• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We are now close to two months and we literally know very little about the console. No BC plans, services like PSNow, PSplus, UI etc. Nothing. And that's not even mentioning price. What's the main reason why they're so quiet?

At first I thought it was because they wanted to get out their last two big exclusives but that's been out for months now so it's no that that. The whole thing is so strange to me.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I think they should've already talked about things like UI and BC through a blog post.

I assume they are waiting until the last moment to announce their launch line-up to avoid delaying stuff.

Hopefully they'll show gameplay from titles like Spider-Man MM, Demon's Souls, etc. soony.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Many uncertainties in game development right now, I think they are waiting until the last possible minute to be as sure as possible what will be ready for launch before announcing stuff and making promises.

Regarding price and release date.. I'm not entirely sure. They must have some market data showing an optimal time to announce these things to generate interest. I think they want a brief but super intense lead up to launch.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They probably want to give dates for some games with the price/launch day.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you'll get all the pricing details next week. They will want that info out before Xbox Preorders start.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
User banned (permanent): Relentless history of platform warring despite numerous warnings and bans.
Sony prefer to give solid information all at once. I am guessing a few exclusives may not make launch date, which is why they are waiting. The main reason is to flush microsoft out and then hit everyone with a news overload, which will basically turn everyones series x/ s preorders into ps5 preorders. Most gamers will be preordering a ps5 regardless.

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
I know we've been saying this for months now but: It's gotta be coming soon. Most people plan for large purchases like this, and I would think that Sony would want to start marketing their console with enough of a lead time to give people a chance to plan financially. Does it feel like Sony has lost a little momentum since the Xbox Series S leak? Since June all they've given people is the opportunity to sign up for a chance to be put on a waiting list for a chance to buy a console.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
They trying to keep their main spouse happy, their worth 100 racks. Not trying to get caught with the side piece PS5 despite someone spotting them together in March watching Angry Birds 2. The side piece only estimate to have 5 racks by years end

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Cause it doesn't matter. They can hold out as long as they want.

It can launch same day, next day, it can come with no exclusives on launch day, it can cost $600...you're gonna buy it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that they want to make 100% sure the launch lineup is finalized. It would look really bad if they announced it and had to start delaying games that close from announcement to launch.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It is a bit strange. They know they will sell out so I guess that gives them comfort that they can do whatever the fuck they like.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
They probably has a worked through marketing plan done months in advance with dates mapped down and everything. Plus as you said there's two months left, why hype everything now? Do you even remember what you were hyped about 2 months ago?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Corona, but who cares, that's how they have decided to do it, no need to overanalyse.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Based off the rumors of their game plan for PS5, everything about this console from design, games, and even Preorders seems to aimed at giving off a premium, exclusive experience to users.

Doesn't the champion always enter the ring last in boxing or MMA? It's all about presentation here man.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
They're shook from Xbox series X getting Yakuza 7 at launch/PS5 version being delayed and don't know how to respond.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I think now that MS has announced everything they will probably adjust their prices and come out with them and a date relatively soon.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think they were playing chicken with the price. I expect more details to drop next week.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
It's the price. Literally the most important thing to consumers. Yes games are also important but they are launching it in November regardless of games. Once the price is set there is no turning back and that is when comparisons will become ruthless and minute etc. It can completely shift the opinion of the console.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
They're shook from Xbox series X getting Yakuza 7 at launch/PS5 version being delayed and don't know how to respond.
Sega just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Yakuza 7 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sega's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sega has alienated an entire market with this move.
Sega, publicly apologize and cancel Yakuza 7 XSX or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Probably had a price in mind before the Xbox announcements, but now have to revise them as they were not expecting the lower end of the range for both machines, particularly the S. You know they would have been out immediately with their response if they were able to undercut.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The interesting thing, and what gives me confidence, is that they are already spending tons on marketing the PS5 across TV, internet and retail. I'm confident now that the main issue is launch lineup which has obviously been affected by COVID.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are mainly two reasons:

1) It is just how Marketing works today for big established brands. You don't need to hype up your product so much in advance if you're in a position like Sony.
Hype cycles are much shorter since the internet can bring something new at any day. So it is more efficient to just hold enough of your important announcements back and then unload them all within a short timeframe before the launch of your product to constantly hold the hype up.

2) Delays. It is never good to announce a delay or even cancellation, so they want to make sure that they can avoid these as much as they can. Delays can happen a few months or even a few weeks before the launch of something (see Kena or Halo as most recent examples), so it is much better to announce concrete infos like release dates or also any special features as late as possible.
That is even more true now with Covid.

There are other reasons as well of course (like holding back secret software features that can get copied fast), but imo those are the two main points.

Aug 19, 2020
I think it's a strategic approach which might play out in the long-term. If you let Xbox play their hand, you are then able to change your launch strategy to better compete against them and potentially perform far better.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're probably trying to be sure which first-party games will be ready for launch before committing to a date and possibly having to delay later.

And they've learned from their June's Future of Gaming event that making people wait and question just increases their hype.

It is very difficult to set a date when using variable clocks.
lmao

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Most of what Xbox has showed us and said about the system aside from the prices has backfired on them because they weren't ready. Can't really blame Sony for taking the opposite approach, seems like the smart thing to do.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a strategic approach which might play out in the long-term. If you let Xbox play their hand, you are then able to change your launch strategy to better compete against them and potentially perform far better.
Price aside, I don't think it really matters. Console launches are fairly isolated from each other and the hardcore fans will ensure good sales. Whoever produces the most, will sell the most.

It's far more important to have a good strategy following launch that spans several years. If Sony ensures a busy release schedule during 2021, they'll do great.

Dec 8, 2018
They are bound to sell every console they can produce for moths after launch probably regardless of how "late" their messaging seems and they don't need to be proactive or reactionary to what MS does.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This will never happen, neither will a last minute spec bump, unless it involves something like faster ram.
They haven't announced price or launch date though, might've been delayed to 2021 for all we know, would explain some lacking PS5 logos in game unveils. And there is no hurry to be out in 2020 as I see it, there is no real threat.