• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's a more important aspect

• Gameplay all the way

Votes: 497 56.5%
  • Narrative is more important

Votes: 56 6.4%
  • It depends

Votes: 327 37.2%

• Total voters

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If a game sucks to play but has a good story, I can't play it and not sure how anyone really could given the medium.
Some people here are stating they would and hey, that's fine and part of the reason variety in this industry is very welcome. Deciding the future of the industry is one or the other, instead of "it depends" is very shortsighted.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
Good writing is always appreciated, but I prefer it if the story is actually integrated into the gameplay or is the gameplay itself. It can still serve to augment the vibe and tone of the game even if it isn't told in a particularly interactive manner, however.

That being said, my patience for games that don't focus on nailing the gameplay fundamentals (by which i mean making sure the basic actions you can perform are engaging) is diminushing everyday, though i'll find exceptions here and there. So yeah, gameplay is king all day everyday.

May 17, 2018
Of course it depends.

Plenty of games have better gameplay than something like SOMA or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, but those games stuck with me more than most action games ever will. And plenty of games have better narratives than DOOM Eternal or Bayonetta and those games are forever etched into my brain.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I would contest that this is "a great debate" at all, but judging from the answers, a whole bunch of you crazies actually think narrative is more important in a videogame.
So weird. I'm not with you at all on this one.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Both are very important to me so i usually try to find some balance, but i'm more likely accept a compromise on gameplay for good story than the other way around.

If a game has great gameplay but no story progression or a goal to keep me hooked i'll usually get bored really fast with nothing to look forward to.
I can't see myself playing something like The Sims, Animal Crossing, Just Cause or even Mario for more than 20 minutes.

With that being said, i like stuff like Diablo where the hook is on the loot, or racing/fighting games where the interaction is with other players.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've liked games purely for either side before.

So my answer is it doesn't matter as long as it nailed at least one of them.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would contest that this is "a great debate" at all, but judging from the answers, a whole bunch of you crazies actually think narrative is more important in a videogame.

You can prefer gameplay, but there's no rules in what a "videogame" should be. It just requires interactivity in some way.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

Could be the best gameplay in the world. Pointless if it's not attached to a compelling narrative that makes it worth it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Good gameplay can exist in a void with no narrative, whereas even the best narrative will suffer if it's surrounded by or padded out with bad gameplay.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Think of Tetris vs What Remains of Edith Finch. Or FIFA vs Dear Esther. Or Dead or Alive vs Inside.

It clearly depends.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If a game sucks to play but has a good story, I can't play it and not sure how anyone really could given the medium.

I agree with you if a game is outright bad to play, but there are a lot of games with average or serviceable gameplay, but where the art or music or story elevate them above that

I really liked Gris and Thomas Was Alone for example, and in terms of gameplay they're puzzle platformers that feel nice enough to play, but they're no where near the peak of that genre in terms of 2D action/platforming games. If you were to strip away the story/narrative from them, then they're pretty unremarkable

Now you may well have disliked those games, which is fine, but I think a lot of people will still enjoy games with only standard or serviceable gameplay as long as the whole package is interesting/enjoyable

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I love me a good story, but there's only been one exception where I've trudged thru mediocre gameplay for the sake of story, and that single exception was Planescape: Torment. Otherwise, gameplay has always been at the fore front of my gaming universe.

I would actually place music on equal footing with story. Gameplay > Music = Story.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It depends on the game. Like I wouldn't say Monkey Island 2 is a good game based on its gameplay loop of clicking on things, picking right choices, and using the right item on the right thing, but its story and writing elevates it to one of my favourites of all time.
That being said, gameplay is usually way more important to me. I think TLoU had a better story than Part 2, but I can't help but prefer the sequel more when the gameplay was practically infinitely improved from the original in every way.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Could be the best gameplay in the world. Pointless if it's not attached to a compelling narrative that makes it worth it.

Yeah see I disagree, I can play Tetris for decades and not have it attached to any narrative at all.

I'm really not seeing it.

Obviously the correct answer would be - it depends, because if a game is made to focus on narrative and have the gameplay elements only serve as a vehicle in between delivering the story, then yeah.

But in my mind, that's a different medium at that point.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Gameplay, but for some genres the narrative is hugely important. I don't think I would play for example the Yakuza games if they did not have the epic, convoluted yakuza main plotlines and the side stories ranging from silly to deeply moving. The writing is definitely a strength for them even though their gameplay systems are pretty good too.

There's also a lot of games where the gameplay is not that great but the stories make them worth playing. Most "walking simulators" and visual novels would fit this category.

Most great games have both compelling narrative and excellent gameplay mechanics.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I personally favor narrative over gameplay, because that's what touches me the most. I enjoy plenty of walking sims simply because they're good enough narratively that I don't pay any mind to the gameplay being simplistic or whatever.

But gameplay is very important, so the ideal is when I have a good balance of both.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
You can prefer gameplay, but there's no rules in what a "videogame" should be. It just requires interactivity in some way.

Sure, my argument is from my personal subjective view entirely.
Although I would say that not every interactive story is by definition a videogame.
For example, that interactive movie, Bandersnatch, is very interesting, but I'm pretty sure no videogame outlet ever reviewed it?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Probably an intersection of gameplay, aesthetics, and narrative. It varies from game to game, but they're interconnected. Gameplay and game design can be dragged down by narrative elements, creating a slog. Narrative elements can be dragged down by gameplay elements, creating tonal dissonance. Aesthetics (graphics, design, animations, etc.) create and set the tone for what is achievable in terms of world and gameplay.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think most people will have a preference for one over the other, but at the same time most people will still like both elements to be good

If you look at the GOTY list for most years on Era most of the top games will have decent gameplay and a focus on narrative. It's pretty rare to see a game that leans much, much harder on one over the other making the top of the list

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game, I feel narrative is more important for RPGs. Gameplay for everything else.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Both. Neither. It depends. This is always a weird question for me. Ideally the two are connected and feed one another, but "gameplay" and "narrative" can encompass lots of different things.

I'd say I respond to interesting game design - immersion, systems, world building, cohesion. My favorite game ever is Morrowind and I wouldn't call it particularly strong in terms of controls/game-feel or its main story in a conventional sense.

Or even Silent Hill 2. It doesn't control well, and stripped down to just a collection of cutscenes even the 'story' wouldn't leave that of strong of an impression. However take the atmosphrere, art direction, the ambient/environmental storytelling, the framing & composition, the music/audio design, the way even the puzzles and encounters reinforce the core themes, how your choices and actions are weighed organically throughout etc...etc...and you have arguably the greatest narrative achievement in a video game.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think most people will have a preference for one over the other, but at the same time most people will still like both elements to be good

If you look at the GOTY list for most years on Era most of the top games will have decent gameplay and a focus on narrative. It's pretty rare to see a game that leans much, much harder on one over the other making the top of the list
Agreed

I do find it almost funny when people go "gameplay is obviously the most important and narrative is barely relevant" and then you look at GOTY lists and it's usually has a huge narrative focused. It's almost like giving context to gameplay makes the gameplay more compelling.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Gameplay 100%. I mean that's the point of a game, yes? If you want to focus more on narrative maybe you're in the wrong creative field.

Izkda

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, my argument is from my personal subjective view entirely.
Although I would say that not every interactive story is by definition a videogame.
For example, that interactive movie, Bandersnatch, is very interesting, but I'm pretty sure no videogame outlet ever reviewed it?
Death Come True is also considered an interactive movie and it was reviewed by videogame outlets

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Depends. Sometimes I want to play a visual novel or Mass Effect style game.

Sometimes I want to play a Mario game.
Gameplay 100%. I mean that's the point of a game, yes? If you want to focus more on narrative maybe you're in the wrong creative field.
No, not solely. A main point of it is entertainment.

Games, movies, music, books, etc. All forms of entertainment.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Depends. Sometimes I want to play a visual novel or Mass Effect style game.

Sometimes I want to play a Mario game.
No, not solely. A main point of it is entertainment.

Games, movies, music, books, etc. All forms of entertainment.
Gotta disagree. Gameplay should be the forefront of the game creation process. I know some overlook gameplay shortcomings for narrative strength (ala Witcher 3) but that's never made sense.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It depends. For any game where narrative is given a substantial degree of focus, having a narrative that is bad is a deal-killer (hello, Fire Emblem: Fates, and Pokemon Sun and Moon), as the worst thing that can occur in a game is forcing yourself to slog through hours of terrible cutscenes. TLOU Part 2 is a 6/10 that could very easily have been a 10/10 if its narrative was remotely competent given how good its gameplay ended up being.

Conversely, a game with minimal narrative focus can get away with a bad story is the gameplay is good.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Death Come True is also considered an interactive movie and it was reviewed by videogame outlets

Obviously it's not clear cut, then?
I really don't want to argue how much interactivity you have to put on top of a movie to make it a videogame, but it's more than just "any", as was previously stated.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta disagree. Gameplay should be the forefront of the game creation process. I know some overlook gameplay shortcomings for narrative strength (ala Witcher 3) but that's never made sense.
That's the beauty of a message board; we don't have to agree! Some of the highest rated games ever are extremely narrative focused and have rudimentary gameplay loops/mechanics.

But none of those games aren't entertaining.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
You can't have one completely in service of the other, there has to be a balance. Often times when talking about "what's more important," there's this idea that like ... the game is purely narrative driven and must have horrible gameplay, or something.

My favorite games, the ones I remember the most, are the ones that have really great/memorable narrative and playable but not perfect gameplay. Red Dead 2, Red Dead, GTA:SA, Half-Life 2, Last of Us, Bioshock, Dishonored 1 & 2 (while the overall narrative in both games is weak, especially Dishonored 2, I think Dishonored 2 tells like 9 really tight stories at a per-level basis), Prey, MGS, etc... Like, games that have have great narratives or really high end ones, and have flaws in their gameplay but they aren't big enough flaws to ruin the game for me.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
If I'm playing a game, I want it to feel good to play. Otherwise why am I not just watching a movie or reading a book (which tend to have much better narratives anyway)?
This.

Also, for that matter, even if it's a really good narrative and the gameplay itself is slim, if the gameplay that's there is crap, it would hamper your enjoyment of getting from story A to story B.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't think I've ever finished a game for its story. There's a bunch of story heavy games that I hear are great, but I never finish them because I get bored.

I play games for the gameplay. It's the part that engages me. If I don't enjoy that, I just don't care.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
There's a famous quote about opera, it goes something like

"There are plenty of great operas with terrible librettos. There are no great operas with terrible music"

So goes it with games and gameplay.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously it's gonna depend on the type of game, but personally I'll always value gameplay over narrative.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Gameplay > Narrative.
I play games for interactivity. While I do love a good narrative, it's not what I look for.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It depends on the type of game. Just like some people prefer films with lots of action and visual effects while others prefer drama with good characters and story. (it's a film, not a book! I hear you say!)

Some games need a top notch gameplay to be great. (sports games, fighters, brawlers)

Some games need a top notch narrative to be great. (anything purely story-driven, Night in the Woods, Journey)

Most popular games need a neutral balance between the two. (Ratchet, HZD, Spiderman)

I have no preference between the two as long as the game designers were consistent with what they were trying to accomplish. Same for films, really. I love drama, I also love action with lots of vfx.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the "it depends" option, because it really does. In many good games, I feel gameplay and narrative are both important to the extent that the game would go from good to bad if either faltered significantly. Also, gameplay and narrative can sometimes take turns in propping up a game, so that my interest in the game is maintained even during low points in the narrative/gameplay. But then there are games that are almost all gameplay or all narrative, and those can be perfectly fine to. They don't really need the other part, so it's OK if it's minimal (or more substantial but nothing special). As long as it's not actively bad in an annoying (and lasting) way.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"Gameplay" is such a vague and broad term that often times encompasses narrative, and narrative can encompass "gameplay" as well. The main thing with games is that you are actively engaged with them, whereas with other narrative mediums like film, you are more passively engaged. As such, that active engagement is what makes games games, and so that has to be more important to the nature of games than the broader idea of "narrative" which can exist in any medium.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
For non sports/racing/rocket league type games, narrative is more important for me. No matter how good the gameplay is, the characters, the world, and the story are what hook me. So I guess "narrative" doesn't fit your poll but I still chose it and I believe that your use of narrative would include those things

for example, I wouldn't like Bloodborne as much as I do if I didn't fall in love with the world of the game despite its fantastic gameplay.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
"It depends" for me.

For a single-player game, in my case it is narrative for sure. Single-player games with little to no story just don't hook me or motivate me to play them, at all. I don't get motivated by scores or the idea of challenge for challenge's sake. (At least, not for games. )
For a multiplayer game, where you might spend 5 hours playing through the story once and then hundreds of hours in "endgame" content, it's really the "playing with my friends" aspect that hooks me, but the gameplay loop needs to be good enough that we all feel motivated to keep coming back, so in that case I'd go with gameplay.