was real fun in co-op last night, I had already played it years and years ago on 360 with the same friend, but I basically forgot everything about it. Are there any more puzzley oriented boss fights like this one?
Yes, actually most of the bosses in RE5 have some optional puzzle-y type element, but some are a lot better than others or are telegraphed better than others.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Complete global saturation!!!

I don't really care for the solo campaign (I did have some fun playing with a friend in co-op), but it has my favourite mercenaires mode that I still fire up now and again.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i mean... is it ok to talk about racist representation in the game now? Because the most i remember about RE5 was that it definitly was not ok to talk about that at time of release.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I replayed RE5 last year and really liked it. Love the setting and the leads. It plays better than RE4 in how you can control the camera. Only thing that I dislike are the armed enemies that can make it feel like a generic cover shooter at times. Corny action moments and boulder punching worked for me just fine. I've only ever played it solo and am strategic with which weapons I give Sheva (she's pretty good with the sniper rifle). Probably a 7 or 8/10 for me.

Of the RE games I've played (and beaten) I'd rank it as follows: REmake2 >> RE4 > RE5 >> RE6

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
9/10 if you play with a friend. Truly a worthy follow up to RE4 if you can play this way

5/10 without.

I played through it 4 times with a good friend of mine on its original release and adored it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's great if you are playing with your friends. It's miserable if you are playing by yourself. 6/10 really is a fair score for what is essentially only half a good game. I've had loads of fun with RE5 and my friends, but I have perspective to realize that my friends were bringing most of the fun.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyable co-op, some boss fights were annoying bulletsponges and took way too long, especially if you got a bad online partner.

Loved the kneecap shot and melee combos, I could do those all day.

Best Sheva partner quotes: "You need to be more careful!" "I OWE you one!" "Thanks, PAHT-NAH!"

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I like parts of it? Like it's still good at crafting some of the moments of tension that made RE4 so memorable, and it makes for some fun times in co-op.

But yeah, there's some racist-ass shit going on, and solo, the game is a frustrating mess.