• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
What do I feel? Snake got robbed! That's how I feel. They made a big stink about Snake not having "Real" guns for brawl but now everyone can have a gun. (Booooo!)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Already happened with Bayonetta?

People keep saying that gun has magic bullets but if it isn't charged the bullets she shoots are real.

The issue with Bayonetta's is that they have those big crystals in the middle. They're obviously not real guns even if they're seemingly shooting bullets.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo probably assumes their audience is familiar with the character and know its an airsoft gun

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
No, I didn't play the game. I said it based on my understanding that the characters take on different forms and gain powers in the other realm.

But airsoft guns are still different from real guns. So I'm not sure I understand your nitpick here?

I'm just saying it's not a real gun in the context of either reality or the demon world.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it's good, because I prefer & wish that Nintendo would go a lot less kiddie in their art style, and change more to mature/realistic art styles

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Seems like one less argument for *you know who* to be in it <3

Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder that Joker is a gun-toting, trenchcoat-wearing high school student who talks about bringing down the establishment and only dates Japanese women and girls.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
04b.jpg

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Before Bayo we already had Snake using all kinds of real life weapons on characters. Seems fine to me. Hopefully Master Chief comes with this fighter pass. 3 shot pistol and all.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Doomguy please. He doesn't even need realistic guns. He has enough energy weapons and rocket launchers to fill the void.

Doomguy without the shotgun or chainsaw is no Doomguy to me.
But we got Joker here with a realistic handgun. Double barrel shotgun should be fine now let's go

Doomguy ot Master Chief in this fighter pass or I'm disappointed

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already happened with Bayonetta?

People keep saying that gun has magic bullets but if it isn't charged the bullets she shoots are real.
TBF aesthetic and visual identity of Bayo's guns muddle it heavily

Joker's gun is canonically fake, but in terms of combat and design, that little * doesn't really actually matter at all.

Guns(and most weapons) in P3-P5 have always been stupid and weirdly childish though

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the issue was ever how real the gun looks (while Bayonetta's guns look less realistic than Joker's, I'd still say they look realistic enough), but rather how realistic the gunfire is. They straight up removed the bullets from Bayonetta's guns in Smash, and it looks like Joker doesn't actually fire bullets either, instead opting for a stylish flash upon firing. It works for characters from more flashy, less realistic franchises like Bayonetta and Persona, but not so much for stuff like Metal Gear or Resident Evil, I'd say.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the issue was ever how real the gun looks (while Bayonetta's guns look less realistic than Joker's, I'd still say they look realistic enough), but rather how realistic the gunfire is. They straight up removed the bullets from Bayonetta's guns in Smash, and it looks like Joker doesn't actually fire bullets either, instead opting for a stylish flash upon firing. It works for characters from more flashy, less realistic franchises like Bayonetta and Persona, but not so much for stuff like Metal Gear or Resident Evil, I'd say.
Chris Redfield's guns in MvC3 have a flashy effect to them, and he works perfectly fine there.

I don't think it's a matter of tonal consistency with the source material. I think Sakurai has just relaxed a bit on this front. Back in the Brawl days, he also said he didn't like the idea of people playing as their Miis and beating up each other. That obviously changed with Smash 4. I think something similar happened here.

I recall him once saying that he gave Snake heavy ordnance because explosions can still be "cartoony," but he withheld Snake's firearms because they were realistic-looking. Now we have Joker with an airsoft gun that looks like, and may as well be a real gun. I think Sakurai is just easing up on this matter.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I can understand how this might normalize guns to an impressionable kid or not be cool with some parents, but Smash Bros. is far from the most prominent or visible game showing off guns as cool or powerful.

Also, in a world where we have shit like that "Rape Day" game being accessible to anyone online, Joker having a gun in Smash Bros. is not gaming or media's biggest problem with normalizing violence, lol.

EDIT: I think Joker being paid DLC also plays a factor. If any parents of young children that play Smash Bros think Joker's gun is inappropriate for their kid, they've made it easy enough to just skip this particular fighter pack.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Who cares really, Nintendo should drop the family friendly deal when they make games like Xenoblade 2 & Bayonetta 2.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i imagine the justification is the same as it was in p5, which is something like "appearance makes reality". so i you think you have a real gun, it becomes one in the subconcious world.

and even if it didn't, i have no problems with it. kids know games are not real, and it's not real enough to inflict any sort of trauma on players.
Before Bayo we already had Snake using all kinds of real life weapons on characters. Seems fine to me. Hopefully Master Chief comes with this fighter pass. 3 shot pistol and all.
snake very explicitly doeasn't use a gun, though.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was curious if anyone was going to say something about this. It was a bit weird at first, but then i thought about bayonetta who technically has the same thing
so I was ok with it.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Snake uses grenades, rocket launchers and C4. I'm ok with it.
I remember people saying that the reason why Snake didn't got a semi-automatic pistol as one of his attacks was exactly because it would look "too realistic". The OP's point that, with Joker neutral b, that argument is gone

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The number of people who don't actually read the original post is always funny. I think it's fine and like you said potentially opens the doors for other unexpected characters to join.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
ITS MEANS DOOM SLAYER HAS A CHANCE! And yeah despite the lore of both games for all intents and purposes its just a fucking handgun which we originally thought was off limits.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I thought the reason why the model guns worked in P5 was because the enmies believed they were real in their cognition. As long as joker and friends acted like they were real the enemies would percieve then as real. How does work in smash, with characters that have no notion of what a gun is? How does Mario know what a gun is? Sakurai pls

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I dont care at all. Im a grown ass man rhat knows the difference and most kids will too

Status
Not open for further replies.