• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
People who gatekeep any form of art are arseholes.

Personally I've no interest in hiphop, but it's just one of many genres I don't listen to. But they are as valid as any other musical form. And to say otherwise is stupid.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The history of hip hop is fascinating and rich. The very idea that it's not music is, at best, ridiculous and, at worst, racist.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This billboard on I-4 between Tampa and Orlando tells you exactly who says shit like that.

hlcz2q65ljm21.jpg

So yeah. Racists.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between not liking the genre and outright dismissing it as not music. The latter being incredibly racist and offensive.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are the same people who think of Lil Nas X as "one of the good ones" because he did Old Town Road.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, so many people quick to accuse others of racism. Good forbid it could be anything else.. when I got into it I remember people saying to me they didn't like it because it didn't have proper singing in it, or because it was all samplers and drum machines and not actual instruments. Some people just have a very narrow idea of what music is.

Personally I find it rock music tedious. Hip hop for me was main genre that pushed music forward, it doesn't have one sound. I eventually moved to instrumental Hip hop but I still love it.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't take anyone serious if they claim it is not music. Even if you don't enjoy it, it is definitely music.

How does your uncle lean politically?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Quite often it's thinly disguised racism, especially when they say stuff like "I hate rap, but Eminem/Beastie Boys are pretty okay".

However, I also feel like a part of it is some extremely misguided idea of what music is. Often the same people that claim hip hop isn't "real music", will also claim electronic music or pop music isn't real music, because it was "made on a computer" or "written by a team of writers and not the singer her/himself".

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I dealt with this shit a lot growing up in my old neighborhood.

I learned to ask them what music is to them. At best, I remember getting a pompous asshole who thinks anything that isn't Jazz or Classical music "is not real music" but that only happened once. My old music teacher loathed just about everything from The Beatles to NWA. The only "modern" music I remember her liking was The Wu Tang Clan funny enough.

Every other time it would be a bigot caught off guard.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That they're ignorant or close-minded. Or worst case, racist.

I usually ask people who go x isn't music to try and define music. They tend to fuck up that bit.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I assume they're racist.

Hip hop is far from my favorite genre, and I'm much more into rock and blues. But to imply that it's not music or it's inferior to whatever other genres seems pretty straightforwardly ignorant and most likely racist to me.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
These are the same people who think of Lil Nas X as "one of the good ones" because he did Old Town Road.

nah they just think that the song is good because of Billy Ray Cyrus...literally had someone tell me this. It's sad how much in denial these people are especially when now you hear about how pervasive hip hop is in other genre's of music.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Probably racism.

I personally don't really like 90's era hip hop/rap much anymore. I get that its gangsta rap but I just can't like all of all uber excessive misogyny, anti-LGBT, and murder glorifying lyrics.

That's me growing up. I really disliked the lyrics of 90s rap and that was the only thing I knew of rap.
Then there was some tribe mentality too, rock vs hip-hop kind of thing and it's really easy as a kid to fall into that trap.

I used to complain they all sounded similar to me (like pop actually)
However calling it "non music" is nonsense. My 50yo christian AF music teacher at school actually publicly scolded a classmate when they said they didn't like all rap.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't particularly like Hip Hop but it definitely is music and filled with a ton of talented artists.

I've never heard any one dismiss it as not music though. I've heard a lot of people dismiss a lot of metal music as not "true" metal music, but I think that's just dumb genre fans and not racist people like Op is describing.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's narrow-minded to hate all of it and it's factually wrong to say it's not music. I think people often jump to the racism accusation a little too quickly, though. A lot of people that hate hip hop don't hold the same negative opinions of other genres with lots of black performers, and plenty of white people hate genres associated with white people like country and metal. Music brings out people's snobbery in general.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't fuck with anyone that says that dumb shit. Don't like it? Cool.

But the attempt to delegitimize an entire genre of music that's been analyzed time and time again by scholars as music? I don't fuck with anyone who's that bigoted.

Last time someone said that to me my response was to shit on their death metal for the same reason "I can't understand that shit". They shut the fuck up real quick.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
One possible response is "cool hot take from 1999"

another possible response is "cool diet racist take"

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends honestly. Some people are clearly being fucking racist shit bags. But then there are some that are a little more old school that see talent when it comes to music as being able to play an instrument or sing, and thats it.

I think a lot of them are either musicians themselves, or just people who dont see rapping as an actual skill and are just a little more old school, if that makes sense. My dad was a drummer his whole life, and he cant stand hip hop. He has those same complaints that it doesnt take any talent, when in reality, I think the talent behind it just goes over the older generation's head.

Its the same way people dog on guys with laptops on a stage "performing" their song. People dont see pressing buttons and turning knobs as being difficult enough to be classified as a talent.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Ahistorical losers. How are you gonna be a fan of rock, a genre that was also labeled as invalid by an older generation, and do exactly the same thing, with zero self awareness? I can understand it not being your thing, but saying a genre of music is invalid because you don't like it is self absorbed and I assume you're a Ben Shapiro level shithead.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I used to hear it wasn't music because they didn't use "real" instruments. I used to hear the same arguments against electronic music and I don't think em is associated with black people. I haven't heard either in ~20 years.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Uneducated at best

Racist at worst

I don't have time for that opinion or people who express it

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I used to be super dumb and hated Hip Hop entirely and such. Was a big Rock fan, etc. Though not exclusively Classic.

But I wouldn't ever say it's not music. That's insane. May not be my favorite, but it's certainly music. I think that unfortunately, like many have already mentioned, it's a race thing most of the time.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan myself, but dismissing it as not music is completely ignorant and yes, racist.

also as a sidenote, when I was growing up, radio stations would advertise "music without the rap" or something like that. Looking back on it now, would you say that was racist? I'm starting to think it was.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, it cracks me up about everyone talking about him as if he were an up-and-coming country star, breaking into a white-only genre, bringing new ideas, etc. All because they only listened to one song on YouTube (and, as mentioned earlier, probably only the remix). Clearly none of them actually listened to the rest of the EP. If they did, they would have noticed "Old Town Road" was the outlier, the one-off. The rest of it is much more traditional hip-hop/rap (such as I can see, I'm not deep into hip-hop by any stretch).

It's weird that I felt like some kind of hipster in knowing about the other songs like "Panini" and "Rodeo" long before they were ever released as singles, and I wasn't shocked to find that his second single wasn't another country song.. lol.

Incidentally, I like the OG version of "Old Town Road" better than the remix. The remix seems like too much of a push to get the song "accepted" by country audiences (aka white people). Which right there also reiterates the source of the "that ain't music" attitude... that only a white man could make a black man's music "country". Maybe that's a bit much, these are just rambling thoughts at this point.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
White people have always tried to gatekeep art from non-white people.

Jazz wasn't considered valued art.
-Until white people slowly came around to it.

Blues/Rock wasn't considered valued art.

R&B wasn't considered valued art.

Rinse. Repeat.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
De gustibus non est discutandum.

I do not particularly like hip hop, for once, but my perception was tainted by the "millionaire gangsta" trend of the early 2000s.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have a lot of friends who don't like rap music, but they don't hate it either and I've never had a reason to suspect them of racism. My drummer hates it, which is weird because he's a REALLY good drummer and you would think he'd have an appreciation for some of the best rhythm in the game.

My early dislike for rap was more of a lack of exposure and my teenage insistence of only listening to one type of music. I think it was one of the early Bonnaroo's with Galactic performing with a bunch of rap artists all night that I "got it". Maybe I just needed to hear it loud with people dancing all around me... on mushrooms and weed. Anyway, we're good, I was wrong, my drummer is STILL wrong, I'mma write him a rap song.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care unless it comes with obvious dogwhistling statements like using the term "jungle music" (heard that irl) or this guy who said he normally hates hip-hop except Tom MacDonald who "actually says something".

The same thing I say to those who say they hate country music; I'm sure if you listen to enough of it you'll find plenty of songs/artists that you enjoy.
Honestly I think rap and country kind of cross paths more often than not. For all their differences I think they go well together, especially as a lot of traditional country and hip-hop sort of touch upon similar ideas but from different cultural perspectives...i.e. both genres have a lot of songs dealing with masculine identity and the idea of being successful.

That's of course a very superficial reading of both genres but whenever I hear someone complain rap has too much talk of money and sex I point out a lot of county songs do too, they just phrase it in different ways.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
the same people are usually the ones that say that they just aren't attracted to black women...

sooo...