• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think about Nolan’s Batman trilogy?

• I love them still.

Votes: 409 42.1%
  • I like them a lot, but think they’re flawed.

Votes: 405 41.7%
  • Meh, don’t like or hate them.

Votes: 66 6.8%
  • I don’t like them but appreciate some parts of them.

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • I hate them.

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • NO MORE DEAD COPS

Votes: 24 2.5%

• Total voters

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The more time passes, the more I feel Begins is the best of the three, despite its excessive exposition and compulsion to expand on irrelevant details. Bale's performance is really felt here in ways that it just isn't in the later films.

The weird contrivances, awkward/hokey cuts, and little leaps in logic that hold TDK together become more and more glaring every time I watch it.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Fun, flawed, thought provoking, well acted, legendary villain, practical effects, poor action, and impressive shots in Imax.

Listen it's not perfect but man some sequences are epic and heath ledger is the GOAT superhero villain

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
The Dark Knight is still a fantastic movie and the other two are pretty great as well. Still have a high opinion of them

Old man yelling at the sky....

What is "serious cinema" exactly?
Especially it's the overwhelming praise that critics gave it that established them as 'serious cinema' anyway. People shouldn't blame the masses for people viewing it as serious cinema when critics across the world were praising it and awarding and not just in 2008, but they keep consistently naming it as one of the best films of the 2000s and the 21st century so far. That person should blame them and not the general audience lol

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Begins is mostly ok, with a terrible third act. Most of TDK is nonsensical, and Rises is just stupid.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Begins starts off great by cribbing liberally from Batman: Year One. Then it falters when it introduces supervillains and a dumb supervillain plan. (1) Why is the drug dangerous when inhaled and safe to drink and (2) given the former, why has it not already poisoned most Gothamites since water continuously evaporates all the time. Boiling it just means all of it goes to vapor, but in any situation with less than 100% humidity, water tends to partially evaporate.

Also, they spent so much time and money and effort teaching Bale how to fight for the screen and then they put him in a bulky suit where he physically couldn't. Seriously, a suit where he can't even turn his head? It looked terrible in fight scenes regardless of whether or not it looked good when he was standing still.

TDK's Joker is great. Otherwise, I kinda liked it.

Didn't much like the third.

TBH, I like most to all Nolan movies while I'm watching them, and then from an hour to a day later, the whole thing tends to curdle for me.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The first one is ok but kinda boring. The second one is good mainly because of Ledgers performance. The third one is just bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Begins is my favourite. It also has couple of awesome hype moments.

batgif.gif

Can you hear the music?

NHOz2wJ.gif

How many kids got nightmare form this?
I'm not even a kid and I get nightmare from this :p

Anyways, Batman Begins is definitely my favorite followed by Rises and then TDK.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Liked the first two films a lot, and the third to me was a bloated mess with a few standout scenes. Tom Hardy and his metal jock strap face though made for a comically bad antagonist. Something straight out of Austin Powers.

Unfortunately, it seems like that's now the status quo for "Batman speak", because it looks like Pattison is doing the exact same thing.
It's also the combination of the overly dramatic mouth movements that just make it ridiculous. Batfleck's voice modulator was excellent. Would like them to stick to something like that.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Begins is great
TDK is amazing
TDKR is pretty mediocre. Not the worst batman movie but def in the bottom.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome but I hate the fight choreography in it. Bale is a very convincing Bruce Wayne and Batman except when he fights.

Should have never let Bale do his own stunts. In the making of Batman Begins, his stunt double moved and fought so well. Why even have Bale fight when we can't tell who's in the suit. Don't get me started with his Force Kicks in TDKR.

Nolan really should care more about fight choreography.

In Tenet, I suspect the fight choreography would have sucked just as bad if it wasn't for John David Washington putting a lot into it (the restaurant kitchen scene, particulaly; I could just imagine another actor punching and fighting with not as much intensity and the end result looking bad)

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The first is good, the second is great thanks entirely to the Joker, and the third one is not good at all.

That is my feelings on this trilogy in a nutshell.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
The first two are excellent action films, but The Dark Knight Rises is a bit of a mess. The attempt to cram in some barely comprehensible and ill-judged political commentary alongside the sidelining of Batman for most of the film bring it down.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think i've seen

1 - twice
2 - twice
3 - once

They are / were cool at the time but don't feel the need to rewatch them.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I love them, well at least the first two. The Dark Knight Rises, is definitely the weakest one coming straight after The Dark Knight that I consider fantastic, might be the reason why I feel a bit down on the last one. It's still very good though. Also, I feel like people have somehow turned around on The Dark Knight the last few years and seeing it overrated suddenly, it's still up there on my all time best movies top 10, for sure.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Batman Begins has a great first half and mediocre second half.
The Dark Knight is the best movie in the world second only to Life of Brian.
Dark Knight Rises might not be the best of the three but it is the most rewatchable of the bunch.

Yeah, the first half of Begins is really, REALLY good.

I like TDK a lot, but the thing for me has always been that it's mostly a really good/suspenseful crime drama. You could pretty easily tweak the movie to make Batman just a detective and the Joker a random psycho and it would still be a compelling movie. Outside of a scene or two the actual "Batman" parts aren't really that great.

TDKR is just awful.

Another issue I have with the trilogy is the lack of continuity between the films. Both in Gotham as a city/location and also how they just kind of abandon the end of TDK in the beginning of TDKR. Bruce being a recluse and no longer Batman is kind of the easy way out for what the end of TDK set up.