• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Hi,

I would have some advices before buying a new TV.
I'm particularly interested by Philips TV. I watched this video where it seems that Philips handle very well motion interpolation :

youtu.be

Philips OLED 55 POS9002 mit Ambilight im Test, Bildvergleich mit LG B7

Christian Trozinski vom HDTV Magazin präsentiert euch den Test zum neuen Philips OLED-TV 55POS9002. Gelingt es Philips mit der P5-Bildengine und einem attrak...

but I don't speak German (can any one translate please ?) so I can not understand if there is visible artifact or if it's minimal ? I know the input lag is higher than any LG Oled TV but I'm not gonna play competitive game on it. Only solo game.

I know that Samsung, Lg and other brand have issue with motion interpolation. Maybe Philips is better ?

he's trying Horizon later in the video and both TV Philips (left) and LG (right) but I cannot feel the artifact on either tv.

what do you think ?

thank you :)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The biggest issue historically had been the input latency penalty, but several flagship TVs have it with a minimal hit.

I've tired playing games with it and the actual effort of smoothing the image is pretty convincing - the real issue is that you WILL end up seeing ghosting and artifacts sometimes. It depends a lot on the content and the type of game you are playing.

I wouldn't base a purchase on it, but it doesn't do any harm to try and see what you think.

The issue with the video he had posted above is that it's A: Tiny on screen and B: Shot at 30fps - so the actual interpolated frames may be removed altogether or blurred into the really frames in this video- making it harder to see them.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
note that i don't have a modern TV so my take might be outdated. Remember that i also game on PC (on a TV with a controller; my PC is basically a console)

My experience with these types of technologies are:
  1. there is a slight input lag; very noticeable in games that require precise inputs such as fifa, fighting games and rythmic games
  2. There are artifacts created when the game has movements quickly. this to me happened very evidently in Fifa, and dogfights in space games.
Personally It didn't add anything to my experience so i deactivate the mode.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

OP
OP
ppn7

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Maybe this one is better to see the benefits and drawbacks ?
youtu.be

Xbox One X und Philips Natural Motion: Grafik Booster für 30 FPS Games

Christian Trozinski vom HDTV Magazin präsentiert euch einen neuen Bildvergleich. Im Video wird die Xbox One X Darstellung im Game Mode (keine Zwischenbildber...

It seems inevitable to have some artefacts with max interpolation but minimize them by lowering settings seems possible ?
I'm interested by Philips for the ambilight mode too. Waiting for new 2.1 hdmi mini led or oled from 2021.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, why is motion interpolation more important to you than low input latency and a cleaner image?

Smoother framerates are valuable for their look and feel and it seems like getting one without the other might not be a good way to choose a display.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Maybe this one is better to see the benefits and drawbacks ?
youtu.be

Xbox One X und Philips Natural Motion: Grafik Booster für 30 FPS Games

Christian Trozinski vom HDTV Magazin präsentiert euch einen neuen Bildvergleich. Im Video wird die Xbox One X Darstellung im Game Mode (keine Zwischenbildber...

It seems inevitable to have some artefacts with max interpolation but minimize them by lowering settings seems possible ?
I'm interested by Philips for the ambilight mode too. Waiting for new 2.1 hdmi mini led or oled from 2021.
for example in that video halo wars suffers immensily in interpolation mode. ALso you don't need to play games at 30 FPs, jsut decrease the graphics to push higher framerate.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
You get "60 fps" in exchange for a clean artifact free image and lower input lag. Kind of like Stadia then.

OP, why is motion interpolation more important to you than low input latency and a cleaner image?

Smoother framerates are valuable for their look and feel and it seems like getting one without the other might not be a good way to choose a display.
This. The point of higher framerates is more responsiveness, not less.

OP
OP
ppn7

ppn7

May 4, 2019

I would say I really can not enjoy 30fps game. on console there are still 30fps caplocked games. I'm ok with 40fps but not under. That's why i was thinking about motion interpolation.

for example in that video halo wars suffers immensily in interpolation mode. ALso you don't need to play games at 30 FPs, jsut decrease the graphics to push higher framerate.
I can't lower the graphics on console. But usually I prefer good graphics on solo game but not 30 FPS, 40 would be enough for me. I know 60 FPS interpolation would have lot of artifacts but maybe minimal at lower settings ?

You get "60 fps" in exchange for a clean artifact free image and lower input lag. Kind of like Stadia then.

This. The point of higher framerates is more responsiveness, not less.

not necessarily responsiveness. I can leave with some input lag playing RDR2 or TW3 but I can't enjoy these games at 30FPS visually. The motion is horrible. And worse on Oled i suppose due to its pixel response which is greater than LCD panel.

I'm sure motion interpolation can be tweaked but the results won't be equal between different brand. Just want to know if Philips has the best one?

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
Modern Samsung TV have a Game Motion Plus setting that seem pretty good at keeping the input lag at a manageable level (22,9ms from the 15,6 in regular game mode). But I can't say I've seen the result in person.

Motion interpolation works fine on my old ass plasma but that's because the lag is pretty small before the processing, I can't even tell the input difference on or off. But it doesn't seem to be the same on most TV, unless people greatly exaggerate the impact. Even then you'll still get some game that just don't work well, with artifact everywhere and little smoothness improvement.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Could you not just buy a PC and then tailor it so you get locked 60 or higher?

I wouldn't buy a tv just for this feature, personally. You're going to be disappointed by the occasional judder as interpolation can't produce a convincing frames, artifacting, blurring of random objects in the scene, judder in localized portions of the scene, rings around slow moving objects in a fast camera panning scene (and vice versa). It's cool tech but I wouldn't use it as a crutch to make gaming usable to you. These youtube videos are not good examples of the final product you will be seeing in person.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I don't want to be a brand whore, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a Philips recommended in a gaming TV thread. I think in exchange for allegedly superior interpolation you may be giving up a lot of things that other TVs do better.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
not necessarily responsiveness. I can leave with some input lag playing RDR2 or TW3 but I can't enjoy these games at 30FPS visually. The motion is horrible. And worse on Oled i suppose due to its pixel response which is greater than LCD panel.

I'm sure motion interpolation can be tweaked but the results won't be equal between different brand. Just want to know if Philips has the best one?
Well, you're right, higher framerates also bring greater clarity, but in this case the price is too steep. For me at least.

OP
OP
ppn7

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Maybe I should try at the TV store but not sure if the seller will let me plug in my console mostly if I finally don't buy anything 😅
Could you not just buy a PC and then tailor it so you get locked 60 or higher?

I wouldn't buy a tv just for this feature, personally. You're going to be disappointed by the occasional judder as interpolation can't produce a convincing frames, artifacting, blurring of random objects in the scene, judder in localized portions of the scene, rings around slow moving objects in a fast camera panning scene (and vice versa). It's cool tech but I wouldn't use it as a crutch to make gaming usable to you. These youtube videos are not good examples of the final product you will be seeing in person.
I have one but not enough performance on it and I play exclusive first party console games
It should be your last resort.
I've played a few games with it and it is just too unstable.
Which TV brand and model please ? Sometimes it can be better depending on the settings and the model I guess. But I never tried so...

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Newer Samsung TVs (is it only the upper end models though?) as pointed out above cut input lag down significantly, to the point where it is just as good as other TVs in game mode. I wish other manufacturers could employ a similar method to get motion interpolation more usable with games.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people that say interpolation is the worst thing ever have only ever seen bad implementations.

Samsung TVs have the only motion interpolation with latency low enough to be acceptable for gaming in my opinion.
The problem is that this interpolation is garbage compared to what other TVs offer outside of game mode. It's full of artifacts.

It's frustrating because some interpolation can look quite good.
This is my old Sony TV from 2010 for example:

If it was not for the latency, I'd probably use this with most console games.
That's a huge improvement in smoothness over 30 FPS, even if it's not perfect 100% of the time - and that's from over 10 years ago now.
The problem is that while enabling interpolation doesn't add too much latency by itself on this TV, the base latency is already higher than I like for gaming - so the total latency once interpolation is enabled ends up being far too high.

OP
OP
ppn7

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I feel like a lot of people that say interpolation is the worst thing ever have only ever seen bad implementations.

Samsung TVs have the only motion interpolation with latency low enough to be acceptable for gaming in my opinion.
The problem is that this interpolation is garbage compared to what other TVs offer outside of game mode. It's full of artifacts.

It's frustrating because some interpolation can look quite good.
This is my old Sony TV from 2010 for example:

If it was not for the latency, I'd probably use this with most console games.
That's a huge improvement in smoothness over 30 FPS, even if it's not perfect 100% of the time - and that's from over 10 years ago now.
The problem is that while enabling interpolation doesn't add too much latency by itself on this TV, the base latency is already higher than I like for gaming - so the total latency once interpolation is enabled ends up being far too high.

This is awesome, i wonder if there is any TV right know capable to do this, i don't see any artifact