• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I really like it and the dlc brought back the paranormal/dementia elements,which was missing in the base game.
DS1 and 2 were excellent and 3 was great imo.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It was awful and at every point in the design process they made the stupidest decision possible. I'm glad the franchise ended if they wanted to take it in the direction of DS3.

It was already threatening to come off the rails with 2 but EA forced their sordid ideas onto the IP and destroyed it forever.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I remember hearing somewhere that during development the co-op would have had the player characters individually hallucinate at times. I wish that they were able to run with that, it would have been an interesting co-op experience.

overall the game itself isn't bad, but it doesn't come anywhere near Dead Space 1 and 2. It almost feels like an action horror game. Like, the setting is perfect for a sci-fi horror ala The Thing, but the execution doesn't leave you scared; on top of that, any sense of horror or dread is quashed when you find enough resources to build a mega-gun (which can be done easily through an exploit).
I fucking love the final chapter and boss though, It was different and planted seeds for a Dead Space 4 that could play with cosmic horror themes. It's a shame that we're never going to get that now.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even play it. I wanted to though because I loved the first 2. Just never got around to it and didn't make it a priority because of the backlash.

Same situation. I actually just sold it on eBay a week ago. It was my only PS3 game that I owned that was sealed. I knew I was never going to play it after hearing how it was a drastic departure from what made DS1 and DS2 so great. Bummer that this IP ended up like this. DS2 still remains as one of my favorite horror games.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Went too far with everything that made DS2 great. DS2 is the perfect balance between 1 and 3, but they went hard at that shooter market and lost the plot.

I REALLY hated the ammo/weapon system, which encouraged different play styles in 1 and 2, but was completely gutted in this one.

Jan 11, 2018
Better than 2, worse than 1. Overall a great end to the trilogy.

Does anyone know if you can still co-op this game online or are the servers down at this point?

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Completely skipped it. Which says more about how much I (didn't) like Dead Space 2.
PS: Extraction is secretly the best game of the franchise

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Whenever this game is discussed there are always comments criticizing EA for the third game and the state of the IP. EA created Dead Space. EA created Visceral Games in 1998, they were a branded developer team inside the EA's HQ. They were all EA employees. I just find it strange that EA never seems to get any credit for creating the first two games, yet they get all the blame for the IP being dead.

Last edited:

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Nowhere near as good as DS2 but still really enjoyed the co-op. Too few good co-op games around in that genre. Can't really complain given how EA gave it free to make up for the clusterfuck that was the Sim City launch.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
It was an ok game but does not come close to touching its 2 predecessors. The gun crafting was fun to mess with.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That DLC ending was...something.

Bold of them to kill the franchise in such a ludicrous fashion.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's still a good game in its own right, just didn't live up to the first two in the series.

Really went off the rails towards action and throwing in co-op is a death knell for a horror game imo. It's no longer that scary.

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
I couldn't finish it due to a bug somewhere in the middle of the game. I had zero desire to start over, as it was no where near as good as the first two.

Dead Space = Alien
Dead Space 2 = Aliens
Dead Space 3 = Alien vs Predator 2

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Intensely middling throughout. Does anyone remember the BADASS DRILL FIGHT video?

Dead Space's characters were never all that compelling in the first place but DS3 turned them into straight-up sitcom characters.

I never played Awakened though... Did it ever end up going on sale?

Oct 29, 2017
A terrible childish love story to that ended an otherwise great franchise.

The gameplay is fine, much less scary due to the focus on coop. The story really kills it for me.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Had fun playing it in co-op, there was some cool ways it leveraged it that I hadn't seen before. However it didn't feel like a Dead Space game, and most of the improvements (ie: Weapon Customisation) undermined the rest of the game such that they made the experience worst.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
thoroughly enjoyed it, it was the game that got me into the others (which, yes were much better), great Asymentical Coop mechanics too. DLC was good but the ending pretty much killed the franchise.

space sections were great

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a masterpiece but as a huge fan of the first two games I think it's pretty underrated. 2/3 of the game is straight-up Dead Space. The combat sections with human enemies are pretty mediocre but only make up a relatively small amount of the game. I remember playing it after hearing all of the negativity and wondering why everyone was so worked up about it.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Is funny because it's obviously very similar to 2 yet I enjoyed it so much less. Not sure if I can put my finger on the differences responsible for this.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good action game with some great set pieces. Not a great Dead Space game. I didn't like the forced co-op. The snow levels were lovely.

Also annoying how they sold the real ending of the game as DLC.

Oct 27, 2017
Killed one of my favorite horror franchises.

However overall it's not a "terrible" game, just a huge disappointment coming from one of the best horror action games of all time and an amazing first entry. EA killed it like they kill most things.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
They really miscalculated what players found appealing about the Dead Space story. The last thing anyone wanted was some bizarre love triangle told in straightforward traditional fashion.

The crafting was kinda fun, but not nearly as fun as it should have been.

Little atmosphere, snow + horror is one of my favorite combos and this game was rarely scary even compared to The Thing (game) or Extermination.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I didn't hate it, but it was a huge step down from Dead Space 2. Still, I'll take it over no Dead Space any day.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
A sequel by a clearly passionate team that likely fell victim to a million corporate directives as the game had to appeal to seemingly everyone in order to meet unrealistic sales targets. An absolute gut-punch after the fantastic Dead Space 2.

On top of that, the story is a mess and there's a lack of... care (struggling to think of a better word) and attention to detail that might have been down to the fact that the team had to implement so many "big" features compared to the first two games.

It's a shame as there's some interesting stuff in there - I love the winter-y setting as well.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Love the locations and the setpieces but apart from that everything is worse than in DS and DS 2. The shooting/the controls feel off, the weapon crafting is garbage, the non stop action is annoying and they fucking changed Ellie for the worse!

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Not as good as the other 2 but a very good game anyway. I loved the weapon customization system.
The other day I tried to replay it on PS Now but I'm a big coward and couldn't do it.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
It was fine. I'm not sure where the franchise would go anyways, you can only do the same monster so many times before it becomes ineffective at striking fear.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Some of these takes are lol. Better than 2? Best in the trilogy? Warn these trolls.

As far as disappointing sequels go, it was pretty good. I played it all the way through and had a good time. The bleakness of the story was appealing but the scope got too out of wack. A giant moon made of necromorphs is cool, but shooting it out of the sky is dumb. Didn't love the dodge roll or all the enemies that shoot. Felt like feature creep did a number on Dead Space 3. They added a lot, and lost the core of the experience.

It is quite clearly the least good Dead Space game.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
it's utter shit.
Well maybe if dead space 1&2 did not exist it would not have been such a deception, just another random average co-op shooter.
But they do so it's utter shit.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Story was trash, hated the lack of personality to the weapons due to crafting and the atmosphere was almost non existent.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I don't think any of the Dead Space games were all that great to begin with and they just went downhill after the first.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't played it, And Dead Space 1/2 are some of my favorite games ever. Just no desire to sully my memory of a great franchise with an utterly mediocre one.