• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
As the forum has a large wealth of members spanning numerous platforms & games, what do you think would technically be the most popular game across everyone here?

H2x1_SNES_TheLegendOfZeldaALinkToThePast_image1600w.jpg

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's either Smash or BotW.

Bloodborne sounds like a reasonable answer at first, but it has many detractors coming at it from multiple angles (TW3 GOTY holdouts, the "Dark Souls still outshines it" and "Sekiro supplanted it" crews, people who think it's too hard, etc). It's nowhere near the level of consistent acclaim as those other two.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Turok 2

I'm disappointed in how many posts it took for someone to say Among Us despite the superliminal messaging smh

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's either Breath of the Wild or Bloodborne. I don't think any other games are quite that well loved. Where's a Dark Poll when you need one? Though I'm pretty sure BotW would take it.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
BOTW. It frequently tops popularity polls. The detractors are loud, but that is a very small proportion of the audience for the game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Smash is the only game I know that has had 19 threads for it's DLC discussion. So I imagine that.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it's more likely to be a game within a massive IP rather than just a single game. For example, BotW stays popular and discussed regularly on the forum not just because its a great game, but because Zelda in general is really popular, critically acclaimed over 35 years and we have regular discussions on the series in general (directions it's going in, themes, character depictions over time etc) that all point to the most recent and upcoming games.

Same goes for the Souls games, Mario and stacks of others when any discussion of a single game has the weight of series discussion behind them.

As a single game it's probably Breath of Wild at the moment.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild and Bloodborne come to mind.

Yeah, these are probably #1 and #2 if you put "best game ever" to a vote.

But if it's "most universally liked" rather than "best game ever", then I don't know. Maybe Mario Galaxy? BotW has its group of die-hard haters, as do most games. RE4, Naughty Dog's games, Witcher 3...all the biggest popular games have them. But I don't think I've ever seen anything but praise around here for Galaxy. I'm not sure how many popular or critically acclaimed games I can say that about.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild, probably. It has very vocal detractors but in a way that just shows how popular it is.

After that it's probably a Sony exclusive but I think Bloodborne has fallen to the wayside in favor of the Gods of Wars and Lasts of Us.

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely Breath of the Wild. We have monthly threads on why it's the best work of art in the last decade, greatest game of the generation, greatest game of all time, best trailer of all time, etc. Obviously the game has its detractors but most people here love it more than anything else I'd say.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Witcher 3 must surely be up there. I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet.

I know CDPR aren't popular, with good reason, but I think the game itself is a favourite on here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
From Software games, probably Bloodborne.
At least from what people are willing to admit.

In reality it's probably something like Minecraft :)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People may not talk about them as much but I would assume the most popular games by sales are also the most popular games on this site.

So COD, GTA, MarioKart, FIFA, Among Us, Minecraft, etc.

If we are talking passion then thats a different debate. One I have no answer to because people get crazy talking about things they like on the internet.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Given that the forum demographic skews older, it's probably an older game like Ocarina of Time.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
BoTW is probably the most popular.
The most loved is probably Bloodborne. I still haven't seen someone saying they didn't liked the game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne and BOTW

I would say on the whole more have played and loved BOTW, but that game seems to elicit a lot of "Actually, BOTW is not good" contrarian threads than just about any other game too.

My personal experience was that this forum or neogaf before it would not stop praising Bloodborne so much that it convinced me to try it (and fall in love with it and From games). The BB praise cannot be avoided here, whereas the forum gives off more of a mixed reaction to BOTW, when really probably 9 of 10 love it, but the 1 of 10 are very vocal.