• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of RE 4

• 11/10 (Amazing)

Votes: 233 71.5%
  • Best Game of All Time

Votes: 103 31.6%
  • It's better than you, CrimsonCrescendo (I can't argue that tbh)

Votes: 133 40.8%

• Total voters

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest games of all time to this day and at release an absolute landmark in the medium.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: one of the greatest and most influential games of all time. Also bingo.

Oct 27, 2017
RE4 is one of the closest games to being perfect. Easily one of the best games of all time. I can definitely see a case for being the absolute best, too.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Mind blowing at the time. Still awesome when I rebought it for the Wii. Now... couldn't really get into it with Game Pass :( Just felt clunky. IMO doesn't hold up nearly as well these days as generation "best game ever" contemporaries like Metroid Prime, Halo, or Shadow of the Colossus.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The game control is pretty weird at first. But after you get the jizz of it, it turns "okay. I can deal with it". And then after you play more further, it will turn into "okay. The control is perfect as it is and there is no way it should change even in the remake"

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
WHATA YA BUYIN?
WHATA YA SELLIN?

Terrific game overall. One of the best of that generation easily for me and the best RE I've ever played (haven't had a chance to play RE2 Remake).

Fun as hell, cheesy as hell but in the best way possible. Not sure where it would be on my all time list, but it wouldn't be left off.
And somehow im reading that in joey's voice 😉😉

Adum

May 30, 2019
People playing it for the first time today might think it's just a decent action/horror game. But back when it first came out? There was no other game like it. It brought back a favorite character from a favorite series in a completely new way. I frikkin loved the gun upgrade mechanics that made exploring fun. And there was a ton to explore too! The maps were huge and there were enormous sections you'd miss if you only followed the story objective. One of the best games of all time. RE4 together with FF: Tactics will always have a perma spot in my top10.

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't have cracked my top five of 2005—not then, not now—but there is admittedly a significant degree of genre preference baked into that, and one shouldn't read it as a slight. RE4 is one of those games that was a textbook execution of something I wouldn't ordinarily find appealing, and which I therefore thought was very good. Lots of learn from it to this day when it comes to pacing and resource management, despite its rather unfortunate role in normalizing do-or-die QTEs for years to come. I look back at its rhythmic tandem of explosive set pieces and cautious forward exploration and am tempted to argue that, for a game that I already considered a tad overrated in its own day, its mastery of pacing isn't appreciated nearly enough.

I always meant to take a crack at it again in the Wii version, as I loathe stick-aiming in all its forms, and couldn't believe Capcom blew it with the Switch port when they got literally everything right with the control scheme redesign for Okami HD. No, gyro isn't the same thing as IR pointer aiming, but I can't see myself attempting this game with the original stick-based scheme again.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I post in so many of these. Yes it's the best action game ever made. Yes it's perfect. It might be the best designed game ever, for sure it's the best paced. Nothing may ever top it.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking amazing.

Especially if you played this shit when it came out on the Gamecube. It is still amazing on the PS2 but by then you knew you were in for something special, whereas on release it was just kind of unexpected. I just was not ready for how awesome it was going to be. I can't think of many sequels with a more surprising jump between Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 4 (I am skipping the DC game).

Truly a legendary game.

Yep. re4 was a birthday gift to me given in the morning, and I decided to skip school that day. It was a legendary day for a legendary game.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game, an ok RE, but definetly overrated.
I got a gamecube for the RE exclusives games at the time, and this one really "disappointed" me after all the talk around it.
8/10.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not as good as Resident Evil 5, 7, 2, or 1.. but it is a good game.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
One of the most overrated games I've ever played which also began the downfall of the franchise lasting 10+ years. I'm glad that finally we're getting some semblance of survival horror back that RE was originally made famous for with the recent release of RE2 Remake and upcoming RE3 Remake.

In a nutshell, RE4 is a good but dated action game, bad RE game.

Last edited:

Alder

Jan 4, 2020
A great game and an influential game, but it hasn't aged well. It would really benefit from a REmake.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I don't particularly like it. I come from a heavy Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3 background. 4 is a blasphemy to the series.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I liked it, but never seen as great as many say. I find it too long and a bit boring at times, leaving is not there all the time. Also the camera is atrocious
For me the best resident evil is still the first one. The sequel is really good too, but that mansion for the very first time is one of the best moments in my gaming life

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I'm in the minority here, but I sadly didn't enjoy it too much. The beginning was great, but it got worse over time and then I dropped it on that island.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Played it again about a year ago, and it still controlled like a dream. Dropping dudes with the 'ol Leon special of a kneeshot/headshot + suplex/roundhouse is still one of the best things in gaming. When you kick or suplex a dude and their head explodes too? So good.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was ok. Enjoyed my time with it when it came out, but didn't think much of it past that.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I like the game, it's somewhere in the middle of my RE series ranking. I've never agreed with the perfect pacing line that people love to keep using though, I find it a bit too long and think it overstays its welcome a bit every time I replay it

Oct 27, 2017
I actively hate this game. I thibk it has ko redeeming qualities whatsoever. I know you (yes, you, dear reader) will vehemently disagree with me... But, alas, I don't care. I stand by my opinion: RE4 is the worst RE game bar none, and a bad game overall.

Yes, I thibk RE6 is a much, much better game.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
At the time I loved it, thought it was the best RE game of all time, now it's severely aged, and not in a fine wine kind of way. The worst crime is the voice acting and script/story/characters.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It was a game i loved and held in high regards in the past but after replaying it recently my opinion changed drastically. In my replay i found most combat encounters boring and didn't feel any excitement. I'm really hoping it gets the remake treatment to bring back that excitement i felt when i first played it.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
One of the best games ever made , I routinely replay it every year and always have great fun, also it does not need a remake, the game is perfect as is.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I actively hate this game. I thibk it has ko redeeming qualities whatsoever. I know you (yes, you, dear reader) will vehemently disagree with me... But, alas, I don't care. I stand by my opinion: RE4 is the worst RE game bar none, and a bad game overall.

Yes, I thibk RE6 is a much, much better game.
Eww

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bittersweet about it. It's an amazing game, the best TPS I've played, my overall most replayed game, and it's firmly in my all-time top 10. I think it's objectively one of the best games ever made.

But at the same time it marked the end of classic survival horror, not just for RE but across-the-board. The rest of the industry followed suit and entered a real dark period for the genre. And while it's not RE4's fault that follow-up games were mediocre-to-bad, it started the series down a path that it didn't really recover from until a few years ago.

Also, as someone who was deeply invested in the story at that time and was irrationally hyped for RE 3.5, seeing the Umbrella story discarded just like that in the opening cutscene was brutal.

I view RE4 simultaneously as a masterpiece and as a huge bummer.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Best RE game and it's not even close. I wasn't there for the clunky ass originals, and 5&6 stank.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
It's so good that they couldn't fit all the good in 1 game and had to make devil may cry to hold the rest of it.

Oct 27, 2017
It used to be my favorite RE. On the day of release, 11/10. 15 years later, 8/10. Controls always require an adjustment period and the game kick started the decline of horror RE. It wouldn't be until RE7 that RE gave me the creeps again. That fact taints it in my mind quite a bit

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Worst one in the mainline series as I see it. The core mechanics were improved on by the addition of co-op for 5, but even then, it's still not what I consider a Resident Evil game. If it had a completely different title, I could safely ignore it while the masses fellate it. But it's unfortunately attached in name to one of my favorite series of games, so I have to begrudgingly accept it as a fundamentally solid and well paced game, even if it sits at the bottom of the franchise with ORC, Survivor, and Umbrella Corps.

Leon sucks, the antagonists suck, Ashley super sucks, and things like collecting money to buy upgrades should never EVER be in a horror game. Period. Resident Evil 2 Remake is everything it should have been, had they insisted on turning it into a shooter.