• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The DOTY!

• Sony's PS5 showcase fallout

Votes: 27 2.9%
  • Epic vs Apple

Votes: 171 18.6%
  • COVID-19 collateral (E3's cancellation, game delays)

Votes: 395 42.9%
  • MeToo in the FGC

Votes: 113 12.3%
  • The Last of Us Part II leak

Votes: 50 5.4%
  • Other

Votes: 28 3.0%
  • Craig (Halo Infinite reveal)

Votes: 137 14.9%

• Total voters

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how anybody could pick anything other than COVID.
It's had an impact on everything we talk About and love

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see Covid as a debacle, as that's an unexpected situation where you're being led by official advice from your government and was pretty much unavoidable.

I picked the FGC abuse scandals. As someone who doesn't follow the scene, it was awful and shocking to discover the breadth of it and how little protective measures were in place.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
COVID has fucked up almost everything. There's nothing worst in 2020 than that.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
COVID-19 was unintentional so even though technically it's a debacle as in being a great disaster, the most intentional failing I'd agree with is the FGC sexual misconduct cases.

PalaceMidas

May 19, 2018
Covid is not a debacle. It's a worldwide pandemic that has completely been out of everyone's control.

Debacles are mistakes, mismanagement, things that could and should've been avoided.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Any other year it would've been "MeToo in the FGC".
But this year the DOTY in any industry or anything at all, is COVID-19.
Epic vs Apple is the only other one that makes a blip.
Oh and Ubisoft, of course. That really ought to be in the poll instead of something like "PS5 fallout", which I'm not even sure what it refers to.

You could argue that COVID is immeasurably worse than and different from what can be contained within the word debacle, and be correct, but it's meant as a stand-in term. This thread is essentially about "worst thing of the year".

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Feels unfair to include COVID in this conversation. It's something that's affected everyone and it's not like any company has handled it particularly badly. Things like E3 being cancelled or the weird next-gen reveals have been consequences of what we're living through, rather than self-inflicted debacles.

Honestly the genuine answer should be the Ubisoft shitshow, although it seems that's been going on for years, so it's kinda hard to restrict it to just this year. But it all came to light this year so I'd go for that.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Epic vs Apple has been the biggest game specific debacle. Clearly COVID has had the biggest impact on everything certainly in my lifetime but I reckon probably since the war unless anyone can correct me.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I don't know, it felt like at first, but since it's release and people have had time to play it and see that some of the leaks were wrong or misconstrued the sensible side ofpeople has come through and the unpleasant furore around it as died down. TLJ discussion went on for months and months. Don't really see much complaining anymore re TLOU2. I did see one the other day on a Facebook post but it only reminded me of what happened.

Pre- release was really unpleasant though. Feel
Sorry for the devs who had to go through that, but also people of different sexualities having to read the tirade of shit that coming from people's keyboards. It got pretty nasty.

See the game won out though, 60% completion weight and I enjoyed the discussion about the game after people finished it. Personally loved the game.

Admittedly we haven't been seeing much TLOU2 threads recently due to next-gen on the horizon, but I bet just like with TLJ the moment there's a thread that pops up with the intention of discussing plot/character details, it'll be a warzone.

EDIT: oh there is a thread just recently about Abby and Elle, wonder how that went down?

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really counting COVID, so I'd say Epic and Apple. That one could have huge implications. The rest of those options don't really compare.

Nov 4, 2017
Some of those things are life-destroying catastrophes... Calling them debacles seems dismissive and insensitive.

I voted for the Craig meme, because it's just silly fun and nobody got hurt.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Covid is not a debacle. It's a worldwide pandemic that has completely been out of everyone's control.

Debacles are mistakes, mismanagement, things that could and should've been avoided.

Yeah I don't think covid should be here really.

In terms of what had the most ridiculous social media outcry I'd say probably TLOU2. And you can bet there will be a bunch of people carrying that grudge on to the next ND game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Epic vs Apple is the one to keep your eye on, but we won't really feel the fallout of that until next year.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Only 42% for COVID? Some of you seriously need some perspective.

Half of the other choices don't even rank as "debacles" to me. I'd put the TLOU2 leak in second place, not because it was a debacle for Sony or ND, but simply because of how ridiculous the reaction got.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The fallout of COVID. Whether it's the death of E3, working from home hitting game development (particularly in Japan) or that early period of unable to print enough discs. But you can question whether it's actually a debacle, since such an event was impossible to plan for at such short notice.

The MeToo (even though it's been a large movement for several years now) was particularly large in gaming this year, not only with Smash but Ubisoft and Twitch. So you could certainly make a case there.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
MeToo including the general FGC mess, Lab Zero's implosion, and the Ubisoft allegations seems like the biggest debacle of the year to me.

Covid-19 is far-reaching, but it's not a gaming debacle.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Why would you put the PS5 showcase as a poll option over something that's actually a debacle like the Ubisoft controversy?

It has to be MeToo, whether you're talking about the FGC or Ubisoft. COVID is a worldwide debacle & nothing else on this list comes close to sexual abuse.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
The Apple Vs Epic saga I think is the big one outside of Covid.

However this year we could have the following sub categories:

• Overall Debacle Of The Year
  • Gamers (TM) - This category consists of cringe and hate movements in the gaming community.
  • MeToo - Assault in the game development circles, and the cover ups involved.
  • "Wait, that happened?" - Something was released and quickly forgotten about.
  • Funny Things - Funny moments that got memed - IE Craig.
  • "But We Have No Money!" - When a company sacks employees despite record profits, or other pricing shenanigans.
  • Bigly Huge - When an executive becomes so arrogant they screw everything up.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Covid-19 is not a gaming debacle imo.
There hasn't been that many big debacles this year fortunately.
The biggest I can think of is the big clusterfuck that Ubisoft has been this year and the EPIC vs. Apple thing.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
COVID is the biggest impact but I don't see it as a debacle. Debacles are things that are poorly managed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like COVID has been handled pretty well by the gaming industry, surprisingly.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
2020, arguably the greatest year in recent history.

(/s)

Gaming has had several widespread moments of its own, and not all of them have been happy go lucky and covered in rainbow. As we approach the end of the the double two-oh, what do you consider to be the debacle of the year so far? ^^'

(If I've missed anything feel free to throw it down below! South! Down there!!)

Ubisoft housing a bunch of awful people.

I would also go for Ubisoft culture thingy as an exemplary case as the GAme industry self made debacle.
Covids affected them most people, but it isn't coming from inside the industry or isnt industry made

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
It should be the MeToo thing or the Ubisoft culture thing but I feel like gamers cared more about Mario All Stars being limited than any of that even

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Wow... Seems a lot of you need to open a dictionary and look up debacle. I don't want to offend, but Covid isn't a debacle and shouldn't be on the list.

The only way something Covid-related could be on the list, is if a publisher forced their employees to attend their office and a bunch of of them got sick.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think COVID is the worst choice. It's terrible for practically every topic, but I think it is completely incorrect to call it a gaming debacle. Gaming is almost the entertainment / culture sector least negatively impacted by COVID: great sales and profits, a few delays... Compare it to movies, (live) music. In a way, gaming actually escaped a COVID armaggedon in comparison.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
If anything COVID was to be added, I would put it as the ridiculous abuse Sony got for cancelling events (Not E3 as they had already pulled out of that for other reasons).

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Covid aside (don't see it as a qualified option), I'd say the whole conversation around TLOU2 has been the most toxic thing I've seen all year.

Both uber-fans and uber-haters have been insufferable.