• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best amount of numbers to having in a rating system

• 2. thumbs up, thumbs down

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • 3. bad, ok, good

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • 5. 5 stars

Votes: 55 31.1%
  • 10. 10/10

Votes: 70 39.5%
  • 100. 100%

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think I'm really starting to like just having binary options. I think the less numbers you have the better. Once you go over 5, I feel like most people stop using the full scale, which imo defeats the purpose of having all those values.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
when i started doing stuff on letterboxd i just stuck with 5 stars, no halves

seems to work well

although a four star ends up being a pretty big range (as does a 3 to be honest)

heres the distribution

v96i1ng.jpg

having more fours than three makes sense to me because i dont watch every movie ever, im not a reviewer

i gravitate towards things that are good and ill like and enjoy and usually im right so it all works out

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No rating system needs 3 digits of accuracy. There is no functional difference between an 89/100 and 88/100 except for online nerds who need to log off to bicker about.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
A five point scale is good. Beyond that ratings become difficult to quantify, which leads to score inflation.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Why I can see how 10 scale would work, I have a hard time weighing anything below a 5. 5 to me is "meh", 1 is "complete trash" but anything 2-4 is just hard for me to grade. I often find stuff "meh" (5) or "ok" (6), but the rest takes too much thought.

5 is just easier to scale for enjoyment, for me personally.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A scale of 10 works well for most things, so long as you don't use decimals. If you do, you might as well move to a 100 scale.

Oct 25, 2017
x/10 and % are flawed because you can't train people to not see them like school grading, rendering half of your values worthless.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
100 is objectively the best because it allows people who want to use nuance to use nuance, while people who prefer rounded numbers are still free to use rounded numbers.

maybe i should adopt a system thats out of 1,000,000 so i can get tons of granularity there
If you got the skills then by all means! Don't let Gamers tell you what to do.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
★★★★★★★ (Masterpiece)
★★★★★★☆ (Classic)
★★★★★☆☆ (Good)
★★★★☆☆☆ (Average)
★★★☆☆☆☆ (Mediocre)
★★☆☆☆☆☆ (Bad)
★☆☆☆☆☆☆ (Terrible)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ (Unwatchable/Unplayable)

--or--

S
AA
A
BB
B
CC
C

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I can deal with 10 but I think 5 is where it's at.
Awful, meh, ok, good, great.

It's not as granular at 10 but I usually don't have the time to get super granular these days anyway.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Anything numerical is stupid because it leads to comparisons, which makes no sense when talking about art.

Something like thumbs up is great and then the critic has to explain what was good or bad about whatever it is that they are reviewing.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I personally use a 5 point scale, with half points (so ratings of 3.5 are possible). You might think that's just a ten point scale, and you'd be right, but it's all in the presentation; a 3/5 reads a LOT better than 6/10.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I miss when Netflix used stars so I'm gonna go with the 5 star rating.

The stars weren't what was good about Netflix's system. Stars are garbage by themselves.
The most useful system is Terrible/Bad/Ok/Good/Great, with stars used only as shorthand.

Last edited:

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I voted 5 stars. 10/10 is okay too but that amount of granularity feels like an overkill in the lower end of the scale (basically everything below 4).

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Dislike/like/love

For me that would cover everything perfectly. Numerical scores, or grades just seem awkward and annoying/stupid to me. If I don't like something then it doesn't need to be more specific than that.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Letter grade system, but with an S and no +'s or -'s.

S
A
B
C
D
F

Basically, it's three positive values and three negative values. "Amazing, Great, Good" | "Mediocre, Bad, Awful". The 5-star scale is slightly too limited for me personally.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
A color scale between infrared and ultra violet. I give the Last Jedi a dark salmon.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
"Good/bad" doesn't encompass the full range of reactions; x/10 is pointlessly granular. Out of 4 or 5 makes the most sense.

when i started doing stuff on letterboxd i just stuck with 5 stars, no halves

seems to work well

although a four star ends up being a pretty big range (as does a 3 to be honest)

I do the same, but yeah, 3/5 gets a lot of use. Truly terrible movies are pretty obvious and easy to avoid, so that's the rating for anything basically enjoyable, but nothing special.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR

S
A
B
C
D
F

Basically, it's three positive values and three negative values. "Amazing, Great, Good" | "Mediocre, Bad, Awful". The 5-star scale is slightly too limited for me personally.

This is a bit too simple, perhaps, because it follows the American education system of grading. (A, B, C, D, F)
Looks/feels like a teacher is grading these media. =p

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

S
A
B
C
D
F

'Mediocre' is too close to 'ok' for your scale. I'd replace it with 'subpar'.
That said, I don't like your scale because there's no middle ground, no room for 'meh'.

Mar 30, 2019
I grew up with 10/10, but for everyday sorting and minimalism I use a 3-system. Keep it, sell it, throw it away. It also folds well into rock-paper-scissor decisions.

‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ✊
🖐✌

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Voted 5, but I actually think 6 (0-5 instead of 1-5) is better. I don't like there being a perfect midpoint between the good and the bad ends of the spectrum, it feels like a bit of a copout... a score should lean in one direction or the other, if only slightly.

Personally my preferred scoring method which I use on Letterboxd, which really only works on an individual basis, is to use the entire spectrum of possible scores equally and to rate things relative to the other things I've seen. Effectively a tier list, with the caveat that I must use each tier equally and not just lump everything into the high tiers.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
10 point system is the best, as long as people use the whole scale and use 5 to mean middle of the road/wholly mediocre

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Voted 5, but I actually think 6 (0-5 instead of 1-5) is better. I don't like there being a perfect midpoint between the good and the bad ends of the spectrum, it feels like a bit of a copout... a score should lean in one direction or the other, if only slightly.

Personally my preferred scoring method which I use on Letterboxd, which really only works on an individual basis, is to use the entire spectrum of possible scores equally and to rate things relative to the other things I've seen. Effectively a tier list, with the caveat that I must use each tier equally and not just lump everything into the high tiers.

Yeah, 4, 6, 8 are better than 5, 7

(for the reasons you mentioned)

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
'Mediocre' is too close to 'ok' for your scale. I'd replace it with 'subpar'.
That said, I don't like your scale because there's no middle ground, no room for 'meh'.

That's on purpose. When it comes down to it, there's no media I can think where I haven't been able to decide whether my feelings toward it leaned toward positive or negative. A "meh" would get a C. If it wasn't that interesting, then I think it deserves to be on the negative half of the scale.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's all arbitrary nonsense, so I suggest we utilize a skunk. We face the skunk towards the mirror and if it recognizes itself, the game is good. If it does not then the game is still good. However, if it squirts, the game is bad.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The best system is the "gif out of 10" system, where you make a gif from the film in question that encapsulates your feelings on the film/is just a moment you want to highlight...and then you write "out of 10" because grading systems for art are stupid.

The Birthday:
birthday2.gif
out of 10

Dark Waters:
Dark_Watersgif1.gif
out of 10

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
20-80, baseball scouting style

50 is average, 10 point increments above/below for each standard deviation from the mean

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's on purpose. When it comes down to it, there's no media I can think where I haven't been able to decide whether my feelings toward it leaned toward positive or negative. A "meh" would get a C. If it wasn't that interesting, then I think it deserves to be on the negative half of the scale.

Really? I can think of three in the MCU alone.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver

5 stars creates this zone of 3-4 where everying just blends together imo. Since most people reserve "Perfect" scores to only a few items, and 1-2 is generally considered trash.