• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the biggest brand in Gaming?

• Nintendo

Votes: 1,543 61.1%
  • Playstation

Votes: 1,058 41.9%
  • Xbox

Votes: 46 1.8%
  • League of Legends

Votes: 101 4.0%
  • GTA

Votes: 236 9.3%
  • FIFA

Votes: 110 4.4%

• Total voters

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation makes about twice as much revenue as Nintendo so i think the answer here is pretty clear.
Not really, given that brand size is a far more nuanced subject than comparing money made.

You could easily compare the sales of A-List software developed by Nintendo with that of Sony and conclude that Nintendo's bigger, but you shouldn't- it's about more than that.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By far PlayStation. Look at how it outsold the competition, and it seemed like everyone in the world had a PS2.
But how much mindshare remained about the product (or the brand) itself?
LIke, a brand is more about the perceived look about a company, how people identify them or relate to the consumer experience.

I'd argue that probably those with PS2 would link the use of the console overall to the "GTA" brand more than to "Sony" or "PlayStation". Their attachment was to the game, not the console.

Nintendo does crazily great with this when even a jingle can elicit the memory and link to their own brand. Imagine a Mii, or the look of one of their Gamecube controllers, all turn back to them; Wii / DS sales notwhithstanding.

V5er

Nov 19, 2019
Obviously, Playstation. Even the presentation of the PS5 logo drew more viewers than the entire Xbox Series X reveal.

Georgeishon

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2018
Objectively, it's Nintendo. But this is a gaming forum with a clear bias towards PS, so I don't think everyone will vote Nintendo.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
This ranking had Nintendo at number 89 published October last year as a global brand, they have probably done better since. Decent for a gaming only company to get in the top 100 to be honest, surprised that Sony is at 55, so far below the likes of Samsung. Nintendo hasn't really exploited their IPs to their full potential outside of Pokemon. I guess there will be theme parks soon, but we don't get Mario or Zelda pushed as much outside of their games when it comes to toys/shows etc.

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
This ranking had Nintendo at number 89 published October last year as a global brand, they have probably done better since. Decent for a gaming only company to get in the top 100 to be honest, surprised that Sony is at 55, so far below the likes of Samsung.
sony and micorsoft are up high because they make things other than video games
at the top of the video game market is still nintendo

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo and Mario. I feel like more people have heard the name Mario than say, Joel. Young children to great grandparents know about Mario.

If we weren't just talking video games, MS might take the lead.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'd imagine even outside of Era the results would more or less be the same, PlayStation and Nintendo are by far the biggest things in gaming.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's PlayStation. The amount of interactions in social media any news about PS5 cause is insane.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Either Sony or Nintendo. I picked both. Couldn't chose between them.

Who is voting for Xbox? Lol I love my xbox, but it's nowhere near Sony or Nintendo in terms of brand power.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I chose League of Legends.

So the problem is that "gaming" as we know it, on this forum, is still predominantly packaged goods. Top platform like PS2 had ~150m in lifetime sales.

League of Legends had ~100m unique users per month a few years ago. It's probably much more than that in its lifetime. The problem is that it's a predominantly Asian game, as on a good day North America is still just ~5% of its DAU.

This forum doesn't have a good grasp of gaming as a global sector, especially with GAAS. To be fair, very little do and you can argue the two of them are the same thing (gaming) or very different things (I think many posters here still hate F2P).

Looking at just packaged goods, I'd say it's a close call between Nintendo and Playstation.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the new generation? Minecraft and Fortnite absolutely. Just because people who grow old with the NES and PS1 doesn't mean the new age give a fuck about a game they can't play on iPad or iPhone.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Best selling game of all time is still wii sports
second best selling game is still Super mario bros
But even with a stinker of a console (PS3), people will buy it just because of the PS name. I guess Vita is the exception.

Whereas Nintendo needs to make excellent software to move units. People buy their consoles specifically to play their games.

So for me the Playstation brand is just the strongest. But I would say Nintendo has the strongest software as people will shell out hundreds of dollars to play it.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I chose League of Legends.

So the problem is that "gaming" as we know it, on this forum, is still predominantly packaged goods. Top platform like PS2 had ~150m in lifetime sales.

League of Legends had ~100m unique users per month a few years ago. It's probably much more than that in its lifetime. The problem is that it's a predominantly Asian game, as on a good day North America is still just ~5% of its DAU.

This forum doesn't have a good grasp of gaming as a global sector, especially with GAAS. To be fair, very little do and you can argue the two of them are the same thing (gaming) or very different things (I think many posters here still hate F2P).

Looking at just packaged goods, I'd say it's a close call between Nintendo and Playstation.
Looking at Valorant, I'd say it's gonna be Riot games instead of just League.

Oct 25, 2017
Theres only one brand here who has a themepark created for it because ut draws in enough people. Thats not Playstation, and is not up for preference.
I mean, Nintendo has the bigger franchises/mascots and no-one (but crazy people) would argue otherwise. But PlayStation is the brand. Even when they fucked up hard with the PS3, botched the marketing, botched the launch, botched the price, they still sold 90 million or thereabouts and made a recovery because the brand is that strong. Nintendo couldn't do that with the WiiU, N64, or the Gamecube. So I'm only saying that I don't think saying PlayStation is a bigger brand, or at least as big a brand, as Nintendo is some crazy notion as folks in this thread are suggesting. If the question was "which has the bigger IPs" or something along those lines then yeah of course it'd be a one way massacre.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
It's PlayStation and it doesn't even make sense to discuss it. Followed by Nintendo, which has a nostalgia factor. But objectively, since PlayStation entered gaming it changed the industry and made it bigger and more accessible. And sales are there, it was always the market leader for a wide advantage except with the PS3.
Extra data, in almost all the world, gamers and non-gamers, when you talk about playing video games, you say "let's play the PlayStation", which is much more rooted in the perception of people than Nintendo or Xbox.

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
With the new generation? Minecraft and Fortnite absolutely. Just because people who grow old with the NES and PS1 doesn't mean the new age give a fuck about a game they can't play on iPad or iPhone.
I am the generation between the "Playstation and Nintendo are neck and neck" generation and the "Hey family let's all go play some Mario Kart or Wii Sports" generation, and I am on Team Minecraft. Fortnite and really any shooter games aren't my style.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Japanese Prime Minister dressed up as Super Mario to show off the japanese Olympic Games candidacy to the whole World.

sport-preview-shinzo-abe.jpg

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
lmao some of you are high af to not think its Nintendo.
PlayStation is an insane brand, but they don't have merch sales like Nintendo. Mario is on clothes, keychains, plushes, etc. Heck, they're about to have a theme park.

Its Nintendo and its not even close.
Pokémon, Mario, Zelda hell when Tetris launched on Gameboy it was a Nintendo exclusive.

The only Non-Nintendo brands even remotely close to those I mentioned above are Mine Craft and GTA.
Absolutely nothing Sony has is even close.
Mine Craft is so big MS won't dare remove it from any platform. Pokémon and Mario are even bigger.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I think a lot of people cant seperate the Brands from associated IPs, mascots or products. Crash Bandicoot is a big IP not owned by Playstaion but its heavily associated with Playstation. How does one value this?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not a Nintendo guy, but it's Nintendo by a country mile. Come on.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Different brackets. PlayStation is the biggest brand for core gamers. Nintendo is the biggest brand for casual gamers.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They are for families. Which is a bigger demopgraphic than people who think Playstation is a bigger brand lol.
If Universal or whoever ever thinks Playstation is a big enough brand to make a themepark out of it, notify me please.
Again, you're talking about a theme park. In most cases those families won't play videogames aside from the kid. Them going together to a theme park is irrelevant.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I would've said Nintendo and League of Legends, until I saw the world go nuts over a blogpost about the PS5 controller, yeah it's definitely Playstation and League of Legends