• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uchikoshi's finest game is:

• 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Votes: 151 45.6%
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Votes: 134 40.5%
  • Zero Time Dilemma

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • AI: The Somnium Files

Votes: 41 12.4%
  • World's End Club

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Kotaro Uchikoshi is one of my favorite directors, his games and his style of writing is almost always captivating, and intriguing.

He's been working on a lot of games during his career, (Including Pepsi Man!) but is mostly known for his work on the Zero Escape series, a series of acclaimed visual novels that centers around characters forced to play a dangerous game.

The list consist only of the games that he has worked on as a director.

Which of his games do you think is his best one?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Virtue's Last Reward is my favourite.

I feel Somnium has his best writing, but I'm yet to finish it. Can't comment on World's End Club because I haven't played it yet, nor Ever17.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Virtue's Last Reward, but I haven't played anything from him that I didn't think was worthwhile (and I've gone through everything outside of the Memories Off series, Eve: New Generation (though I have a copy of it somewhere), Close To: Inori no Oka and the unknown erotic game he worked on lol), which is... 10 games. I'm working on World's End Club now.

Also, it's an outrage Pepsiman isn't an option! AN OUTRAGE!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to beat Somnium Files, but for me it's Virtue's Last Reward for the time being. Even though the ending mucks it up, it's an insane ride from start to finish that never relents on the intrigue.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
VLR. 999 is up there, too! Haven't been a fan of any of his other works. They range from okay (AI) to absolutely awful (ZTD, WEC)

Drillow

Oct 27, 2017
999 and VLR are my favourites and I didn't hate ZTD despite its problems.

Although I kinda liked the main mystery of AI: The Somnium Files, the childish and sexist humor was horrible and soured my experience of the game.

I haven't played World's End Club yet.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
VLR > 999 > Ever17 > Zero Time Dilemma > AI: The Somnium Files > Punchline

I haven't played World's End Club yet. I also used to have VLR two spots lower, but it's the only game of his that got more impactful and meaningful to me on replays. The top three are in a league of their own, but I still quite like ZTD and AI in their own right.

Last edited:

ImboSlice

Nov 30, 2017
Only ever played the Zero Escape games, but out of those it's definitely Virtue's Last Reward. Had such a blast playing this. I was on semester break back at my mom's house, glued to my Vita and to my comfy bed, surrounded by pages filled with notes on the puzzles. Wish I could relive it again.

Out of curiosity: If I liked the Zero Escape games (even ZTD was okay to me), will I like AI: The Somnium Files?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only ever played the Zero Escape games, but out of those it's definitely Virtue's Last Reward. Had such a blast playing this. I was on semester break back at my mom's house, glued to my Vita and to my comfy bed, surrounded by pages filled with notes on the puzzles. Wish I could relive it again.

Out of curiosity: If I liked the Zero Escape games (even ZTD was okay to me), will I like AI: The Somnium Files?

If you liked them for the story/mystery, most likely, yes. I highly recommend it to any Zero escape fans at any rate.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd say 999. I love VLR and liked ZTD up to a point, but I feel like the more he wrote the series and explored the morphogenetic field, the more it started to feel like it invalidated the previous entry and the narrative started to fall apart. Also VLR's entire existence sets up an epic final adventure in ZTD, which fell extremely flat.

I do feel like VLR might be the better journey though, the AB game setup is just *chef kiss*

I'd say World's End Club is easily the worst of them all though.

Virtue's Last Reward is my favourite.

I feel Somnium has his best writing, but I'm yet to finish it. Can't comment on World's End Club because I haven't played it yet, nor Ever17.

The pervyness really ruins AI's writing. It stands out really horribly.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
TBF Uchikoshi didn't write all of ZTD and the sections he did write were clearly superior to the ones he didn't.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The disrespect to his work on Pepsiman smh.

But it's probably 999. Love all the Zero Escape games, but VLR a bit too long (especially in comparison to the other two) and Zero Time Dilemma is a bit more rocky, writing wise.

AI's fun too, but yeah, the pervyness can definitely be a bit much.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely surprised to see VLR getting the majority here (so far). It's also my pick but I was under the impression people generally liked 999 a lot more.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

AI is more of a slow-burn (in the first like 5-10 hours or so nothing super intriguing happens), has almost objectively worse gameplay, and fewer and less impactful "mindblow" moments. The main character is also....really pervy. That being said, I can see the argument that it felt like it was full of more "heart" than the Zero Escape games and the characters were probably more well defined in certain regards. It also doesn't end on a cliffhanger like VLR and it has the least amount of silly bullshit that could signify potential "jump the shark" moments. I personally prefer the Zero Escape games in almost every regard but still enjoyed it. It definitely has Uchikoshi's brand of writing, though, so if you enjoy that it's recommendable.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
It's a tie between 999 and VLR, both of those are equally amazing but for different reasons.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Remember 11. It still retains his trademark plot twist style, but actually feels somewhat fresh and original.

O the ones he directed, 999. It's the most well put together, doesn't overstay its welcome, actually makes good use of multiple endings, and has the best characters. And it's the first time he did the whole death game scenario, so it's at least somewhat original, even if it borrows heavily from his previous work.

VLR's good too, and in some aspects better than 999, but it just feels too derivative. And also
I just can't get past the fact that one of the big twists is literally copy-pasted from his previous games. Except he just copies the twist, and not any of the setup that made the twist work in the first place, making the actual twist completely nonsensical.

ZTD's bad, I couldn't get more than an hour into AI because I just grew tired of his writing, and I haven't played World's End Club.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Sigma saying "but you didn't do that last time!" after Alice chooses betray is such a small moment, but it genuinely stayed with me all of these years because of the impact it had on me. VLR is filled with those moments. Ugh, it's SO good.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely surprised to see VLR getting the majority here (so far). It's also my pick but I was under the impression people generally liked 999 a lot more.
i'm somewhat surprised too. 999 is a game that sticks the landing more and makes a better final impression because of it, but I feel like your ultimate enjoyment of the game hinges on how you parse the ending. In its moment-to-moment story, it can get very passive and unassuming, contrast to VLR where certain routes go topsy turvy with how much info you absorb. I feel it's a way better paced game overall.

Sigma saying "but you didn't do that last time!" after Alice chooses betray is such a small moment, but it genuinely stayed with me all of these years because of the impact it had on me. VLR is filled with those moments. Ugh, it's SO good.
Yeah that was one of many moments that stuck with me in a crazy way.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
999 (specifically, the DS version) is a masterpiece of narrative and hardware. The ending is one of my favourite moments of any game, ever.
I have no idea how other platforms handled 999, but on DS, it just blew my mind.

Last edited:

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I've only played the Zero Escape trilogy out of these. 999 was fantastic but kind of a pain to replay. VLR was even better, with way more interesting characters and way better puzzles. The visuals and atmosphere getting slightly worse is my only real criticism. Zero Time Dilemma is awful and will forever be awful, it's my biggest gaming disappointment of all time.

I think VLR is the better game but ZTD really hurt it after most plot points left in that game amounted to nothing. 999 stands on its own perfectly to this day. So I voted that even if I prefer VLR.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
999 (specifically, the DS version) is a masterpiece of narrative and hardware. The ending is one of my favourite moments of any game, ever.
I have no idea how other platforms handled 999, but on DS, it just blew my mind.
The quality of life improvements on the other versions are way better, especially the flowchart, and the VA is very good, though unexpectedly the whole dual screen element which was 999's real stroke of genius is weaker overall. The final puzzle in particular was redesigned and is nowhere near as clever

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Probably VLR for me, too. Ever 17 and 999 had stronger major twists and both end on a massively high note, but they're honestly fairly boring for a lot of their run time. E17 more so, since I didn't particularly love the cast. VLR has some absolutely ludicrous (and some straight up copied) twists, but it was the most consistently entertaining from beginning to end for me. I recall enjoying Remember11 more than E17.

But honestly, it has been a LONG time since I played any of these. Should definitely replay them one of these days.

I thought ZTD and AI were both unfortunately really mediocre. AI had some good story telling moments in one of the branches (I think it was the one about the boy with a mother with dementia or something?) but overall it was really forgettable.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
It's 999, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone saying VLR as that was also fantastic. ZTD is a dumpster fire that tries its hardest to retroactively ruin the series and I'm definitely not ever playing AI after hearing about how the MC is an annoying pervert non-stop.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
999 but VLR is a close second.

I tried to play the Somnium Files but couldn't get through it for whatever reason. I think it was because i wanted all the dialogue in the gameplay sections but to do that you have to fail constantly due to the time limit, and i got tired of it. I'm playing WEC right now and enjoying it so far, though it seems much more simple.

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
I've only played 999 and AI and between the two I much preferred the latter. AI's murder mystery was right up my alley, the atmosphere at the start with the merry go round hooked me immediately, and I found most of the cast charming (and a few of their stories, like Ota's, caught me off guard with where they went). I never really took to 999's cast and I think that and the glacially slow beginning tainted my experience, honestly.

EmilExpy

Apr 30, 2021
999 because I played it on the DS and it was my first exposure to his games. VLR is a close second and I enjoyed the characters more.
Next would be Ever17. I enjoyed AI Somnium Files more but it felt really derivative.
haven't played ZTD and maybe I lucked out there.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Ever17, the rest of his games are basically him reusing the same ideas over and over.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
VLR is one of the best games ever.

VLR -> AI -> 999 -> trash -> ZTD

OP
OP
Irene

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Stomaching the more eye-rolling aspects of AI can be hard, which is a shame because otherwise it's fantastic, with an insane endgame twist that just ties everything together so amazingly, not to mention the wholesome credits sequence.

999 is just masterful in every aspect. I much preferred its take on the Nonary game over VLR.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
It's 999. Best characters in the series, great sense of mystery and overall a very enjoyable game from start to finish. VLR is good, I'd argue better than 999 at some points, but I feel it's lacking on its own, a lot of its mysteries don't really get an answer till the, disappointing, sequel. AI is decent, but the humor of the game kind of kills any chance it had, for me. I can't comment on his latest game, art style looks nice, but the gameplay seems super awkward.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
From those I played it would be 999.

Didn't he worked on stuff like Ever17 and that Punchline franchise ?

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
It's 999. Best characters in the series, great sense of mystery and overall a very enjoyable game from start to finish. VLR is good, I'd argue better than 999 at some points, but I feel it's lacking on its own, a lot of its mysteries don't really get an answer till the, disappointing, sequel. AI is decent, but the humor of the game kind of kills any chance it had, for me. I can't comment on his latest game, art style looks nice, but the gameplay seems super awkward.

Yep what I liked most about 999 was how grounded and self-contained it was. VLR had many amazing moments, but the whole thing was a set up for ZE 3 so it never gave me a sense of closure.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Agreed, that was the moment that cemented VLR as a fantastic game to me. 999 is still a game that I love, but the way that VLR played with the whole concept of the game has stuck with me a lot longer, and the reveals at the end completely got me.

Also 999 had the issues of having to repeat a LOT of the story to get to the different endings back on the DS. The twist was incredible, but I was sick of the puzzles by the end. Haven't had time to try the remade version though.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Yep what I liked most about 999 was how grounded and self-contained it was. VLR had many amazing moments, but the whole thing was a set up for ZE 3 so it never gave me a sense of closure.
Thoroughly agreed. VLR's a more polished game than 999 but doesn't have the same atmosphere, and badly suffers from lacking a proper ending.
999's a little bit clunky in places, but it's the most consistent of the series.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
VLR but 999 is a very close second.
His earlier games I'm guessing most haven't played like Ever17, 12Riven: The Psi-Climinal of Integral and Remember11: The Age of Infinity? Out of those I've only played Ever17 and it was decent but I definitely think despite his later games recycling his twists, I feel his writing improved in 999 and VLR. Or at least, I liked the characters in those games more.

I really want to play Remember11 one day.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Pleasantly surprised to see VLR on top in this poll, I always remember the consensus being that 999 was on top. It's amazing how a game that doesn't even really have an ending because it's all one big elaborate set-up to its sequel can still be so damn satisfying, even when that sequel completely whiffed on the payoff. VLR will always be one of my favorite games.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
999>VLR>>AI>>>>>>>>ZTD

Not to be dramatic but ZTD was one of the most disappointing sequels for me. Currently playing through WEC and it will probably land between AI and ZTD.