• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

School setting?

• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it, everything about raising levels, promoting and training is ridiculous if they are professional soldiers
Yes, but that's the accepted ludonarrative dissonance of the series :P. And I actually don't think there's anything too out there about 'training' to get stronger in-between battles...

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
It looks like it's just the beginning section of the game, so I don't mind it at all because you're specializing your units.

Would be really cool if you could build a "hero" type unit, and then in the end game have to end up fighting the unit you created.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to keep an open mind but I'm a little less optimistic upon hearing about the school thing. It completely wrecked Valkyria Chronicles from a story perspective, and I've never really gotten over it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I disagree, several of the characters definitely look like they could be 15/16. You really think these two are 18+?
P8cdBjI.jpg

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I'm honestly indifferent about it, doesn't bother me, wouldn't have thought too much about that one aspect if people hadn't mentioned it here. It's just a Fire Emblem game to me, seems like that is this games 'home base' type thing, not really a big deal?

But I like anime so the "F**K THIS ANIME TRASH GAME NINTENDO YOU'RE DUMB!" makes me sad to read as well.

Feb 12, 2019
I love the Fire Emblem games but I honestly don't remember the stories. I know there is was a time travel one in the first 3DS game. But the rest is just a blur of fun battles. I am excited, its like a lil game of thrones with some Harry Potter. I dig it.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Trash. but I dont play Fire emblem for the story.

Just hoping combat is good and at least the school setting is a less creepy way of creating your new characters instead of breeding them like pokemon lol.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Even if the Japanese version had teacher-student relationships I'd have to assume the Treehouse folks would put a big no on that shit immediately based on the changes they made to Fates. While nothing in Fates seemed particularly compelling to me, some of the things that the Treehouse folks removed from the game were nauseatingly bad, which is why I respect their effort enough to not write this off immediately.
Oh yeah localization. Upon further reflection I agree that student teacher romances are hard coded into the game's premise. Supports will be in and they will be with the Avatar and they don't have a reason (besides tact) to not make them end romantically. Treehouse would have to go in pretty hard to scrub evidence of that though.

... well maybe no one supports the Avatar. They didn't have very many dialogue boxes in the trailer so maybe they're not super involved.

Having competing factions manifest as a school setting seems like a fine setup and it serves as a good replacement hub for MyCastle too. Not against it! Cautiously optimistic.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sort of split because I'm definitely tired of school settings in JRPGs, but it's also fairly novel for Fire Emblem.

I love the art direction for the most part at least (a few weird character designs and bland 3D world aside) so i'm kinda in wait and see mode

Oct 25, 2017
Indifferent right now but that could change in either direction to how it's handled in the story. Fates looked like it was going the right direction with all the released trailers with choosing between an adopted family and your real one and then bungled it every way imaginable during the actual game.

The over world looking bland and some of the indistinguishable character designs look more of a problem for me so far.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprisingly on board with the school setting. If you told me I'd say that before having watched the video, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

I mean, having the main character as a professor teaching and leading a unit makes a lot more sense than previous protagonist roles. Remember how it used to be random stranger with amnesia suddenly being nominated as lead tactician for a rebellion?

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Story-wise, and to work more like past games, surely the main base setting has to change eventually? Like halfway through the game or something.

I don't mind it, but it's hard to imagine it being successful if they force it even when things get serious.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Have very little Fire Emblem knowledge and also dislike strategy games overall, but I find the setting quite interesting. The team management mechanics of levelling up and creating training schedules for your students could be something.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Only if it's American high school so we don't have to bother with pandering uniforms for female characters.

Remember the Japanese gaming laws: All females must wear miniskirts and/or some form of thigh-high stockings. Absolutely no pants allowed! unless they're super tight.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed. Fire Emblem hasn't been the same since Awakening, but whatever. I'll probably skip it like I skipped the last game.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not giving hope that the school part is just a prologue of sorts. if it isnt, then yeah, its a hard pass for me

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, you're playing the role of the teacher rather than the student. That in itself is a huge departure from the usual, and I am kinda interested in that angle, which also makes perfect sense for the role you as the player have in FE games as the commander of a fighting force, and it also links the mechanical and narrative investment in the performance of your students organically. That's pretty neat.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the it's trash camp, hate highschool settings and fire emblem was already getting super anime tropey garbage.

So I'm waiting for it to prove itself as not trash before jumping in.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I will give it a chance, I have deep problems with the 'Child/teen soldier' concept but let's see how it's handled here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Before Fates and Heroes, I would have been indifferent or still pretty interested. After those, IS has a lot to prove, especially when it comes to a school setting. Prove me wrong and don't have gross sexualization and creepy shit with characters who look twelve.

Currently, I'm in the "it's trash" gang.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If this game doesn't eventually have an all-out war between all 3 regions with you having to mercilessly kill a bunch of students you got attached to then the entire game is waste of code.

Only way I'll accept High School FE.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It turned me off but I'll probably buy it anyway.

I was so hype to see battles more fully realized but knowing that most of your units are just high school kids kinda kneecaps that vision a bit. But hey, I enjoyed Code Geass back in the day and that war had plenty of High School students.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah localization. Upon further reflection I agree that student teacher romances are hard coded into the game's premise. Supports will be in and they will be with the Avatar and they don't have a reason (besides tact) to not make them end romantically. Treehouse would have to go in pretty hard to scrub evidence of that though.

... well maybe no one supports the Avatar. They didn't have very many dialogue boxes in the trailer so maybe they're not super involved.

Having competing factions manifest as a school setting seems like a fine setup and it serves as a good replacement hub for MyCastle too. Not against it! Cautiously optimistic.

I actually think there's a decent possibility that the avatar won't have romantic supports. I mean, do people really care who the avatar hooks up with? It's all the other pairings that people get into, no? The avatar in the 3DS games always felt like a bland cipher to me. I think you could totally get away with just pairing off the students (or possibly giving the avatar romance options only with other instructors? because they're definitely in the game, just a matter of whether they're playable).

But also Japan can be terrible with this kind of thing so who the hell knows.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It actually got me really interested in the game. Teaching and training students means you can get your favourite characters into a class you want (seems like that).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, you're playing the role of the teacher rather than the student. That in itself is a huge departure from the usual, and I am kinda interested in that angle, which also makes perfect sense for the role you as the player have in FE games as the commander of a fighting force, and it also links the mechanical and narrative investment in the performance of your students organically. That's pretty neat.
Maybe if this was made by Matsuno, I'd have more hope for this kind of scenario. From current IS, I'm awaiting ~awkward moments~ between teacher and a particularly sexy, totally 14.. I mean 18 year old student during swimming exercise or beach episode. Or even if they keep things more appropriate with teacher never lusting after students and only having student on student relations, still doing something gross with underage (looking) characters.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I actually think there's a decent possibility that the avatar won't have romantic supports. I mean, do people really care who the avatar hooks up with? It's all the other pairings that people get into, no? The avatar in the 3DS games always felt like a bland cipher to me. I think you could totally get away with just pairing off the students (or possibly giving the avatar romance options only with other instructors? because they're definitely in the game, just a matter of whether they're playable).

But also Japan can be terrible with this kind of thing so who the hell knows.
I mean. I thought so. I just don't understand why Fates has petting then. And the S-rank support confessions in Awakening/Fates for the Avatar were more involved than the rest. Pretty sure that if Byleth is a Robin/Corrin style avatar that it's a given, even with the power dynamics. Alas.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm feeling trepidation over the setting.

Here's the thing about games in school setting that I hate in one screenshot:

QkfA0Fb.jpg

What's one of the hallmarks of Fire Emblem? Every unit is a unique character, with their own personality.

So what do we do? Stick them all in the same uniform!

Hope you like identifying people solely by their hair!

Jan 9, 2018
There's a hell of a lot of potential in this, and I want to believe in it. But the idea that IS might be letting you, the teacher, S Rank your students and that.... that scares me quite a lot.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I'm more worried about the game's presentation. Just like awakening and fate, I'm not a fan of the character design and the graphics look rough.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't watched the trailer yet, but knowing that it's another high school RPG makes it an easy pass for me. I'll be glad when developers move on from this fad.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
lol at all the negative people here, we have not seen enough to say the setting is trash.
I mean, a school setting is not a bad thing per se, see Harry Potter and Persona.
It actually makes sense, you are the teacher and train and give directions to your students, so that they grow stronger (level up) and forge bonds.
I'm excited to see more.