• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think is the best early (1985 - 1995) Mario game?

• Super Mario Bros

Votes: 31 4.9%
  • Super Mario Bros. 2

Votes: 29 4.6%
  • .Super Mario Bros. 3

Votes: 269 42.6%
  • .Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • .Super Mario World

Votes: 359 56.9%
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Votes: 127 20.1%
  • Other (Leave a comment)

Votes: 6 1.0%

• Total voters

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't huge on Yoshi's Island mechanics, and didn't play through too much of the game, so I can't comment on there. I voted for SMW, feeling that overall that's probably the best even though SMB3 was my favorite.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Personally, I think 3 and Yoshi's Island are the best, though I'd like to replay World as I've not played it for a good while, but as a kid I always like 3 more than world

100% this. SMB3 is the best "true" Mario from that period, and Yoshi's Island is possibly my favorite 2D platformer of all time, but I feel like I haven't given World a fair shot. It's odd, because I got it with my SNES, but I feel like I somehow played it far less than 3 or YI. I've been meaning to revisit it on Switch Online, but my backlog is so damn big.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
World and 3 are very close. But World is probably the slightly better and especially more charming game overall.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It's between SMB3 and Yoshi's Island. Both games still hold up incredibly well both visually and mechanically. Two of my all-time favorites.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ten years ago I would have said SMB 3, but the more times I go back to play World the more I fall in love with it.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
The only thing that SMW does better than SMB3 are secrets and world map. SMB3 has better levels,better world's,better power ups, is more challenging and there's warp whistles! How do you vote against warp whistles!?!

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Quite easily Mario World for me. Much more fun gameplay mechanics and flow than Mario Bros 3. Yoshi's Island and Mario Bros 2 are also up there.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's world it's not close and next in line would probably be land 2 and usa 2 yeah I said it

yoshi's island doesn't count

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
World=Yoshi>3>USA>1>2
Would be my preference.

World has the most variety, Yoshi is the best balanced between length and depth.
3 is great but the levels are too short.
USA is fantastic all around but far too easy.
1 is so rehashed at this point I just can't anymore. I remember loving it and recognize its merits, but I have several copies of it I didn't even mean to purchase. 2 feels like a rom hack of 1.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
World for me. I must have played through that game a million times when I was a kid. Best console launch title ever IMO.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
It's not that the others aren't great, but SMW is just perfect. Yeah, it's a bit on the easy side, but at least to me, it's just so much fun to play, even more than the others, even all these years later. Yoshi's Island would be my runner up. But really, they're all great.

I love every game on this list, except for Yoshi's Island, which I genuinely hate.

Why?

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Massive respect to Nintendo for trying something new and truly unique with the IP, but:

- I hate the aesthetic
- I hate the controls
- I hate the music
- I hate the baby Mario "mechanic"
- I hate the focus on collectables

I'd never call it a bad game (it's clearly not), but it's just not for me, at all. It's easily my least favorite of Nintendo's beloved games.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
I have always found myself torn between SMB 3 and world as my fave of the NES/SNES 2D games so I voted for them. Lately I would say 3 is my favorite, and World as a close second. Yoshi's Island is a very close 3rd.

Glad to see Lost Levels so low, playing that through not long ago its a game that starts off challenging, gets frustrating mid way, and is pure bullshit by the end. It was the right call to localize Doki Doki Panic as SMB 2.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Super Mario World is one of the best games of all time and in terms of Mario Games, is second only to Galaxy.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's SMB3, the only one that really holds up nowadays. Yoshi's Island is fantastic, and I possibly like it the best, but it's just so different that it's hard to compare it to the Mario platformers.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World rightfully winning the poll warms my heart.

Yoshi's Island is a very, very close second, but its relative lack of exposure will kill its chances.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My heart says Super Mario Bros (I could play it start to end every day for the rest of my life I reckon. It's my go-to game), but my head says Mario Bros 3.

I know I'm wildly in the minority but I never massively connected to Super Mario World like I did the NES games.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Lost Levels > 3 > 1 > World > 2 USA

All good to great games.

Never finished Yoshi's Island, but I really didn't enjoy the first world or so that I played.

Deleted member 4874

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Bros 3 is my favorite. World is a more refined game but 3 still ranks higher for me. Mario World 2 is great, but that crying baby still hurts my ears just thinking about it.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Yoshi's Island as a Mario game. It's a Yoshi game.

So in that case, it's SMB3.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
In my opinion SMB3 edges SMW in terms of music: I don't like the "one single melody arranged differently" approach in World.

Which is not a prejudice, because I LOVED when Nintendo took the same approach with Super Mario Land 2 and that game's music is an homerun.

Also... I hate the cape. It's awkward, and its use is just that much too complicated for a Mario game, especially in comparison to the Leaf.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Super Mario World is the best in terms of gameplay and visuals

Level design is iconic but SMB3 is great on its own merit too but SMW takes the vote for me

raangz

Oct 30, 2017
One of my fave Kondo tunes ever. Check this out as well.

hahaha i actually saw these guys live!! Was my last pre-pandemic show :(

They, however, did NOT play this song and i was pretty upset about it (not really tho bc the show was awesome as a whole.) They even had insaneintherain music as a guest performer!

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Mario 3's short, yet packed levels, power-up variety, minigames, items, even music... It's just the best Mario game.

Mario World is still great, but it feels a lot like a big regression from greatness to me. Kind of like how a lot of people feel about Super Castlevania IV compared to III (though it's my favorite Castlevania... But that's a different thread!)

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smb3 or Mario world, I think 3 just barely beats out world. YI is amazing but those damn vehicle levels really beings it down on replays for me, I hate those stages.

Nov 9, 2017
hahaha i actually saw these guys live!! Was my last pre-pandemic show :(

They, however, did NOT play this song and i was pretty upset about it (not really tho bc the show was awesome as a whole.) They even had insaneintherain music as a guest performer!

Hopefully they did their amazing version of the Tetris theme at least lol

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
SMW played on original hardware on a crt is one of the best controlling games I've ever played. It's such a joy to control Mario. For that alone I go with SMW even thought SMB3 is amazing

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
SMB3
I don't know, there's something about it. The graphics, the level design, the music..,
It may be nostalgia speaking but it feels like the pinnacle game of an era.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
World, but only just, and followed by SMB3.

Both are magical games full of invention on every level and packed with secrets.

SMB3 came out in 1988, but didn't make it to Europe until August 1991- we were still busy with our microcomputers. That meant that, for us, SMW releasing in April 1992 was only 8 months later. The leap felt utterly amazing.