• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
The PS5 version does more than just increase the resolution, but not a whole lot more. The only other improvements I can remember noticing and/or seeing discussed online are improved shadows, increased particle effects, some improvements to grass rendering, and I think perhaps some minor improvements to certain textures. I wish they would have improved the texture filtering and LOD management, as I feel there should have been headroom for that. But I suppose the ability to play at 2160p CBR, 60fps with Dualsense features and 3D audio is nice. I actually feel the Dualsense implementation was one of the better ones I've encountered so far. Not Returnal or Astro level, but still quite good.

Fantastic at a macro level, needs some work at micro level. Very beautiful art direction.
This sums it up perfectly. The overall image looks great but individual details don't hold up to scrutiny. I think their foliage rendering and particle effects systems are very impressive, and the dynamic lighting can look really impressive at times. But flatter surfaces such as rocks looked very low res. Smaller bodies of water such as lakes looked fine, but larger moving bodies of water looked very PS3-ish. I also think the game has some of the worst-looking snow I've seen in a AAA title in quite a while.

Looking forward to what they do in the sequel visuals-wise, because they have the art direction down, and hopefully the juice of a PS5 exclusive means they can focus more on the finer details.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
technically it's pretty average - the AC games are more impressive. im pretty sure some people thought it was a PS5 when first revealed which is lol
Yes and no. I'd say it's about on par with AC Odyssey and Valhalla. I think character-rendering for main characters might be better in GoT, and I think foliage and particle effects are better as well. AC games have MUCH better water rendering though, and some higher-quality assets on many surfaces.

I think animations in GoT are also more impressive than recent AC games, which I feel look quite janky in combat by comparison.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
The game is beautiful.

Some of you out here with microscopes checking for puddles and rock textures though, trying to nitpick the heck out of some games instead of just enjoying shit lol.
Having an interest in graphics analysis doesn't mean someone is failing to enjoy the game. This is literally a thread to discuss the graphics, so not sure what type of comments you were expecting?

I can simultaneously enjoy playing a game, appreciate its art direction and take note of different graphical elements that I like or don't like. That doesn't detract from my enjoyment one bit - sometimes it can add to it for me as I might notice things I wouldn't have otherwise.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It is beautiful because art direction is amazing, but at a technical level I do not feel is that impressive just good.

it is a beautiful game but is not the graphic-defining game some people make it to be.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's OK. Looks pretty nice at times but I do think it's a little more visually inconsistent than some of their other games. Likely just a matter of pushing specific tech hard, like the grass, to nail the vibe they were going for.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The only visual problem I had with Zero Dawn is character facial animations because they tended to look uncanny and were often the center of attention (GoT has a similar problem sometimes in non-cutscene dialogs, but beautiful framing often hides that).

Things like water.... I've played all the games you mentioned (in case of Watch Dogs - worked on it), and honestly I still fail to see the argument. By this logic, is Breath of the Wild one of the worst looking open-world games?
BOTW somehow managed to have a way better looking water shader than both GoT and Horizon ZD.

Like, yes, if you just compare the water of Ghost of Tsushima against water in other games, it is not the best. It is also not bad. It is good water. Besides, when I am playing a game, I don't look JUST at the water, I look at everything in tandem. There is still a matter of art direction, if one would apply Forbidden West water implementatiom which looks great there to Ghost of Tsushima, it would've looked horrible. Water in GoT follows the rest of the art style principles of the game.
I would've preferred that they applied the look of the water from the original trailer that looked way better? And again it's not just water. The game can genuinely go from looking amazing to meh depending on the location on the map. It's not the most consistent title visually and hopefully the sequel will improve on that in the same way that HFW addressed literally every visual shortcoming of the first game.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017
The game is amazing, especially for PS4. But on PS4 as well. There aren't too many PS4 ports runinng on 4K60 from Sony and this one just looks stunning. Yeah in some situations it doesn't but which game does look amazing all the time? Especially looking at OW games I don't know too many games that can hold up with GoT

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The game is amazing, especially for PS4. But on PS4 as well. There aren't too many PS4 ports runinng on 4K60 from Sony and this one just looks stunning. Yeah in some situations it doesn't but which game does look amazing all the time? Especially looking at OW games I don't know too many games that can hold up with GoT
.......Uhhh..a lot of Sony PS Studios games? GoT is absolutely their most inconsistent looking end of generation title.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I could find some bad-looking corners in TLOUII as well, no problem
It is not generally inconsistent though. And man you'd be hardpressed to even try that. I have a metric fuckton of TLOU2 shots if only because that game was incredibly consistent. It's not about seeing a piece of low poly fruit in some obscure corner. GoT has multiple locations and visual aspects that bring its presentation down. Ofc people are far more likely to say, remember the introduction than the hot springs you have to go to.

Oct 30, 2017
Some of you out here with microscopes checking for puddles and rock textures though, trying to nitpick the heck out of some games instead of just enjoying shit lol.
I disagree. People are mentioning it because there are rocks and water features everywhere in the game and it highly contrasts with the parts of the game that do look really good.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
A thread about GoT without many images? This is blasphemy!

FWXPJqUXwAEmZuv

Source

Not only is it gorgeous in images, it's also breathtaking in motion

View: https://twitter.com/Much118x/status/1509956815546732556?s=20&t=Ne6H0pgQ3-n9qxgYHKCsAA

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021
It has the best grass last gen, and hasnt yet been topped.

A lot of other things suffers from inconsistency. Overall look is beautiful though.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
Don't know about graphics, but the game was the only one where i stopped and took photos. It's the best looking PS4 game for me.
This.

The game looks incredible.

No offence to the OP, but it saddens me that gaming has become so much about textures and whatnot, and less about what the game itself is. I know people that will straight up refuse to play a game if DF do a review of a game, and find a few rough edges on the technical side of things. Maybe it's cause I remember the days of the Mega Drive and how much fun I had back then, but graphics have just never been much of a priority for me. That being said, I still think the game looks incredible! 😁

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I was not asking for a dictionary definition. I want you to tell me if I think a game looks good - how/why am I overrating?
I think in general people see a lot of tall grass and leaves falling and instantly call it one of the best looking games of all times. I agree at times it looks great, however the textures are pretty low-res, characters are not up to par with other Sony first party, and ocean/water looks terrible. Technically speaking when we talk about "graphics" I don't think the game looks that great, however people conflate graphics with art direction to make the claim that the graphics are amazing.

You can instantly tell the graphics are meh because you barely ever see people taking pictures of the game in the third region which doesn't have all the pretty tall grass and leaves.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The best ps4 looking game. The PS5 edition looks so damn good as well.
I really want an Elden Ring like game with these graphics

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know I'm not breaking out a magnifying glass while playing a game. It looked great to me and everyone who saw me playing it gamer and non gamer alike.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
amazing macro level, so-so micro level

the thing is though, the game itself focuses on big vistas so, goal accomplished.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, it seems fine to me. I've never been a stickler for graphics and overall I feel art direction is more important.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The best ps4 looking game
Is TLOU2 hands down. Or Death Stranding. All three games look insane but those two in particular have a level of consistency that makes them at times look a generation ahead, held back by the hardware they're running on.

Not only is it gorgeous in images, it's also breathtaking in motion
I think you can do a LOT better than a twitter video if you want to highlight how the game looks gorgeous in motion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my62R7QUf00

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Is TLOU2 hands down. Or Death Stranding. Both games look insane.

I think you can do a LOT better than a twitter video if you want to highlight how the game looks gorgeous in motion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my62R7QUf00

TLOU2 is a gorgeous game, however Ghost just wows me more with what is going on. I guess the art style wins me over. Especially during some of the duels.
I cannot say much about Death Stranding since I never played it. I legit own a copy of it but haven't even played it. I should change that.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it yet but from all the footage it looks ace overall. I can nitpick low res textures in many games but the overall impression of GoT is solid for me. That foliage and night lighting is impressive

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
I've been stuck on a 1080p TV with base PS4 for so long now and I wonder how far behind I really am (objectively, I suppose, 9 years?) I've still yet to have that "holy shit" moment in recent years like when I toted a 20" CRT with a Gamecube and went to play Xbox 360 on a 32" 720p screen at a friend's in 2006.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most beautiful games ever, accentuated by one of the best HDR implementation in gaming.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
Just started the ps5 ps+ edition and well, the graphics during gameplay are pretty whelming. Nothing wrong with it but i dont see anything *during gameplay* that makes me say "wow, this looks amazing".

Witter

Apr 12, 2022
I started playing the director's cut on PS5 when the ps plus launched, and the graphics are very good. The part when you are learning different moves, and the leaves are all over the floor looks incredible

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
But it doesn't run at 4k unless you pay another $30 for the PS5 upgrade. And on the base PS4, even at the much lower resolution, it really struggles with the framerate a lot. There's tons of times it drops down to the low 20s, especially when in combat (when you really need the frame rates)

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
it looked pretty good. though I don't expect that much from open world games so I can excuse muddy textures here and there. the cohesiveness of the art really tied it all together though some people may not like how little visual variety there is

I'm not even a fan of ghosts of tsushima either

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I would've preferred that they applied the look of the water from the original trailer that looked way better? And again it's not just water. The game can genuinely go from looking amazing to meh depending on the location on the map. It's not the most consistent title visually and hopefully the sequel will improve on that in the same way that HFW addressed literally every visual shortcoming of the first game.

You have to provide examples of what you consider to be a consistent game, because your example of "meh" for GoT has been a good looking screenshot. And if THAT'S inconsistent then I wonder what open-world game can be considered consistent as it is natural for some locations to look better than others.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The art direction is beautiful but I don't think the graphics are good. They're average at best. Water and mud effects are very lacking. The textures are soft and muddy even compared to other open world games. Red Dead and Assassin's Creed look so much better.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You have to provide examples of what you consider to be a consistent game, because your example of "meh" for GoT has been a good looking screenshot. And if THAT'S inconsistent then I wonder what open-world game can be considered consistent as it is natural for some locations to look better than others.
TLOU2, HFW, Spiderman, Death Stranding are all way more consistent imo. You have to go out of your way to find inconsistencies or weaker looking locations in those and there's generally a higher level of polish. This is SP's first attempt at this type of game and GG had the same growing pains that were addressed in the sequel.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
TLOU2, HFW, Spiderman, Death Stranding are all way more consistent imo. You have to go out of your way to find inconsistencies or weaker looking locations in those and there's generally a higher level of polish. This is SP's first attempt at this type of game and GG had the same growing pains that were addressed in the sequel.
TBH, even though they don't hold up as well, I'd argue that sly and the infamous games are more cohesive, with a similar level of asset quality throughout.

In the image in question, I know we're supposed to be looking at the grass and whatever, but I'm constantly distracted by how flat the trees that take up half the shot look

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It looks incredible barring the facial animations and some bad low res textures. It's animations are also leagues behind that of Naughty Dogs titles.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
It was eyecandy for sure. Played it on ps4 pro and returning to it for the expansion on ps5.

One comment, not regarding the graphics but..

jfc what is this games' obsession with taking your horse away. First Nobu, which really hurt and then we were supposed to care about some replacement that towards the end of the main game I had no attachment to, and now the replacement gets TAKEN TOO?! Although their fate is ambiguous when it happens.

I just started the expansion so I don't know if it'll return, but if it doesn't, man..

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What a weird thread. It's one of the most beautiful games of the PS4 generation.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
It's still the most impressive game I've played on PS4 to be honest. I know it isn't on the technical aspect, but man.... That grass is just too good.

It was eyecandy for sure. Played it on ps4 pro and returning to it for the expansion on ps5.

One comment, not regarding the graphics but..

jfc what is this games' obsession with taking your horse away. First Nobu, which really hurt and then we were supposed to care about some replacement that towards the end of the main game I had no attachment to, and now the replacement gets TAKEN TOO?! Although their fate is ambiguous when it happens.

I just started the expansion so I don't know if it'll return, but if it doesn't, man..
I was shocked too when that happened again, it was clearly a self conscious joke at that point. Just play for like 5 minutes more and it will be back.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I found the first two areas and the added DLC island looked great!(even better with the PS5 upgrade) but found the snow area to me a little lacking though, I think I was just used to all the foliage from the previous areas it looked a little bland to me.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Technically fine, but in terms of art direction it's really good. I find it better looking than TLOU 2 despite it's huge lead technically, due to the art style.