• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the biggest brand in Gaming?

• Nintendo

Votes: 1,543 61.1%
  • Playstation

Votes: 1,058 41.9%
  • Xbox

Votes: 46 1.8%
  • League of Legends

Votes: 101 4.0%
  • GTA

Votes: 236 9.3%
  • FIFA

Votes: 110 4.4%

• Total voters

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
My parents used to call my GameCube 'a PlayStation' and my PS3 a 'Nintendo'.

They've never heard of an Xbox.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at the ppl seriously thinking playstation.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's PlayStation then Pokemon then Minecraft then Fortnite. PlayStation s brand is so insanely powerful it carried them for the first five year shit show of the PS3 and Microsoft made zero in roads into Europe because of that brand.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the poll...

tenor.gif

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Pokemon is the biggest videogame franchise.

Nintendo is the biggest videogame conglomerate and the correct answer in the poll.

I think it's safe to say that Playstation is the most famous and biggest videogame console system brand and it does have the "xerox effect" when people just call any console a Playstation. Anyway, poll was about something else.

I forgot a thing: dear American friends, fifa is not a videogame brand. :)

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As for the second, playstations best selling exclusive on any system ever is uncharted 4 at 16 million, Nintendo has 5 with more then that on switch alone.

Those PS4 game sales numbers weren't updated for at least 8 months. Spider-Man for example sits at 13 million there, but that number was last updated in July 2019. Spider-Man has very likely surpassed 16 million sold copies by now (and is likely the most sold PS4 exclusive at this point) and Uncharted 4 is easily well over 16 million at this point too.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
lol at the ppl seriously thinking playstation.

While it would be too easy to point out your avatar being of Breath of the Wild and correctly assume you are a Nintendo fan, let's look at actual facts. Of the top 5 best selling consoles of all time, 3 of them are Playstation consoles. Remove handhelds and that number grows to 4. That's not to say that Nintendo isn't a huge brand nowadays because it is, but their IPs have grown bigger than the company itself. Just look at Pokemon Go. It literally had the entire world outside running after Pokemon 24 hours a day and it wasn't even Nintendo who made the game, it was GameFreak and Niantic. Let's not forget as good as the Switch is doing and the Wii sold, Nintendo has had quite a few stinkers sales wise in the console space.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It's Playstation and Nintendo. It's that simple.

Keeping in mind that I voted both, Playstation and Nintendo, how many of you who gave at least a vote to Playstation get hyped just by hearing this? LOL

I suspect it has a strong correlation.

god, this hype me so much. I still remember that thread about the GOAT hymn in sports and the OP didn't include the CL hymn.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
EDIT: Are you guys serious about Playstation right now, or is that just your preferred platform? Number 1 gaming post on IG doesn't mean squat when it comes to pure cashola and mindshare.
The only thing I can figure is it's a demographic thing. PlayStation dominates a number of European countries. It also skews older. Depending on where someone is located and who they hang out with that can really warp things.

WW it's easily, hands down Nintendo. Nintendo has been around longer and appeals to a much wider age group. Additionally they maintain their IPs whereas Sony tends to use them for a bit and then drop them. Because of that people are far more likely to be familiar with Nintendo related IPs and their association with the company.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
It's either PlayStation or Nintendo. With more recent times I'd lean towards PlayStation.

nintendo is up there based on the sheer number of massive franchises they have

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People should really read the OP and google "highest-grossing media franchises".
Get our of your bubble

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's Nintendo, not even close.

While it would be too easy to point out your avatar being of Breath of the Wild and correctly assume you are a Nintendo fan, let's look at actual facts. Of the top 5 best selling consoles of all time, 3 of them are Playstation consoles. Remove handhelds and that number grows to 4. That's not to say that Nintendo isn't a huge brand nowadays because it is, but their IPs have grown bigger than the company itself. Just look at Pokemon Go. It literally had the entire world outside running after Pokemon 24 hours a day and it wasn't even Nintendo who made the game, it was GameFreak and Niantic. Let's not forget as good as the Switch is doing and the Wii sold, Nintendo has had quite a few stinkers sales wise in the console space.
Might want to read the OP.
Note: Gaming Franchises like Mario or Minecraft are under the Hood of their respective Platform/Owner.

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
Lol this thread keeps going, lets settle this, i show a picture of Nathan Drake and Joel Drake (from The Last of Us) to my [91F] grandma and she instantly recognized both of them, this is how big Playstation is

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to agree PlayStation is the 'biggest' single name, but as has been pointed out, support and brand identification can be pretty shallow down to it being the sports box some casual dude bro play their FIFA games on. Nintendo has more deeply loyal fanbases, of their individial franchises and games.

So basically, PlayStation is the larger single brand but Nintendo has control over the biggest inventory of franchises and brands, including the 'Nintendo' brand itself. Most people may not know of specific hardware, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't sort of know what 'Nintendo' is or does, kind of like 'PlayStation.

If I could vote twice, I would give it a tie, but if forced to choose, Nintendo by default has the biggest brand(s), including their own brand.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
I tend to agree PlayStation is the 'biggest' single name, but as has been pointed out, support and brand identification can be pretty shallow down to it being the sports box some casual dude bro play their FIFA games on. Nintendo has more deeply loyal fanbases, of their individial franchises and games.

So basically, PlayStation is the larger single brand but Nintendo has control over the biggest inventory of franchises and brands, including the 'Nintendo' brand itself. Most people may not know of specific hardware, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't sort of know what 'Nintendo' is or does, kind of like 'PlayStation.

If I could vote twice, I would give it a tie, but if forced to choose, Nintendo by default has the biggest brand(s), including their own brand.

The biggest single brand is Pokemon, just think about Pokemon GO.

Playstation is the biggest videogame console brand, I think. Safe to say Wii isn't that big.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest single brand is Pokemon, just think about Pokemon GO.

Playstation is the biggest videogame console brand, I think. Safe to say Wii isn't that big.
You may be right on both counts, though I don't think you needed to bring Wii into this, it isn't even an option in the poll :P

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I like how people are putting "Zelda" in the same list as Mario and Pokemon in terms of brand power. lmao

There are gamers out there who actually think Zelda IS Link.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Ah, I should have read the OP. With the OP's note then Nintendo should be winning with an even bigger margin. The PlayStation console brand is biggest, but PlayStation has no individual IPs that can match the brand strength of Mario and Pokemon. Microsoft has Minecraft which is only a little below Mario, but the Xbox brand is weak in comparison to PS and Nintendo.

This discussion reminds me of an EZA Podcast episode where Kyle tried to argue that League of Legends is a huge game but a shitty brand.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
You may be right on both counts, though I don't think you needed to bring Wii into this, it isn't even an option in the poll :P

I was just thinking about what console could be called bigger than Playstation and the Wii came to mind :) still, I think that Playstation is the biggest videogame console brand. The Xerox effect is real here in europe, people do call any console a Playstation.

Regarding the poll tho, no point in arguing. It's Nintendo.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If Sony and Nintnedo launched the same hardware, same preci and same games I think people would prefer Sony's console due to ad recognition. Nintendo is probably stronger if it is something kids-related.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
If Sony and Nintnedo launched the same hardware, same preci and same games I think people would prefer Sony's console due to ad recognition. Nintendo is probably stronger if it is something kids-related.

No fucking way. Same third party games with Nintendo first party? No way.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
There is no way in hell a console with all the third parties plus Mario, Pokémon, Mario Kart and Smash will sell less than a console with all the third parties plus God of wars, the last of us and Horizon.

LMAO

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is the definite correct answer. Super Mario and Pikachu have got to be better known than literally any character created by any other company.

If you don't list Grand Theft Auto second though, I think you're crazy. The way those games seep into the mainstream transcend console manufacturers IMO.

Call of Duty is an odd absence, but perhaps would still rank below some of the other options on there.

Edit: I also do wonder how Lara Croft would rank on this list. Retro Lucozade-chugging Lara Croft, not the new version.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Hardware wise it is Xbox of course.
Software wise it is Pokemon, which is not a Nintendo IP technically.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Nintendo out of the ones you listed since mario is what popped into my head.

Jun 23, 2019
There is no way in hell a console with all the third parties plus Mario, Pokémon, Mario Kart and Smash will sell less than a console with all the third parties plus God of wars, the last of us and Horizon.

LMAO

Because Spider-Man, the biggest superhero in the world, totally doesn't have an exclusive title that broke records on one of those platforms either. Nope.

Jun 23, 2019
All the Switch titles listed have or will sell more than Spider-Man.

Way to miss the point. Trying to act as if Playstation doesn't have blockbuster selling titles themselves is being foolish. Also, people forget that not too long ago Sony's Gaming Division outsold Nintendo and MS combined in a quarter. Nintendo might have the biggest singular IP in Pokemon, but as of right now Playstation is the biggest gaming brand out there.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
Mario by itself has sold 100 million more than GTA and FIFA combined.
The gaming side of Pokemon is also bigger than all of those.
Not sure why any single series is even on that list when Mario is so far in the lead in that department it's not even funny.

As far as Producer brands go, it's hard to say.
Nintendo is probably the biggest brand specifically referring to game related material.
The Playstation brand is pretty huge too, but it's probably not at Nintendo's level.
Xbox kinda lacks the international presence the other 2 have, so I don't think it's much of a contender.